OT: - It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Woof wrote: The Eagles won the 1977 Grammy Award for Record of the Year for "Hotel California" at the 20th Grammy Awards in 1978. The song is rated highly in many rock music lists and polls; Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 49 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
Songwriter(s): Don Felder; Don Henley; Glenn ...
Released: February 22, 1977
Studio: Record Plant, Los Angeles; Criteria Stu...

No argument here on the thread, a unique idea, but to start with a song that won a Grammy for song of the year? From a idolized band that sold millions of records? This really explains how we all have a different taste. :)

Woof - no argument from me - I hear ya. I certainly like some of the Eagles stuff - Train Leaves Here This Morning, Tequila Sunrise, etc - but for some reason "Hotel" always grated on me every time I heard it, and back in '77 when this album came out, I heard it a lot. Nothing about it connected with me - the melody, the lyrics, the guitar chords, for some reason - not a thing.....!
To @Scud49 et alia. De gustibus non erat disputandum. Like many others, some songs I enjoy are on the hate list. I am certain the same is true for all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, we've looked at all angles of everything we have liked music wise, so how about the opposite approach - what songs have you essentially despised over the years?

I'll kick it off with this one:

We really need some Dislike buttons here. Not for the song for you putting in this thread. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My 2nd favorite song of all time.

Reaction Score
We really need some Dislike buttons here. Not for the song for you putting in this thread. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK Meyers, I've got to raise your spirits a bit. Off the top of my head, here's a list of some of my favorite groups/artists of all time. I'm sure you have a song or 2 amongst them you can't stand. Hit me with it :D

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Steely Dan
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Van Morrison
Joni Mitchell
Marshall Tucker Band
Flying Burrito Brothers
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Allman Brothers
CCR
Country Joe & the Fish
Joe Cocker
The Band
Bob Dylan

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This one by Neil Diamond - Holly Holy. I really liked some of his such as Solitary Man, but this one, to me, was bad, real bad:

Love Neil Diamond. Have to agree with you on this, though - except that Neil could get away with some songs because he performed them so well (live). There are a number of songs he wrote I just don't "get" the lyrics (others are actually excellent), but he excelled in performance.

Actually, Sweet Caroline isn't my favorite, like others here "over-use" wears at me. In concert, some tours, you had at least 2 extra "last verse" replays to get the audience "up".

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OK, we've looked at all angles of everything we have liked music wise, so how about the opposite approach - what songs have you essentially despised over the years?

I'll kick it off with this one:

Ditto for me.

I haven't been a fan of much popular music since I was about ten. In high school and college, I couldn't stand anything that was played too much: Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, any Southern rock . . . I've gotten over some of it, like much of Fleetwood Mac's pop stuff and Pink Floyd, but they're the exceptions.

There are two acts that have a special place in my own hell, though, and those are REO Speedwagon and Cheap Trick. In Soc class in college, the professor asked if there were any crimes worthy of capital punishment. My roommate and I turned to each other at the same time and said REO Speedwagon.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow great topic and NO shortage of material.

Notwithstanding Journey and Jefferson Starship, I'm going with The Joker by The Steve Miller Band.

I think the group is way, way overrated. Boorrring!

Good song, I'll agree not one of his best, but Steve Miller has a lot of great songs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I generally like me some John Mellencamp. Maybe because it was so overplayed, but I would be ok if I never hear this again.

Great song, every time it comes on everyone (well except you probably) sings along.

Bama fan

Reaction Score

I was okay with the song when it was released. I think Danny Pendleton on the pedal steel guitar did an outstanding job on the recorded version. :)

Bama fan

Reaction Score

Okay, @meyers7. The suspense is killing me. What is number one?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, now to really piss people off.

Not only is it the worst song ever written, dull, boring, just awful. It is also been covered by pretty much everyone and their brother/sister. Makes me sick whenever I hear it (well just the name or first couple notes, because I'll immediately change channel or turn it off before I vomit).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh yea, this was also a horrible, horrible song. And sold 20+ million. People just aren't right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom