OT: - It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....!

Reaction Score
This one is right up there with Hallelujah. Another dull, boring song with probably the worst lyrics ever written. Just a horrible horrible idea.

Ha - ok, we're even up now. :D

Reaction Score
One artist that I cant handle whatsoever - Sting.

It's his voice I think - I've never liked a single song by that guy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good song, I'll agree not one of his best, but Steve Miller has a lot of great songs.

I can't honestly remember hearing Steve Miller while I was in high school, but as soon as I got to college it seems like EVERYBODY had his greatest hits CD. I figured it was standard issue, came with checking into your dorm.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One artist that I cant handle whatsoever - Sting.

It's his voice I think - I've never liked a single song by that guy.
I can agree with you on this one. I like some of the Police stuff, but never liked Sting by himself.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Rush is a band that I've just never liked. Can't really put my finger on it, just doesn't work for me.

I really didn't like 80s stuff like Depeche Mode or The Cure, but Fine Young Cannibals in particular were fairly popular for a little while and I just thought their sound was BAD.

Oooh, "Light My Fire" by the Doors drives me nuts. Redundant, and the song just won't end.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not a particularly big fan of The Police or Sting, don't dislike them, but his song "Fields of Gold" I think is great.

Reaction Score
Not a particularly big fan of The Police or Sting, don't dislike them, but his song "Fields of Gold" I think is great.

Hey, I forgot about that one - it is a good song...! I amend my previous statement-thanks...!

And yes, there were a couple Police tunes that were decent in my book.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think this one might make the universal hate list. (But I'm sure someone will disagree) lol.

Would line dancing have even existed without this song? I feel like this song added a whole lot of fuel to the fire for people who never liked country music.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
OK, we've looked at all angles of everything we have liked music wise, so how about the opposite approach - what songs have you essentially despised over the years?

I'll kick it off with this one:

I guess you don't like guitar solo's, lyrics or metaphors. This whole album MADE the Eagles into the icons they are today. To say you despise this is worrisome, for context, what groups do you like? Then again, I am afraid of that answer...:eek:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Sympathy For the Devil - Rolling Stones. (although Natalie Merchant has a fantastic cover of it)
Well I cannot argue against that choice. Certainly in my top grouping. I was fearful that your #1 might be "Ooh to Be a Gooner". ;)

Reaction Score
I guess you don't like guitar solo's, lyrics or metaphors. This whole album MADE the Eagles into the icons they are today. To say you despise this is worrisome, for context, what groups do you like? Then again, I am afraid of that answer...:eek:

Ah, no need to be "afraid' of the answer I would say:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Steely Dan
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Van Morrison
Joni Mitchell
Marshall Tucker Band
Flying Burrito Brothers
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Allman Brothers
CCR
Country Joe & the Fish
Joe Cocker
The Band
Bob Dylan
War
Batdorf and Rodney
Ronnie Laws
Danny O'Keefe
Moody Blues
Muddy Waters
Leon Russell
Loggins and Messina
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express
Eric Clapton
Cream
Traffic
Tom Waits
Weather Report
The Dillards
Buffalo Springfield
Robin Trower
Bruce Cockburn
Bob Marley
Santana
Herbie Hancock
The Dirt Band
The Crusaders
The Greatful Dead
Laura Nyro
Goose Creek Symphony
Michelle Shocked
Steve Stills and Manassas
Les McCann
Eddie Harris
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Randy Newman
ZZ Top
The Strawbs
Warren Zevon
Rod Stewart
Bonnie Raitt
Nils Lofgren
Little Feat
The Roches
Passport
Tim Buckley
Zephyr
Poco
Pentangle
Kingfish
Duke Ellington
Bruce Cockburn
Gil Scot Heron
Shuggie Otis
Michael Franks
Jerry Jeff Walker
Derek and the Dominos
Todd Rundgren
Boz Scaggs
Booker T & the MG's
Mannheim Steamroller
David Bromberg
The Kinks
James Taylor
Mary McCaslin
Charles Brown
Jimmy Cliff
Fairport Convention
Robert Cray
David Grisman
Tom Rush
Asleep at the Wheel
Jimmy Buffet
The Corrs
Stevie Wonder

And...quite a few others, but that should give some idea. And I do like the Eagles to some extent, it's just that song grated on my ears.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ok, now to really piss people off.

Not only is it the worst song ever written, dull, boring, just awful. It is also been covered by pretty much everyone and their brother/sister. Makes me sick whenever I hear it (well just the name or first couple notes, because I'll immediately change channel or turn it off before I vomit).

Wow - another one of my favorites, although there ARE a lot of awful covers.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ah, no need to be "afraid' of the answer I would say:

Beatles
Steely Dan
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Joni Mitchell
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
The Band
Bob Dylan
Loggins and Messina
Eric Clapton
Warren Zevon
Bonnie Raitt
Nils Lofgren
Todd Rundgren
James Taylor
And...quite a few others, but that should give some idea. And I do like the Eagles to some extent, it's just that song grated on my ears.
WOW - some very cool bands on your list. Even the ones I left up wouldn't all necessarily be on my list, but again, some really, really great ones there. I would add, again, among others:

Judy Collins
The Who
ELO
Jim Croce
Harry Chapin
Neil Diamond
Jethro Tull
Elton John

And - others (of course). Like you, I do like only some Eagles, (we go to a local tribute band's Eagles show pretty regularly) though, as I pointed out, Hotel California is actually the song I like best.

Reaction Score
Ok, now to really piss people off.

Not only is it the worst song ever written, dull, boring, just awful. It is also been covered by pretty much everyone and their brother/sister. Makes me sick whenever I hear it (well just the name or first couple notes, because I'll immediately change channel or turn it off before I vomit).

If it is as bad as you say why has it been "covered by pretty much everyone and their brother/sister"?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the followup thread. Worst Inventions. :rolleyes:

Cellphone
Refrigerator
Indoor Plumbing
Computer
Air Conditioner
No talent hack Edison's electric light
TV

Reaction Score
WOW - some very cool bands on your list. Even the ones I left up wouldn't all necessarily be on my list, but again, some really, really great ones there. I would add, again, among others:

Judy Collins
The Who
ELO
Jim Croce
Harry Chapin
Neil Diamond
Jethro Tull
Elton John

And - others (of course). Like you, I do like only some Eagles, (we go to a local tribute band's Eagles show pretty regularly) though, as I pointed out, Hotel California is actually the song I like best.

Oh yea, I'm with ya - I like all those groups/artists too - I think I just got tired of typing :)

And one other just popped into mind too - Blind Faith.

Reaction Score
Another came to mind that I feel obligated to share. This song is so aggravating that they had to give it an alias.

I always thought the guy in the song was an idiot- didn't he realize his girlfriend also wanted out since she was the one who placed the personal ad he responded to in the first place??? Duh....

Reaction Score
Rush is a band that I've just never liked. Can't really put my finger on it, just doesn't work for me.

I really didn't like 80s stuff like Depeche Mode or The Cure, but Fine Young Cannibals in particular were fairly popular for a little while and I just thought their sound was BAD.

Oooh, "Light My Fire" by the Doors drives me nuts. Redundant, and the song just won't end.

For me 95% of all "progressive" rock is scratch the vinyl awful. Rush, Yes, King Crimson all that bunch for the most part make my ears bleed. OK so you and your fellow band members can play 10 minute solos on your instruments without repeating a note and all at the same time too. Big whoop. Technical proficiency alone does not make for great music IMO. You need great lyrics and singing too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom