OT: - It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For someone that will post publicly that they have always liked a song by The Starland Vocal Band, your opinion of what good music is should definitely be ignored!
Someone who doesn't like/appreciate Pink Floyd, giving music advice????? SMH.

And it figures you wouldn't like a song about sex in the afternoon. ;) Hmmmm.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And it figures you wouldn't like a song about sex in the afternoon. ;) Hmmmm.
How can one truly hate a song that says "But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might"?

Reaction Score
Every time I hear this it's like ten thousand fingernails scratching against a blackboard.

Reaction Score
When I was in high school I worked after school at a luncheonette that was the high school hangout. It had a jukebox, so what ever was popular I had the pleasure of hearing over and over and over. One song in particular absolutely made me grit my teeth and to this day if it pops up on a golden oldies channel I get a headache in the time it takes to change channels.

This Diamond Ring. Gary Lewis and the Plaboys.
And one, as I recall that song got a lot of plays for the simple reason that Gary Lewis was Jerry Lewis's son and probably Jerry pushed it. Ed Sullivan invited them onto his show. When they found out that he only allowed live performances they refused and he canceled their appearance.

Reaction Score
Woof wrote: The Eagles won the 1977 Grammy Award for Record of the Year for "Hotel California" at the 20th Grammy Awards in 1978. The song is rated highly in many rock music lists and polls; Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 49 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
Songwriter(s): Don Felder; Don Henley; Glenn ...
Released: February 22, 1977
Studio: Record Plant, Los Angeles; Criteria Stu...

No argument here on the thread, a unique idea, but to start with a song that won a Grammy for song of the year? From a idolized band that sold millions of records? This really explains how we all have a different taste. :)

Woof - no argument from me - I hear ya. I certainly like some of the Eagles stuff - Train Leaves Here This Morning, Tequila Sunrise, etc - but for some reason "Hotel" always grated on me every time I heard it, and back in '77 when this album came out, I heard it a lot. Nothing about it connected with me - the melody, the lyrics, the guitar chords, for some reason - not a thing.....!
Scud, try listening to Los Lobos version in Spanish.

Reaction Score
Little Bit of Soul. by the Music Explosion.
I started out liking it until someone in a dorm floor above me played it every night really loud during finals. When I took my exams all I could hear was the really heavy beat of that song, over and over and over again.
Cohenzone, I felt the same way about "You Light Up My Life". Went out on a first date and it turned out to be the last. She said "My favorite song ever is "You Light Up My Life". I responded by saying "Then your lights must be out". Bad rest of the night.

Reaction Score
This was played at least every hour, 24/7 on every radio station that played music until I wanted to kill Goldsboro. :mad:

Alydar, maybe not kill - just dump a jar of it over his head and then add the entire ant colony.

Reaction Score
One man's hate - another's pleasure. I liked Hotel California from when I first heard it. I also don't mind Yellow Submarine - but will admit, it is pablum.

For a bad song by a famous group - I personally have never cared for "My Generation" by the Who. Was a big Who fan in college (dang, that was a long time ago) but never liked what some consider one of their "signature" songs.

For "just dreadful - turn it off" - I'm handicapped because I probably did. I'll suggest "Mambo Italiano" as being up there.
Ah, no Knightbridge, not Rosemary Cloony. Maybe it wasn't her best but "Hey There" made up for it.

Reaction Score
My next door neighbor when I was at UConn used to play this gem every night. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ah, no Knightbridge, not Rosemary Cloony. Maybe it wasn't her best but "Hey There" made up for it.
Forgot it was one of hers. My most recent hearing was a young fellow named Ethan Bortnick, who is a child prodigy and played with the local symphony. Prior to that, Dean Martin's version.

A couple years ago we attended a "dinner-club" performance that was a tribute to Rosemary Clooney. I suppose the singer did this song, but I don't remember.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My next door neighbor when I was at UConn used to play this gem every night. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row.

Not exactly on point because I liked the song but. When I was at UConn in the mid 60s, they had (still have?) a fund raising week called Campus Community Carnival. All week long WHUS would play requests for money pledges. The Dean of Men, (do they still have that?) was a guy named Jack Dunlop, who rightly or wrongly wasn’t well liked. Every year, somebody, I don’t know who, would pledge god knows how much, to have Hit the Road Jack played about 20 times in a row.

Jogging my memory, which is a pile of useless information the best pledge request ever was when a frat house dedicated the song “Wild Weekend” to a sorority and the sorority pledged back “The Happy Organ”.

Reaction Score
Not exactly on point because I liked the song but. When I was at UConn in the mid 60s, they had (still have?) a fund raising week called Campus Community Carnival. All week long WHUS would play requests for money pledges. The Dean of Men, (do they still have that?) was a guy named Jack Dunlop, who rightly or wrongly wasn’t well liked. Every year, somebody, I don’t know who, would pledge god knows how much, to have Hit the Road Jack played about 20 times in a row.

Jogging my memory, which is a pile of useless information the best pledge request ever was when a frat house dedicated the song “Wild Weekend” to a sorority and the sorority pledged back “The Happy Organ”.

Simpler days when we had our priorities sorted. :)

Reaction Score
Scud, try listening to Los Lobos version in Spanish.

I just did. Oh man, still bad, real bad. Now I have "Cal-lee-four-nia going through my head for the rest of night.

Reaction Score
Cohenzone, I felt the same way about "You Light Up My Life". Went out on a first date and it turned out to be the last. She said "My favorite song ever is "You Light Up My Life". I responded by saying "Then your lights must be out". Bad rest of the night.
Your line should have ended the date right there and then. It might have been a tad harsh, but the young often lack the filter between brain and mouth. Aside from your dates hurt feelings (and yes, feelings count) it was probably best for both of you to know early on that happiness lay elsewhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was played at least every hour, 24/7 on every radio station that played music until I wanted to kill Goldsboro. :mad:
Hideous.
Question: Which makes you want to stick a spindle in your ear more, that or this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom