If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC?

Reaction Score
First time head coach who has a known dream of coaching... might have a chance

Zero chance. His work at SMU will garner him far better offers in states he is familiar with. I can’t think of a less appealing job than UCONN. No support from administration on assistant coaching salary, no league affiliation.

Needs to be a guy from lower levels making $500,000 a year as a head coach AND someone who is extremely motivated to win with no support and no resources. It’s a tall task but I believe there are coaches like this in FCS and D 2.

Reaction Score
Ok, so Tulane has dumb players. What school has the dumbest posters?

Seriously? That’s what you come up with? I will make sure I run grammar check after every post and mail back my diplomas in shame. My apologies for the egregious grammatical error.

Reaction Score
Seriously? That’s what you come up with? I will make sure I run grammar check after every post and mail back my diplomas in shame. My apologies for the egregious grammatical error.
Sorry, couldn't resist, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Compounded by posts discussing dumb Tulane players.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Needs to be a guy from lower levels making $500,000 a year as a head coach AND someone who is extremely motivated to win with no support and no resources. It’s a tall task but I believe there are coaches like this in FCS and D 2.

This is the wrong type of thinking.

The reason this is the wrong type of thinking is pretty simple, actually. If you are looking for a diamond in the rough on the cheap, then you need to have a highly competent organization capable of identifying that person out of all the others who would make your footbal situation worse.

What recent news about our current organization gives you confidence that they can identify the diamond in the rough??? No. We need to pay more so that we can get more. And not just the head coach, but the assistants as well...

Reaction Score
This is the wrong type of thinking.

The reason this is the wrong type of thinking is pretty simple, actually. If you are looking for a diamond in the rough on the cheap, then you need to have a highly competent organization capable of identifying that person out of all the others who would make your footbal situation worse.

What recent news about our current organization gives you confidence that they can identify the diamond in the rough??? No. We need to pay more so that we can get more. And not just the head coach, but the assistants as well...

Exactly. That’s the depressing part. There are geniuses at lower levels just waiting for a chance. It will take a commitment to find and hire them. No confidence we have administration who can.

And assistant coaching salary is huge. And that doesn’t look like it will ever change unfortunately.

If I’m running the show? I’m looking for a young head coach at FCS or D2 level who has won at that level and has clear vision on roster management and recruiting. Strong management and communication skills. Runs a 21st century offense. Then I would overpay for recruiters (doesn’t matter what their assistant coach title is) - dynamic coaches who know how to recruit kids in the 21st century.

This team needs an overhaul in X’s and O’s and Jimmies and Joes.

Reaction Score
I think Randy is part of the problem - reminds me of how Woody Hayes couldn’t adjust to the passing game changes at the time.
Susan is thankfully gone now as is Larry McHugh , who influenced hiring.
The conference is an issue but scheduling could mitigate it.
If we don’t have people who can’t get the job done they need to be let go and bring in people who can apply fresh thinking.

I can't wait to see Edsall punch an opposing player. Lol

Reaction Score
Lowering academic standards for football would be huge mistake. The reason UConn exists is for academics, not football. The coach needs to work with what he’s got and make the players better. The fans need to have realistic expectations for UConn football. The ceiling for UConn football is probably 4-5 wins in a good year and 6-7 wins in an exceptionally good year.a’ UConn would also need to schedule strategically to achieve those results ( meaning very few P5 games).

Good athletics make a school more attractive to all students. UConn's incoming classes improved greatly when BB started getting good. I don't buy the "lowering standards for football would be a huge mistake" argument. If big time football can work at state universities across the country, it can work for UConn. It is a shame that New England - and Connecticut, in particular - have such a snobbish attitude when it comes to D1 sports.

Reaction Score
Good athletics make a school more attractive to all students. UConn's incoming classes improved greatly when BB started getting good. I don't buy the "lowering standards for football would be a huge mistake" argument. If big time football can work at state universities across the country, it can work for UConn. It is a shame that New England - and Connecticut, in particular - have such a snobbish attitude when it comes to D1 sports.
If UConn did slightly lower their standards for football recruiting, another benefit might be more interest from available head coach candidates. The big question is would the BOT and the new president go along with that?

Reaction Score
I completely agree. You offer a competitive salary to all of your coaches. You hire a HC that would instantly add credibility to your program. And recruits will come, the stadium would fill up, TV would want us, etc.
Maybe we can hire the next Scott frost for 35 million and get beat by 30 to Minnesota?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The incredible overrating of Randy's first stint is endlessly amusing to me. He did a good job. But that's all. Some of you talk about it like he didn't get an incredible break by being in a weak, schizophrenic league that had an auto-bid to the BCS. They were 8-4. Basic analytical analysis pegged them as 58th out of 120 teams across FBS that year. Light years better than now, but hardly anything exceptional.
Maybe, but given that it looks questionable that Randy will win 8 games in his entire second tenure with the school, winning 8 games in a single season seems like nirvana.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The Kennesaw State coach currently makes 500k per year.

And he's built the program from literally nothing. They started playing football in 2015 and, after a middling first two years, he's had them in the FCS quarterfinals twice with two Big South titles.

He makes 500K. He runs the triple option. He knows how to build a program (or at least works for a school that knows how to build a program). Brian Bohannon checks all the boxes if we could pry him from the state of Georgia -- which I'm just about 100% sure we can't.

Reaction Score
The flaw in this "Fire Edsall" theory is that it seeks to fix the problem by reaching for something that can be controlled. A new coach can't solve the underlying structural problems:

1. No conference.
2. No bowl affiliation.
3. No media exposure..
4. No money.
5. No support for football inside the administration.
6. No reasonable expectation this program will exist in five years.

A coach isn't coming to UConn to build UConn into greatness. He would come to leverage UConn into a better job elsewhere. That means there has to be a path forward for this prospective coach. Where is that visible path given the structural defects that surround the program? He isn't going to come to UConn just to sink with the ship.

The University won't pay enough to attract a quality coach. Any up and coming FCS coach with potential will avoid this situation like he would avoid cholera. You could hire a disgraced former coach looking to get back into coaching. You could take a flyer on an unknown who would with virtual certainty be worse than Edsall.

The problem isn't the coach. The problem is the administration. The administration knows all too well what it is doing. And why.
This and unlike PP and Diaco. Edsall is the athletic director’s hire. If he cans Edsall now, it’s on him.

Reaction Score
Jerry Kill. Built Northern Illinois and resurrected Minnesota. Almost had him join that time to save Diaco. At a minimum, he could stop the bleeding.
He was my choice three years ago. Not sure if he'd leave VT, now if he wants a another challenge, maybe.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Scott Frost was the hottest coach a few years ago with tremendous success. Nebraska got killed yesterday by Minnesota and is doing poorly, Nebraska has an extremely high paid coaching staff and they are still losing,if frost gets fired maybe he would come here?
no

Reaction Score
If UConn did slightly lower their standards for football recruiting, another benefit might be more interest from available head coach candidates. The big question is would the BOT and the new president go along with that?
Make the standards equal to what they were for MBB under Calhoun. If he was granted 3 reaches every year, apply that % to football. Create a few personal skills courses to keep them eligible and allow 1 or 2 in from the general student population to make it legit. So what if your grad rate drops to <90% if it results in your win rate going to over 80%?

Reaction Score
Make the standards equal to what they were for MBB under Calhoun. If he was granted 3 reaches every year, apply that % to football. Create a few personal skills courses to keep them eligible and allow 1 or 2 in from the general student population to make it legit. So what if your grad rate drops to <90% if it results in your win rate going to over 80%?

I think that is a perfect ratio - and some of those kids will be successful in the classroom too. No need to mention names but we all know a few kids (all conference types and even an all American) who wanted to go to UCONN but had to go elsewhere because of the stupid standard set.

Reaction Score
If this happens and they go the cheap route, UConn football is almost certainly headed to FCS or termination. If so, this discussion is not worth having. It simply won't matter.

This discussion should focus on whom you would want if cost is no object. All in on a big name who got terminated and tarnished for one reason or other and wants to pull off a miracle as his latest rabbit out of the hat and thus obtain redemption, resurrection as a coach who walks on water, and a ticket back to the big time. Of course, if he pulls all that off, he WILL be back in the bigtime.

Now, who might such a coach be ....

Reaction Score
The football program (and all athletic programs within the athletic department) need to be able to sustain themselves without relying on the CT tax payers or the students to subsidize the athletic department. That really is the bottom line. At some point the programs can either sustain themselves or the can’t. At that point someone is going to need to make a financial decision.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
This discussion should focus on whom you would want if cost is no object. All in on a big name who got terminated and tarnished for one reason or other and wants to pull off a miracle as his latest rabbit out of the hat and thus obtain redemption, resurrection as a coach who walks on water, and a ticket back to the big time. Of course, if he pulls all that off, he WILL be back in the bigtime.

Now, who might such a coach be ....

RE 3.0?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom