If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC? | The Boneyard

If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC?

Reaction Score
Obviously getting ahead of myself, but in theory, lets say Benedict fires Randy Edsall December 2nd.... Who's realistically on short list of potential HC to go after?

Give some names and why.

Reaction Score
FF5B0356-ECC4-4E41-8998-E2665C7CF975.jpeg

Reaction Score
The flaw in this "Fire Edsall" theory is that it seeks to fix the problem by reaching for something that can be controlled. A new coach can't solve the underlying structural problems:

1. No conference.
2. No bowl affiliation.
3. No media exposure..
4. No money.
5. No support for football inside the administration.
6. No reasonable expectation this program will exist in five years.

A coach isn't coming to UConn to build UConn into greatness. He would come to leverage UConn into a better job elsewhere. That means there has to be a path forward for this prospective coach. Where is that visible path given the structural defects that surround the program? He isn't going to come to UConn just to sink with the ship.

The University won't pay enough to attract a quality coach. Any up and coming FCS coach with potential will avoid this situation like he would avoid cholera. You could hire a disgraced former coach looking to get back into coaching. You could take a flyer on an unknown who would with virtual certainty be worse than Edsall.

The problem isn't the coach. The problem is the administration. The administration knows all too well what it is doing. And why.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Availability aside there are several options that would do a better job then Edsall. I'd even accept a small patch of brown liquid.

Reaction Score
Obviously getting ahead of myself, but in theory, lets say Benedict fires Randy Edsall December 2nd.... Who's realistically on short list of potential HC to go after?

Give some names and why.
Scott Frost was the hottest coach a few years ago with tremendous success. Nebraska got killed yesterday by Minnesota and is doing poorly, Nebraska has an extremely high paid coaching staff and they are still losing,if frost gets fired maybe he would come here?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you want to find someone who doesn't understand where this program really is and how it got here, you only need to ask if they think firing Edsall is a good idea.

You should instead worry about Edsall deciding that he doesn't need this anymore.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with his abilities as a coach or the W/L record. This program currently has nothing to offer anyone. Coaching candidates, recruits, or fans. What it offers is a chance for marginal players access to quality facilities and a quality education. The 1AA transition was well worn territory compared to this. The entire CFB cabal is shunning the program, portions of it deliberately. Apparently the combination of a monster BB program and a non-legacy aspiring FB program are repulsive to the establishment.

When we have a FB schedule, a TV contract and win more than 4 games a season, we can then talk about coaches in the same way the rest of CFB does. Instead, we should be asking what we need to do to help Randy attract the NFL draft picks that we know he can. Yeah, the play calling is sub-optimal but that has nothing to do with guys getting blown past or knocked on their backs.

If Randy leaves the next guy will be someone who isn't nearly as qualified or invested in the program. He will be someone dumb enough to take their first HC job with no chance of succeeding making it his last HC job.

This is where we are. Let Randy attempt to fill out a decent roster until we can be confident the program will resemble a real D1 FBS program and not the CFB equivalent of the Washington Generals.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The incredible overrating of Randy's first stint is endlessly amusing to me. He did a good job. But that's all. Some of you talk about it like he didn't get an incredible break by being in a weak, schizophrenic league that had an auto-bid to the BCS. They were 8-4. Basic analytical analysis pegged them as 58th out of 120 teams across FBS that year. Light years better than now, but hardly anything exceptional.

Reaction Score
Recruiting has always been the linchpin of football success. A good coach certainly helps but it’s the players that count the most. In New Orleans last night with some LSU alums. They said only a “handful of their players” could ever get into UConn or Tulane. I said we don’t need LSU players. Tulane’s would do just fine. Give Edsall those players.

Reaction Score
Lowering academic standards for football would be huge mistake. The reason UConn exists is for academics, not football. The coach needs to work with what he’s got and make the players better. The fans need to have realistic expectations for UConn football. The ceiling for UConn football is probably 4-5 wins in a good year and 6-7 wins in an exceptionally good year.a’ UConn would also need to schedule strategically to achieve those results ( meaning very few P5 games).

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Recruiting has always been the linchpin of football success. A good coach certainly helps but it’s the players that count the most. In New Orleans last night with some LSU alums. They said only a “handful of their players” could ever get into UConn or Tulane. I said we don’t need LSU players. Tulane’s would do just fine. Give Edsall those players.
I disagree with the "dumb kids are better at football than smart kids" argument. There are plenty of smart kids who attend good schools who are good at football: ND, BC, Stanford, Georgia, Wisconsin, Texas, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, etc.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the "dumb kids are better at football than smart kids" argument. There are plenty of smart kids who attend good schools who are good at football: ND, BC, Stanford, Georgia, Wisconsin, Texas, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, etc.
That’s the problem. That coveted combination of “smart and good at football” players have some pretty darn good choices before considering UConn.

Reaction Score

I bet you believe in Santa too.

Reaction Score

They don’t want to come to Connecticut.

Reaction Score

Here’s the problem. Many of Tulane’s players can’t get into UConn either.

Reaction Score
Scott Frost was the hottest coach a few years ago with tremendous success. Nebraska got killed yesterday by Minnesota and is doing poorly, Nebraska has an extremely high paid coaching staff and they are still losing,if frost gets fired maybe he would come here?

Absolutely no shot even if he is fired. I don’t think people understand how pathetic are coach salary pool is compared to others.

C

Chief00

The problem isn't the coach. The problem is the administration. The administration knows all too well what it is doing. And why.
I think Randy is part of the problem - reminds me of how Woody Hayes couldn’t adjust to the passing game changes at the time.
Susan is thankfully gone now as is Larry McHugh , who influenced hiring.
The conference is an issue but scheduling could mitigate it.
If we don’t have people who can’t get the job done they need to be let go and bring in people who can apply fresh thinking.

Reaction Score
I think Randy is part of the problem - reminds me of how Woody Hayes couldn’t adjust to the passing game changes at the time.
Susan is thankfully gone now as is Larry McHugh , who influenced hiring.
The conference is an issue but scheduling could mitigate it.
If we don’t have people who can’t get the job done they need to be let go and bring in people who can apply fresh thinking.

No question Randy version 2.0 is part of the problem. His talent evaluation has been horrid and his coaching on par with his recruiting.

But without question the death blow to this program was delivered by a horrendous administration (thanks President Herbst!) and terrible AD hires.

Spend the money to be competitive or shut it down.

Reaction Score
I will just ask again, how much are basketball assistants (both men’s and women’s) paid compared to football coordinators. And how much are basketball head coaches paid compared to football.

C

Chief00

I will just ask again, how much are basketball assistants (both men’s and women’s) paid compared to football coordinators. And how much are basketball head coaches paid compared to football.
Good head coaches you got to pay a minimum of $3.0M for starters. MBB assistants I think make between $275,000 and $325,000. A good football coordinator you should pay at least $450,000 at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom