If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC?

Reaction Score
I had to look him up. He's spent his whole life on the west coast and is currently the HC at Hawaii. You'd have to give me one spectacular raise to leave Hawaii for the northeast.
That brings up the question, does the next HC need to have some kind of NE connection or is that overrated?

The head coach no, but it is imperative to get dynamic recruiters on the staff.

Reaction Score
I just started subscribing to The Athletic...thought Sports Illustrated has gotten stale.

Great article on how Willie Fritz is building at Tulane...not sure if you can read it without a subscription:

Who is that young and upcoming guy who might be willing to give it a shot at UCONN if Coach Edsall decides to get out, or is let go?

I'll throw at name out there who might be worth going after.......Phil Longo, OC at North Carolina. Here is his bio:

Reaction Score
Why leave Hawaii tho? It’s a Mtn. West member and they can recruit decent players every once in a while.
And for the past years our HC’s could recruit decent players. They were all sub par. Mtn west teams hate to say it are good teams that can compete. Good recruiting from that conference

Reaction Score
I'll throw at name out there who might be worth going after..Phil Longo, OC at North Carolina. Here is his bio:

His name has come up on here a few times in the past... Think the last time was for OC.

Reaction Score
Maybe off thread a bit, but down here in Charlottesville, 2 Athletic financial gifts of note. This year: One from an alum for $7 Million which is distributed among Student Health Services Center but also all athletic upgrades and an anonymous $5 Million gift strictly for athletics. UVA kicking off a 5 BILLION Dollar Fund raising Campaign. 2 major Private gifts to UVA just this year, 2019, one, the largest in School history, $120 Million for a Data Sciences Center and just 2 days ago a combo gift of $100 Million from a 1961 graduate alum from Rochester New York.
One other note, the ladies softball team is in the process of building an absolutely beautiful stadium/field. For those unfamiliar, the first class Baseball Stadium, the combo Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium, UVA Track Stadium, and now the Softball Stadium are all literally rubbing shoulders with each other right across the street from the 15,000 seat John Paul Jones BB area that opened in 2006 and the relatively new ladies Field Hockey facility. The 61,500 seat Scott Football Stadium is a leisurely half mile walk down a tree lined street. Yeah, UVA is loaded. Someone in the thread mentioned about academics and difficulty perhaps getting certain athletes, if an athletically minded qualified kid is looking at UConn and UVA..., well, they don't have to take a bus to the football stadium...Go Huskies.
That's exactly the world our new President Tom Katsouleas just came from. He’s familiar with it all. One of his main drawing cards was his engineering background (as compared to SH’s liberal arts) to significantly increase the size and number of government grants for STEM and move UConn up the research food chain (AAU). Lots of private money is also needed to raise the endowment. I’ve already been asked to lunch by UConn Foundation folks They are on the prowl. You’ll be next so get ready. People engaged in discussions like these who show concern about UConn’s future (in any field) are low hanging fruit. Here, we’re concerned about football. Bottom line he knows all about how important football and facilities count and how costly they are. He lived it at UVA.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the world our new President Tom Katsouleas just came from. He’s familiar with it all. One of his main drawing cards was his engineering background (as compared to SH’s liberal arts) to significantly increase the size and number of government grants for STEM and move UConn up the research food chain (AAU). Lots of private money is also needed to raise the endowment. I’ve already been asked to lunch by UConn Foundation folks They are on the prowl. You’ll be next so get ready. People engaged in discussions like these who show concern about UConn’s future (in any field) are low hanging fruit. Here, we’re concerned about football. Bottom line he knows all about how important football and facilities count and how costly they are. He lived it at UVA.

Well I hope he figures out the secrets quickly... UVA and Investment in football

Reaction Score
His name has come up on here a few times in the past... Think the last time was for OC.
Any relation to Johnny "Babe" Longo? A great name in the history of football in the state of Connecticut. Reason I ask is the Longo's had relatives in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. My dad played against Longo when he starred at Ludlowe in the 1940's, and they played together at UB. Back in those days Harding and Ludlowe had a great rivalry.

Reaction Score
The flaw in this "Fire Edsall" theory is that it seeks to fix the problem by reaching for something that can be controlled. A new coach can't solve the underlying structural problems:

1. No conference.
2. No bowl affiliation.
3. No media exposure..
4. No money.
5. No support for football inside the administration.
6. No reasonable expectation this program will exist in five years.

A coach isn't coming to UConn to build UConn into greatness. He would come to leverage UConn into a better job elsewhere. That means there has to be a path forward for this prospective coach. Where is that visible path given the structural defects that surround the program? He isn't going to come to UConn just to sink with the ship.

The University won't pay enough to attract a quality coach. Any up and coming FCS coach with potential will avoid this situation like he would avoid cholera. You could hire a disgraced former coach looking to get back into coaching. You could take a flyer on an unknown who would with virtual certainty be worse than Edsall.

The problem isn't the coach. The problem is the administration. The administration knows all too well what it is doing. And why.
This has so much logic and understanding of the broader picture I have to say, in BY fashion, BS.
You must be an Edsall apologist to spew this utter garbage.

Reaction Score
Obviously getting ahead of myself, but in theory, lets say Benedict fires Randy Edsall December 2nd.... Who's realistically on short list of potential HC to go after?

Give some names and why.
Who would take it? Diaco Part Deux.?

Reaction Score
Obviously getting ahead of myself, but in theory, lets say Benedict fires Randy Edsall December 2nd.... Who's realistically on short list of potential HC to go after?

Give some names and why.
Jerry Kill, John Marinelli, TJ Weist, Addazio if BC fires him, maybe a few others. Kill would be my first choice, and was my first choice before Edsall was hired three years ago.

Reaction Score
Jerry Kill, John Marinelli, TJ Weist, Addazio if BC fires him, maybe a few others. Kill would be my first choice, and was my first choice before Edsall was hired three years ago.

You really want a coach that may not make it through a season? I like Kill but just based on his history of seizures I’d pass

Reaction Score
Jerry Kill can’t be head coach due to his condition, but he’d be an awesome OC.

Marinelli, no way.

Addazio, it seems risky to hire a guy that can’t succeed at a school 90 miles away with P5 to sell.

Weist, no idea if it would be a good idea, but I like TJ. He’s just got a great attitude.

Personally, I’d like to hire someone that is killing it in FCS. I want a coach that has won a lot of games as a head coach and only lost a relative few. Its the safest way to pick a winner.

Reaction Score
You really want a coach that may not make it through a season? I like Kill but just based on his history of seizures I’d pass
He may have a history of seizures, but whatever program he tried to rescue he pretty much got the job done. What he did at Northern Illinois and Minnesota was pretty impressive IMO.

Reaction Score
Jerry Kill can’t be head coach due to his condition, but he’d be an awesome OC.

Marinelli, no way.

Addazio, it seems risky to hire a guy that can’t succeed at a school 90 miles away with P5 to sell.

Weist, no idea if it would be a good idea, but I like TJ. He’s just got a great attitude.

Personally, I’d like to hire someone that is killing it in FCS. I want a coach that has won a lot of games as a head coach and only lost a relative few. Its the safest way to pick a winner.
Then hire TJ or Marinelli (both would be cheap) as head coach and offer the OC to Kill. Anything's better than Edsall.

Reaction Score

Nutso

Reaction Score
Nutso
If you're saying it would be better to keep Edsall than hiring any of those four, then I think you're off your rocker. Christ, fire Edsall and have Dave Benedict coach the team.

Reaction Score
A guy with CT HS coaching? Kill is not healthy. And Weist ... I watched those same games. Sorry. I’m absolutely unimpressed. With those 3.

Again. We can pay $1.0-1.5m (we paid Diaco more). We should NOT gamble on a OC again. No more Assistants (includes Weist). I don’t care how good.

Our move needs to be success at the level below us at HC. I’d look CAA. (Like East Carolina did). But why not Buffalo’s Leipold or Eastern Michigan’s Creighton. Both won big at DII. Then BUILT a Program from trouble at FCS. At a MACschool! We can pay double. We are a Far Better Brand. #3? I checked the CAA & all the HC I’d look at are 57-63. So I’ll go Maine HC Joe Harasymiak. Not Minnesota. But a HC success.

There’s realism.

Edsall? Look. He is building recruiting class after recruiting class. Better players that Pasqualoni or Diaco ...and lots. It will be good to follow him - THIS TIME

Reaction Score
A guy with CT HS coaching? Kill is not healthy. And Weist ... I watched those same games. Sorry. I’m absolutely unimpressed. With those 3.

Again. We can pay $1.0-1.5m (we paid Diaco more). We should NOT gamble on a OC again. No more Assistants (includes Weist). I don’t care how good.

Our move needs to be success at the level below us at HC. I’d look CAA. (Like East Carolina did). But why not Buffalo’s Leipold or Eastern Michigan’s Creighton. Both won big at DII. Then BUILT a Program from trouble at FCS. At a MACschool! We can pay double. We are a Far Better Brand. #3? I checked the CAA & all the HC I’d look at are 57-63. So I’ll go Maine HC Joe Harasymiak. Not Minnesota. But a HC success.

There’s realism.

Edsall? Look. He is building recruiting class after recruiting class. Better players that Pasqualoni or Diaco ...and lots. It will be good to follow him - THIS TIME

Hyrasmiak is a good choice but can Benedict convince him to leave Minnesota as an assistant for the head coaching job at UConn? That being said, Uconn needs a guy that has shown he can recruit in the Northeast and is not afraid to recruit elsewhere.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I like your Rossomando and Harasymiak ideas as the first priority. Briles? Why not. We literally have nothing left to lose. Would love to watch that hot mess, good or bad.

Putting points up puts butts in the seats.

This program has nothing left to lose at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom