Ice Brady out for the season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene both went down with ACL tears during the 2007-2008 season. As I recall, Kalana was first (against South Carolina) and Mel's happened later against Syracuse. That was Maya's freshman season. The team made it to the Final Four but lost to Stanford in the semi-final game.

Caroline Doty tore her ACL twice while at UConn: First, during the 2008-2009 season, and Second, the summer before the 2010-2011 season. Caroline also tore her ACL while in high school.
True. I forgot about Mel Thomas (shame on me).

Reaction Score
We were talking about the confluence of UCONN INJURIES but the nitwit nitpick boneyard continue to find it infinitely wise to waste our time nitpicking. And How do YOU know when Paige's injuries happened? The first knee injury was almost a complete mystery as we didn't see it until she was just walking down the floor. Do you think a knee cap injury happens with no contact at all? Unlikely. Or an ACL? Injuries in general often involve contact. Look at how they play. If the ball hits the floor they are taught to dive for it.
Like everyone else except you I saw it happen with the hyperextension when her foot slipped. And when diving on a loose ball the legs are not planted which virtually eliminates chances of a patella dislocation or an ACL tear. Do some research.

Reaction Score
UConnCat, and sun ,again well stated. Forego,great post regarding the amount and frequency of activity. I am a firm believer of having scheduled down time , both mentally and physically. Responding to WFFL, UConn is not going to loose a few games, and probably not one, because of the injury to Ms. Brady.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Teams such as ...?
How about ND? In 2017 the Irish lost Brianna Turner to an ACL tear heading into March madness. The following year, 2018, with Turner still rehabbing her torn ACL from the prior season, ND lost 3 more players to ACL tears. Oh by the way, despite the loss of 4 players to ACL injuries, ND still won the national championship in 2018, playing basically a 6 player rotation down the stretch.

Reaction Score
The problem with many injuries isnt when they come to UConn. The problem starts before they get to UConn because of the work they put in over the months and years before they come to UConn. In many instances players over work themselves without taking a break and work hard. This leads to stress weakening and over use of certain parts of the body. Eventually at some point the result is injuries. So next season Paige and ICE are back . For this season we have to get on track without them. We still have a very talented team.
seems like the training should be tailored to account for this

Reaction Score
How about ND? In 2017 the Irish lost Brianna Turner to an ACL tear heading into March madness. The following year, 2018, with Turner still rehabbing her torn ACL from the prior season, ND lost 3 more players to ACL tears. Oh by the way, despite the loss of 4 players to ACL injuries, ND still won the national championship in 2018, playing basically a 6 player rotation down the stretch.
And they lost Achonwa I forget which year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Teams such as ...?
Looking at 2 of the other powerhouse programs from the last 15-20 years:

Tennessee:
2001-lost reigning player of the year Tamika Catchings to an ACL mid year
2004-lost starting point guard Loree Moore mid year to an ACL
2005-Candace Parker, Sidney Spencer (starter), Alex Fuller, Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood all out with full season or season ending injuries
2006-Alexis Hornbuckle (4 year starter) injured mid year, left Tennessee without a point guard. She did come back in the tournament but was a shell of herself.
2009-Vicki Baugh tore her ACL in the title game and was recovering, then retears her ACL mid year. Projecting starting PG Cait McMahan retires due to injuries.
2010-projected starter Vicki Baugh is out all year recovering from ACL
2012-starter Kelley Cain retires before the season due to injuries (although she'd later declare for the draft and be a top 10 pick)
2014-lost starting PG Ariel Massengale to season ending injury
2015-lost leading score Izzy Harrison mid year to an ACL. Likely starter Mercedes Russell redshirts due to injury.
2020-Starter Zaay Green tears ACL early in year, out for season
2022-Starters Jordan Horston/Marta Suarez with season ending injuries. Rae Burrell missed the first 2 months and never found the same form from her previous breakout year. Rotation player Keyen Green also tears ACL.

Notre Dame:
(I don't know their program as well, but here are some of the marquee injuries):
2007: Starter Lindsay Schrader out with ACL
2008: Devereaux Peters with season ending ACL injury.
2009: Peters and Brittany Mallory with ACL injuries
2011: Kayla McBride leaves team mid year to deal with off court issues (not the same as an injury but worth noting)
2012: Madison Cable out all year with injuries
2014: lost starting All American center Natalie Achonwa to ACL in the NCAA tournament
2017: lost All American Brianna Turner to an ACL in the NCAA tournament
2018: lost 4 players to ACLs including All American Brianna Turner and Lili Thompson who played 27 mpg
2020: Anaya Peoples season ending injury, Abby Prohaska health problems and was out for the year
2021: Natalija Marshall out with ACL

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And they lost Achonwa I forget which year.
Achonwa tore her ACL during the 2014 NCAA tournament. Without Achonwa, ND’s run for a national championship that year came up short to UConn in the championship game.

Reaction Score
Achonwa tore her ACL during the 2014 NCAA tournament. Without Achonwa, ND’s run for a national championship that year came up short to UConn in the championship game.
Oh that's right. That's the game where Stewie and Stef owned them on the hi-lo and they got up 20-8 right out of the gate before Muffet had to call an early time out.

Reaction Score
Guys..guys... first off, speedy recovery to Ice.. My heart breaks for her..

The reality: Ice hasn't played a second in an Uconn uniform. Yes, it's a loss to the team , but it's not a significant loss in any way whatsoever. This team has played without Paige before and made it to the NCAA tournament. So I'm confident this team will still be top 10 in the country without Ice. Sad but true.

What I can't to see is how much more stronger Ice is going to get for next season. These types of injuries are normally the ones that allow the athlete to come back even stronger than before the injury.

Reaction Score
What I can't [wait] to see is how much more stronger Ice is going to get for next season. These types of injuries are normally the ones that allow the athlete to come back even stronger than before the injury.
Me, too! Also, I can't help thinking that a year off from intense training might be just what Ice (and Paige) needs.

Reaction Score
Feel for this kid … 3000 miles from home to play ball at her dream school and now injured for the season. Hope she heals quickly in body and mind.
This is what I thought of as well. Sucks for sure.

Reaction Score
Now PB has her first (and hopefully only) staff addition this season. Maybe she can get Sue to be an honorary staff member since she has some free time this winter.

Reaction Score
I was talking about UCONN INJURIES, not one specific injury. Try some reading comprehension. And I coached soccer for 25 years so I've seen many ACL injuries. Players get tangled up and fall on each other and it happens. Lots of injuries happen when players hit each other, fall on each other, have their legs twisted and broken from contact with each other.
Just keep moving those goalposts.

Reaction Score
@UConnCat - why dislike the post above? This is a very real question. This many injuries is just not even fathomable.
Questioning is ok, but I don't believe Uconn has more injuries than others.
What Uconn has --is VISiBILITY---more people from around the country follow the Uconn Husky Women--the Boneyard is testimony to that belief.
These young ladies, such as ICE, played for most of their 12 years of school in AAU, high school, some middle school. You can't tell me they had better Trainers all that time than Uconn has now.
Defecation Occurs --and with women in their late teens it seems they are more likely to pick up an injury.
Question but when anyone states ---more than other schools--use facts, I don't have them.

Reaction Score
Coincidencecausality

If that is not immediately obvious, here's an example that may help illustrate it:

Maine has, I'm told, the oldest population of all the states.
Lincoln County has the oldest population in Maine.

Lincoln County also has an unusually large number of Subaru Forresters, mostly dull silver.

So there is a coincidence of loads of folks in my age cohort—not exactly spring chickens—and loads of Subarus painted the same color. You can assume either (1) getting old requires that people buy silver Subarus, or (2) owning a Silver Subaru causes people to age or (3) having a silver Subaru extends life expectancy.

All three assumptions are hogwash. There is a strong association or coincidence, but zero causality.
I thought the ---reality was----old people in Lincoln County Maine are Subaru's with silver hair.--

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What????? I don’t find that a bit humorous.
Well, in his defense, the woman is a known menace.

Reactions: Jim
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer