OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Henri was just officially upgraded to a hurricane.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m a bit confused by the news right now. Talking about a catastrophic apocalyptic storm then actually give the forecast and say 40 mph gusts and 2 inches of rain.
Not saying I’m not prepared/concerned but it just seems off.

Reaction Score
I hate driving on days like this. I was just out picking up a few last minute things and you would think it's already the apocalypse. We've got people blowing red lights and rolling through stop signs. Pulling out into traffic without looking. Not paying attention to their surroundings and blocking traffic. It's not even raining yet lol

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on my street is mowing their lawn today. Any practical reason for this or people just anticipating not being able to mow for a while.

Reaction Score
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on my street is mowing their lawn today. Any practical reason for this or people just anticipating not being able to mow for a while.
probably just the latter. nicer to pick up sticks and use the chainsaw when the grass is cut too.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yeah I'm gonna mow today because I usually do it on the weekend and I'm not going to be able to tomorrow lol.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm gonna mow today because I usually do it on the weekend and I'm not going to be able to tomorrow lol.
I have a service that comes Tuesdays. Might not be til Wednesday or Thursday this week?

Reaction Score
That's why I mentioned it's expensive to do after the fact. Time and labor to disrupt that type of ground and make progress with power lines.

Sandy soil is also a reason why last September Sally dumped 25" in my area in about 24 hours. I had 18" of standing water in my backyard. Took about a day for it to drain through the soil. I have about 2" of dirt before it becomes a sandy mix.

And that hard bedrock, paved streets and rivers whose banks are firmed up, are also why the flooding will be so severe with only 5 inches of rain. The expression is true. Water will find its level. NYC will be a mess. Expect the videos of waterfalls of water flowing down the steps in to the subways. Also, all those people who pay the premium price to build on the coastline, will see the perils of that choice. Me thinks the mansions at Newport should survive quite nicely up on their cliffs. Those homes closer to the water line, are gonna get soaked.
Recently, I talked to a man who has a home on the shore in East Haven and he told me he spent $100,000 to elevate the house, which saves him $6-7000 a year in flood insurance. Though, even with that, a car would get flooded or swept away unless he left his car at a higher elevation somewhere else , before the storm.

So yes, living on the coastline, has its downside unless you buy a house already elevated.

Reaction Score
I hate driving on days like this. I was just out picking up a few last minute things and you would think it's already the apocalypse. We've got people blowing red lights and rolling through stop signs. Pulling out into traffic without looking. Not paying attention to their surroundings and blocking traffic. It's not even raining yet lol
Me too. For example, this morning I got aggressively honked on Main Ave in Norwalk for turning right onto a gas station. I guess I didn't turn fast enough?

@M.S.G.: I'm back at my school on Tuesday. We're a backcountry campus with old trees galore and we've gotten a fair share of "no electricity" days off for a while. During Sandy, we didn't have school for a full week and that following weekend a group of teachers went to the Giants/Steelers game. At that game, we got the text from the school that we were closed the following day, clutch.

We'll see what happens on Tuesday...can't expect Zoom meetings either if people are without power.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolute freak show at the grocery store, holy moly.. Some of these people look like they haven't been out in public for a while..
I went at 6am and I wasn’t even the first one in the parking lot. Stocked up on groceries, gas for the generator, and propane for the grill. Lines at the gas station were already starting to form.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
When the CEO of Eversource goes on TV and projects a 50% outage across the state and up to ten days to recover, for a storm with top winds of 70-75 MPH along the coast and 50-60 MPH inland, he is admitting total negligence. He should have submitted his resignation on the spot.
He is too busy trying to defraud South Windsor residents with fake stories of streets that cant be torn up to install gas lines.

don’t get me started…..

Reaction Score
As far as odd/unique.

Turn your fridge and freezer to coldest settings now. Put deli meats and cheeses in to the freezer. They can freeze and take a day or two to defrost and still be safe to eat.

Charge up all your mobile chargers, top off your car. If you lose power and get warm, you can sit in your car outside and let the A/C cool you down while you use/charge mobile devices.

Get propane tanks filled up. Check out camping sections for that smaller propane tanks for portable grills. There are adapters to step up or step down from big grill to portable grill propane tanks.

Water, water, water. Fill anything you can with potable water now. If you have cases of water bottles, put them in the freezer. They become ice cubes once the power goes off and they melt in to drinkable water.

Any battery powered tools- get those chargers powered up.

If you have a portable generator, for the love of god, don't run it indoors- carbon monoxide poisoning is real.

Flashlights and batteries. 'nuff said.
All of this is excellect advice - and I say this as a resident of central Florida since 1985, having lived through several hurricanes (the last being Irma).

Making ice is really important. Even if you use just tap water, fill any empty plastic containers with water and freeze them.

And even if you think it's weird to use as a container, use it. I've used empty vitamin and pill bottles in the past, as well as empty water and protein drink bottles. The smaller sizes fit great within the little nooks and crannies between the foods in your freezer and will help keep it cold.

Any excess container ice you make can go into the refrigerator. You can also put it in coolers holding perishables like milk, deli meats, etc. so you don't have to open the refrigerator door.

You can always melt the container ice in your houseplant pots after the storm, so as not to waste the water.

It's also good to have a designated safe room in case of tornadoes. Having a full tank of gas, plus extra for generators, as well as batteries, are givens.

Lastly, you guys will be fine. Don't buy into the storm hysteria of the media. Just use common sense and stay safe.

Reaction Score
Absolute freak show at the grocery store, holy moly.. Some of these people look like they haven't been out in public for a while..
Seems kind of silly to stock up on food, It's not like anyone will be housebound for a week from an 8 hour rainstorm. No matter what happens we will be free to roam on Monday.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m a bit confused by the news right now. Talking about a catastrophic apocalyptic storm then actually give the forecast and say 40 mph gusts and 2 inches of rain.
Lots of hype and LI is shielding most of CT. I’m just praying winds blow offshore so the surf forecast is good for RI.

Reaction Score
We have plenty of trees to love in places that are not in close proximity to power lines. No one—I repeat no one—in our neighborhood is arguing against the removal of any of the precarious ones, which have gone untended for years.

Your workers are great, hard working people and I gather that you are no exception.

Your company sucks, and sucks us dry without providing acceptable service.

Somewhat like Nat Grid here in Rhody... and my gosh...the trees....there's so many obvious tree threats around this area (South County)...and rarely if ever, do you see any pre-emptive tree work taking place. All set with the generator and beer fridge, but Jim "Thunder Snow" Cantore is in town (Roger Wheeler Beach) and that's NEVER a good sign. Stay safe everyone..

Reaction Score
Seems kind of silly to stock up on food, It's not like anyone will be housebound for a week from an 8 hour rainstorm. No matter what happens we will be free to roam on Monday.
Yeah, I do the reverse thing: don't go to the grocery store before a big storm.

If/when the power goes out, we cook with whatever we have before it gets rotten. Once the power is back, then I go to the grocery store.

Reaction Score
1) The forecast is possible to change depending on the direction.
2) It's only barely a Cat 1. It's more unique to the area than devastating, although certain areas will get hit hard.
3) The storm will lose potency quickly over land, so the further inland, the lighter the winds and rain will be. And the way the banding of the rain works some areas will get dumped on and others will barely see anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom