OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Well, now you can buy an l"I got blown by Henri" tee, this being a progressive era and all.

I was on the Cape for Bob, and shirts with "I survived Bob's blow" were selling like hotcakes.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Folks, if you're in Connecticut, please be patient with us after the storm.

I work for that natural Monopoly that everyone hates. This is looking like it'll be a bad one.

It's going to take time to put everything back together. Stay off the streets and away from down power lines. Please please be safe and let the crews work.

Once the cleanup is done you can complain all you want.

I don't know how confident they are. My area news is saying 40 to 50% chance of rain Sun and Monday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sand/clay isn’t bedrock. I laugh at people who say bury the lines having never dug 3 ft+ down in New England

That's why I mentioned it's expensive to do after the fact. Time and labor to disrupt that type of ground and make progress with power lines.

Sandy soil is also a reason why last September Sally dumped 25" in my area in about 24 hours. I had 18" of standing water in my backyard. Took about a day for it to drain through the soil. I have about 2" of dirt before it becomes a sandy mix.

And that hard bedrock, paved streets and rivers whose banks are firmed up, are also why the flooding will be so severe with only 5 inches of rain. The expression is true. Water will find its level. NYC will be a mess. Expect the videos of waterfalls of water flowing down the steps in to the subways. Also, all those people who pay the premium price to build on the coastline, will see the perils of that choice. Me thinks the mansions at Newport should survive quite nicely up on their cliffs. Those homes closer to the water line, are gonna get soaked.

Reaction Score
I don't know how confident they are. My area news is saying 40 to 50% chance of rain Sun and Monday.
Last I saw this morning, the whole state of Connecticut was under at least a TS Warning with New Haven Middlesex and New London under Hurricane Warning. Will be super interesting so see how things track.

Reaction Score
That's why I mentioned it's expensive to do after the fact. Time and labor to disrupt that type of ground and make progress with power lines.

Sandy soil is also a reason why last September Sally dumped 25" in my area in about 24 hours. I had 18" of standing water in my backyard. Took about a day for it to drain through the soil. I have about 2" of dirt before it becomes a sandy mix.

And that hard bedrock, paved streets and rivers whose banks are firmed up, are also why the flooding will be so severe with only 5 inches of rain. The expression is true. Water will find its level. NYC will be a mess. Expect the videos of waterfalls of water flowing down the steps in to the subways. Also, all those people who pay the premium price to build on the coastline, will see the perils of that choice. Me thinks the mansions at Newport should survive quite nicely up on their cliffs. Those homes closer to the water line, are gonna get soaked.
It’s would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and decades. Not feasible

Reaction Score
The westward track of the storm makes it look like we'll have some rough winds here in Norwalk. Along with the storm surges, let's hope we don't have another Irene situation when a few blocks of SoNo were submerged underwater with boats floating down Water Street.

Any odd/unique storm preparations?

After last year's tropical storm, I've learned the importance of grinding our coffee beans the night before the storm. We brew our coffee on a Chemex, so all we need is hot water (boil water on the grill) and our filters.

#thegrind

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I used to work for a utility contractor in Florida that was redesigning circuits for storm hardening. The whole idea was to beef up the poles. Broken poles take the longer to remove and replace than it does to replace equipment and put the lines back up. We were pulling wooden poles and replacing with concrete.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was a student at UConn when Gloria hit.

One enterprising student made and sold “I got blown by Gloria” t-shirts. I bought one.

Gloria got the football game at the Yale Bowl cancelled. One of the biggest party days of the year during that dark period for hoops....

Reaction Score
I used to work for a utility contractor in Florida that was redesigning circuits for storm hardening. The whole idea was to beef up the poles. Broken poles take the longer to remove and replace than it does to replace equipment and put the lines back up. We were pulling wooden poles and replacing with concrete.
Is your current info showing the storm tracking more inwardly into Central CT or is it mostly shoreline? Speaking specifically about St of CT.. Thx

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was on the Cape for Bob, and shirts with "I survived Bob's blow" were selling like hotcakes.
The movie What About Bob? was out then and I remember lots of plays off of that.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don’t remember Bob either but I do remember G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria. Some stations played that song as the hurricane approached.
We lost power for a week
The main road was block as what I believe was a tornado knocked down the huge Oaks lining it like they were bowling pins
scary stuff.
I also remember the Hurricanes of the late 40’s and 50’s.
I was on a Boy Scout weekend camping trip in a cabin when we got hit with te remnants of a Hurricane around 1957-58 . I had an upper bunk near a window on the south side of the cabin.
the wind and rain pounded that window.
My mom told me stories about the 1938 storm I’m kinda of glad I missed that one. This storm hit without very little warning.

Damage in coastal Rhode Island following the 1938 New England hurricane
  • September 21, 1938 – 1938 New England hurricane – This storm made landfall on Long Island and Connecticut as a Category 3 hurricane. Wind gusts reached Category 5 strength in eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts west of Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod. The anemometer at the Blue Hill Observatory registered a peak wind gust of 186 mph (299 km/h) before the instrument broke. The hurricane lost strength as it tracked into interior areas of New England, but it is believed to have been at Category 2 intensity as it crossed into Vermont and at minimal Category 1 intensity as it tracked into Quebec. The storm killed over 600 people and is considered to be the worst hurricane to strike New England in modern times.
We use this storm when teaching using primary sources in 4th grade. The whole situation was just crazy! No one believed a Hurricane would hit this area so when warnings came in, they were not taken seriously. There weren't the same types of weather radar so detection wasn't as up to date. There were still people out on the beach on LI when the hurricane started rolling in. We have the kids read articles from the Courant and other local papers. One article talks about how students were released from school only to be brought into homes of neighbors, one was even their school teacher! It really was just an amazing storm.

Reaction Score
The boat launch near us is a shhet show. The state pulled the docks yesterday afternoon. Made worse by folks wanting to get out fishing. I was able to get out early yesterday morning. Hope for everyone's safety

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Seems like the track basically shifts a tiny bit east or west but the result is still the same, we get slammed. It's going to come down to how strong it remains as it moves up. I saw one or two people say that the storm has a chance to lose intensity more as it moves up....If the storm stays a little west we get slammed with wind, a little east we get wind but more rain (which we definitely don't need!)

In the end, it looks like this ain't gonna miss us. Let's hope the power stays on or comes back quicker than the longer time frames they were predicting yesterday

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The westward track of the storm makes it look like we'll have some rough winds here in Norwalk. Along with the storm surges, let's hope we don't have another Irene situation when a few blocks of SoNo were submerged underwater with boats floating down Water Street.

Any odd/unique storm preparations?

After last year's tropical storm, I've learned the importance of grinding our coffee beans the night before the storm. We brew our coffee on a Chemex, so all we need is hot water (boil water on the grill) and our filters.

#thegrind

As far as odd/unique.

Turn your fridge and freezer to coldest settings now. Put deli meats and cheeses in to the freezer. They can freeze and take a day or two to defrost and still be safe to eat.

Charge up all your mobile chargers, top off your car. If you lose power and get warm, you can sit in your car outside and let the A/C cool you down while you use/charge mobile devices.

Get propane tanks filled up. Check out camping sections for that smaller propane tanks for portable grills. There are adapters to step up or step down from big grill to portable grill propane tanks.

Water, water, water. Fill anything you can with potable water now. If you have cases of water bottles, put them in the freezer. They become ice cubes once the power goes off and they melt in to drinkable water.

Any battery powered tools- get those chargers powered up.

If you have a portable generator, for the love of god, don't run it indoors- carbon monoxide poisoning is real.

Flashlights and batteries. 'nuff said.

Reaction Score
This is an excellent site

Tropical Tidbits
Big fan of tropical tidbits. Levi’s YouTube videos are also very easy to understand and informative. As a tropical weather nut, I find myself bouncing between there are r/tropicalweather about every hour this time of the year.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t planning on heading to my spot in RI this weekend but heading there now to buckle up the 40 footer. It’s about 200 yards from the ocean and anything can happen. Closing all the bumps putting the bikes and Blackstone away, may take some things back home. Hope it’s still standing and the Ocean Mist stands strong as well.

Everyone stay safe!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wasn’t planning on heading to my spot in RI this weekend but heading there now to buckle up the 40 footer. It’s about 200 yards from the ocean and anything can happen. Closing all the bumps putting the bikes and Blackstone away, may take some things back home. Hope it’s still standing and the Ocean Mist stands strong as well.

Everyone stay safe!!!
Get yourself a Crabby Benny, a side of corned beef hash and a spicy bloody or two at the Ocean Mist beforehand and the work will be much easier!

Reaction Score
Get yourself a Crabby Benny, a side of corned beef hash and a spicy bloody or two at the Ocean Mist beforehand and the work will be much easier!

Bingo 8893. Kind of would like to watch the storm from the deck but don’t think it would be a good idea. That place has weathered a lot of storms let’s hope it’s ready for another.

Have you been there, new bar was finished in July. Bigger bar area and no outdoor bar in the back corner anymore. Nonetheless the same ol great place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bingo 8893. Kind of would like to watch the storm from the deck but don’t think it would be a good idea. That place has weathered a lot of storms let’s hope it’s ready for another.

Have you been there, new bar was finished in July. Bigger bar area and no outdoor bar in the back corner anymore. Nonetheless the same ol great place.
Went there for breakfast (and ate exactly that meal, which is my go-to there) in early July and sat outside; they were still finishing up the renovations inside and bar was wrapped in plastic and they were still using the outdoor bar then.

Lucked into a late lunch reservation at Matunck Oyster Bar later in the week and enjoyed their new indoor/outdoor setup and a great meal as always.

Reaction Score
Went there for breakfast (and ate exactly that meal, which is my go-to there) in early July and sat outside; they were still finishing up the renovations inside and bar was wrapped in plastic and they were still using the outdoor bar then.

Lucked into a late lunch reservation at Matunck Oyster Bar later in the week and enjoyed their new indoor/outdoor setup and a great meal as always.

The Oyster Bar is set up beautifully. The roof top is a great venue. Might grab some oyster stew to go while down here!

Reaction Score
We are closing on our 1919 Craftsman cottage on Monday in Mystic, come hell or high water. At least we have the walk through before we sign the papers. We rode out Gloria and Bob in Mystic, then moved to Ledyard. Irene and Sandy were the absolute worst out here; no power for 2 weeks. But we both lived on wooden boats and have extensive off shore experience.... and it's pretty much like camping. Time to fill the oil lamps.
Aburks41, stay safe down there at GLP. Or just go to the Fisherman.
Good luck to you guys. I hope all the restaurants in Mystic make it out alright, the last thing they need after almost a year of limited business is major storm damage. I’ll probably order a bunch of pizzas from Pizzetta tonight and just enjoy the show lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom