OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Reaction Score
I get unpredictability and that it is no public service to downplay a weather event that might mean life and death to somebody, but, with all the coverage it is hard to even say what is accurate. The networks gave a lot of information that seemed conflicting rather than accurate. I have a boat docked in Rhode Island in Narraganset Bay and couldn't make any sense of the actual weather conditions yesterday. I had multiple feeds going at the same time that were real time winds and weather, as well as weather stations, regular tv channels etc. I'm being told the storm has sustained winds of 58 to 69mph with gusts over 70 as it is passing over Block Island. The Block Island wind report is showing 36mph while they are giving the report. I had a Warwick wind speed feed on that never got above 26mph. Later in the day I'm told that the high wind for the day was reported in Worcester at 40mph. Previously I was told there was a report of 76mph at Point Judith. I have no idea what really occurred other than overall not much.

I have learned it is important to stand in a puddle to give a weather report, or to drive all around Newport to find the tree that is down to give a weather report from there. Also important to be located at a spot where water collects and a car might stall in it. The reports themselves seem to err on the side of sensationalism rather than public service accuracy. A huge amount of input. I have no idea which of my inputs were accurate. Was the 58 to 69mph stuff not at ground level where it is useful information? No idea.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Given everything he posts on this site in reference to the media and non-basketball posts, I think there's a 100% chance he believes they're being purposely inaccurate
I know plenty of folks like them. The fix is in everywhere. The National Weather Service had the warnings and they are just trying to provide information.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That Fox 25 team has some FIRE on it.. Shiri Spear for sure but I’m a huge Sarah Underwood is like the 3rdbass holy grail IMO.. what a shame that she’s married to that absolute tool Felger from Sports Hub!

She dated Nomar for a long time before he met up with Mia Hamm.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Matt Caron battles heavy winds in Old Saybrook (msn.com)
check out the birds flying around as hypester sells his wares. wait, whut? the animal kingdom doesn't know what's up? eh, no. hard no.
homeowner then sez 'worst i've seen it in august in my time here.' for those keeping score at home, last august's spinner was way, way, windier than this water one.
State of Emergency: Isaias Knocks Out Power to Over 700,000 in Conn.; Restoration Could Take Days – NBC Connecticut
yup, 'worst he's ever seen.' i guess he moved in last september.
still trying to wrap my head around last year's blow, which brought almost no rain here. weirdorama.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For those who have been out of the portable gas container market for a bit, things are pricier and way more complicated.

Bottom line for me is I have four 5-gallon gas cans and one 1-gallon can. My one gallon can is for the lawn mower. It has the old school style nozzle. I lost the cap for it a few years ago so I went to Ace hardware and found a PVC cap that fits perfect.

Two of my 5-gallon cans are the old school and two are the newer style. The new style nozzle contraptions are abhorrent human factors and ergonomically a mess. My solution for the two newer ones is to take them to the gas station fill them up and put the nozzle on them. when I actually needed to pour gas out of them I put on one of the older style nozzles.

This was definitely a solution in search of a problem. I hope no one actually thinks the amount of gas spilled from portable containers was causing any negative environmental issues beyond a brown patch on your lawn.

Gas can near me: How to find a good one, easy-pour spouts (usatoday.com)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'My solution for the two newer ones is to take them to the gas station fill them up and put the nozzle on them. when I actually needed to pour gas out of them I put on one of the older style nozzles.'

u and all the rest of us, coast to coast, who have to actually use them on a regular basis. this is what happens when a bunch of monkeys sit inside, and then proceed to issue 'old tomatos' (phonetically) to the rest of us ditch diggers meaning no harm to the environment, stuck wondering 'seriously?' now, aboot that exit plan from bactria..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those who have been out of the portable gas container market for a bit, things are pricier and way more complicated.

Bottom line for me is I have four 5-gallon gas cans and one 1-gallon can. My one gallon can is for the lawn mower. It has the old school style nozzle. I lost the cap for it a few years ago so I went to Ace hardware and found a PVC cap that fits perfect.

Two of my 5-gallon cans are the old school and two are the newer style. The new style nozzle contraptions are abhorrent human factors and ergonomically a mess. My solution for the two newer ones is to take them to the gas station fill them up and put the nozzle on them. when I actually needed to pour gas out of them I put on one of the older style nozzles.

This was definitely a solution in search of a problem. I hope no one actually thinks the amount of gas spilled from portable containers was causing any negative environmental issues beyond a brown patch on your lawn.

I have three of the 2.5 gallon size (seems standard?). One old nozzle with a cap and a valve release in the back. Two with the newer style. They were for lawn mower, small engine stuff and snowblower. Now that I have people cut my grass, I just buy the expensive cans of pre-mixed oil/gas zero ethanol for my small engine stuff and use the old style for my snowblower.

Reaction Score

Funnels aren’t only for beer.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So my neighbor texted my father in law (the previous owner of my home) all bent out of shape that “mud from my yard” got into their pool saying we need to add extra drainage to our yard so it doesn’t happen again.

We have a swale (which granted my FIL did let get a bit overgrown) that flows into an actual town sewer drain, and some drains built into our back garden. There is TONS of drainage.

The town drain was inundated and the swale did flow into his yard a bit at the height of the storm. I had a massive pond in the backyard as well all. There was also seepage in the basement which FIL says has NEVER happened in 30 years.

The INSTANT the rain subsided a little bit the swale was moving in the right direction and the water disappeared in my yard.

His muddy pool is not a reflection of my drainage. It is a reflection of us having two tropical storms in a 4 day span on top of the rainiest summer in years. It is also a result of him building a pool in the lowest point of his marshy yard.

If we get 8 inches of rain over the course of a weekend again he gets more mud in his pool I’ll do something to fix it. Until then, maybe dig yourself a nice little French drain.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So my neighbor texted my father in law (the previous owner of my home) all bent out of shape that “mud from my yard” got into their pool saying we need to add extra drainage to our yard so it doesn’t happen again.

We have a swale (which granted my FIL did let get a bit overgrown) that flows into an actual town sewer drain, and some drains built into our back garden. There is TONS of drainage.

The town drain was inundated and the swale did flow into his yard a bit at the height of the storm. I had a massive pond in the backyard as well all. There was also seepage in the basement which FIL says has NEVER happened in 30 years.

The INSTANT the rain subsided a little bit the swale was moving in the right direction and the water disappeared in my yard.

His muddy pool is not a reflection of my drainage. It is a reflection of us having two tropical storms in a 4 day span on top of the rainiest summer in years. It is also a result of him building a pool in the lowest point of his marshy yard.

If we get 8 inches of rain over the course of a weekend again he gets more mud in his pool I’ll do something to fix it. Until then, maybe dig yourself a nice little French drain.
Is he sure it was mud?

Reaction Score

You aren’t responsible for acts of God. Call that heathen out!

Reaction Score
Contrasting @JonnyRI acknowledging his Rhody home and company target rich location pre-Henri, who was it that downplayed almost any possible storm-related inconveniences? Hopefully JonnyRI fared OK.

Reaction Score
Lost power Sunday morning around 11am...restored today around 11...
So weird...windy and rainy for a couple hours...then, decent weather. I grilled outside Sunday, no problem. Followed by great weather the next couple days...not sure what took so long...

The buildup was huge, the damage was medium large, and the after weather was perfect. Restoration game needs to be stepped up. My thoughts are that here in RI, crews were programmed "we start Monday."

Repeat PSA: Take half the out of state crews you hire for these storms...and Knock. Down. Some. Freekn. Trees. Good grief. some of the pics you see from around here are like..."wow, never ever would've thought that massive dead tree would fall on those power lines right below it." ftp......

ETA: Just noted the 'new gas can' references. I have a gas powered generator (that ran like a freekn champ for 48 hours) and I finally took the nozzle off and poured without it. A word about the generator though...

We used to have a propane one that covered about half the house...but it needed to be replaced at a higher cost than a new one. We also have a gas powered one that I bought at Cabella's in East Hartford after the 'storm that cancelled Halloween in South Windsor." Been using that one and that thing has been absolutely amazing...runs for about 12 hours on a tank of gas, which seems to be about 2.5 - 3 gallons. Powered the fridge (to me, the absolute biggest WTF situation in non-electric times) and a couple fans.... We were just lucky it didn't get scorchin' hot...

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
People in southern New England love trees and hate losing power. People in Southern New England also get a extreme weather somewhat frequently.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
People in southern New England love trees and hate losing power. People in Southern New England also get a extreme weather somewhat frequently.

Underground lines seems like a simple solution to both.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Underground would be great, but the expense would be astronomical.

The answers are obvious but would go cesspool so I won’t get into it.

Needless to say there is a lot of wasteful spending that could be reallocated

Reaction Score
The answers are obvious but would go cesspool so I won’t get into it.

Needless to say there is a lot of wasteful spending that could be reallocated

And it looks like they maybe are doing just that...massive trees on our street (70-80 footers) - that we've been trying to get removed for years - started coming down today*. I like trees, but it's not like they'd go extinct if you cut down every tree within falling distance of power lines...

*As those who've seen it can attest...lumberjacking 70-80 foot trees over a street takes some skill. Dude is up there in a bucket working a chainsaw around with one hand like it's a tennis racket...great stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom