OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm a conspiracy theorist. Supermarkets control the weather forecasts to increase sales and profit.
Well it had the opposite effect on us. We lost so much food after Isaias last summer that we actually tried to empty our fridge and freezer this time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I’m sitting on my deck in sunshine right now with no rain and no wind, 25 miles down the coast ( almost right on the sound) from where this hit land. Weirdest weather thing I’ve ever experienced. Meanwhile my future in laws 8 miles from here in Essex are out .
I'm sure your future father in-law has Eversource installing a whole-house generator right now.

Congrats on the engagement. Didn't know.

Reaction Score
I’m sitting on my deck in sunshine right now with no rain and no wind, 25 miles down the coast ( almost right on the sound) from where this hit land. Weirdest weather thing I’ve ever experienced. Meanwhile my future in laws 8 miles from here in Essex are out .
I assume you were in the eye of the storm then...Looks like the eye - or at least whats left of it - was in SE ct a little while ago.

Reaction Score
Now what an I gonna do with my months supply of bread, milk, and eggs?
IMG_8620.jpg

My Friday brunch: An egg sandwich with french toast-ed waffles. Will make again tomorrow to honor my last day of summer break before returning back on Tuesday.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Predicting weather, let alone tropical systems, with any sort of accuracy in terms of location, track, and intensity more than a day or two in advance is notoriously next to impossible.'
no, it's not. my pals and i do it a lot, and many, many others as well. it's called normal people, hmmmm, outdoorsy types, who often look up and around, and can remember things for longer than a nanosecond. works pretty well for other things too, like health and finance.
it is often hype and fear mongering for the shut in crowd who apparently live their lives indoors, watching tv. the good thing is that we're getting wise to all the baloney.
Gallup: American Trust in Media Plummets; Only Congress Less Trusted (mediaite.com)
found here in these pages yesterday eve.
'next up? henry going over the wall of the gulfstream, a good thing. changes, particularly for windspeed lessening, are reasonable expected.'
noaa, now (the source! accept no substitutes!);
'Henri's presentation in both satellite and radar imagery has
degraded significantly since the previous advisory due to the
cyclone having moved over much cooler water
.'
you know who else knew of this likely possibility? local seafarers from 300 years ago. im pretty sure they didn't have cable.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm sure your future father in-law has Eversource installing a whole-house generator right now.

Congrats on the engagement. Didn't know.
Yeah he makes them jumpy.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Couldn’t get it on the plane.
get well soon. i forget if it was ankle or knee rubber bands that you messed up, but as soon as you reasonably can, get into that surf to a level above the problem, and walk. u'll cut way down on ur healing time.
salt water is magic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Getting whacked really bad in South Windsor at the moment. Water coming in the fireplace
Some people here are knocking on TV weather incompetence and its focus on ratings over substance, as though it's not a good thing Henrí for many reading this resembles a nothingburger result toward the back end of a Death Storm (mis-)prediction thread during basketball season.

Meantime, your post comes in with the kind of stuff many feared, and the only reaction you gets (so far) is a Like from a poster who regularly gets told, "Shut up."

Well I'm not ready to say, "Big deal - I had a squirrel with its tail aflame come down my chimney" and wave you away just so I can complain that charlatans made me waste a day, and I didn't even get
some untreated sewage in the system overflow finding its way down my block.

I hope that by now you've related and endured the worst of it. As images go, water down the chimney's a good one.

Good wishes to you and anyone else for whom the weather forecasts applied. I'm grateful for an easy time of it so far.

Reaction Score
I think I’m the only person in Southern RI who never lost power. Clean up time.

Tried to insert pix of my fire pit burning nine feet high but file too big to load.

Hope things not too bad in CT
Brutal Damn hurricane messed up my hairdo

Reaction Score
Shiri Spear here in Boston is like that. Knows how to rock a dress though.

We lost power around 11:30-1:30. Not bad.
That Fox 25 team has some FIRE on it.. Shiri Spear for sure but I’m a huge Sarah Underwood is like the 3rdbass holy grail IMO.. what a shame that she’s married to that absolute tool Felger from Sports Hub!

Reaction Score
No idea what that means - but shame on them for inciting panic for this, and every other, “storm” to hit the area.
When it comes to mother nature you should always err on the side of caution. We all saw what happened with Katrina, Maria, Sandy...Currently there's 21 dead and 45 missing in Tennessee and at least 35 missing in North Carolina due to flooding from tropical storm Fred and I've hardly heard anything about it, that's strange to me.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
When it comes to mother nature you should always err on the side of caution. We all saw what happened with Katrina, Maria, Sandy...Currently there's 21 dead and 45 missing in Tennessee and at least 35 missing in North Carolina due to flooding from tropical storm Fred and I've hardly heard anything about it, that's strange to me.
There are problems with causing widespread panic. Loss of confidence in the people supplying the information, shortages, short term inflation, productivity loss, increased stress and anxiety of the population. I think giving the most accurate depiction of what’s happening is the best approach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are problems with causing widespread panic. Loss of confidence in the people supplying the information, shortages, short term inflation, productivity loss, increased stress and anxiety of the population. I think giving the most accurate depiction of what’s happening is the best approach.
I don’t think you understand hurricanes. The data was accurate. The forecasts rarely are because it is like trying to predict the path of a cork bobbing in the ocean. One little shift affects the entire path, and those shifts happen constantly. Do you think they are not trying to be accurate?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Problems is there are some people in the state who are experiencing the worst predicted weather. Massive flooding,loss of power, etc.

Thing to remember is those predictions aren't a guarantee that everyone will experience those conditions, it's a prediction some will experience them.

Hubris is the worst attitude to take in to one of these storms. And yes, even in 2021 with some of the strongest computer models, hurricanes are still a crap shoot of 60-90 miles of predictability.

Reaction Score
Problems is there are some people in the state who are experiencing the worst predicted weather. Massive flooding,loss of power, etc.

Thing to remember is those predictions aren't a guarantee that everyone will experience those conditions, it's a prediction some will experience them.

Hubris is the worst attitude to take in to one of these storms. And yes, even in 2021 with some of the strongest computer models, hurricanes are still a crap shoot of 60-90 miles of predictability.
They also have aircrafts going into these hurricanes through out its path to gain a more accurate information. Mother nature is going to be mother nature how can you really predict that?

Reaction Score
They were giving the most accurate reports from what the radar modeling was telling them, it weakened when it hit cold waters like often happens up north and it shifted multiple timesaving, at least that's my limited understanding of what happened...

It does seem like Fred and the Southern states sure got short shrift on the coverage though, there's towns all over the place down there that ate wiped out and there's cars in tree. I never even heard of Fred until about an hour ago and I've been watching a tremendous amount of cable news lately. Chris Cuomo was going on and on about the Hamptons earlier today and no mention of RI and eastern CT. where this storm was actually hitting and nothing on Fred. I have to imagine people in the South are wondering, what about us?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They also have aircrafts going into these hurricanes through out its path to gain a more accurate information. Mother nature is going to be mother nature how can you really predict that?

Borderline bucket list is going for a ride in the Hurricane Hunters once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom