OT: - Hurricane Henri | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, I fear this one deserves its own thread, not piggybacking on Fred's thread.

I remember Bob. I was living on the Vineyard at the time and it was one of the best and most memorable times ever because we were young and carefree and we partied our asses off for days.

Thirty years later I am not quite as sanguine about it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best of luck to everyone up there.

Should go without saying, but prep for no water and no power for a few days. Start filling up anything you can with drinkable water. Remember you can flush a toilet by filling up the tank with water.

And don't be stupid driving on flooded roads. you have no idea what has happened to the road surface below the water.

4' of tidal surge and 5-7 inches of rain are manageable- even with lakes and rivers flowing from rain earlier in the week.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Best of luck to everyone up there.

Should go without saying, but prep for no water and no power for a few days. Start filling up anything you can with drinkable water. Remember you can flush a toilet by filling up the tank with water.

And don't be stupid driving on flooded roads. you have no idea what has happened to the road surface below the water.

4' of tidal surge and 5-7 inches of rain are manageable- even with lakes and rivers flowing from rain earlier in the week.
You don't even need to fill the tank. Pour a bucket directly into the bowl and everything will go down.

Reaction Score

I remember Bob. I was living on the Vineyard at the time and it was one of the best and most memorable times ever because we were young and carefree and we partied our asses off for days.

I don't remember Bob, but I vaguely remember Gloria.

Reaction Score
Folks, if you're in Connecticut, please be patient with us after the storm.

I work for that natural Monopoly that everyone hates. This is looking like it'll be a bad one.

It's going to take time to put everything back together. Stay off the streets and away from down power lines. Please please be safe and let the crews work.

Once the cleanup is done you can complain all you want.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Folks, if you're in Connecticut, please be patient with us after the storm.

I work for that natural Monopoly that everyone hates. This is looking like it'll be a bad one.

It's going to take time to put everything back together. Stay off the streets and away from down power lines. Please please be safe and let the crews work.

Once the cleanup is done you can complain all you want.
Trim the trees all around our wires, dammit!

Sorry, just wanted to get that way out-of-the-way now, because that is what is going to cause most of the problems, at least in my area.

Reaction Score
Trim the trees all around our wires, dammit!

Sorry, just wanted to get that way out-of-the-way now, because that is what is going to cause most of the problems, at least in my area.

No doubt about it! Trees are the enemy! They did some precutting ahead of the storm.

It's a never ending battle. People love trees. People love electricity. Trees hate power lines.

Reaction Score
With Henri on its way I can't help but think of that song "Move Over Babe (Here Comes Henry)" by Bill Slayback in 1973 as Henry Aaron was closing in on Babe Ruth's then record total HR of 714. "Move Over Babe....Hank's Hit Another...."

That aside, I wish everyone safety during the storm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No doubt about it! Trees are the enemy! They did some precutting ahead of the storm.

It's a never ending battle. People love trees. People love electricity. Trees hate power lines.
We have plenty of trees to love in places that are not in close proximity to power lines. No one—I repeat no one—in our neighborhood is arguing against the removal of any of the precarious ones, which have gone untended for years.

Your workers are great, hard working people and I gather that you are no exception.

Your company sucks, and sucks us dry without providing acceptable service.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have plenty of trees to love in places that are not in close proximity to power lines. No one—I repeat no one—in our neighborhood is arguing against the removal of any of the precarious ones, which have gone untended for years.

Your workers are great, hard working people and I gather that you are no exception.

Your company sucks, and sucks us dry without providing acceptable service.

I wish everyone was able to say it that way! I appreciate that. Stay safe! I hope your trees survive and can be taken down safely!

Reaction Score
When the CEO of Eversource goes on TV and projects a 50% outage across the state and up to ten days to recover, for a storm with top winds of 70-75 MPH along the coast and 50-60 MPH inland, he is admitting total negligence. He should have submitted his resignation on the spot.

Reaction Score
I was 16 when we got hit by Bob. I was up Cape Cod vacationing with my family. Luckily it hit around low tide. Being young and stupid, my older brother, his wife and my older sister were actually down on the beach when it made landfall. We weren't anywhere near the water, but the wind was coming straight off the shore and there was nothing out on the water. So there was no debris to be hit by.
After a while we headed back to the cottage we were renting. I saw the screen door get ripped off the neighboring cottage, bounce down a few steps and take off. It whipped by my brothers head just missing it by an inch. It continued to fly by and then went up and out of sight. We went into the cottage and holed up there with my family and the neighboring family who we were friends with. We sat in the stairwell during the worst of it.
My dad used the protected back steps to get footage of a timeshare losing its roof and another building having it's brick side knocked down.

Reaction Score

That was our week at the Cape (Eastham) with wife’s extended family (sisters, brother, and all families, and kids families too). Some left Sunday, and some left after it came through, but most of us stayed. No power off Rt 6 until Friday when we left. One of the best vacations in spite of the hardships. Learned a lot of shortcuts due to the downed trees and power lines.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember Bob either but I do remember G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria. Some stations played that song as the hurricane approached.
We lost power for a week
The main road was block as what I believe was a tornado knocked down the huge Oaks lining it like they were bowling pins
scary stuff.
I also remember the Hurricanes of the late 40’s and 50’s.
I was on a Boy Scout weekend camping trip in a cabin when we got hit with te remnants of a Hurricane around 1957-58 . I had an upper bunk near a window on the south side of the cabin.
the wind and rain pounded that window.
My mom told me stories about the 1938 storm I’m kinda of glad I missed that one. This storm hit without very little warning.

Damage in coastal Rhode Island following the 1938 New England hurricane
  • September 21, 1938 – 1938 New England hurricane – This storm made landfall on Long Island and Connecticut as a Category 3 hurricane. Wind gusts reached Category 5 strength in eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts west of Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod. The anemometer at the Blue Hill Observatory registered a peak wind gust of 186 mph (299 km/h) before the instrument broke. The hurricane lost strength as it tracked into interior areas of New England, but it is believed to have been at Category 2 intensity as it crossed into Vermont and at minimal Category 1 intensity as it tracked into Quebec. The storm killed over 600 people and is considered to be the worst hurricane to strike New England in modern times.

Reaction Score
As will the moods in a household full of women. And two female dogs.

This is going to be fun.
1629507953848.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Gloria centered on Blue Point, LI when I lived 3 towns up the coast in Bellport. They told us to evacuate and go to the High school gym. We stayed in our 1840 house and had to moved the porta-crib with our 10 week old into our only hallway because there were windows in every other place in the house. We watched 300 ft of mature trees crack, snap, and pass by windows on the diagonal before they hit the ground. Within 5 minutes of crying "Uncle" to the extent that we admitted being fearful that we couldn't handle any more, the storm's peak had passed and calm came soon enough.

We lived on the main road, so our electricity came back before anybody else we knew, maybe 3 days later. Until then, we all showered & cooked at houses where there was gas. Then, everybody shifted to our house for food storage, meals, washing up, hanging out. It had its magical upside in the sense of care & common purpose.

The New Haven factory building where we'd lived in a loft on the top floor of the biggest of the connected buildings (before moving to Long Island) lost so much of that 5th floor that it had to be evened out, capped, and re-roofed at 4 floors in the aftermath. When I went to check it out a few years later, the claw foot bath tub that had had its underside painted purple sat in the large hallway on the 4th floor.

Until this morning, I had no idea there was a hurricane coming. Yesterday, I was looking at my sister's Cayuga Lake dock: the metal got tangled & half the wood washed away a couple nights ago. On Sunday, it might have some new stories to tell. I hope not.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We buried our power lines in my town in Florida. Best move we ever made!

Buried in my neighborhood and one of the major arteries.

Sally knocked out so many wooden poles last September.
Other artery is having above ground wood poles replaced with concrete poles. Trees, which weren't knocked down are aggressively trimmed away from power lines.

Reaction Score
I remember Gloria in '85, was living in Manchester in a sold house and building in Tolland - no major damage to either home but 50' weeping willow down in the back - have pictures, each gust made it tip a little further. No power for over a week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom