OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Reaction Score
No doubt about it! Trees are the enemy! They did some precutting ahead of the storm.

It's a never ending battle. People love trees. People love electricity. Trees hate power lines.
Put power lines underground. Trees and power both happy

Reaction Score
Trim the trees all around our wires, dammit!

Sorry, just wanted to get that way out-of-the-way now, because that is what is going to cause most of the problems, at least in my area.
I had a neighbor who would never allow them to trim - she didn't realize how that affected the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Ok, I fear this one deserves its own thread, not piggybacking on Fred's thread.

I remember Bob. I was living on the Vineyard at the time and it was one of the best and most memorable times ever because we were young and carefree and we partied our asses off for days.

Thirty years later I am not quite as sanguine about it.

I was a kid on Nantucket for Bob. It was exciting getting prepared for the storm, everyone on the island boarded their houses and businesses. There was a lot of damage but it honestly wasn't that crazy, I think the Vineyard and Cape got it a lot worse...

The CT. tornadoes of '89 were a different story. Out at a local burger shack in Bantam with my older brother and his friend and the sky turned a color that's hard to describe. We got in the car and trees were falling. Took us close to an hour to make a few minute drive. It absolutely demo'd Bantam.

Hopefully Henri peters out like most do by the time it gets up there. Last thing we need right now is major destruction in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember Bob either but I do remember G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria. Some stations played that song as the hurricane approached.
We lost power for a week
The main road was block as what I believe was a tornado knocked down the huge Oaks lining it like they were bowling pins
scary stuff.
I also remember the Hurricanes of the late 40’s and 50’s.
I was on a Boy Scout weekend camping trip in a cabin when we got hit with te remnants of a Hurricane around 1957-58 . I had an upper bunk near a window on the south side of the cabin.
the wind and rain pounded that window.
My mom told me stories about the 1938 storm I’m kinda of glad I missed that one. This storm hit without very little warning.

Damage in coastal Rhode Island following the 1938 New England hurricane
  • September 21, 1938 – 1938 New England hurricane – This storm made landfall on Long Island and Connecticut as a Category 3 hurricane. Wind gusts reached Category 5 strength in eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts west of Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod. The anemometer at the Blue Hill Observatory registered a peak wind gust of 186 mph (299 km/h) before the instrument broke. The hurricane lost strength as it tracked into interior areas of New England, but it is believed to have been at Category 2 intensity as it crossed into Vermont and at minimal Category 1 intensity as it tracked into Quebec. The storm killed over 600 people and is considered to be the worst hurricane to strike New England in modern times.
I have read about that one, I also think PBS did a documentary on it. That was a helluva storm.

Reaction Score
I was a kid on Nantucket for Bob. It was exciting getting prepared for the storm, everyone on the island boarded their houses and businesses. There was a lot of damage but it honestly wasn't that crazy, I think the Vineyard and Cape got it a lot worse...

The CT. tornadoes of '89 were a different story. Out at a local burger shack in Bantam with my older brother and his friend and the sky turned a color that's hard to describe. We got in the car and trees were falling. Took us close to an hour to make a few minute drive. It absolutely demo'd Bantam.

Hopefully Henri peters out like most do by the time it gets up there. Last thing we need right now is major destruction in the Northeast.
I was in a golf league at Stonybrook when the tornado hit Bantam, which was basically just over a hill from the course. Everyone was standing next to the 20’ windows looking at the storm, but I went to the basement for the start. When I went up to see what happening, I couldn’t believe it. Golfball sized hail embedded in the putting green, signs on the tee boxes horizontal to the ground from the wind… they were about 2’x3’ made with 4x4s and hung with heavy chains. Had to be at least 50#. Lots of cars damaged by hail, but mine was so old I couldn’t tell. Scary stuff!

Reaction Score
Yikes when your tiny island gets called out for being the bullseye on the latest computer model run.

There’s a lot of complacency here & hopefully it’s not too late once people start to take it seriously.

Reaction Score
I was in a golf league at Stonybrook when the tornado hit Bantam, which was basically just over a hill from the course. Everyone was standing next to the 20’ windows looking at the storm, but I went to the basement for the start. When I went up to see what happening, I couldn’t believe it. Golfball sized hail embedded in the putting green, signs on the tee boxes horizontal to the ground from the wind… they were about 2’x3’ made with 4x4s and hung with heavy chains. Had to be at least 50#. Lots of cars damaged by hail, but mine was so old I couldn’t tell. Scary stuff!
We were at Gooseboro Always thought it was a miracle nobody in town died. There was a popular restaurant in town that happened to be closed that day, it was completely gone, town hall completely gone, another restaurant gone, gas station destroyed etc. Drove out to Mohawk ski mountain once the roads cleared a bit and the chairlifts were all torn up and it seems like every single cathedral pine was snapped and on the ground like matchsticks on the ski mountain and across the street.

Reaction Score
Yikes when your tiny island gets called out for being the bullseye on the latest computer model run.

There’s a lot of complacency here & hopefully it’s not too late once people start to take it seriously.

Welp, I live right on the water across from Fishers in Groton Long Point. Our house was built in the 1920s so it’s survived quite a few hurricanes, but the boat might be a different story especially with the storm surge. Gonna have a front row seat for this one lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Complacency is a killer.

Load up on water tomorrow. Anything that can store it safely. Fill the bathtub and anywhere and everything else.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As a bit of an armchair weather nut I’m a bit confused by the tracks that seemingly have Henri hopping on 91 in New Haven and riding up to Hartford before taking Rt 9 west. Do storms act like that? Not really. Same path they had Sandy one and I knew from the jump it was going to continue west into NJ/NYC. Not saying I’m not concerned or that we’ll be fine but I just question that track. Going due north then west then north again? Also, everyone saying “New England landfall” as though Long Island doesn’t exist.

Reaction Score
Complacency is a killer.

Load up on water tomorrow. Anything that can store it safely. Fill the bathtub and anywhere and everything else.
I'm certainly not taking it lightly. Gloria, Bob, Irene & Sandy have me ready for not having power for at least a week.

We have a diesel-powered generator here that can power the whole island. I would think this might be a good time to put it to use (once the infrastructure is repaired locally).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Our new neighborhood is underground and has allegedly avoided any extended outages. Only people with power after Irene, Snowtober, etc. Hoping that good luck continues

Reaction Score
Welp, I live right on the water across from Fishers in Groton Long Point. Our house was built in the 1920s so it’s survived quite a few hurricanes, but the boat might be a different story especially with the storm surge. Gonna have a front row seat for this one lol
I think they’re trying to voluntarily evacuate a few streets in Groton, that I’m assuming are on Long Point. Was stationed at Subbase for 3 years, and I think the riverfront is safe enough.

Reaction Score
I think they’re trying to voluntarily evacuate a few streets in Groton, that I’m assuming are on Long Point. Was stationed at Subbase for 3 years, and I think the riverfront is safe enough.
Yeah it’s really just gonna come down to the storm surge predictions as we get closer to Sunday. We’re moving the cars up to Fitch high school so the salt water doesnt ruin them. We evac’d for Sandy and Irene, but I’ve always wanted to see what a hurricane looks like in the thick of it. Probably just going to ride this one out

Reaction Score
We are closing on our 1919 Craftsman cottage on Monday in Mystic, come hell or high water. At least we have the walk through before we sign the papers. We rode out Gloria and Bob in Mystic, then moved to Ledyard. Irene and Sandy were the absolute worst out here; no power for 2 weeks. But we both lived on wooden boats and have extensive off shore experience.... and it's pretty much like camping. Time to fill the oil lamps.
Aburks41, stay safe down there at GLP. Or just go to the Fisherman.

Reaction Score
How did she have a choice?
Years ago they asked permission to trim. She would never give it.
I use to ask them to trim some that didn't fall into their guidelines but knew in a year or so they would meet the guidelines and they wouldn't do ut.

Reaction Score
First day of school for me is Monday (Central MA) pretty unlikely I’d think :)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
First day of school for me is Monday (Central MA) pretty unlikely I’d think :)
Yeah same here. The fact they haven’t already announced so is concerning though

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We arrived in VT yesterday. Didn't know this forecast until just after we got here. Maybe we would have stayed home. Will leave by 9am Sunday morning to get home.

While here we'll get that second 5 gallon gas container I've been wanting get, fill it so that I can fill the gennie.

This is going to suck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom