OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Reaction Score
My wife has had a trip planned with her college roomates to Florida this week for a while.. Her return flight to Boston is tomorrow, she still hasn't gotten any word about cancellations, she has it in her head that she's going to "beat the storm here" ...hate to break it to you honey..!

That being said, I have been commanded to go back to the grocery store to get some specifics, ugh

Reaction Score
My wife has had a trip planned with her college roomates to Florida this week for a while.. Her return flight to Boston is tomorrow, she still hasn't gotten any word about cancellations, she has it in her head that she's going to "beat the storm here" ...hate to break it to you honey..!

That being said, I have been commanded to go back to the grocery store to get some specifics, ugh
Sorry sweetie...the store shelves were empty. In case you don't want to go...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Seems kind of silly to stock up on food, It's not like anyone will be housebound for a week from an 8 hour rainstorm. No matter what happens we will be free to roam on Monday.
a met's fans' forecast? uh, oh ...
we're doomed.
everyone, leave immediately for Mt Washington! the water can't get that high, can it? lol.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on my street is mowing their lawn today. Any practical reason for this or people just anticipating not being able to mow for a while.
My lawn was getting a little long and with all the rain it will become a jungle so I mowed it today. Was humid as heck but it'll save me a headache later this week.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I just bought a ton of candles at Dollar Tree. If the storm fizzles out, I'll just use them for a Santeria animal sacrifice ceremony in the future.
What does your crystal ball say about the track?

Reaction Score
I was in a golf league at Stonybrook when the tornado hit Bantam, which was basically just over a hill from the course. Everyone was standing next to the 20’ windows looking at the storm, but I went to the basement for the start. When I went up to see what happening, I couldn’t believe it. Golfball sized hail embedded in the putting green, signs on the tee boxes horizontal to the ground from the wind… they were about 2’x3’ made with 4x4s and hung with heavy chains. Had to be at least 50#. Lots of cars damaged by hail, but mine was so old I couldn’t tell. Scary stuff!
Two things on that tornado
1, Although I was luckily south of the storm I remember looking up at the greenish skies and hearing a constant rumble like a huge freight train. I knew It was something I’d never experienced before.
2. After the storm I was in the Watertown area and saw a stand of trees with the tops sheared off at about 20-25 feet Almost like a giant chain saw was at work. I believe its the torque force that literally twists the top of the tree while leaving the bottom standing . Just imagine the power required to do that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Two things on that tornado
1, Although I was luckily south of the storm I remember looking up at the greenish skies and hearing a constant rumble like a huge freight train. I knew It was something I’d never experienced before.
2. After the storm I was in the Watertown area and saw a stand of trees with the tops sheared off at about 20-25 feet Almost like a giant chain saw was at work. I believe its the torque force that literally twists the top of the tree while leaving the bottom standing . Just imagine the power required to do that.

Once you’ve experienced a tornado like that, you don’t mistake anything else for one. Definitely unique, and uniquely terrifying at that. You should see what the big ones do.

Reaction Score
Didn’t do much to prepare actually. Got some food for this weekend, and secured the patio furniture. If you can and haven’t yet - invest in a whole home generator. I have 3 propane tanks at 80% full that when the power goes out I can run every appliance and have every light on with the central air going for 7 days. Obv nobody would do that, as we just have lights, etc on in whatever room we are in but the peace of mind knowing we’ll have food, water (especially with a well), A/C, etc for however long we are out is comforting.

Also as luck would have it we had our roof replaced last week. Was going to wait till the fall but something told me to do it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just hoping that power comes back by Tuesday as Tues-Thurs is going to be hot and humid. Not weather I wanna do without AC.... Wednesday and Thursday look to be the worst with Temps in the 90's

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absolute freak show at the grocery store, holy moly.. Some of these people look like they haven't been out in public for a while..
Were people using Self check out?

Reaction Score
Best of luck to everyone up there.

Should go without saying, but prep for no water and no power for a few days. Start filling up anything you can with drinkable water. Remember you can flush a toilet by filling up the tank with water.

And don't be stupid driving on flooded roads. you have no idea what has happened to the road surface below the water.

4' of tidal surge and 5-7 inches of rain are manageable- even with lakes and rivers flowing from rain earlier in the week.
I can't really be more BY with my advice.

Don't be stupid. Be smart.

Fact we haven't had one in decades means zilch. Have a super place in Madison or Westport? Leave.

Check the storm surge estimates.

Reaction Score
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on my street is mowing their lawn today. Any practical reason for this or people just anticipating not being able to mow for a while.
It's a lot easier to mow when there aren't whole trees and tree limbs strewn on their lawn.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Yeah, I do the reverse thing: don't go to the grocery store before a big storm.

If/when the power goes out, we cook with whatever we have before it gets rotten. Once the power is back, then I go to the grocery store.
Someone with common sense. Well played.

Reaction Score
Update: I went to the more bougie grocery store in the next town, and holy moly the level of talent in there was astounding... College girls, to late 20's to MILFs, to Cougars, it was the thrill ride of the century...

Is there any other reason to go to them? I'm not going for the 150$ block of cheese and organic, free-form, plant-based shitburgers that taste worse than an old sneaker my fiance makes me buy.

Reaction Score
The fire department in my beach community are driving around our streets playing a message over the loudspeaker that everyone should evac. Sounds like a scene from the purge with the sirens and what not.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Is there any other reason to go to them? I'm not going for the 150$ block of cheese and organic, free-form, plant-based shitburgers that taste worse than an old sneaker my fiance makes me buy.
Considering I work for Amazon, last thing I want to do is defend them, but truth be told, out here in Pgh, we have a couple of "regular" supermarket chains I use for paper products, dairy, middle aisle stuff. Whole Foods beats them price and quality wise on about 2/3 of the produce I regularly buy, especially herbs and greens. But from the food threads here I get the sense that few of y'all eat vegetables, so it probably doesn't matter ;-)

We just had the remnants of Fred. I have enough branches collected to keep my firepit going through September. Hope y'all are current with your home insurance!

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
F75DE5BC-3771-4A2E-BED6-F6ABE81EEDA1.png
THE WORST WEATHER IN THE HISTORY OF CONNECTICUT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads