Hurley threads (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That was a rare thing considering we are 13-30 in 2 possession games. There is no excuse to be THAT bad. Being .500, okay. Having a 33% win rate? Terrible.

That's why I'm not worried about it. Because its a statistical outlier that should not hold up.

Reaction Score
I took a deeper look at the road record. Since Hurley took over, we are:

1-13 vs the Kenpom top 50 (@Florida is only win)
7-11 vs Kenpom 51-100
7-5 vs Kenpom 101-200
3-0 vs Kenpom 201+

So overall, Hurley is 18-29 on the road for us. Hurley was 6-3 in the 2021 season with no fans. If you exclude that, 12-26 with fans in the building. Pretty bad.

The good thing is, overall, Hurley seems to be improving vs top teams (whether H/N/A) year over year. He also hasn't lost to a triple digit Kenpom home team since joining the Big East. So maybe it will get better.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun: one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport, can be reasonably argued to be the best.

The Boneyard: why isn't Dan Hurley as good as Jim Calhoun. Its simple! Just be that guy!

I think the close games thing will end up like "why can't JC make a Final Four?" Eventually it'll happen and then it'll be fine. But until it does, everyone is gonna be big mad about it, even though its clearly just random noise.
It's random noise so long as fan support - whether in the stands or on The Boneyard - has no impact.

If mental or emotional energy builds from the complex set of interactions between & among coaches and players and fans, AND such energy affects performance and game results, it's hard to make a winning case that the predominant focus of Boneyard activity is a positive force.

We argue internally about our fellow fans' competitive certitudes in zero-sum fashion; freely offer the most informed & harshest criticism to our detractors & opponents for them to amplify against our supposedly common interests; boost the passion in our language to crowd out careful consideration of minority or contrary points of view that might help strengthen us and the team; and routinely ignore or deride the notion of unity in our ranks while recognizing its necessity within the coaching staff, among the players, and between those two.

Your post and my post can both be swatted away with a single derisive sentence delivered with enough punch to build negative consensus that things are inarguably bad.

Who here truly wishes to win that argument?

Who here believes or has experienced that the negative view best potentiates positive outcomes?

I've read here that the team takes on the negative qualities of the head coach, without reading much that would essentially add up to recognition that we exhibit similar patterns.

Can WE be the change we wish to see?

These are reasonable questions to ask of anyone who speaks, writes, or thinks about UConn MBB in the first person plural.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danny was a PG - but not a great one. Career assist to TO 3:2, 9 ppg. Fr/so good yrs for the team, but those were Terry Dehere yrs. The rest of his time there Seton Hall sucked.
My dad went to Seton Hall and told me that he coaches just like he played after our second or third loss and I mentioned Hurley’s coaching demeanor (dad doesn’t really watch much UConn)

Reaction Score
I mean the way they stop and pick up their dribble instead of forcing the issue to either find someone in the post or draw contact. Our guards seem afraid or incapable of doing so. Our coach was a former guard.
Maybe DH couldn’t do it so that’s his bias??

I don’t know what caliber of player he was but maybe he’s enamored with AJs athletic ability

Reaction Score
Maybe DH couldn’t do it so that’s his bias??

I don’t know what caliber of player he was but maybe he’s enamored with AJs athletic ability
Funny, I just immediately before this post replied to someone about this. My dad went to SHU in the early 80s, obviously followed them through Hurley’s time there as they were actually decent late 80s-early 90s; and when I described Danny’s coaching demeanor he said “yeah that’s exactly how he was as a player”

Reaction Score
I want to know what was drawn up for the last play. I'm guessing Sanogo was supposed to come to the ball and then pass to Karaban for the three. Sanogo was standing behind the Creighton player and didn't really come to the ball. I'm wondering if Clingan could have been a better option at mid-court to receive the pass.

This was the McDermott moment.
When the teams came out after Timeout 1 he was going deny on the inbound in the backcourt. When he saw Danny was planning to push it to Adama or Andre up high near mid-court to likely dish off to the open wing coming down either side, McDermott called Timeout 2 and switched from deny at inbound to surround at midcourt.

Reaction Score
The good thing is, overall, Hurley seems to be improving vs top teams (whether H/N/A) year over year. He also hasn't lost to a triple digit Kenpom home team since joining the Big East. So maybe it will get better.
Is his coaching getting better or has his recruiting been the cause?

I said a while ago I hope his recruiting can overcome his coaching.

Reaction Score
I took a deeper look at the road record. Since Hurley took over, we are:

1-13 vs the Kenpom top 50 (@Florida is only win)
7-11 vs Kenpom 51-100
7-5 vs Kenpom 101-200
3-0 vs Kenpom 201+

So overall, Hurley is 18-29 on the road for us. Hurley was 6-3 in the 2021 season with no fans. If you exclude that, 12-26 with fans in the building. Pretty bad.

Wait so Alabama, ISU, Oregon, and Creighton are all outside the top 50?

Reaction Score
Maybe to you bud but the issues have been the exact same every year.

He’s still a homeless man’s Calipari.
I was thinking thinking the same thing but didn’t want to post it. And he’ll never have the re$ources Cal has.

Reaction Score
Right right my bad

Still might be a little drunk from last night lol

Since you asked, this is my spreadsheet on Hurley year by year. We've improved every year in the Top 25 Kenpom category, but overall still struggle vs the top 100 teams. Pretty solid vs top 100.

Year1-25W1-25L26-50W26-50L51-100W51-100L101-200W101-200L201-300W201-300L301+W301+LOverall WOverall L
2023​
4​
2​
3​
3​
1​
2​
5​
0​
3​
0​
3​
0​
19​
7​
2022​
2​
2​
0​
4​
9​
4​
6​
0​
3​
0​
3​
0​
23​
10​
2021​
1​
4​
0​
1​
7​
3​
6​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
15​
8​
2020​
1​
2​
2​
4​
2​
3​
8​
2​
5​
1​
1​
0​
19​
12​
2019​
0​
3​
1​
6​
3​
6​
1​
2​
9​
0​
2​
0​
16​
17​
8​
13​
6​
18​
22​
18​
26​
4​
20​
1​
10​
0​
92​
54​
T25:
38.1%​
T50:
25.0%​
T100:
55.0%​
T200:
86.7%​
T300:
95.2%​
301+:
100.0%​
Overall:
63.0%​

Reaction Score
I think the close games thing will end up like "why can't JC make a Final Four?" Eventually it'll happen and then it'll be fine. But until it does, everyone is gonna be big mad about it, even though its clearly just random noise.
How can you compare being able to win a close game to going to the final four??? If we have to wait 10 years for DH to win a close game how long are we expected to wait for him to win a tourney game…15 years? And 20 to make the second weekend ?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Hurley has faults, but again what are expectations? We beat a Top 10 team at home and lose a close road game against a top 25 team with a very good home court.

So many of you haven't adjusted expectations after the 14-0 start. We're where most of us thought we'd be - around the top 25. Of course the Hall and St. John's losses sucked, but everyone has wtf losses.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Now?
What else is there except for now? I ask with no criticism of you at all. I could have asked the same question. It works either literally or rhetorically.

The past is unchangeable. The future is created one game at a time, with each completed game becoming a part of the past upon its completion.

There remains no shortage whatsoever of inventory and expression regarding the team's revealed weaknesses, failures, areas for improvement, worries, frustrations, concerns, and vulnerabilities.

What is the healthiest response for coaches, players, and fans?
UCONNCreightonProvidenceXavierSeton HallMarquette
Q3/4 GamesALL11-19-113-08-19-112-0
OOC
Q1/Q2 (N)
3-02-30-21-21-10-1
Q1/Q2 (H)
1-00-00-01-10-11-1
Q1/Q2 (A)
1-00-10-11-01-10-1
BE
Q1/Q2 (H)2-14-02-05-01-34-0
Q1/Q2 (A)1-52-34-34-12-33-3
BET
NCAAT

UConn can't win on the road against the other teams in the top 6 of the BE. Now of course you may be wondering, why are four of those teams undefeated at home against top competition in conference but have road wins against Q1/Q2 in conference.

PC's four road wins come against Butler, SHU, SJU and Nova
Creighton's two against Butler and SHU
Marquette's against SJU, SHU and Nova
X's against Butler, Nova and SJU (and yes UConn)
SHU's two against Butler and SJU

Basically the top four are undefeated at home against the other five in the top six. UConn has lost once to X and SHU has lost to all their tough home games except UConn (put back away from being 0-fer).

So people are correct that UConn has been really bad on the road this year in the BE, but pulling back so has every other top BE team except X. And the only big difference right now is UConn's one point loss to SHU from UConn having the same road record as the top four teams in the BE. Now maybe that's a bit of poor coaching on the coaches, or maybe it's a mix of a ton of factors including luck.

Who knows what will happen going forward from here but UConn hasn't been as bad as it appears. Winning at Creighton (or any of the top 6 not named SHU) would have been a true aberration not just for UConn but for the entire top of the BE.

It wouldn't shock me if X ends the BE season with the only road win against the group of UConn/X/PC/Creighton/Marquette.

I am not discussing the SJU loss as this is a discussion about road wins.
Thank you for your efforts to create this record in this form for this audience.

Awareness - Facts displayed
Acceptance - Facts undisputed
Action - What to do in response

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wait so Alabama, ISU, Oregon, and Creighton are all outside the top 50?
No. There is a distinction between Neutral site and Away games.

This year, Dan Hurley has 3 significant first-time achievements as UConn head coach:

Won an early season neutral court tournament.
Won a true road game against a P5 opponent.
Won a game over Creighton.

He has yet to win a true road game against a ranked opponent.
He has yet to win an NCAA Tournament game.
He has yet to defeat Sean Miller or Shaheen Holloway.

Many posters are sad, angry, frustrated, impatient, pessimistic, upset, unhappy, and/or otherwise dissatisfied with the 'not yet' items being in 'not yet' status.

This results in many past- or future-oriented posts, because doing so is a common way of dealing with uncomfortable emotions.

Most do not express their emotions in personally responsible language in The Boneyard. I speculate that it is too threatening for most posters to expose themselves with such vulnerability, whether they are consciously aware of this or not.

Reaction Score
Sums up my sentiment too.

I entered the year very open-minded about Hurley but if we struggle in the BET and the tourney no one would be more disappointed than Hurley himself .

In that scenario, firing him this off-season would be stupid but his seat, and Hurley would agree justifiably so, would definitely be warm.

IMO, he’s recruited too well to give up on him. I want to see the ‘22 and ‘23 classes together for at least one season.
There is a 0% chance he’s getting fired after this season or after next season

Reaction Score
My dad went to Seton Hall and told me that he coaches just like he played after our second or third loss and I mentioned Hurley’s coaching demeanor (dad doesn’t really watch much UConn)
Played a little better when he returned to Seton Hall after taking a year off and played under Blaney, but was never a dynamic PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom