Hurley threads (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that has been lacking to date under Hurley is the ability to run focused, efficient offense at critical times. While it is unreasonable to expect a team to be able to score every time they need to score, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a team to not throw away critical possessions on more than a rare occassion.

One thing that baffled me was that there was a late stretch (from ~5 minutes left to ~2 minutes left) when the lineup was Diarra, Hawkins, Alleyne, Karaban and Sanogo (I'm pretty sure the game remained basically throughout that stretch). While I appreciate the need for defense, shouldn't we have put Newton in to run the point sometime during that stretch?

Reaction Score
No, he cant shoot the ball or make the passes but sitting Clingan for so long and playing AJ for so long, is criminal. Not only that, it was embarrassing watching them not defend AJ. You think that's doing anything for the kid's confidence? He'd be less embarrassed sitting on the bench pumping up his teammates.
Hawkins is being hurt by how little Jackson is being guarded. He’s completely draped by 2 guys very often and has to work super hard to get open

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't understand you need to score more points to win the game. We can't play Sanogo & Clingan together, two of our best players because Hurley would rather play multiple low percentage shooting & turnover prone guards at the same time... I say, play your best players, regardless of position... Hurley is like play our worst shooting players together... opponents are like "go for it Hurley", with a smile!

Reaction Score
Hawkins is being hurt by how little Jackson is being guarded. He’s completely draped by 2 guys very often and has to work super hard to get open
It’s honestly completely unacceptable to be a playing 30MPG at this high of a level and have zero scoring ability. It’s making Newton and Hawkins way less effective than they should be. Jackson would legit be the best player in the country if he was even an average offensive player. He has the scoring prowess of a JV high school player lol

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Creighton wanted it more than we did. They tried to give up the game but we wouldn't take it. Too many missed opportunities.
This line of thinking is nonsensical. If Creighton wanted more then we did then why did they try to give it away? If I wanted more beer, which I usually do, I'm not going to try and give it away. But I digress. I have a complaint on the last plays of the game. The refs stop play to see if Hawks shot was a two or three so DH has plenty of time to set up the D. During that game stoppage DH should lay out the scenarios if we foul. One would be after a missed first free throw, next if the second free throw is missed and then if the shooter makes both. All three scenarios should be designed to advance the ball near or past mid court and call a time out. If we rebound off a miss(live ball) or inbound after a make(dead ball) that pass should take no longer than one second. That leaves 1.3 seconds and a time out to design a play to get a shot off. Instead he calls a time out after Kalks second made free throw to design a full court heave(that play went well) the time out also allowed Creighton to set their D. I'd rather risk a turnover trying to advance the ball then settling for having to go the entire court.

Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.
We have great athletes who should be able to execute basketball plays. So who is at fault? Is the coach not giving them the right plays? Or are they ignoring the plays and letting Jackson shoot? This isn't rocket science. Hurley can't figure out how to get the team to execute winning plays. That's the problem.

Reaction Score
The record in close games matters. You have to win close games in March but you don’t have to play any games on the road

Reaction Score
That’s about what I expected

7cbebc0e866e4fc13eb35c14cca33fd4.jpg

Reaction Score
I am happy with the direction of the team, and I rarely criticize coaches, but I thought he did a poor job today, and the inability to win on the road is definitely concerning.

Reaction Score
You needing a nap is no surprise to me

Or you can try to actually have a discourse

Maybe you’re not too bright

Posting cat memes ain’t the way son
By all means let's fire Hurley with 4 years and 11 million left on his contract. It's comical to think that Hurley is going anywhere no matter how much you think he sucks.

Sleeping cat memes are the perfect response to your inane boring blather.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.
Jackson gets a great shot opportunity every time he touches the ball but can’t shoot. Everyone knows who they need to stop it’s no secret. Everyone has been guarding UConn the same way for 2 months. Make an adjustment. That’s why he gets paid millions.

Reaction Score
I mean the way they stop and pick up their dribble instead of forcing the issue to either find someone in the post or draw contact. Our guards seem afraid or incapable of doing so. Our coach was a former guard.

People love blaming refs but our guards don’t force the issue and that’s on coaching. We are (especially AJ) out of control on D but there’s more to why we have these 17-4 FT discrepancies
Danny was a PG - but not a great one. Career assist to TO 3:2, 9 ppg. Fr/so good yrs for the team, but those were Terry Dehere yrs. The rest of his time there Seton Hall sucked.

Reaction Score
This is a very good point so what is Hurley’s fix?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Danny was a PG - but not a great one. Career assist to TO 3:2, 9 ppg. Fr/so good yrs for the team, but those were Terry Dehere yrs. The rest of his time there Seton Hall sucked.
Pat Ewing was a hall of fame player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog