Hurley threads (merged) | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2-21 on the road against teams that finished in the top half of the conference

Yes I realize that you’re supposed to be under .500 against decent conference teams. And the first few years were cleaning up a mess.

But this is not against the top one or two teams in the conference. It’s against the top half and so is including road games vs some mediocre teams.

Details below (highlighted games are vs top half teams).

Attachments

• D53ED1E4-6146-460A-B131-F8BA427F03B8.jpeg
    D53ED1E4-6146-460A-B131-F8BA427F03B8.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not in the fire Hurley camp, but I think the trend here of rarely ever beating >.500 teams on the road is troubling. As well as losing games that are decided by less than 5 points.

A sweet 16 likely makes up for all of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There wasn’t a single minute during this game that I thought we would win.

If it’s close late, I figured we would be outplayed in the final minutes and we were.

We’re better at losing games we’re supposed to win than we are at winning games we’re favored to lose.

Reaction Score

If it’s close late, I figured we would be outplayed in the final minutes and we were.

We’re better at losing games we’re supposed to win than we are at winning games we’re favored to lose.

Creighton wanted it more than we did. They tried to give up the game but we wouldn't take it. Too many missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
2-21 against teams that finished in the top half of the conference

Yes I realize that you’re supposed to be under .500 against decent conference teams. And the first few years were cleaning up a mess.

But this is not against the top one or two teams in the conference. It’s against the top half and so is including road games vs some mediocre teams.

Details below (highlighted games are vs top half teams).
There's some really scary stats like this for him, I forget what our record is in 4 point or less games but it's shockingly bad.

We need to grab a hold of games midway through the second half and create distance because we know what the outcome will be in games that come down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Creighton wanted it more than we did. They tried to give up the game but we wouldn't take it. Too many missed opportunities.

"Wanting it more" is garbage 90% of the time. The time heart matters is sometimes rebounding and we won that battle.

What looks like a lack of "wanting it" is usually lack of defined roles or skill deficiencies.

Our team never lacks effort.

Reaction Score
We have not won a ranked road game since January 2014. 2014! 9 freaking years!

Do you know how many P6 teams have won a ranked road game more recently than that? Every single one. Even Depaul and Boston College. Two perennial bottom feeders. It’s completely pathetic

Reaction Score

This pretty much sums it up.

Reaction Score
2-21 on the road against teams that finished in the top half of the conference

The first couple years under DH it's exusable with bad / not very good teams. But last year & this year very puzzling considering a top 20 team.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately I felt the same way

Reaction Score
This team DID win big games against excellent teams on the road on neutral courts earlier this year. I think they can do it again. A couple of post season wins and the trend turns. Will it happen? I hope so! I remember when there was a LOT of talk that Calhoun couldn't win the biggest games. Until he did.

Reaction Score
This team DID win big games against excellent teams on the road on neutral courts earlier this year. I think they can do it again. A couple of post season wins and the trend turns. Will it happen? I hope so! I remember when there was a LOT of talk that Calhoun couldn't win the biggest games. Until he did.
Umm no… “on the road on neutral courts”

Reaction Score
People hate this stat, but Calhoun was 38-21 in his first 5 seasons at UConn in games decided by 6 points of fewer (2 possession games). Hurley is 13-30.

Granted, this stat doesnt count for the games where its close with 5 mins left and we go on a run, but I don’t think that happens enough to excuse the 13-30 record when its close in the final seconds. It’s my #1 issue with Hurley right now. We seem to always find ways to lose rather than finding ways to win when its close at the very end

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
People hate this stat, but Calhoun was 38-21 in his first 5 seasons at UConn in games decided by 6 points of fewer (2 possession games). Hurley is 13-30.

Granted, this stat doesnt count for the games where its close with 5 mins left and we go on a run, but I don’t think that happens enough to excuse the 13-30 record when its close in the final seconds. It’s my #1 issue with Hurley right now. We seem to always find ways to lose rather than finding ways to win when its close at the very end

People hate the stat because: it’s really stupid to bring up

Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.

Reaction Score
People complain about Jackson's shooting. But we simply are not getting good shots for our best shooters late in games.

Hawk, Karaban and Newton should be getting the ball in shooting positions down the stretch and they are not. We need to run plays for them, NOT just run our offense and hope they get the ball. Other teams know who they need to stop. We need plays that are designed to defeat the defense on Hawkins or Newton. We are just way too easy to stop down the stretch.
Jackson can’t be on the court in those situations then because that 5th defender isn’t even within 15 feet of Andre. That defender is roaming around and making it difficult for Newton, Karaban, and Hawkins to get open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom