Hurley threads (merged) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tied with Seton Hall for fifth place in the Big East.
And ranked top 20 with a perfect 12-0 non-conference record and the easiest part of our BE schedule remaining.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Which is essentially my point - get used to new normal and adjust expectations accordingly.

This board is a funny place, in the sense that the same people who argue that Calhoun is the greatest college basketball coach of all time (he probably is.. him or Pitino).. are then using Calhoun's run here as the expectation of success going forward... When we're being led by... Not the greatest college coach of all time.

I went ahead and listed the last decade of our closest peer programs - nobody (maybe aside from Michigan w 6 S16) is consistently performing at a level that this board feels is 'UConn worthy'.

Hurley may ultimately not be the guy but id argue there's a better shot that the next guy is a bigger chance to fail than him. Give it time and let it breathe.
We don’t even have to use Calhoun we can use Ollie, who also took over a crap situation and didn’t lose in the first round once let alone an upset.

I don’t think not getting upset in the first round and competing in the top group for the Big East is a lot to ask for in year 5.

Reaction Score
Tied with Seton Hall for fifth place in the Big East.
Top 20 in the country, blew out the #1 team in country on a neutral,, won the PK85, will be a 4 seed or better in the NCAAT. Screams of terrible coaching. But cool story about Seton Hall.

I will see you again when they lose and you guys are allowed out from under the bridge.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Beat a top 10 by 100 not a peep about the coaching. lose on the road to a top 20 team by a toe all the mental midgets come out from under the bridge. Pathetic.

We also got smoked at home by one of the worst teams in the Big East and arguably the country.

Reaction Score
Got smoked at home by one of the worst teams in the Big East and arguably the country
My bar for you is low, and I mean really low, but calling St. John’s one of the worst teams in the country is quite something, even for you, and trust me that says a lot.

I guess I gotta move that bar even lower.

Reaction Score
SJU is not one of the worst teams in the country. They're a top-100 team. Give it a rest and stop being a clown man. It was a bad enough loss without you lying to prove a point.
Sad thing is, he may not be lying, he’s just not very bright.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
SJU is not one of the worst teams in the country. They're a top-100 team. Give it a rest and stop being a clown man. It was a bad enough loss without you lying to prove a point.
They are a terrible, terrible team.

Reaction Score
It’s not.

You can work your ass off and not become a decent shooter….Taliek, Ricky Moore, etc.

He’s a junior in college - it’s not going to happen.
Not asking him to shoot like Hawk. Just want him to be able to make shots inside 5’. I really don’t see that as asking too much of a D1 player at UConn. He can dunk all of them, as long as he makes them. No form points.

Reaction Score
Not asking him to shoot like Hawk. Just want him to be able to make shots inside 5’. I really don’t see that as asking too much of a D1 player at UConn. He can dunk all of them, as long as he makes them. No form points.

We just have to accept that it's not something AJ is capable of. He can't score the ball. It's mental, it's physical... idk. We're 3 years in. It isn't changing. We need to stop asking him to score and put him in the best position to succeed without it.

Reaction Score
We just have to accept that it's not something AJ is capable of. He can't score the ball. It's mental, it's physical... idk. We're 3 years in. It isn't changing. We need to stop asking him to score and put him in the best position to succeed without it.
I agree on the 3 pt….but do you think he won’t even be able to figure out driving to the hoop? With that athletic ability And a decent handle.

Reaction Score
I agree on the 3 pt….but do you think he won’t even be able to figure out driving to the hoop? With that athletic ability And a decent handle.

He's 21-years-old. There's only so much you can improve from that point. He is athletic and does have handles... the issue is he has no coordination or touch.

It isn't happening this season. A productive off-season would be good for him... but he's had two off-seasons here and didn't do much to improve that part of his game despite a great work ethic. I'm guessing it's more of a mental barrier he needs to work on.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Beat a top 10 by 100 not a peep about the coaching. lose on the road to a top 20 team by a toe all the mental midgets come out from under the bridge. Pathetic.
We would’ve been tied….

There was also the foul disparity in favor of Creighton.

If it did go in, what happens in overtime? Based on what precedence, do we win overtime?

Reaction Score
We would’ve been tied….

There was also the foul disparity in favor of Creighton.

If it did go in, what happens in overtime? Based on what precedence, do we win overtime?
The fact that we would have just played 20 minutes of basketball in the 2nd half and outscored Creighton by 2 in the 2nd half

Reaction Score
The fact that we would have just played 20 minutes of basketball in the 2nd half and outscored Creighton by 2 in the 2nd half
It would have been a toss up in OT, which is really all you can ask for playing away against a great team. If you need some sort of "precedence" beyond that, we were 3-1 on OT games last year with a lot of the same players. Conveniently for the Hurley can't win close games camp all 3 OT wins were by 6+ points and the loss was by 3.

Reaction Score
We also got smoked at home by one of the worst teams in the Big East and arguably the country.
Does it make you feel better to be way more negative than necessary? Genuinely asking.

It was an unacceptable loss but they’re 89 in Kenpom and 99 in NET. And they just beat Providence. They’re not one of the worst teams in the country lol.

Step back from the ledge..things really aren’t as bad as you think they are.

Reaction Score
If that shot is a 3 not a 2 UConn would have beaten Creighton in 3 of the 4 halves they played this year, and if you break the games into quarters, UConn won 6 of the 8 for the year. I don't get how anyone could think they could win in OT, crazy thought.

Reaction Score
We know he can dunk.

Reaction Score
I forget the attempted lob by Alleyne but the Diarra crotch lob to Jackson wasn't the right play, Diarra and Jackson ruined that play. The play was an easy pass to Clingan as the trailer for the dunk.
X Joey, who can get a lob to Clingan, poor Clingan nearly always plays with the four in bench, not the starters. He still does an outstanding job.

Reaction Score
I just read the Courant article about Saturdays game and Hurley is waxing poetic about Kalk on defense and what a "presence" he is. He affects shots when players are close to the rim even when he is not there. So Hurley has closed his eyes when Donovan is on the floor. We have a big issue and it is not 7"2" tall.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
My bar for you is low, and I mean really low, but calling St. John’s one of the worst teams in the country is quite something, even for you, and trust me that says a lot.

I guess I gotta move that bar even lower.
Bar can’t be as low as your standards for UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22