Hurley threads (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. There is a distinction between Neutral site and Away games.

This year, Dan Hurley has 3 significant first-time achievements as UConn head coach:

Won an early season neutral court tournament.
Won a true road game against a P5 opponent.
Won a game over Creighton.

He has yet to win a true road game against a ranked opponent.
He has yet to win an NCAA Tournament game.
He has yet to defeat Sean Miller or Shaheen Holloway.

Many posters are sad, angry, frustrated, impatient, pessimistic, upset, unhappy, and/or otherwise dissatisfied with the 'not yet' items being in 'not yet' status.

This results in many past- or future-oriented posts, because doing so is a common way of dealing with uncomfortable emotions.

Most do not express their emotions in personally responsible language in The Boneyard. I speculate that it is too threatening for most posters to expose themselves with such vulnerability, whether they are consciously aware of this or not.

Can't really count the Holloway stat against him when he was out with COVID.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun: one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport, can be reasonably argued to be the best.

The Boneyard: why isn't Dan Hurley as good as Jim Calhoun. Its simple! Just be that guy!

I think the close games thing will end up like "why can't JC make a Final Four?" Eventually it'll happen and then it'll be fine. But until it does, everyone is gonna be big mad about it, even though its clearly just random noise.
7-24 in Hurley's tenure in games decided by 5 points or less.

I could understand chalking it up as some random noise or or lucky/unlucky if the record was something like 15-16 or 14-17 in close games but it's obviously something much more when the numbers are that out of whack. When it seemed destined for yesterday's game to come down to the wire I didn't think there was any way we were winning it because we simply don't win those games.

Reaction Score
But he is a great recruiter!!!! And he gets the team in great shape in KenPom rankings!!!!!!!

This is a silly argument. Talent wins most of the time, and Kenpom (and other computer metrics like NET) are what get us seeding in the tournament.

It's pretty obvious that we have some issues winning on the road. Saying "the objective metrics that rank teams don't matter" is just plain old foolishness.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley has faults, but again what are expectations? We beat a Top 10 team at home and lose a close road game against a top 25 team with a very good home court.

So many of you haven't adjusted expectations after the 14-0 start. We're where most of us thought we'd be - around the top 25. Of course the Hall and St. John's losses sucked, but everyone has wtf losses.
My frustration comes from the fact that our losses all look the same way. Close games in the final couple minutes and we just find ways to lose instead of finding a way to win. It’s painful lol. If we are in a one or two possession game with less than 3 minutes left, we are likely going to lose.

Reaction Score
The Andre dilemma has been discussed quite thoroughly, but aside from giving him fewer minutes there really has been no constructive solution offered.

Most posters are saying Hurley should give some combination of Allyene, Diarra or Clingan more minutes at the expense of Jackson.

This approach, of course, comes with pros and cons and many variables.

But even if his minutes were reduced, Jackson will play significant minutes going forward. Rebounding, defense, energy against his lack of offense is the dilemma.

My question is, what should be done when Ajax has the ball at the three point line and his defender is sagging way off and disrupting the offense?

Seriously, what can be done? Jackson can shoot, and probably needs to take the shot at least a few times a game, but that has most often not helped the team.

Instead, what sort of play or action can free sanogo or Hawkins? What is newton’s role in that situation? is there a way for Hurley to counter that defensive strategy? What are the Xs and Os here to result in a quality shot?

We haven’t seen a consistent answer yet in the games or on this board so I’m throwing it out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a silly argument. Talent wins most of the time, and Kenpom (and other computer metrics like NET) are what get us seeding in the tournament.

It's pretty obvious that we have some issues winning on the road. Saying "the objective metrics that rank teams don't matter" is just plain old foolishness.
Why aren't we winning when we have more talent?

It can be argued Creighton is at the same level as UConn in terms of talent but I don't see any way one can argue with a straight face that any other Big East teams have as much talent as UConn.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My frustration comes from the fact that our losses all look the same way. Close games in the final couple minutes and we just find ways to lose instead of finding a way to win. It’s painful lol. If we are in a one or two possession game with less than 3 minutes left, we are likely going to lose.
Release yourself from the "lol," lean into the pain, and be part of the process that shifts from concentrating on what we dislike and do not want.

Reaction Score
This was the McDermott moment.
When the teams came out after Timeout 1 he was going deny on the inbound in the backcourt. When he saw Danny was planning to push it to Adama or Andre up high near mid-court to likely dish off to the open wing coming down either side, McDermott called Timeout 2 and switched from deny at inbound to surround at midcourt.
Were you in the huddle for these timeouts? LOL

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Basically, next year should be his last chance. We don’t win close games. For me it is clear that we have as much talent if not more than any other big east team. This is not an x and o conversation. I don’t want to get into a discussion about game strategy etc. All this comes down too is; can you make your team mentally strong enough to win more close games then it loses. We don’t win close games since he became coach. UConn is a brand and now that they are in the big east they will recruit. If we don’t make a run and get at least to the second weekend, his job has to be on the line next year. This is not personal he has gotten us back to respectable on the national stage, but did he really have more to do with it than uconn joining the big east. It is getting close for the clock to start ticking. Consistently middle of the pack is not going to satisfy this fan base.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Adama developed a 3 point shot over the summer, and is effective when he is wide open with his feet set. I thought Andre also worked on it over the summer? If Adama could do it, Andre can do it too. If he is open he needs to shoot in rhythm, but not overthink it. Seems mental at least with the wide open 3.

Reaction Score
I think from the corner he should try to drive the baseline and try to score or attempt to draw contact and draw a foul. Or drive from corner and kick out to opposite wing for a shot…occasional take a 3 if he can relax first before the shot….as for top of the key, he needs to step in to foul line, relax, set his feet and take the shot, like a foul shot where he is 68%.

Other times just keep the ball moving as with this said, you want to limit his outside shot attempts to around 5.

Would be interested to hear other solutions.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Andre will never be a shooter….his form is absolutely horrific. Even his free throws are a mess.

He just needs to find ways to make the defense pay for leaving him wide open. My idea….move towards the rim. If they are 12’ off of you, take those 12’ - make them do something.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think Hurley has faults, but again what are expectations? We beat a Top 10 team at home and lose a close road game against a top 25 team with a very good home court.

So many of you haven't adjusted expectations after the 14-0 start. We're where most of us thought we'd be - around the top 25. Of course the Hall and St. John's losses sucked, but everyone has wtf losses.
I think it’s fair to think we’d compete for the Big East championship with the talent we have. It was the goal coming into the season.

Reaction Score
I would bring him off the bench, not necessarily cut his minutes, but stagger them so he’s playing more with the 2nd unit, and try to play faster and get out and run when he’s out there. And offensively he needs to be active, setting screens, cutting, etc. He can’t just be standing in the corner.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Everything Andre does need to be near the rim. Have him be the roll man on pick and rolls to get him going towards the basket so his man has to respect him… if he doesn’t and the defense helps he can still be a great passer finding the open guy.

At this point teams do not have to respect him on ball or at the 3 point line. With Sanogo’s ability to shoot we can really play 5 out with Andre as a roller seamlessly. Even when DC in the game we can do it because he’s a lob threat.

Hurley has to find a way to make him effective offensively. Shooting more threes is not the answer.

Reaction Score
Think the only thing he is capable of is the one thing he is afraid to do and that’s drive at the basket and try to draw fouls. I’m not sure he can do anything else. He can’t hit floaters or any jump shot so just use your athletic ability to force the defense to foul you or draw enough attention to dump it off to big…

Reaction Score
Andre will never be a shooter….his form is absolutely horrific. Even his free throws are a mess.

He just needs to find ways to make the defense pay for leaving him wide open. My idea….move towards the rim. If they are 12’ off of you, take those 12’ - make them do something.
Well he tried that yesterday with his god awful floaters from 12 ft out. I hate that shot so much. It comes out of his hand extremely flat and he leaves it short 80% of the time.
I'm always puzzled as to how someone like AJ gets to this level without being able to put the ball in the hoop. Don't get me wrong, I love Andre, it just makes no sense.
Kids who are athletic as Andre can dominate in high school because they are just simply that much faster, stronger, and more athletic than everyone else. Look up his high school highlight reels, he was able to carve up defenses like a stud, but that didn’t translate to college.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun: one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport, can be reasonably argued to be the best.

The Boneyard: why isn't Dan Hurley as good as Jim Calhoun. Its simple! Just be that guy!

I think the close games thing will end up like "why can't JC make a Final Four?" Eventually it'll happen and then it'll be fine. But until it does, everyone is gonna be big mad about it, even though its clearly just random noise.

I think 23 games is enough of a sample to say there's something to it. That doesn't mean he can't improve; part of what makes teams tough down the stretch is having a PG on the floor that can take over the game. Not necessarily dominate, but make good decisions and get a bucket when nothing else is available. Hurley hasn't had that yet here (which is on him). I'd be willing to bet things improve next year when we have a legitimate stud point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom