Hurley threads (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to think we’d compete for the Big East championship with the talent we have. It was the goal coming into the season.

People trash Hurley for not winning more with all of the talent we have, and in the same breath those people will trash the players on the court saying they have a bunch of flaws. Both of those things can't be true.

Reaction Score
What he did against Creighton in the first game worked. Get Sanogo the ball and cut Andre through the lane. Have him sit next to the paint. This actually worked for one play yesterday too, Scheierman came to double Sanogo and Andre ducked in for an open dunk

I do think Hawkins got some good looks yesterday through the flow of the offense that he just missed. When there’s no pressure on Andre, he can comfortably make a good pass to Hawkins or Karaban coming off screens. Assuming that the screens work and the guy is open

Otherwise, nothing. He can’t shoot, he really needs to stop taking the push shot, and he either can’t or won’t drive for layups or dunks. He did have one “traditional” floater that looked pretty good, just didn’t go in. But if our offense gets to the point where Andre needs to make a scoring play, the offense has failed for that possession.

It’s not his game. He’s at best when he can play free defense, grab boards, and lead breaks. If he has the ball at the three point line and is expected to make a play in a halfcourt set, he’s been taken out of the zone where he excels and put into a zone where he will fail

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
People trash Hurley for not winning more with all of the talent we have, and in the same breath those people will trash the players on the court saying they have a bunch of flaws. Both of those things can't be true.
I’m not one of those people. Think our players have the talent. They just don’t get the coaching. We have a lot of coaching problems going on that causes the team not to play to potential.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Castle will be better than Newton but the quick guards like nemhardt he will not be able to stay in front of like Newton. Diara is the only guard we have who can effectively defend a quick get to the basket guard.

Reaction Score
And from listening to Hurley’s post game interview, firing up threes is by design.
It’s ridiculous. Historically as a program we’ve never fared well by being so reliant on threes. I used to laugh at opponents who would bomb up a million 3s vs us. It might work in the NBA, but it’s not a winning formula in college.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to think we’d compete for the Big East championship with the talent we have. It was the goal coming into the season.

I mean, we were picked 4th in the pre-season coaches poll and were unranked. We are currently tied for 5th (SH with tie breaker technically but we play in CT Saturday) and ranked in the 20s.

Seems like that's not too far off.

My frustration comes from the fact that our losses all look the same way. Close games in the final couple minutes and we just find ways to lose instead of finding a way to win. It’s painful lol. If we are in a one or two possession game with less than 3 minutes left, we are likely going to lose.

Hey I'm not saying to not be frustrated, I am too. When you step back and look at the program as a whole were moving in the right direction.

He's not better yet than Miller, Cooley, McDermont, or Smart. Those guys also have a lot more high level experience coaching at this level.

We play hard, usually win at home, and it's not like we're getting blown out on the road. He's not above reproach but it's way too early to cut bait (not suggesting that's your stance) on a guy who's doing a lot of good things here for sustained top 25 success.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When you fire up 27 threes you’re not going to get to the line too much. Good teams take it to the rim against us and get calls, while we settle for threes.
People always point to this as if a shot attempt is the only time a person can get fouled. If they called every grab and push on Newton or Hawkins off the ball we’d have been in the bonus all game.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
I mean, we were picked 4th in the pre-season coaches poll and were unranked. We are currently tied for 5th (SH with tie breaker technically but we play in CT Saturday) and ranked in the 20s.

Hey I'm not saying to not be frustrated, I am too. When you step back and look at the program as a whole were moving in the right direction.

He's not better yet than Miller, Cooley, McDermont, or Smart. Those guys also have a lot more high level experience coaching at this level.

We play hard, usually win at home, and it's not like we're getting blown out on the road. He's not above reproach but it's way too early to cut bait (not suggesting that's your stance) on a guy who's doing a lot of good things here for sustained top 25 success.

And Marquette was picked 9th. So there is that when com-airing coaches.

Reaction Score
Andre should start every possession by setting a high ball screen for Newton. It would force his defender up towards the 3 point line.
He would be great as a short-roll playmaker from the foul line, or a lob threat as a roller. Newton seems far more comfortable operating out of the high ball screen too...so it would add that benefit.

Beyond that, he should be setting all the screens that Karaban is setting in the offense. He and AK should essentially switch positions during the usual offensive sets.

Having him stand in the corner does little for the offense. Having AK in the corner is a real threat. I also think AK is a more intuitive cutter, although i could be argued out of that.

AJ has to be a screen setter/roller. There is absolutely a place for him in the offense, it's just not how he's being used right now.

Reaction Score
Andre will never be a shooter….his form is absolutely horrific. Even his free throws are a mess.

He just needs to find ways to make the defense pay for leaving him wide open. My idea….move towards the rim. If they are 12’ off of you, take those 12’ - make them do something.
That's just baiting him into charging calls. He can't/won't hit a pull up jumper.

Reaction Score

I want Hurley to be the guy here, and no doubt he has improved every year. But at the end of the day, UConn needs coaches to win in March. You could be ranked #1 all year, every year, but if you flame out in the first round every time what good does that do? He needs to get to the BET finals and a S16 this season. UConn fans are not exactly patient, especially seeing how fast guys like Musselman were able to generate quick success in the tournament.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I want Hurley to be the guy here, and no doubt he has improved every year. But at the end of the day, UConn needs coaches to win in March. You could be ranked #1 all year, every year, but if you flame out in the first round every time what good does that do? He needs to get to the BET finals and a S16 this season. UConn fans are not exactly patient, especially seeing how fast guys like Musselman were able to generate quick success in the tournament.

If that's your expectation for this season, I think there's probably a gold chance you'll be disappointed.

UConn fans aren't patient at their own peril - look at the programs that aren't UNC Kentucky Kansas or Duke..what is the barometer for success? The last decade you can throw in Nova and Gonzaga.

I think our 90s thru 14 run was such a historical aberration that it shouldn't be anywhere even near the baseline going forward.

Reaction Score
Andre will never be a shooter….his form is absolutely horrific. Even his free throws are a mess.

He just needs to find ways to make the defense pay for leaving him wide open. My idea….move towards the rim. If they are 12’ off of you, take those 12’ - make them do something.
If A.J. puts his mind to it, he can be a good shooter.....but he has to want it bad enough. Its not a question of can he do it....its a question of desire.

Reaction Score
Why aren't we winning when we have more talent?

It can be argued Creighton is at the same level as UConn in terms of talent but I don't see any way one can argue with a straight face that any other Big East teams have as much talent as UConn.

Coaching has a lot to do with that, no doubt. I just think it's silly when people dismiss our computer rankings because it doesn't fit the narrative that we suck.

Reaction Score
Here’s an interesting nugget for those worried about our road woes: The 2004 team, arguably our best ever- won ONE game on the road that year against an NCAA tournament team- Boston College.

Reaction Score
The Andre dilemma has been discussed quite thoroughly, but aside from giving him fewer minutes there really has been no constructive solution offered.

Most posters are saying Hurley should give some combination of Allyene, Diarra or Clingan more minutes at the expense of Jackson.

This approach, of course, comes with pros and cons and many variables.

But even if his minutes were reduced, Jackson will play significant minutes going forward. Rebounding, defense, energy against his lack of offense is the dilemma.

My question is, what should be done when Ajax has the ball at the three point line and his defender is sagging way off and disrupting the offense?

Seriously, what can be done? Jackson can shoot, and probably needs to take the shot at least a few times a game, but that has most often not helped the team.

Instead, what sort of play or action can free sanogo or Hawkins? What is newton’s role in that situation? is there a way for Hurley to counter that defensive strategy? What are the Xs and Os here to result in a quality shot?

We haven’t seen a consistent answer yet in the games or on this board so I’m throwing it out there.
The answer(s) should have been addressed during the offseason. His mechanics are, and have been, awful. Now if he didn't work on them - that's on him. If the coaching staff did not insist he work on them - that's on them.

Phi Slamma Jamma may work in high school when possessed with his overwhelming athleticism, but not at high level college basketball. The opposing players, and coaches, are vastly superior.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s ridiculous. Historically as a program we’ve never fared well by being so reliant on threes. I used to laugh at opponents who would bomb up a million 3s vs us. It might work in the NBA, but it’s not a winning formula in college.
I agree. I don’t even think it fully works in the NBA unless you have the 2 best shooters all time but that’s another topic.

We’ve placed way too much of an emphasis on three point shooting rather than just having guys who can attack and score. We’ve had 1 guy that Hurley recruited throughout his time here that can do that and it was Bouknight.

Reaction Score
If that's your expectation for this season, I think there's probably a gold chance you'll be disappointed.

UConn fans aren't patient at their own peril - look at the programs that aren't UNC Kentucky Kansas or Duke..what is the barometer for success? The last decade you can throw in Nova and Gonzaga.

I think our 90s thru 14 run was such a historical aberration that it shouldn't be anywhere even near the baseline going forward.
If asking for a BET finals appearance and Sweet 16 is too high of expectations, then why should we even care? This is UConn. The floor for satisfaction is not to simply make the NCAA tournament. Come on now

Reaction Score
When's the last time we made a deep run without great and consistent play at PG?

We don't have that. It killed us yesterday, and it will kill us in the Tournament. Newton will have a good game or two but is not guaranteed to be there when we need him.

When 2 of your starters can't reliably score (AJ/TN) - these things happen against good teams. I can bash Hurley for not recruiting better PGs, but sometimes the roster dictates what happens in the games. I don't feel like this was on Hurley yesterday.

Reaction Score
If A.J. puts his mind to it, he can be a good shooter.....but he has to want it bad enough. Its not a question of can he do it....its a question of desire.
Maybe also of resources — is it possible for the team to get some high powered shooting consultant to work with him for the rest of the season? I have no idea what resources are like for additional support like that but the current coaches don’t seem to be getting him there fast enough.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Basically, next year should be his last chance. We don’t win close games. For me it is clear that we have as much talent if not more than any other big east team. This is not an x and o conversation. I don’t want to get into a discussion about game strategy etc. All this comes down too is; can you make your team mentally strong enough to win more close games then it loses. We don’t win close games since he became coach. UConn is a brand and now that they are in the big east they will recruit. If we don’t make a run and get at least to the second weekend, his job has to be on the line next year. This is not personal he has gotten us back to respectable on the national stage, but did he really have more to do with it than uconn joining the big east. It is getting close for the clock to start ticking. Consistently middle of the pack is not going to satisfy this fan base.
Unfortunately, part of the mental toughness well from which he & the players draw includes fan support, which includes comments like this in forums like this.

If only there were some way that posters could change how they present themselves. Is that also the head coach's responsibility?

Reaction Score
Played a little better when he returned to Seton Hall after taking a year off and played under Blaney, but was never a dynamic PG
I more so described his hair-on-fire energy and choking up in tight situations

My dad sure watched him play way more than any of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member