How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Internet tough guy calls out other internet tough guys.

You are free to stop by my tailgate and prove that the biggest muscles on your body aren't in your fingers. Bring your own food and drink cause I'm not sharing sheet with you.
Thanks for the invite but being up front in the Blue Lot since the stadium opened I'm not sure I'll want to wander all the way back to the Red Lot Runway to join your Hot Dog and Spam Shindig.

Reaction Score
I'm in the Blue Lot...I'll gladly host a UConn FB vs Serrano shindig. Hell, I'll even supply drinks.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the invite but being up front in the Blue Lot since the stadium opened I'm not sure I'll want to wander all the way back to the Red Lot Runway to join your Hot Dog and Spam Shindig.

Laughable. These guys could rent you for a day to shine their shoes . . .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can you name the last freshman recruit that started more than half the games at QB in his senior season?

Yes, we should recruit as many QB as we can. We have yet to find a good one out of HS that panned out.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Since some of you just chose to insult me rather than deal with the bigger issue -- my input was not really needed. Here is one key point: UConn can take preemptive action now to ensure this website next year or the year after is not filled with negative comments that we need a better quarterback. UConn is not going to get into the top 30 rankings without this kind of effort. And without a top ranking I doubt a power five conference is going to let us in. Perhaps, the B12 will prove me wrong next week. I hope so.

Check this guy out, ^^^^. He's sloved all of our problems. We just need a top 25 QB. Well it's a good thing you showed up.

BS isn't the problem. Travel in all directions. How far do you have to go to find one that is so much better and would have come to Uconn?

The guy in Indiana was a head case who never would have lasted here, so he''s out. You want Rutgers QB? Deleware's? That's the pool you are playing in. CT's best HS QB didn't last a week in the program.

BS could make better decisions, but the staff could just as easily call better plays for him.

Our problem is the line. It's always about the line at UConn. No one has any idea on any given play if they will hold up. I imagine that has some effect on the QB play.

We can't run, but we keep trying. Setting up third and long a lot.

BS can't hit the deep fade/go. Yet we keep calling it. He can hit the out, the hitch, the come back, the post, the seam, the slant, and the cross. Call those instead.

We can't block or get the WR screen to work quickly enough, stop calling it so much.

We have trouble at the goal line, yet we never call the spider 2 Y banana, universally known as a near sure thing. The pats ran it yesterday. Easy potch and catch.

Our defense is slow in the middle and on the edge. We don't pressure the qb. We play well for stretches, then give up long touchdowns.

We get nothing out of the return game.

But let's talk about the QB like we just started watching FB yesterday. BS isn't a top QB, but in the history of our program he is.

If you want to butch about the offense last week, focus on why it took so long to find our All American WR.

Reaction Score
Check this guy out, ^^^^. He's sloved all of our problems. We just need a top 25 QB. Well it's a good thing you showed up.

BS isn't the problem. Travel in all directions. How far do you have to go to find one that is so much better and would have come to Uconn?

The guy in Indiana was a head case who never would have lasted here, so he''s out. You want Rutgers QB? Deleware's? That's the pool you are playing in. CT's best HS QB didn't last a week in the program.

BS could make better decisions, but the staff could just as easily call better plays for him.

Our problem is the line. It's always about the line at UConn. No one has any idea on any given play if they will hold up. I imagine that has some effect on the QB play.

We can't run, but we keep trying. Setting up third and long a lot.

BS can't hit the deep fade/go. Yet we keep calling it. He can hit the out, the hitch, the come back, the post, the seam, the slant, and the cross. Call those instead.

We can't block or get the WR screen to work quickly enough, stop calling it so much.

We have trouble at the goal line, yet we never call the spider 2 Y banana, universally known as a near sure thing. The pats ran it yesterday. Easy potch and catch.

Our defense is slow in the middle and on the edge. We don't pressure the qb. We play well for stretches, then give up long touchdowns.

We get nothing out of the return game.

But let's talk about the QB like we just started watching FB yesterday. BS isn't a top QB, but in the history of our program he is.

If you want to butch about the offense last week, focus on why it took so long to find our All American WR.

It's this guy and the other dimwit. Thinking outside the box entails wanting a better QB. Why didn't anyone else think up this brilliant plan? We need a better QB. Find the next Lamar Jackson.

Then throws down the Superfan card. Special kind of stupid.

Reaction Score
I know some of you don't like to be bothered with actual trends, but did you see this recent story from The Washington Post. (Oh yeah, I forgot we don't need to read that -- it wasn't written by the self-proclaimed rulers of the Boneyard).

The practice of waiting for a college quarterback to develop is quickly going extinct, an antiquated custom akin to the wishbone offense and recruits who aren’t on Snapchat. Top quarterbacks show up in the fall of their freshman season, or even the spring before, already equipped with enough know-how to saunter into the starting huddle. The position that supposedly takes longest to master has been overrun by collegiate neophytes.

Why freshman quarterbacks are taking over college football

Reaction Score
I know some of you don't like to be bothered with actual trends, but did you see this recent story from The Washington Post. (Oh yeah, I forgot we don't need to read that -- it wasn't written by the self-proclaimed rulers of the Boneyard).

The practice of waiting for a college quarterback to develop is quickly going extinct, an antiquated custom akin to the wishbone offense and recruits who aren’t on Snapchat. Top quarterbacks show up in the fall of their freshman season, or even the spring before, already equipped with enough know-how to saunter into the starting huddle. The position that supposedly takes longest to master has been overrun by collegiate neophytes.

My bad. We should've listened to you guys all along. We need to do more things like Bama, FSU, Texas A&M and like. We should recruit more like them. Recruit against them actually. We should allocate 100% of our recruiting budget chasing these types of kids.

So given all that, we should absolutely play Donovan Williams this year behind our offensive line. It worked so well with Tim Boyle.

Reaction Score
The whole O-line thing is tiresome. Some other poster wrote on a previous thread, "maybe BS makes the line look bad."

I'd like to see Williams this year or he'll go into next year with zero experience competing with BS again and we'll be watching another lost season, especially with no Noel Thomas to throw to.

My bad. We should've listened to you guys all along. We need to do more things like Bama, FSU, Texas A&M and like. We should recruit more like them. Recruit against them actually. We should allocate 100% of our recruiting budget chasing these types of kids.

So given all that, we should absolutely play Donovan Williams this year behind our offensive line. It worked so well with Tim Boyle.

Reaction Score
The whole O-line thing is tiresome. Some other poster wrote on a previous thread, "maybe BS makes the line look bad."

I'd like to see Williams this year or he'll go into next year with zero experience competing with BS again and we'll be watching another lost season, especially with no Noel Thomas to throw to.

Yeah getting tiresome. Have you read all of the posters clamoring for more involvement of the TE's? We actually sent them out on routes against USF. The result was BS nearly ending up in the hospital.

You guys are free to believe and post whatever you like. I'm just glad you guys have no input into the actual game planning.

You know what is getting tiresome? The criticism of BS and the desire to burn everything to the ground after every loss.

Reaction Score
Wow, where to start with your nonsense?
How does playing a Freshman QB automatically bring you to the conclusion that a Transfer or Juco QB needs to come into the program?
No connection there. Last time I checked NCAA student-athletes have 4 years of eligibility. If Williams plays as a Freshman he still has 3 more years of eligibility. There is already another QB commit coming in next year and from Recruitng Boards its easy to see that additional QB's are being targeted.
Shireffs has eligibility next season, correct? T Davis has 3 more years after this season (By the way, second straight week he looked real good holding for FG's and PAT's--so glad they converted him to TE where he gets to show off his crazy receiving skills). Doesn't seem to be a shortage of QB's.

How misguided are you to believe the Big12 is the best option for UCONN? In football, think "bug on windshield", think Rutgers in Big10.
The best and only landing spot for UCONN for football , and all sports, is ACC. Clemson and FSU both likely moving to preferred Conf affiliation outside ACC.

Take your BP meds , catch your breath, count to 10 before your next post.

My BP is fantastic, thank you for caring. If I was out of breath, it was from laughing at the moron(s) who connected the B12 invite into bringing in another QB. You missed just about the entire context of my post. Well done. Given that you can't be bothered to read the thread for context, you aren't worth the time it would take to respond and explain.

Reaction Score

Did you not notice how many guys ran free to the QB on Saturday? Free, as in completely untouched. Even making a hot read you're not going to have much success with guys sprinting into the backfield with nobody so much as laying a hand on them. That's on the line, as well as the running backs not making the right reads and picking up the blitzing linebackers and safeties.

Reaction Score
BS can make zero plays with his feet and has zero escapability. we all acknowledge he plays hard, he just has zero QB skills like NC State determined early on.

We know his ceiling, can we try something new and see what it looks like. Not saying to kick him off the team or anything.

Yeah getting tiresome. Have you read all of the posters clamoring for more involvement of the TE's? We actually sent them out on routes against USF. The result was BS nearly ending up in the hospital.

You guys are free to believe and post whatever you like. I'm just glad you guys have no input into the actual game planning.

You know what is getting tiresome? The criticism of BS and the desire to burn everything to the ground after every loss.

Reaction Score
Jimmy, you raise the issue of recruiting budgets. Worth looking into this topic. Some schools spend more than others. But in a USA Today article, Wisconsin associate athletics director for external relations Justin Doherty said, "it's not about the money. It's about building relationships with a prospect and a coach." The article also reports "spending does not equal winning."

Schools in power conferences spending more on recruiting

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jimmy, you raise the issue of recruiting budgets. Worth looking into this topic. Some schools spend more than others. But in a USA Today article, Wisconsin associate athletics director for external relations Justin Doherty said, "it's not about the money. It's about building relationships with a prospect and a coach." The article also reports "spending does not equal winning."

Schools in power conferences spending more on recruiting
Are you implying that Diaco and staff aren't capable of building those relationships? It's probably their greatest strength, but it's only part of the overall decision criteria faced by a prospective athlete.

Reaction Score
Are you implying that Diaco and staff aren't capable of building those relationships? It's probably their greatest strength, but it's only part of the overall decision criteria faced by a prospective athlete.
No, he's throwing anything against the wall to see if it will stick. We all know that staff is going to continue to recruit QBs, and obviously they are going after the best players they believe we have a chance to land. The two questions asked in the thread title can be easily answered in four words...

We don't. He's trying.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

I think this article from the Washington Post applies more to the big national programs than it does to UConn. The recruits we are able to bring in usually aren't going to be talented enough to come in and be a star right away. Probably a combination of (lacking) national reputation and academoc standards. Hopefully they can grab a couple guys like that in the next year or two!

Reaction Score
That article makes no distinction between starting a redshirt freshman or a true freshman.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
How many of these phemons are there right now?

How many play outside the P5, Texas, or Florida?

How many were unknowns in HS?

We have been able to legitimately offer QB recruits the opportunity to win the starting job from day 1 for years now.

We've also been able to offer QB's that other schools want at other positions the chance to come here and win the job from Day 1.

They have yet to take us up on the offer.

I might wish to sleep with Jennifer Aniston. She has an open invitation and my wife might actually allow it were she to show up. And if you search the boneyard or it's predecessors you will find that this is a very old joke around here.

The reason is that we all want a transformstional QB to run the team for 4 years before being drafted by an NFL team. But, that's not likely to happen not when we were BCS and less likely as a G5. We can both appreciate what BS brings to the table, wish for improvement, and complain when it doesn't happen, but there hasn't been a better QB on this campus since Edsall left and possibly since Dan O left.

So, come join us in reality for a while. If we get into the B12, then I will whole heartedly demand that we scour the Texas HS's until we find a difference maker at the position.

Reaction Score
My BP is fantastic, thank you for caring. If I was out of breath, it was from laughing at the moron(s) who connected the B12 invite into bringing in another QB. You missed just about the entire context of my post. Well done. Given that you can't be bothered to read the thread for context, you aren't worth the time it would take to respond and explain.
Your BP is good, nice. Your posts are consistent; never address the points made that you claim you're responding to and never offer anything that might be confused with a well thought out argument. Oh, and again with the name calling. You are an impressive character, NOT!

Reaction Score
Laughable. These guys could rent you for a day to shine their shoes . . .
You are one funny Bastard. I've seen these guys in action pre game. Biggest struggle was keeping their pants pulled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom