How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup? | The Boneyard

How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a lot of Donovan Williams fans on the Boneyard. How do we know he is as great as some here claim? UConn was only FBS program that offered him a spot. Should UConn start looking for a back-up from Junior College transfers or other sources?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Not to entirely dismiss transfers but I hope UConn doesn't have to continually look to juco for their savior. I'm looking forward to the next guy that comes in and just takes the job for 3-4 years, that's the QB we need to help bring their offense to the next level.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of Donovan Williams fans on the Boneyard. How do we know he is as great as some here claim? UConn was only FBS program that offered him a spot. Should UConn start looking for a back-up from Junior College transfers or other sources?
He is great because he has not played a single snap as of yet. His demise is yet to come.

Reaction Score
We cant possibly know.

But that will be true of a JUCO, or Transfer we bring in as well.

We will never know how someone translates to our offense and staff until about 6 games into his UCONN career under center.

No other school knows either. Every school brings in as many guys as they can, given the rules, and hopes they can fill a 2-deep with good CFB players.

BTW...we already brought in the next guy. McAfee. And we will ask the same questions about him in time.

Silly thread

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
the better we get around him, the lower the bar will be for him to succeed. if we're looking for the golden armed gun slinger that can overcome weaknesses all over the field we'll be looking a long time.

Reaction Score

He's got size, speed, intelligence and it looks like he can throw deep. Not sure why he did not get more big time offers. He got offers from , Fordham, Delaware, Richmond, James Madison and William & Mary.

From what I read Maryland and Wake Forest took a hard look at him and considered him an "athlete". They considered him a possible DB or receiver. That doesn't concern me too much. When he got to Houston, Greg Ward wasn't a QB either. Although I have seen DW listed as a Pro-Style QB, I think everyone on the yard is hoping he can be a true dual threat QB. He really wants to play QB and hopefully this has been a productive development year both mentally and physically. BS is probably a great mentor for him. I have to think he throws it at least as good as BS and know he is faster so the future to me looks promising.

Reaction Score
Somebody doesn't seem to realize that, if Williams happens to be good enough to supplant Shirreffs next year, the backup is already on the roster. There's already one QB commit for next year. I doubt we bring in another, and we shouldn't unless something perfect falls in our lap.

Reaction Score
The only thing worse than a lame troll job are the serious responses to said lame troll.

I thought it was a reasonable question. With Garrett Anderson leaving and Brian Sherriffs running like he is in a demolition derby, it's important to know who will be the back up next year. Tyler Davis seems settled in a Tight end roll. At this point all we know about DW is that he has potential to be good.

Reaction Score
He's got size, speed, intelligence and it looks like he can throw deep. Not sure why he did not get more big time offers. He got offers from , Fordham, Delaware, Richmond, James Madison and William & Mary.

From what I read Maryland and Wake Forest took a hard look at him and considered him an "athlete". They considered him a possible DB or receiver. That doesn't concern me too much. When he got to Houston, Greg Ward wasn't a QB either. Although I have seen DW listed as a Pro-Style QB, I think everyone on the yard is hoping he can be a true dual threat QB. He really wants to play QB and hopefully this has been a productive development year both mentally and physically. BS is probably a great mentor for him. I have to think he throws it at least as good as BS and know he is faster so the future to me looks promising.

This is actually a good thing re: offers. The lower level teams seem to know something about which QB to recruit He could be the perfect commit. ( since the boneyard always bemoans the lower level teams always having a QB that can sling the ball all over the place and why can't UConn ever find someone like that to take us to the next level?).

Reaction Score
I just saw where Nick Marshall got signed by the Jets from the Jags practice squad. I wonder the rationale of these kids to have to play QB and lose time at what could be a valuable pro position. Marshall still may work out while guys like Lorenzen and BS needed to be 100% dedicated to their future positions and not waste energy as a middling QB at best. I think the kid at Bama is another example, he has < 0 chance to be a NFL QB.

Reaction Score

Whether it's a recruit, transfer from FBS or JuCo, UConn almost never attracts a QB that has the skill level or talent of any of our competitors, including those on the FCS level. That's why the offense for many years has been run first, second, and third and pass when you have to (and hold your breath)

History has shown either the coaches may not recognize QB potential, and when they do, more often than not the recruit either doesn't come to UConn, or doesn't stay.

There's no way of knowing where to roll the UConn QB dice.

Reaction Score
For god's sake. DW is the best QB in college football right now. Will win multiple Heisman Trophies before winning 10 straight Super Bowls. I can't wait to see him play.................for the first time ever :)

Reaction Score
Whether it's a recruit, transfer from FBS or JuCo, UConn almost never attracts a QB that has the skill level or talent of any of our competitors, including those on the FCS level. That's why the offense for many years has been run first, second, and third and pass when you have to (and hold your breath)

History has shown either the coaches may not recognize QB potential, and when they do, more often than not the recruit either doesn't come to UConn, or doesn't stay.

There's no way of knowing where to roll the UConn QB dice.

I think Casey Cochran, Chandler Whitmer, Michael Nebrich and Richard Lagow would take exception. Casey unfortunately got hurt, Whitmer had no protection what so ever.
Nebrich and Lagow never played. Nebrich excelled at Fordham and Lagow is starting at Indiana.

COLUMN: IU needs to unleash Richard Lagow

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just saw where Nick Marshall got signed by the Jets from the Jags practice squad. I wonder the rationale of these kids to have to play QB and lose time at what could be a valuable pro position. Marshall still may work out while guys like Lorenzen and BS needed to be 100% dedicated to their future positions and not waste energy as a middling QB at best. I think the kid at Bama is another example, he has < 0 chance to be a NFL QB.
Yeah, they should just give up on their dreams at 20 years old. I hear being a member of a road crew pays well.:rolleyes:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
How did we get transfers like Sherriffs to come here from NC State in the first place? I remember back in the day Zach Frazer was a transfer here from Notre Dame too. Is there some kind of waiver wire or something for college transfers that coaches can see?

Reaction Score

I don't know, playing college QB definitely gives one a lot better shot with the best looking coeds, LOL

There have been a number of successful QB transitions in the NFL

• Matt Jones played QB for Arkansas and became a 1st round pick for the Jaguars in JAX

• Anquan Boldin came to FSU as a QB but ultimately switched to WR

• Denard Robinson in JAX was Michigan's QB but now a RB

• Julian Edelman was a QB in college, now WR

• Hines Ward converted from QB to WR same with Antwaan Randle El
RealClearSports - Top 10 College QBs Who Switched Positions - Top 10 College QBs Who Switched Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom