How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also after the first loss of the season. Play every true freshman on the roster. Redshirts are for losers. Have an actual event where you set fire to red shirts. Fahrenheit 451 style.

I mean who would want Puyol around next season? It was much better having him kick off a few times in the last game of the season. (and yes I understand P was in a spot with that decision).

Bobby P is a redshirt senior. He played in the last game as a true frosh, but then redshirted the following year when Christen was a senior. Not to cheer you up with something not having gone wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bobby P is a redshirt senior. He played in the last game as a true frosh, but then redshirted the following year when Christen was a senior. Not to cheer you up with something not having gone wrong.

Thanks for the clarification - I forgot that.

Diaco has been fine with redshirts after year 1. I was just trying to poke fun at Pal not complain about anything.

Reaction Score
Since some of you just chose to insult me rather than deal with the bigger issue -- my input was not really needed. Here is one key point: UConn can take preemptive action now to ensure this website next year or the year after is not filled with negative comments that we need a better quarterback. UConn is not going to get into the top 30 rankings without this kind of effort. And without a top ranking I doubt a power five conference is going to let us in. Perhaps, the B12 will prove me wrong next week. I hope so.

Trolling 101:
Step 1 - ask a loaded question
Step 2 - fly below the radar
Step 3 - play the victim
Step 4 - Double down
Step 5 - Split your hand and introduce new, irrelevant subject

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification - I forgot that.

Diaco has been fine with redshirts after year 1. I was just trying to poke fun at Pal not complain about anything.

Well if you were just trolling Palatine, then I approve.

Reaction Score
I think Casey Cochran, Chandler Whitmer, Michael Nebrich and Richard Lagow would take exception. Casey unfortunately got hurt, Whitmer had no protection what so ever.
Nebrich and Lagow never played. Nebrich excelled at Fordham and Lagow is starting at Indiana.

COLUMN: IU needs to unleash Richard Lagow

I think you made half my point. Nebrick left, Lagow left, Boyle left, and Rose left. The book is not complete concerning Cochran as he did decent against lower skilled teams....not so much against BYU......and unfortunately and wisely, he left football. Whitmer was mediocre.....not among top in BE or AAC.

Reaction Score
Trolling 101:
Step 1 - ask a loaded question
Step 2 - fly below the radar
Step 3 - play the victim
Step 4 - Double down
Step 5 - Split your hand and introduce new, irrelevant subject

Interesting, but from a real definition of trolling it sounds like it describes you:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

On a more useful note, who UConn has as a quarterback is a serious issue given the entire future of the football program is at risk without some major improvements, unless the B12 decides to let us in.

Reaction Score
Interesting, but from a real definition of trolling it sounds like it describes you:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

On a more useful note, who UConn has as a quarterback is a serious issue given the entire future of the football program is at risk without some major improvements, unless the B12 decides to let us in.

Thank you for your interest in UConn Football.

Get lost.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if people realize how stupid they sound and they just don't care.

UConn will return a RS freshman, RS sophomore, RS junior, and RS senior QB next year. They also have a commitment from a 2017 QB.

But that B12 invite hinges on us bringing in a JUCO QB.

Some idiots almost make me miss HFD

Reaction Score

Sooo... if the Big12 " decides to lets us in" we don't have to worry about the succession plan for QB going forward??

Reaction Score
This recruiting centric response needs to be tamped down.

As noted, Greg Ward didn't come to college as a QB. And, we can easily come up with 5 names at BC, Rutgers, Cuse and UConn of highly rated kids that puked. I believe a Bisack could surprise. I believe Donovan Williams could be great - until he proves not to be that good. And ... I know that UConn has not had good luck with all the kids that have come through since 2002. That, frankly, is not on this current coaching staff. Shirreffs is good: certainly the UC QB Hayden Moore is a better passer and we can say that about a few others. But Bryant Shirreffs - to me - has a way of pushing his O to a winning point time after time. And, UC Moore and others, aren't that.

Reaction Score
It's a shame the way SOME posters, have mocked your STYLE to the extent THAT you have really cut back on RANDOM all CAPS Pudge

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Do you know how redshirts and eligibility works? Only 2 ways Williams sees time between the lines this year.

1) He's head and shoulders better than any QB on the roster.

2) The 3 guys ahead of him get substantially injured. Even then, he would probably back up Tyler Davis in an attempt to preserve his Redshirt. That is how much a redshirt means as a QB.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Geez.... I hope you get it right.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if people realize how stupid they sound and they just don't care.

UConn will return a RS freshman, RS sophomore, RS junior, and RS senior QB next year. They also have a commitment from a 2017 QB.

But that B12 invite hinges on us bringing in a JUCO QB.

Some idiots almost make me miss HFD
Your posts prove the premise you advance in your first sentence. Well done.

Reaction Score
Show who what he can do? You? Isn't the obvious conclusion that HCBD thinks he knows about what Williams can do and it isn't worth burning the redshirt?
Hold on, step back and let the Ultimate Expert on QB's , HCBD, pass by. Won't be long before the rest of football will be making the pilgrimage to Storrs to learn from the Master. Bill Walsh, Don Coryell (sp?), John Gruden.......none can hold a candle to Bobby D! #LetWilliamsPlay

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Trolls run free here while loyal posters get censored, huh?

Reaction Score
Hold on, step back and let the Ultimate Expert on QB's , HCBD, pass by. Won't be long before the rest of football will be making the pilgrimage to Storrs to learn from the Master. Bill Walsh, Don Coryell (sp?), John Gruden..none can hold a candle to Bobby D! #LetWilliamsPlay

Thanks for proving my point.

Let's burn a redshirt halfway through the season to see if we need to bring in a transfer, who wouldn't be able to play next year anyway, or a JUCO. Because obviously JUCO QBs are an upgrade, just ask backup Garret Anderson. Unless a transfer is available, but we've got one of those too and the performance is still lacking. So let's run a true freshman out there, because if there's one thing we can learn about the long term viability of a QB, it's how he performs as a true freshman with a below average offensive line.

But wait, there's more. The B12 isn't concerned about our attendance, our brand, our tradition, our market value, our academics, our leadership, or our culture; they want to see how that true freshman looks on tape. Because the long term CR/GOR issues alway come down to who you have behind center.

Delete your account.

Reaction Score
Hold on, step back and let the Ultimate Expert on QB's , HCBD, pass by. Won't be long before the rest of football will be making the pilgrimage to Storrs to learn from the Master. Bill Walsh, Don Coryell (sp?), John Gruden..none can hold a candle to Bobby D! #LetWilliamsPlay

Love dumb person logic. Let me spell it out for you in clear terms. Stating, in effect, that our head coach is far, far from infallible (you hardly need to convince me) is not at all dispositive of (or frankly even relevant to) whether someone who has never seen Williams play (that would be you Einstein) is in a position to rationally second guess the evaluation of someone who sees him practice every day.

Reaction Score
Love dumb person logic. Let me spell it out for you in clear terms. Stating, in effect, that our head coach is far, far from infallible (you hardly need to convince me) is not at all dispositive of (or frankly even relevant to) whether someone who has never seen Williams play (that would be you Einstein) is in a position to rationally second guess the evaluation of someone who sees him practice every day.
On the other hand, if we are skeptical we might say Diaco finds it convenient -- in terms of keeping his job -- to tell the AD and Herbst we have Williams for next year. He is great but let's not spoil his RS for now. The promise of someone's talent is more useful to Diaco than using him now to win, or not win -- if the talent is not there.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, if we are skeptical we might say Diaco finds it convenient -- in terms of keeping his job -- to tell the AD and Herbst we have Williams for next year. He is great but let's not spoil his RS for now. The promise of someone's talent is more useful to Diaco than using him now to win, or not win -- if the talent is not there.

You and the other dummy are out of your league here. Some of the dumbest sheet I've seen on here in years. And that's no small feat.

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point.

Let's burn a redshirt halfway through the season to see if we need to bring in a transfer, who wouldn't be able to play next year anyway, or a JUCO. Because obviously JUCO QBs are an upgrade, just ask backup Garret Anderson. Unless a transfer is available, but we've got one of those too and the performance is still lacking. So let's run a true freshman out there, because if there's one thing we can learn about the long term viability of a QB, it's how he performs as a true freshman with a below average offensive line.

But wait, there's more. The B12 isn't concerned about our attendance, our brand, our tradition, our market value, our academics, our leadership, or our culture; they want to see how that true freshman looks on tape. Because the long term CR/GOR issues alway come down to who you have behind center.

Delete your account.

Solid takedown.

Reaction Score

If you think Susan Herbst is discussing playing time with Diaco -- much less whose redshirt gets burned -- I am surprised you are able to tie your shoes in the morning.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You and the other dummy are out of your league here. Some of the dumbest sheet I've seen on here in years. And that's no small feat.
taking all the heat off the guy that posted earlier today that he has better odds of a three-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry than Bryant Sherriff's has of playing in the NFL... For about two hours, I thought that was the dumbest post ever.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why do people assume that Diaco doesn't want to be successful and, I don't know, keep his job? Is the thought "I know, I'll bench Williams so I get fired and move on to my dream job! Yeah!" The thought that he wouldn't put the best players out there is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom