How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Somebody doesn't seem to realize that, if Williams happens to be good enough to supplant Shirreffs next year, the backup is already on the roster. There's already one QB commit for next year. I doubt we bring in another, and we shouldn't unless something perfect falls in our lap.

Preferred Walk on Brandon Bisak from Andrew Ward, in Fairfield. He is 6'5"230 and looked good in the Spring game. I can see him being awarded a scholarship next year. That will give you 4 options. With MA recruit Jordan McAfee being the 4th. Tyler Davis will most likely also be available if needed.

Reaction Score
BS and Lorenzen aren't/weren't these level of athletes.

So, you're saying BS will play QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team?

I have a better chance of having a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry or Trunp being our next Prez.

I don't know, playing college QB definitely gives one a lot better shot with the best looking coeds, LOL

There have been a number of successful QB transitions in the NFL

• Matt Jones played QB for Arkansas and became a 1st round pick for the Jaguars in JAX

• Anquan Boldin came to FSU as a QB but ultimately switched to WR

• Denard Robinson in JAX was Michigan's QB but now a RB

• Julian Edelman was a QB in college, now WR

• Hines Ward converted from QB to WR same with Antwaan Randle El
RealClearSports - Top 10 College QBs Who Switched Positions - Top 10 College QBs Who Switched Positions

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

So, you're saying BS will play QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team?

I have a better chance of having a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry or Trunp being our next Prez.
Lorenzen has a Super Bowl ring.

Reaction Score
Does he still have it or sell it on eBay?

Just looked at their season, they were 13-0 and lost last 3 regular season and then won SB

Lorenzen was on the practice squad, just saying if he wasn't so hell bent on playing QB he could have had a long career as a TB, FB. Maybe he was never a good enough athlete to make it, who knows.

whatever, it's their life, I would hope to have better influence over my kids and steer them toward longer term opportunities.

Imagine if David Price said screw baseball, I want to play hoops and is playing overseas with guys like AO, Daniels, RB making $50k/year. Fortunately he wasn't supid.

Lorenzen has a Super Bowl ring.

Reaction Score

That's quite an assumption on your part! I was referring to this statement made by JSM1970: "guys like Lorenzen and BS needed to be 100% dedicated to their future positions and not waste energy as a middling QB at best". I was responding to his point that players with lesser QB skills should concentrate on another position in college to prepare for the pros. It was not about Bryant. I was simply making a point that a number of skilled athletes that have played quarterback in college have gone on to successful NFL careers at another position. Not saying BS could. So what JSM1970 seems to be saying is Bryant Sheriffs should have stayed at NC State and played fullback. The kid wanted to play QB and UCONN gave him the chance to fulfill his dreams. Again, no way I think he is anywhere near an NFL QB or fullback!

You know what they say about assuming...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Does he still have it or sell it on eBay?

Just looked at their season, they were 13-0 and lost last 3 regular season and then won SB

Lorenzen was on the practice squad, just saying if he wasn't so hell bent on playing QB he could have had a long career as a TB, FB. Maybe he was never a good enough athlete to make it, who knows.

whatever, it's their life, I would hope to have better influence over my kids and steer them toward longer term opportunities.

Imagine if David Price said screw baseball, I want to play hoops and is playing overseas with guys like AO, Daniels, RB making $50k/year. Fortunately he wasn't supid.
You say this in a vacuum and with the advantage of hindsight. You have no idea. Besides it can go the other way just as easily? What indication existed that a consensus college All American who wins the Nagurski and Bednarik awards would be only a handful of picks from being an undrafted free agent? Should Tyler Matekevich have known to switch positions too?

Sure, ISU wanted to convert Lorenzen to a WR, but he was an All State Iowa High School QB entering college and he transferred to UConn as the 2nd rated (IIRC) JC QB in the country. I don't call that hellbent. I call that continuing on his path. Secondly, at 6"-4", 224, it is doubtful Lorenzen would have ever been a successful tailback.

Quick and dirty, about 5,000 college football players,not counting lower level programs and early entrants, become eligible for the NFL each year (128 FBS and 125 FCS programs, times 85 and 68 scholarships, respectively, divided by 4 classes). There are around 250 picks in the draft and if each team signs an average of 15 UDFA, add another 480. Of course, they don't all make their NFL team so that means of the 5,000+ first year players, well over 86% of them (the best high school football players not more than 5 years earlier) will come to the realization that they are going to be watching football on Sundays. What position they played in college is irrelevant as they attempt to sell you an AFLAC policy.

For all the faults you think he had and the bad decisions you think he made, Lorenzen leveraged his skills and abilities into a free college education and 2 years in the NFL. So if he is any example whatsoever, then yes, there is a chance that Shirreffs could, "play QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team."

If I had to put odds to them, I'd go:
50/1. Shirreffs plays QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team.

88/1 - Trump gets 270 electoral votes

1,536,789,546/1 (i.e. Off the Board) - [You'll] have...a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry.

Reaction Score
You say this in a vacuum and with the advantage of hindsight. You have no idea. Besides it can go the other way just as easily? What indication existed that a consensus college All American who wins the Nagurski and Bednarik awards would be only a handful of picks from being an undrafted free agent? Should Tyler Matekevich have known to switch positions too?

Sure, ISU wanted to convert Lorenzen to a WR, but he was an All State Iowa High School QB entering college and he transferred to UConn as the 2nd rated (IIRC) JC QB in the country. I don't call that hellbent. I call that continuing on his path. Secondly, at 6"-4", 224, it is doubtful Lorenzen would have ever been a successful tailback.

Quick and dirty, about 5,000 college football players,not counting lower level programs and early entrants, become eligible for the NFL each year (128 FBS and 125 FCS programs, times 85 and 68 scholarships, respectively, divided by 4 classes). There are around 250 picks in the draft and if each team signs an average of 15 UDFA, add another 480. Of course, they don't all make their NFL team so that means of the 5,000+ first year players, well over 86% of them (the best high school football players not more than 5 years earlier) will come to the realization that they are going to be watching football on Sundays. What position they played in college is irrelevant as they attempt to sell you an AFLAC policy.

For all the faults you think he had and the bad decisions you think he made, Lorenzen leveraged his skills and abilities into a free college education and 2 years in the NFL. So if he is any example whatsoever, then yes, there is a chance that Shirreffs could, "play QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team."

50/1. Shirreffs plays QB next year and then convert back to FB and make a NFL team.

1,536,789,546/1 (i.e. Off the Board) - [You'll] have...a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry.

You nailed it!

Reaction Score
There are a lot of Donovan Williams fans on the Boneyard. How do we know he is as great as some here claim? UConn was only FBS program that offered him a spot. Should UConn start looking for a back-up from Junior College transfers or other sources?
Starting a discussion questioning the QB position at UCONN; HOW DARE YOU! Blasphemy ! You risk Eternal Damnation. The obvious answer to your question is get Williams into a game to show what he can do. (Should have happened already this season). Save his 4 years of eligibility while the QB recruit from MA is coming in next season and now the talk here is to find a Juco QB? Get Williams into the game now! Yes, I'm still a fan of Sherriffs and admire his tenacity and desire to win. He does not have all the skills needed to be a complete QB at this level.

Reaction Score
Starting a discussion questioning the QB position at UCONN; HOW DARE YOU! Blasphemy ! You risk Eternal Damnation. The obvious answer to your question is get Williams into a game to show what he can do. (Should have happened already this season). Save his 4 years of eligibility while the QB recruit from MA is coming in next season and now the talk here is to find a Juco QB? Get Williams into the game now! Yes, I'm still a fan of Sherriffs and admire his tenacity and desire to win. He does not have all the skills needed to be a complete QB at pthis level.

Show who what he can do? You? Isn't the obvious conclusion that HCBD thinks he knows about what Williams can do and it isn't worth burning the redshirt?

Reaction Score

1,536,789,546/1 (i.e. Off the Board) - [You'll] have...a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry.[/QUOTE]

So your telling me there's a chance.

Reaction Score
If you're an elite athlete they can find a home for you. Guys like BS, Lorenzen aren't/weren't so why not focus in an area they can be effective at?

Again, it's their life, I think it's a bad decision on their part, but their choice. My odds of a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry are much better than BS ever sniffing a NFL team, which are both in the millions:1

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also after the first loss of the season. Play every true freshman on the roster. Redshirts are for losers. Have an actual event where you set fire to red shirts. Fahrenheit 451 style.

I mean who would want Puyol around next season? It was much better having him kick off a few times in the last game of the season. (and yes I understand P was in a spot with that decision).

Reaction Score
NFL scouts describe Matakevich as under sized, slow and not strong enough to beat blocks and make plays. Maybe he'll work out long term. He made the roster at least. What position could he reasonably convert to?

If you're an elite athlete they can find a home for you. Guys like BS, Lorenzen aren't/weren't so why not focus in an area they can be effective at?

Again, it's their life, I think it's a bad decision on their part, but their choice. My odds of a 3-way with Kate Upton and Katy Perry are much better than BS ever sniffing a NFL team, which are both in the millions:1

Reaction Score
Also after the first loss of the season. Play every true freshman on the roster. Redshirts are for losers. Have an actual event where you set fire to red shirts. Fahrenheit 451 style.

I mean who would want Puyol around next season? It was much better having him kick off a few times in the last game of the season. (and yes I understand P was in a spot with that decision).

The irony here is the use of red shirts is one area that Diaco has gotten a lot better at. Tarbutt should've never seen the field last year but the smartened up and look to be using his RS this year.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a reasonable question. With Garrett Anderson leaving and Brian Sherriffs running like he is in a demolition derby, it's important to know who will be the back up next year. Tyler Davis seems settled in a Tight end roll. At this point all we know about DW is that he has potential to be good.

All ya have to do is look @ thread/post history. Here is his last attempt... Who is going to be quarterback in 2017 for UConn?

If the history isn't enough, it's been 24 hours since the OP started this "discussion", we're on page 2, and the OP hasn't made another post. Some people like to set a fire just to watch it burn down the house.

Reaction Score
If the history isn't enough, it's been 24 hours since the OP started this "discussion", we're on page 2, and the OP hasn't made another post. Some people like to set a fire just to watch it burn down the house.
Since some of you just chose to insult me rather than deal with the bigger issue -- my input was not really needed. Here is one key point: UConn can take preemptive action now to ensure this website next year or the year after is not filled with negative comments that we need a better quarterback. UConn is not going to get into the top 30 rankings without this kind of effort. And without a top ranking I doubt a power five conference is going to let us in. Perhaps, the B12 will prove me wrong next week. I hope so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since some of you just chose to insult me rather than deal with the bigger issue -- my input was not really needed. Here is one key point: UConn can take preemptive action now to ensure this website next year or the year after is not filled with negative comments that we need a better quarterback. UConn is not going to get into the top 30 rankings without this kind of effort. And without a top ranking I doubt a power five conference is going to let us in. Perhaps, the B12 will prove me wrong next week. I hope so.

Wow. I'm glad you cleared that up. I'm sure Coach Diaco had no idea that having a good QB was important to success at this level. I don't think he was even planning on recruiting any for the next several years. The position wasn't even on his radar. What insight!

Blake Barnett is transferring from Alabama after losing the job as a freshman to another freshman. Michigan State and several big time schools supposedly have interest, so I doubt we'd have a chance.

Reaction Score
NFL scouts describe Matakevich as under sized, slow and not strong enough to beat blocks and make plays. Maybe he'll work out long term. He made the roster at least. What position could he reasonably convert to?

How does one measure heart and desire? Why do you think people love Rudy so much?
Why do you think C students can make so well in the business world, particularly in sales?
It's because sometimes the most talent doesn't win. That's one reason you can turn 2 stars into 4 stars. Matakevich has a nose for the ball and incredible football instincts but for sure he's not the most athletic guy out there. His heart is way bigger than most! His leadership says watch me, follow me and we will win.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Because they are real people, not in a video game, and the team is bigger than any one player.

Are you under the impression that Sherriffs was promised QB1, once eligible? He effectively transferred to UConn as a back up. Cochran was to be a RJr. with two more years when Shirreffs would finally see the field. There was no expectation that Cochran would leave the game less than 2 months later (I can't use the word "retire" in this context if Cochran wasn't getting paid, and I won't use the word "quit" in relation to what he did). Shirreffs won the QB1 position from Boyle and Anderson in 2015 and then what happened? Anderson donned #24 until the Temple game. If the team felt it was better for Shirreffs to be -back and have Boyle start at QB1, I have no doubt they would have forced that move, given the move of Anderson last year and Tyler Davis this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom