How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How do we know Donovan Williams is as good as some claim? Should Diaco find a backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You and the other dummy are out of your league here. Some of the dumbest sheet I've seen on here in years. And that's no small feat.
In fact, Jimmy, Diaco's fear of losing his job may be the reason he is keeping the offensive coordinator in place. He can blame the OC for failures until he is forced to fire him. Another way to hold onto an approx. $1.5 million per year job! Perhaps Diaco will win one tonight to take the pressure off, or, maybe he will get a call to come back to Notre Dame as DC since they just fired their DC. I am curious if there will be a renewed call for UConn to consider asking TJ Weist to return to Storrs, if USF wins big tonight. May be a smart move if Diaco leaves one way or another.

Reaction Score
If you think Susan Herbst is discussing playing time with Diaco -- much less whose redshirt gets burned -- I am surprised you are able to tie your shoes in the morning.
Gee, you don't think Herbst cares how UConn football does? I think she cares a lot from her own self-interest. If the Duke presidency opens up the wealthy alumni are not going to be that interested in her, given the recent track record of the UConn sports department. Women's basketball doesn't bring in alumni dollars at Duke. Just because she is a Duke alumna and has been president of an academically solid university in Storrs likely won't be enough to get her her dream job. If UConn football continues to stumble along under Diaco, it hurts her professionally almost as much as it hurts UConn fans. If football were better -- AP top 25 or so, UConn is a likely add to the ACC and she gets a feather in her cap. Maybe Diaco will pull off of 7 and 5 season? I am skeptical. And I am skeptical about next year, too.

Reaction Score
Why do people assume that Diaco doesn't want to be successful and, I don't know, keep his job? Is the thought "I know, I'll bench Williams so I get fired and move on to my dream job! Yeah!" The thought that he wouldn't put the best players out there is stupid.

I just don't think people understand how hard it is to learn the playbook. Even if Williams has better skills and intangibles at this very moment, it doesn't mean he knows the playbook and can actually run the offense. The RS year for a QB is for learning the playbook and the system.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Gee, you don't think Herbst cares how UConn football does? I think she cares a lot from her own self-interest. If the Duke presidency opens up the wealthy alumni are not going to be that interested in her, given the recent track record of the UConn sports department. Women's basketball doesn't bring in alumni dollars at Duke. Just because she is a Duke alumna and has been president of an academically solid university in Storrs likely won't be enough to get her her dream job. If UConn football continues to stumble along under Diaco, it hurts her professionally almost as much as it hurts UConn fans. If football were better -- AP top 25 or so, UConn is a likely add to the ACC and she gets a feather in her cap. Maybe Diaco will pull off of 7 and 5 season? I am skeptical. And I am skeptical about next year, too.

Let me clear something up for you:

Football team success doesn't have as much of an impact on a university president's job security as you think it does.

Reaction Score

God, you really are something. Does the President care about the attendance and on field results of the football program? Of course she does. But that has zero to do with thinking that because she cares about the results she is going to be involved in managing and/or second guessing football coaching decisions. She cares about the success of the biology department as well. You think she's checking in with the professors about how to dissect frogs?

Reaction Score
Why do people assume that Diaco doesn't want to be successful and, I don't know, keep his job? Is the thought "I know, I'll bench Williams so I get fired and move on to my dream job! Yeah!" The thought that he wouldn't put the best players out there is stupid.
Even IF Williams is marginally better, I'd still keep the redshirt. The extra year of development can work wonders down the road.

Reaction Score
How did we get to frogs?

The poor management/poor decisions of an FBS football team by a coach --- PP is one example -- lead to lower attendance and lackluster on field results. So the President of an FBS university or college has to be concerned with these issues based on your own argument.

Since you appear to like to build arguments, you may want to read this report from 2012:

Report says college football success is correlated with increases in alumni giving, applications, academic reputation and incoming students' SAT scores.

Report finds alumni giving, among other areas, correlated with football success

Reaction Score
Love dumb person logic. Let me spell it out for you in clear terms. Stating, in effect, that our head coach is far, far from infallible (you hardly need to convince me) is not at all dispositive of (or frankly even relevant to) whether someone who has never seen Williams play (that would be you Einstein) is in a position to rationally second guess the evaluation of someone who sees him practice every day.
It's always fun when lawyers spell things out "in clear terms". You gave us a 60 word sentence with two sets of parenthetical notes, and used the word "dispositive". I'd hate for you to make it complicated for us. ;);););)

Reaction Score
It's always fun when lawyers spell things out "in clear terms". You gave us a 60 word sentence with two sets of parenthetical notes, and used the word "dispositive". I'd hate for you to make it complicated for us. ;);););)

LMAO. I very much resemble that remark!

Reaction Score
In fact, Jimmy, Diaco's fear of losing his job may be the reason he is keeping the offensive coordinator in place. He can blame the OC for failures until he is forced to fire him. Another way to hold onto an approx. $1.5 million per year job! Perhaps Diaco will win one tonight to take the pressure off, or, maybe he will get a call to come back to Notre Dame as DC since they just fired their DC. I am curious if there will be a renewed call for UConn to consider asking TJ Weist to return to Storrs, if USF wins big tonight. May be a smart move if Diaco leaves one way or another.

Yes. Diaco is purposely failing in order to keep his job. You are a complete fail.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Everyone's being way too nice to you here

Go. £uck. Yourself. And this thread.

Reaction Score
I made a mistake.... it was 3 sets of parenthesis. LMAO.

The sad thing is that many here probably assume that I write/talk like this because I'm a lawyer. Unfortunately, it's more that I became a lawyer because that's how I write/talk/think.

Reaction Score
How did we get to frogs?

The poor management/poor decisions of an FBS football team by a coach --- PP is one example -- lead to lower attendance and lackluster on field results. So the President of an FBS university or college has to be concerned with these issues based on your own argument.

Since you appear to like to build arguments, you may want to read this report from 2012:

Report says college football success is correlated with increases in alumni giving, applications, academic reputation and incoming students' SAT scores.

Report finds alumni giving, among other areas, correlated with football success

I am fairly certain that you are merely trolling -- arguing for the sake of arguing -- so I will answer and then not respond to you on this thread again, so you are welcome to the last world.

Caring about the results of the football program (which I agree she does) is not the same as thinking she is talking to the coach about which QBs to play and which redshirts to take off (which is what you said and I guaranty you she does not).

Reaction Score
Preferred Walk on Brandon Bisak from Andrew Ward, in Fairfield. He is 6'5"230 and looked good in the Spring game. I can see him being awarded a scholarship next year. That will give you 4 options. With MA recruit Jordan McAfee being the 4th. Tyler Davis will most likely also be available if needed.
I had thought Bisack would be playing by now. Saw him play in HS, in the toughest league in the state, and if he had had some blockers and receivers, he would have gotten some offers. I hope BD gives him some snaps, unless he inherited some of PP's arrogance. Lol

Reaction Score
I think Casey Cochran, Chandler Whitmer, Michael Nebrich and Richard Lagow would take exception. Casey unfortunately got hurt, Whitmer had no protection what so ever.
Nebrich and Lagow never played. Nebrich excelled at Fordham and Lagow is starting at Indiana.

COLUMN: IU needs to unleash Richard Lagow
Nebrich set a lot of Virginia passing records. I thought he was a terrific young freshman when he came here, reminded me a lot of Matt Grothe. PP, that arrogant old man, duck*ing ruined him, benched him with the hope that Johnny McEntee would turn into Carson Palmer. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The book is not complete concerning Cochran as he did decent against lower skilled teams....not so much against BYU. . .

He got about 10 snaps vs. BYU.

Reaction Score
The sad thing is that many here probably assume that I write/talk like this because I'm a lawyer. Unfortunately, it's more that I became a lawyer because that's how I write/talk/think.

Who gives a sheet? Lol, just messing with you. I actually agree with both (all?) your points on this topic.

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point.

Let's burn a redshirt halfway through the season to see if we need to bring in a transfer, who wouldn't be able to play next year anyway, or a JUCO. Because obviously JUCO QBs are an upgrade, just ask backup Garret Anderson. Unless a transfer is available, but we've got one of those too and the performance is still lacking. So let's run a true freshman out there, because if there's one thing we can learn about the long term viability of a QB, it's how he performs as a true freshman with a below average offensive line.

But wait, there's more. The B12 isn't concerned about our attendance, our brand, our tradition, our market value, our academics, our leadership, or our culture; they want to see how that true freshman looks on tape. Because the long term CR/GOR issues alway come down to who you have behind center.

Delete your account.
Wow, where to start with your nonsense?
How does playing a Freshman QB automatically bring you to the conclusion that a Transfer or Juco QB needs to come into the program?
No connection there. Last time I checked NCAA student-athletes have 4 years of eligibility. If Williams plays as a Freshman he still has 3 more years of eligibility. There is already another QB commit coming in next year and from Recruitng Boards its easy to see that additional QB's are being targeted.
Shireffs has eligibility next season, correct? T Davis has 3 more years after this season (By the way, second straight week he looked real good holding for FG's and PAT's--so glad they converted him to TE where he gets to show off his crazy receiving skills). Doesn't seem to be a shortage of QB's.

How misguided are you to believe the Big12 is the best option for UCONN? In football, think "bug on windshield", think Rutgers in Big10.
The best and only landing spot for UCONN for football , and all sports, is ACC. Clemson and FSU both likely moving to preferred Conf affiliation outside ACC.

Take your BP meds , catch your breath, count to 10 before your next post.

Reaction Score
Love dumb person logic. Let me spell it out for you in clear terms. Stating, in effect, that our head coach is far, far from infallible (you hardly need to convince me) is not at all dispositive of (or frankly even relevant to) whether someone who has never seen Williams play (that would be you Einstein) is in a position to rationally second guess the evaluation of someone who sees him practice every day.
Another Poster Tough Guy
Nice that you resort to name calling and personal attacks on someone else's opinion. Is that what they taught you at the Correspondence School you got your so-called Law Degree from. You bring validity to the old joke "What do you call a bus load of lawyers crashing over a cliff........"

Reaction Score
Another Poster Tough Guy

Nice that you resort to name calling and personal attacks on someone else's opinion. Is that what they taught you at the Correspondence School you got your so-called Law Degree from. You bring validity to the old joke "What do you call a bus load of lawyers crashing over a cliff..."

Internet tough guy calls out other internet tough guys.

You are free to stop by my tailgate and prove that the biggest muscles on your body aren't in your fingers. Bring your own food and drink cause I'm not sharing sheet with you.

Reaction Score
Nebrich set a lot of Virginia passing records. I thought he was a terrific young freshman when he came here, reminded me a lot of Matt Grothe. PP, that arrogant old man, duck*ing ruined him, benched him with the hope that Johnny McEntee would turn into Carson Palmer. Lol

Amazing to this day what the hell the guy ever saw in the McEntee to put him on the field without a couple of QB's being injured. Was the beginning of a long draught at the QB position which lives on. Up to Diaco to find the next one who can make an impact. Love the toughness of Shireffs and thought we'd see improvement, but he's not the answer either. Watch all the games, you know you need a slinger or an athlete who can sling enough. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom