OT: - Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes

Reaction Score
Sauted brussel sprouts with shallots and balsamic. Either grilled sweet potatoes with scallion butter or orange spiced sweet potatoes

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We’re calling a turkey gyro thanksgiving food?
joke- you.gif

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sauted brussel sprouts with shallots and balsamic. Either grilled sweet potatoes with scallion butter or orange spiced sweet potatoes
Yes but the the balsamic has to be put on as a reduced glaze OUT of the oven.

Balsamic is a condiment not a cooking solution.

used properly it makes a lot of stuff better including and especially the pancetta / Brussels sprouts deal I mentioned. But I reduce the killer balsamic I buy at liuzzis in north haven/ Hamden like a pro, not a turkey chef.

Reaction Score

used properly it makes a lot of stuff better including and especially the pancetta / Brussels sprouts deal I mentioned. But I reduce the killer balsamic I buy at liuzzis in north haven/ Hamden like a pro, not a turkey chef.
Saute the sprouts and shallots ' then a couple flashes of balsamic and simmer it if till liquid gone.
Also roast them and serve with a mapke-dijon vinaigrette.

Reaction Score
that doesnt sound horrible, I like Pears and I really like pistachios, but you ever have Brussel sprouts Roasted/tossed with Pancetta?

I mean pork fat > Fruit/nuts
Things are slowly turning over from the traditional fare. The mashed has been replaced with a cauliflower based side for the white thing on the plate. I'm not allowed to make anything but the sausage and sage stuffing which is really good but no cornbread, no oysters, no nuts but I sneak in some apple or pear in the stuffing and folks seem to like it. I like roasted carrots for the orange thing on the plate but I don't get to vote on the orange thing either. The carrots come around every third or fourth year.

Reaction Score
A side of Maui again wouldn't be bad either. Great place to spend Thanksgiving - no mandatory turkey.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

North Haven. Killer olive oil, too. Also my go-to for pizzagiana, which I believe they call pizza piena. They also sell nice pre-made beef braciole and pork spedini that you can bring home and cook. I like the ones from A&S in Fairfield better, but Liuzzi's are fine if I don't want to make the trip to A&S.

Now that you've got me on the Italian delis, one couple who comes to the Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party always brings their "leftover" eggplant pizzaiola from Sapori d'Italia in Hamden, and that stuff is the bomb. There is no way what they bring is leftover; they clearly buy extra now just to bring to our party.

Reaction Score
Ok, there's an interminable week before our next game, and turkey sucks almost as much as hosting in laws; booze, side dishes and catching up with my daughters and friends will be the highlights of the week for me.

As I've mentioned before, we host a post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, so side dishes have increasingly become the focus for us, as well as for the friends who attend our post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, because it's the various sides that really make the leftovers pizzas sing. So I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to throw in the mix this year.

Thanks in advance for your offerings. I'm sure this will go swimmingly.
Another thing we have on the table that not everyone has is a dish of sautéed mushrooms. goes good with the stuffing and gravy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Arbys always killing it.

If you MUST have Turkey on thanksgiving that is a WAY better option than the overcooked white meat/ raw dark meat flavorless dreck 90% are going to sit down to on Thursday.
The turkey slider looks suspiciously like the mojo sandwich. I figure it's like 50/50 that you sold the idea to Arby's.

Reaction Score
Only on Thanksgiving. Olive salad. Chopped black and green olives. Chopped carrots and celery. Oregano, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Olive Oil and vinegar.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Not a side dish but my daughter is getting her Masters in Wine Management (at the CIA in Napa). We were out in Cali visiting (I have 2 kids and their spouses out there) and had a pre-Thannksgiving dinner with them all - anyway, she brought a Gewurztraminer wine to drink. I'm normally a pinot noir with turkey guy but I really had my eyes opened.

Basically she had us take a bite of the turkey with cranberry sauce and then a sip of the gewurztraminer - it will make you appreciate the turkey a lot more!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If thanksgiving food was so great there would be restaraunts selling the stuff year round. I mean the profit margin on Turkey is astronomical. stuff is, what, 79 cents a lb? But nodody does it, because nobody would order any of that crap on a nice night out, not even the people who pretend to like it on Thanksgiving.
More and more sandwich places carry a "thanksgiving" sandwich. I for one love the food and have ordered the sandwiches as well!

Reaction Score
Wow, what a bunch of complainers! I never knew so many people didn’t like the holiday. Could it be the crowd and the formality of the meal? Maybe that’s why leftovers are so good- the pressure’s off, you can eat them watching TV.
My favorite side is homemade bread, it has a yellow color from lots of egg yolks. Great toasted too with butter slabbed on it. The stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy are way up there too.
Growing up, we usually went to my Uncle’s house in Terryville. He had a movie projector (this was in the 60s), and we kids would watch in his basement an old black & white, 30 minute film of The Wolfman. Oh, did we scream! That was so much fun

Reaction Score
More and more sandwich places carry a "thanksgiving" sandwich. I for one love the food and have ordered the sandwiches as well!
The only thing I've ever really liked about Thanksgiving is the days after when I eat a bunch of turkey sandwiches. All I want is some good bread, turkey, and mayo. I like them cold.

The Thanksgiving sandwich looks like vomit between 2 slices of bread, I even see it on menus at burger places these days.

In the Midwest it seems like most people have green bean casserole and grape jelly meatballs, bunch of weirdos.

Reaction Score
For leftovers: Turkey Terrazinni. (sp?)

For the holidays: Bulleit, Blanton's, Hudson Baby Bourbon, or good old Beam.

Cheers!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
North Haven. Killer olive oil, too. Also my go-to for pizzagiana, which I believe they call pizza piena. They also sell nice pre-made beef braciole and pork spedini that you can bring home and cook. I like the ones from A&S in Fairfield better, but Liuzzi's are fine if I don't want to make the trip to A&S.

Now that you've got me on the Italian delis, one couple who comes to the Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party always brings their "leftover" eggplant pizzaiola from Sapori d'Italia in Hamden, and that stuff is the bomb. There is no way what they bring is leftover; they clearly buy extra now just to bring to our party.

F5CCF1AE-4ABA-4120-B1DB-CF4B4851A023.jpeg

Reaction Score
Wow, what a bunch of complainers! I never knew so many people didn’t like the holiday. Could it be the crowd and the formality of the meal? Maybe that’s why leftovers are so good- the pressure’s off, you can eat them watching TV.
My favorite side is homemade bread, it has a yellow color from lots of egg yolks. Great toasted too with butter slabbed on it. The stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy are way up there too.
Growing up, we usually went to my Uncle’s house in Terryville. He had a movie projector (this was in the 60s), and we kids would watch in his basement an old black & white, 30 minute film of The Wolfman. Oh, did we scream! That was so much fun
If you think the first pass of the meal is gross, what makes you think leftovers are going to sell us on it?
Yay! Leftover vomit casserole!

Reaction Score
The only thing I've ever really liked about Thanksgiving is the days after when I eat a bunch of turkey sandwiches. All I want is some good bread, turkey, and mayo. I like them cold.

The Thanksgiving sandwich looks like vomit between 2 slices of bread, I even see it on menus at burger places these days.

In the Midwest it seems like most people have green bean casserole and grape jelly meatballs, bunch of weirdos.
I’m now boycotting the whole holiday. Grape jelly what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom