OT: - Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I did a job across the street from Liuzzi’s and randomly walked in for a sandwich. Best day ever. Its $60 everytime im close now.

Reaction Score
I make Thanksgiving leftover ravioli.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato and cranberry pulsed with an immersion blender. Homemade pasta for the ravioli. Stuff them, boil them and drizzle in gravy.

I also make stuffing waffles the next morning. Crispy on all sides.
Stuffing waffles sounds like something worth a try. Thanks!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato and cranberry pulsed with an immersion blender. Homemade pasta for the ravioli. Stuff them, boil them and drizzle in gravy.

I am sure I am in the minority and I'm ready to admit that there is a chance I am completely wrong here....

But all of that sounds horrifying.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We have been doing a smoked Ham for a number of years now with a fried Turkey breast. My sister makes a lasange plus the normal sides, like Green Bean Casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, gravy and cranberry sauce.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, there's an interminable week before our next game, and turkey sucks almost as much as hosting in laws; booze, side dishes and catching up with my daughters and friends will be the highlights of the week for me.

As I've mentioned before, we host a post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, so side dishes have increasingly become the focus for us, as well as for the friends who attend our post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, because it's the various sides that really make the leftovers pizzas sing. So I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to throw in the mix this year.

Thanks in advance for your offerings. I'm sure this will go swimmingly.

Gin.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

1574742591926.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here you go.
Thanks.
I'm tasked with roasting brussel sprouts, essentially for my 22 year old vegetarian niece,who is presenting a grad school paper in FL and won't be able to cook.
She also requested roasted broccoli, plus I'll be doing some root vegetables. Not anticipating a particularly adventurous crowd, so anything creative is gonna have to come from me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes but the the balsamic has to be put on as a reduced glaze OUT of the oven.

Balsamic is a condiment not a cooking solution.

used properly it makes a lot of stuff better including and especially the pancetta / Brussels sprouts deal I mentioned. But I reduce the killer balsamic I buy at liuzzis in north haven/ Hamden like a pro, not a turkey chef.
Something like this'll be the 2nd pound of brussels for my niece, the one that the others will try.

Reaction Score
With you guys all the way. Thanksgiving food is garbage, especially turkey. Turkey is trash. "You have to try my turkey it's so good and juicy!" No it's not. It's bad.
Im puerto rican so our Thanksgiving food is a bit different but we do Turkey and you're right, turkey is trash most of the time. Im 43 and only once in those 43 years have I eaten a legit "so good and juicy" turkey. My mother accidentally made an amazing turkey one year about 25 years ago and has not had the same luck again. Turkey at friends, family, exgf and work related gatherings, yup! all trash! I really haven't eaten turkey in the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
I am sure I am in the minority and I'm ready to admit that there is a chance I am completely wrong here....

But all of that sounds horrifying.

Yeah, only way to know is to taste it. The ravs are actually a perfect bite of Thanksgiving. I’ve been told I should sell them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, only way to know is to taste it. The ravs are actually a perfect bite of Thanksgiving. I’ve been told I should sell them.
Same deal with the leftovers pizzas. Even diehard haters of Thanksgiving and/or leftovers love them and can't believe how good they are. After a few pies I sometimes let the more adventurous guests make their own and people really get into the creativity of it.

Reaction Score
Roasted Brussels sprouts with minced bacon and a dusting of Asiago cheese via a micro plane.

Salt and sugar green beans sauteed in butter topped with toasted almond slices. Sauté' as deep as desired for tenderness.

Butter and dill baby carrots poached in a foil pouch. Cook as deep as desired for tenderness. Obviously, S&P to season.

Sour cream and Vidalia onion mashed potatoes or garlic and herb... bacon never hurts either party. Also a cheddar of some type sprinkled and melted after transferring to a flat, glass 9x11 for reheat or even broil.

We have Thanksgiving dinner twice a year (July 4th as well)... a 'family demand'. If the food served is not good well then... it stinks. We do it right.

Stuffing... not a fan of cooking it in the bird (too much knowledge about bacteria)... although it is achievable done right. I have found the best response to this recipe:
Yes, lots of sage-based sausage... an excessive amount , celery, vidalia onion, butter, chicken or vegetable stock (not water), I've tried cranberries and raisins which are good but Granny Smith apples (peeled and diced) seem to be the favorite. Add more than you think - they break down. Melted butter and egg for the binder. I've done this with nuts (for example: pecans) they add a nice wrinkle - but I have a couple who freak out over nuts - and one who has an allergy to any.

Cranberry sauce... whole cranberries, pecans, orange rind, sugar...blend to desired consistency. We do chunky.

A side of candied bacon strips is pretty popular. (Truly meat candy) brown sugar, butter melted, brushed and baked top with freshly cracked back pepper.

Deviled eggs topped with a bacon Vidalia onion jam is really popular... deviled eggs are amazing that way... a true game changer in deviled eggs. The jam is basically Vidalia/sweet onions, brown sugar, butter, bacon, bacon fat and balsamic vinegar. Truly amazing if done right.

This is why 26 people will be here on Thursday... we rock it. I tell everyone it only 15.99 - tip the chef.....lol!! Christmas is usually brisket and seafood paella.

I miss Zymurg - he always interesting reflections on food.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks.
I'm tasked with roasting brussel sprouts, essentially for my 22 year old vegetarian niece,who is presenting a grad school paper in FL and won't be able to cook.
She also requested roasted broccoli, plus I'll be doing some root vegetables. Not anticipating a particularly adventurous crowd, so anything creative is gonna have to come from me.
Hans,
If you scroll down into the comments section others who have tried this recipe have altered it using other ingredients like crisp pancetta or croutons as another vegetarian option that becomes like a stuffing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving menu with Mrs Guapo’s family:

Turkey (w/gravy)
Cornbread Dressing (what you Yankees call “stuffing”)
Mac and Cheese
Hashbrown casserole
Greenbean casserole
Corn pudding
Creamed corn
Sweet potato casserole
Bacon wrapped chestnuts

Probably missing something...but it’s all great.

(Except cranberry sauce. I do not like cranberry sauce.)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hans,
If you scroll down into the comments section others who have tried this recipe have altered it using other ingredients like crisp pancetta or croutons as another vegetarian option that becomes like a stuffing.
I've gotten an enthusiastic greenlight.

Because there's nothing entree-ish planned for my niece, I'm going to make a mixed rice/cranberry/almond -stuffed acorn squash, to which I add sausage when preparing for myself, sowhen I go, "Mmm, crisp pancetta," I have to remember that this is a loving uncle's mission. She imagines that my younger sister is the only other attend who will like. I might do a straight-ahead batch w/salt, pepper, oil for the others.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Same deal with the leftovers pizzas. Even diehard haters of Thanksgiving and/or leftovers love them and can't believe how good they are. After a few pies I sometimes let the more adventurous guests make their own and people really get into the creativity of it.
It's taken 3 mentions by you for me to get "leftovers pizza." I kept thinking it was a day after pizza party, and people were free to bring leftovers to share if that's what the preferred

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom