OT: - Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@August_West favorite time of year. Nobody bashes turkey better. Luckily, some people also have turkey for Christmas so Augie gets a second go around. I don't have any side dish recommendations but over the Thanksgiving weekend I will make Emeril's turkey tetrazzini which is an excellent recipe.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The only thing I've ever really liked about Thanksgiving is the days after when I eat a bunch of turkey sandwiches. All I want is some good bread, turkey, and mayo. I like them cold.

The Thanksgiving sandwich looks like vomit between 2 slices of bread, I even see it on menus at burger places these days.

In the Midwest it seems like most people have green bean casserole and grape jelly meatballs, bunch of weirdos.
I do like the sandwiches we make from leftovers on fresh rye bread, they are a world above the sandwich shop versions, which I do agree with you - they do pretty much look like vomit!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Roasted brussel sprouts with pears and pistachios. It has become the green thing on the plate.
@Duncan Idaho ...I am going to add these sprouts to my menu. What kind of pears? Anjou? Bosc? Other? I will forgo the nuts and add shallot and bacon. Nummers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My Turkey thread was closed...I tested my IGrill 2 wifi thermometer. Probe 1 was inserted into the thigh of a whole chicken and it worked great. Alerted me when the temp hit 165. Perfect bird. But the second probe was put in the breast and when I put the bird on the grill the reading for that probe was already hotter than probe 1. Maybe I didn't stick it in all the way?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First time since the late 70's the wife and I won't be hosting the Thanksgiving feast. Our daughter-in-law (oldest) is hosting.

Favorite sides are green bean casserole, bread stuffing, mash potatoes made with a little sour cream and roasted then smashed garlic. And don't forget the cranberry sauce.

What I will miss is a deep fried turkey. Nothing beats it. And it is moist!

Breakfast the day after is an open faced hot turkey sandwich with a side of apple pie!

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's taken 3 mentions by you for me to get "leftovers pizza." I kept thinking it was a day after pizza party, and people were free to bring leftovers to share if that's what the preferred
I use these crusts:

2pack+Big+Head.png

I cook them on a pizza stone on my grill, with reapplication of corn meal on the stone before each pie.

The crust basically becomes a blank canvas for imagination and experimentation among the traditional and non-traditional forms of all the usual Thanksgiving foods brought by four or more different people/groups, and a few signature side dishes from each, which really run the gamut. I start with the premise that the gravy is the pizza sauce and then build from there, usually getting more and more experimental with each pie. In addition to the cheese that may appear in various sides, I will also often use leftover cheese from cheese platters we serve, which can make it a lot more interesting.

Surprisingly, canned cranberry sauce--by far my favorite form of the food--works really well on some of the combos. A neighbor's side dish of sweet potato casserole, complete with mini marshmallows and pecans, is also unexpectedly good in the right combination. Good greens like Brussels sprouts, broccoli or green bean side dishes go with just about anything, as do most potato dishes and even the cauliflower casserole my wife makes, with cheese and pancetta,

But even just the basics work well; the variations in stuffing alone is worth it.

I usually make like 8 to10 small pies and we have around 15 to 20 people, so you get a nice sampling of different combinations.

Reaction Score
Yes but the the balsamic has to be put on as a reduced glaze OUT of the oven.

Balsamic is a condiment not a cooking solution.

used properly it makes a lot of stuff better including and especially the pancetta / Brussels sprouts deal I mentioned. But I reduce the killer balsamic I buy at liuzzis in north haven/ Hamden like a pro, not a turkey chef.

I prefer sherry vinegar for this, sometimes plus honey. With him on the shallots. Make sure to soften the shallots in the pork fat from crisping the bacon/pancetta/proscuitto/chorizo. Do chorizo if you can find the real stuff.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I use these crusts:

2pack+Big+Head.png

I cook them on a pizza stone on my grill, with reapplication of corn meal on the stone before each pie.

The crust basically becomes a blank canvas for imagination and experimentation among the traditional and non-traditional forms of all the usual Thanksgiving foods brought by four or more different people/groups, and a few signature side dishes from each, which really run the gamut. I start with the premise that the gravy is the pizza sauce and then build from there, usually getting more and more experimental with each pie. In addition to the cheese that may appear in various sides, I will also often use leftover cheese from cheese platters we serve, which can make it a lot more interesting.

Surprisingly, canned cranberry sauce--by far my favorite form of the food--works really well on some of the combos. A neighbor's side dish of sweet potato casserole, complete with mini marshmallows and pecans, is also unexpectedly good in the right combination. Good greens like Brussels sprouts, broccoli or green bean side dishes go with just about anything, as do most potato dishes and even the cauliflower casserole my wife makes, with cheese and pancetta,

But even just the basics work well; the variations in stuffing alone is worth it.

I usually make like 8 to10 small pies and we have around 15 to 20 people, so you get a nice sampling of different combinations.
What store has this brand of pizza crust? I'll even break the 15-minute barrier and travel to the Shoreline for this. I've got the pizza stone & corn meal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What store has this brand of pizza crust? I'll even break the 15-minute barrier and travel to the Shoreline for this. I've got the pizza stone & corn meal.
I believe my wife gets them at Robert's Food Center in Madison.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I believe my wife gets them at Robert's Food Center in Madison.
Well, I guess I anticipated something like this. Now I gotta see if I can source them in NH or the opposite direction, as I'm cooking in Stratford and eating in Southbury (and may get down to Westport today).

Thx

EDIT: They've got a super easy store locator. EStaven, Milford and Shelton. Yay.

Shows Forte's in Guilford

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I anticipated something like this. Now I gotta see if I can source them in NH or the opposite direction, as I'm cooking in Stratford and eating in Southbury (and may get down to Westport today).

Thx
You can order them online but I'm guessing you don't have time for that now; looks like they are sold at Adams Hometown Market in Milford and T&J IGA in East Haven. IIRC Roberts is or was an IGA, so I'm guessing they may be available at other IGAs in the state.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You can order them online but I'm guessing you don't have time for that now; looks like they are sold at Adams Hometown Market in Milford and T&J IGA in East Haven. IIRC Roberts is or was an IGA, so I'm guessing they may be available at other IGAs in the state.
This crossed paths with my Edit directly above.
Now to set my game plan for cooking off-site, including gathering the pizza stone & cornmeal.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UPDATE - hot damn, we will have deep fried turkey for Thanksgiving!!!!!

My day is complete!

Reaction Score
If you think the first pass of the meal is gross, what makes you think leftovers are going to sell us on it?
Yay! Leftover vomit casserole!
Okay. I guess no casserole for me this year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Everytime I see this thread title again : "Hit me with your best side dishes"

I keep thinking to myself "Id much prefer to hit you with a Turkey. A 25lb one. Over the head. For starting this infuriating thread"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Everytime I see this thread title again : "Hit me with your best side dishes"

I keep thinking to myself "Id much prefer to hit you with a Turkey. A 25lb one. Over the head. For starting this infuriating thread"
Hit 2k views and more than 120 replies in 24 hours - Thanks for all who participated - 8893 is done with the Sides Briefs.
1574803786209.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom