OT: - Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes | The Boneyard

OT: Hit me with your best Thanksgiving side dishes

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, there's an interminable week before our next game, and turkey sucks almost as much as hosting in laws; booze, side dishes and catching up with my daughters and friends will be the highlights of the week for me.

As I've mentioned before, we host a post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, so side dishes have increasingly become the focus for us, as well as for the friends who attend our post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, because it's the various sides that really make the leftovers pizzas sing. So I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to throw in the mix this year.

Thanks in advance for your offerings. I'm sure this will go swimmingly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok, there's an interminable week before our next game, and turkey sucks almost as much as hosting in laws; booze, side dishes and catching up with my daughters and friends will be the highlights of the week for me.

As I've mentioned before, we host a post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, so side dishes have increasingly become the focus for us, as well as for the friends who attend our post-Thanksgiving leftovers pizza party, because it's the various sides that really make the leftovers pizzas sing. So I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to throw in the mix this year.

You are a glutton for punishment.

I'm a hardcore mashed potatoes guy, so there is always that. A little cream cheese adds an extra something.

Squash souffle is among the best alternative sides I've had.

Reaction Score
I make Thanksgiving leftover ravioli.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato and cranberry pulsed with an immersion blender. Homemade pasta for the ravioli. Stuff them, boil them and drizzle in gravy.

I also make stuffing waffles the next morning. Crispy on all sides.

Reaction Score

I thought I was the only one who was “meh” on thanksgiving food. Honestly, it’s like 90% of the dishes compete to see which can look most like what someone vomited into the serving bowl. And growing up turkey was prepared by roasting it at 40 minutes per pound at 400 degrees.
I do like it now sort of. I’ve started frying turkey which helps. Sides? This is one that I’ve started making that is a big favorite. Like anything with bacon ISN’T?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I thought I was the only one who was “meh” on thanksgiving food. Honestly, it’s like 90% of the dishes compete to see which can look most like what someone vomited into the serving bowl. And growing up turkey was prepared by roasting it at 40 minutes per pound at 400 degrees.
I do like it now sort of. I’ve started frying turkey which helps. Sides? This is one that I’ve started making that is a big favorite. Like anything with bacon ISN’T?

With you guys all the way. Thanksgiving food is garbage, especially turkey. Turkey is trash. "You have to try my turkey it's so good and juicy!" No it's not. It's bad.

Reaction Score
With you guys all the way. Thanksgiving food is garbage, especially turkey. Turkey is trash. "You have to try my turkey it's so good and juicy!" No it's not. It's bad.
The more someone says that, the more I clamp my mouth shut like a 4 YO. You just know it’s going to be extra crappy. I would rather sit at the table with a shoe slathered in butter.
I wish it were socially acceptable to serve the “Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” meal. Now that looks awesome. Popcorn? Toast? Now that’s a Thanksgiving I can get on board with. Just add some booze.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I make Thanksgiving leftover ravioli.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato and cranberry pulsed with an immersion blender. Homemade pasta for the ravioli. Stuff them, boil them and drizzle in gravy.

I also make stuffing waffles the next morning. Crispy on all sides.

That sounds absolutely dreadful

August_West

Reaction Score
If thanksgiving food was so great there would be restaraunts selling the stuff year round. I mean the profit margin on Turkey is astronomical. stuff is, what, 79 cents a lb? But nodody does it, because nobody would order any of that crap on a nice night out, not even the people who pretend to like it on Thanksgiving.

August_West

Reaction Score

My favorite side dish is a Prime Rib Roast.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If thanksgiving food was so great there would be restaraunts selling the stuff year round. I mean the profit margin on Turkey is astronomical. stuff is, what, 79 cents a lb? But nodody does it, because nobody would order any of that crap on a nice night out, not even the people who pretend to like it on Thanksgiving.
Traveler Food and Book did. I love Thanksgiving food and I miss the leftovers when we're not hosting.

Reaction Score
I’m with August, thanksgiving food sucks. About the only side worthwhile is mashed potatoes.

My best side incidentally is something I make year round and it would go great on pizza too but you won’t have any left afterwards. Sautéed leeks and potatoes with pancetta.

Reaction Score
I am going to tell my family I am vegetarian so I can get out of eating turkey. And that weird stuffing with chicken liver my grandma makes. I am with A Dub. If this garbage was good people would eat it more than 1x a year. My aunt makes a great spinach au gratin that is probably 50% gruyere. Thats the highlight. Brussels sprouts are a good side but I cook them every week already so whatever. Mashed potatoes are fine but they are not even in my top 5 favorite ways to prepare potatoes.

Reaction Score
We just go out now. Kids don't like Thanksgiving food, and the women don't eat enough to cook for, and nobody eats the leftovers anymore :(

The plus side is nobody fights and we always have a good time. The downside is that I don't have leftovers to eat all weekend. :(

But to answer the question - my mother always made this fruit salad with marshmellows, whipped cream, etc. Not ambrosia, but kind of like ambrosia. Was my absolute favorite thing growing up...

Reaction Score
Call it stuffing, call it dressing, but it is the single thing I look forward to the most on thanksgiving.

This. Turkey can be fine if done really well. My parents aren't capable, but mom isn't giving up Thanksgiving any time soon.

But the stuffing -- a sausage and sage-based recipe -- is unbeatable.

Reaction Score

Roasted brussel sprouts with pears and pistachios. It has become the green thing on the plate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom