Here’s a bombshell | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again..they can leave but every dime they make for the next 15 years will go to the ACC
Sort of. It’s only every dime for their media rights, which, granted, is a hugely significant number. But all their gate, all their NCAA rights, their sports apparel deals, etc. they all keep.

As noted above, where things get interesting is in the case of Notre Dame who never joined the ACC for football. Thus, the only thing they would give up is the value of their rights to sports other than football. Since media rights contract value is preponderantly derived from football, Notre Dame really doesn’t have much skin in the game. As usual, they are one step ahead on their conference affiliation deals.

Reaction Score
It would still be over $100 million with the payout and exit fee
You are looking at it wrong. The difference in media payout would mean ND would cover the payout in ~3 years. No brainer for them financially. The math is much more difficult for the other ACC schools if the GORs can’t be broken. I think most of us thought that ND could not join another conference, but the tweet indicates otherwise which is a game changer.

DB24MTN

UConn 2019 NCAA Champions
Reaction Score
Wow.

Sooooooo, what’s the play for UConn here?

Staying put is not an option unless the Big East does some drastic expanding, which from other posters sounds like it can’t really happen due to ACC GOR (whatever that means, i’m not knowledgeable on that stuff).

More likely, ACC expands and UConn needs to be begging them for an invite. Institutional growth will stall if they get left behind due to the major influx of $$$ to the two eventual mega conferences.

Need a conference with football ties to grow the program to a level where they’re a viable option for one of the mega conferences down the road. If you’re not actively trying to join one of those at some point… I don’t know what you do.

Pretty anxious for what’s going to come.

Reaction Score
You are looking at it wrong. The difference in media payout would mean ND would cover the payout in ~3 years. No brainer for them financially. The math is much more difficult for the other ACC schools if the GORs can’t be broken. I think most of us thought that ND could not join another conference, but the tweet indicates otherwise which is a game changer.
It might be news to you, but it’s the same as it always has been. Exit fee (~$52 million) + GOR. Notre Dame has a football contract with NBC so the ACC only owns 5 games/year.

Notre Dame could chase the money of course. The college landscape has changed irrefutably. I think UNC could be looking at negotiated settlement at this point, but who knows. The B10 seems to have gone all-in on the West Coast, so the SEC might be the only suiter. Time will tell. And maybe sooner than anyone expected from even this morning.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Spoilers - they will because they have to. Those rights were pledged to the ACC and ESPN so that a television contract could be made. (That contract is with ESPN who is not going to let their cheap house brand conference be decimated by their expensive house brand conference.)

Again..they can leave but every dime they make for the next 15 years will go to the ACC. There is a reason why OU and Texas are not in the SEC already - it’s because GOR’s are enforceable and leaving with one in effect is crippling, even for two years.
15 years is a lifetime with all this crap. I doubt the NCAA exists in 15 years. Hell I am hoping for 15 years myself so who gives an F

Reaction Score
It might be news to you, but it’s the same as it always has been. Exit fee (~$52 million) + GOR. Notre Dame has a football contract with NBC so the ACC only owns 5 games/year.
Most people thought ND agreed that if they joined a conference in the near future, it would have to be the ACC. That was one of the attractions of allowing ND into the ACC. The tweet indicates that’s not true. And, the ACC does not own 5 ND football games per year. Half of the games fall under ND’s NBC contract.

Reaction Score
Let’s say B-12 adds some PAC teams and want to add another eastern team to balance out the conference for the teams in the east. Is UConn interested?

Reaction Score
Most people thought ND agreed that if they joined a conference in the near future, it would have to be the ACC. That was one of the attractions of allowing ND into the ACC. The tweet indicates that’s not true. And, the ACC does not own 5 ND football games per year. Half of the games fall under ND’s NBC contract.
You are right, it’s 2-3 games a year. But the GOR and the exit fee were always the hooks tying all the ACC schools together, Notre Dame included. Swofford always said “if they join, it will be the ACC” but that was a turn of phrase. There was nothing extra in the contract to make ND extra tied to the ACC. It was merely the threat of them paying like $150 million or whatever. Considering ND undervalued themselves by tens of millions for decades, it was probably a smart play before college sports blew up. But calculations have changed. USC will be playing Rutgers in a conference game. The world is mad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m trying to figure this all out but what is the end game here? I’m not just talking UConn I’m talking for everyone.

Sure schools are going to get more money but the same four teams are just going to continue making the CFP regardless.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i don't get something here.
i checked the time stamps, this thread is the first one up on the subject, and if you look around the new posts thing, there are a couple more. now, why do i have to scramble around, wasting my precious time scanning all of them on the slight chance that i might read sumthin intelligible?
i thought that you, mr phishguy, had some juice here. where's the right hook? the left jab? heck, can't you use your chompers to get sum action on this organizational collapse?

i think management started drinking early for the holiday.
what kind of throat puncher allows this to happen?

Reaction Score
Interesting times for just announced Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark.

He just joined the red headed step child of the P5. Might as well he called the P2 and the G9 now - hysterical.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For sake of argument, let's say that it would require ten ACC schools voting in favor of terminating the GOR for it to go away (I don't know their bylaws but I would imagine a super majority, most likely 12+ schools would be required do ten is conservative). Does anyone believe that the ACC has ten member schools who feel they would be in a better overall position if there was no GOR? I doubt there are more than three.

As far as monetizing a GOR release. Fifteen years remain, if they were to claim that early years are worth $30 million each, diminishing (as they get closer to the end of the GOR) over time to an average of $20 million, that puts $300 million as a starting point (to negotiate downward from) just to get out of the GOR. Even if that got negotiated down to $200 million, that plus the exit fee puts departure at a quarter billion dollars.

People need to start looking at this over a far longer term than what they currently are doing. Just because we've only taken competitive intercollegiate sports seriously for a brief period of time (relative to many NCAA member schools) doesn't mean that everything is done with the idea of a three or five year window. The Big Ten has been in existence for a bit more than 125 years. The SEC has been around for 90. I seriously doubt that they are thinking in terms of the next couple of years when they make decisions on conference membership. They are looking at this like a marriage, where membership will bring benefits for decades.

I doubt that there will be much going on with ACC schools (beyond positioning for when they can move on) for the next six to eight years and I fully believe that both the Big Ten and SEC have their eyes on a few ACC members. The window isn't closing on realignment, it isn't fully open yet and it won't be fully open for a while.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Eventually, I think the B1G and SEC will go to 20 or 24 schools. But it won't happen yet. The ACC GOR puts a hold on that. For now, I think the Pac-12 raids the Big 12 and the ACC stays put.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sort of. It’s only every dime for their media rights, which, granted, is a hugely significant number. But all their gate, all their NCAA rights, their sports apparel deals, etc. they all keep.

As noted above, where things get interesting is in the case of Notre Dame who never joined the ACC for football. Thus, the only thing they would give up is the value of their rights to sports other than football. Since media rights contract value is preponderantly derived from football, Notre Dame really doesn’t have much skin in the game. As usual, they are one step ahead on their conference affiliation deals.

It’s like $38M a year, so yeah. Take $38M from an ACC school and you have UConn’s budget situation. It’s not doable while also trying to run a Big Ten program for 15 years on zero television money.

I don’t know if anyone really knows Notre Dame’s situation with the ACC…I guess I would be shocked if it was not a sweetheart deal for the Irish.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The people who think Clemson, FSU, MIA, UNC, Duke will be in the ACC till 2037 or whatever the year is. Uh good one. If that happens those schools are essentially DOA. Are we sure the NCAA is even going to be a thing by then? If the ACC wants to take it to court I'm sure it'll be fun for the ACC to light all that money on fire. Likely what will happen is a settlement will be agreed upon and everyone will be happy.

Reaction Score
BIG
i don't get something here.
i checked the time stamps, this thread is the first one up on the subject, and if you look around the new posts thing, there are a couple more. now, why do i have to scramble around, wasting my precious time scanning all of them on the slight chance that i might read sumthin intelligible?
i thought that you, mr phishguy, had some juice here. where's the right hook? the left jab? heck, can't you use your chompers to get sum action on this organizational collapse?

i think management started drinking early for the holiday.
what kind of throat puncher allows this to happen?
Like your posts typically. Dislike your sense of entitlement here. Get over yourself and do the work,

Reaction Score
The GOR is not going to be broken. There is no “we don’t like this anymore” clause.

You can leave but every single dollar your media rights generate will be payable to the ACC.

There’s a reason that UT and OU are enduring this long divorce from the B12…

This is high comedy. Remember that time Fishy said UConn wouldn’t go back to the Big East. I ‘member.

If enough schools want out, and if they ACC gets raided it won’t be one or two, that GOR will fall apart. Good luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom