Here’s a bombshell | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
the only way the PAC without usc and ucla, and big12 without UT and OU, can stay competitive w/ 20+ member Big10 and SEC conferences is to merge together and create their own ~20 member conference with whoever isn't poached by the Big10.
I'm not too sure how to tell you all this but BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati are in the B12.

I can't imagine that Cal Berkeley, Arizona, or Stanford would have any interest in playing these 4 schools, especially BYU.

I imagine these schools are much more interested in adding Texas Tech, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Iowa St.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remember reading that if enough teams leave the ACC, the GoR becomes invalid, however, I confess that I don't know how many teams it takes to invalidate the agreement since the conference won't release it to the public. I think all the major conference moves will occur well before this decade is done.

If you are Clemson, UNC, ND, FSU how are you not doing everything in your power right now to break that GOR? They see the writing on the wall, and they don't want to be the odd man out. The clear pecking order will be SEC/B1G, Big 12 (once they poach the remaining PAC teams) and then the ACC. Those schools are not going to be cool with making $20M/yr while the SEC/B1G are making $50M+. That GOR will be broken, and it's gonna happen soon.

The GOR is not going to be broken. There is no “we don’t like this anymore” clause.

You can leave but every single dollar your media rights generate will be payable to the ACC.

There’s a reason that UT and OU are enduring this long divorce from the B12…

Reaction Score
The GOR is not going to be broken. There is no “we don’t like this anymore” clause.

You can leave but every single dollar your media rights generate will be payable to the ACC.

There’s a reason that UT and OU are enduring this long divorce from the B12…
Nothing is ever iron clad. Lawyers will find a way to weasel their way out of it. Clemson Miami and FSU are not going to just sit around until 2035. The B1G and SEC will likely have broken off from the NCAA by then

Reaction Score
If they're going West, they'd be foolish not to take all of Cali (USC-Stanford-UCLA-Cal) plus Washington and Oregon. It locks down the West Coast and allows for those teams to have rivalries and not horrible travel.
They’d be foolish to add Cal
Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame, and UConn to round out the B1G. Who says no?
The big10
There is no way the Pac 12 merges with the B12, unless you're referring to the Pac 12 raiding the B12 for 2 schools.
If usc, ucla, UW, oregon, Stanford and Colorado all left then the big12 is a much stronger collection of schools than the remaining six pac schools
I'm not too sure how to tell you all this but BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati are in the B12.

I can't imagine that Cal Berkeley, Arizona, or Stanford would have any interest in playing these 4 schools, especially BYU.

I imagine these schools are much more interested in adding Texas Tech, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Iowa St.
See above
Markets though.

Bay Area is ranked 7th nationally.
Yeah but they don’t need cal if they already have Stanford

Reaction Score
They’d be foolish to add Cal

The big10

If usc, ucla, UW, oregon, Stanford and Colorado all left then the big12 is a much stronger collection of schools than the remaining six pac schools

See above

Yeah but they don’t need cal if they already have Stanford
I totally disagree with this. The Big12 is really like the AAC on roids at this point. Baylor, TCU, Houston, BYU, Cincy, Kansas St, this is not a strong collection of schools (I'm assuming Kansas just ends up somewhere else.

These are the 3 schools that have a little value: Texas Tech, Oklahoma St., Kansas

But schools like Cal, Colorado, Arizona, are pretty big schools with resources that dwarf most of what's left in the B12.

Reaction Score
I always thought ND and the ACC was never a good fit. I imagine ND goes to BIG and Clemson, FSU go to SEC.

This could open the door to WVU, UConn, dare I say Memphis to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree with this. The Big12 is really like the AAC on roids at this point. Baylor, TCU, Houston, BYU, Cincy, Kansas St, this is not a strong collection of schools (I'm assuming Kansas just ends up somewhere else.

These are the 3 schools that have a little value: Texas Tech, Oklahoma St., Kansas

But schools like Cal, Colorado, Arizona, are pretty big schools with resources that dwarf most of what's left in the B12.
you're not reading. this is assuming colorado is one of the 6 schools that leaves. i'm a Cal fan and no one cares about their football program, not even the students. wsu and osu bring nothing to the table either.

the big12 already brings in more revenue than the PAC and you think losing half its members will someone change that?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nothing is ever iron clad. Lawyers will find a way to weasel their way out of it. Clemson Miami and FSU are not going to just sit around until 2035. The B1G and SEC will likely have broken off from the NCAA by then

Spoilers - they will because they have to. Those rights were pledged to the ACC and ESPN so that a television contract could be made. (That contract is with ESPN who is not going to let their cheap house brand conference be decimated by their expensive house brand conference.)

Again..they can leave but every dime they make for the next 15 years will go to the ACC. There is a reason why OU and Texas are not in the SEC already - it’s because GOR’s are enforceable and leaving with one in effect is crippling, even for two years.

Reaction Score
Spoilers - they will because they have to. Those rights were pledged to the ACC and ESPN so that a television contract could be made. (That contract is with ESPN who is not going to let their cheap house brand conference be decimated by their expensive house brand conference.)

Again..they can leave but every dime they make for the next 15 years will go to the ACC. There is a reason why OU and Texas are not in the SEC already - it’s because GOR’s are enforceable and leaving with one in effect is crippling, even for two years.
I love the "lawyers will find a way to weasel out of it" thought as though that contract, which is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, wasn't drafted by the best lawyers money can buy.

Reaction Score
I love the "lawyers will find a way to weasel out of it" thought as though that contract, which is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, wasn't drafted by the best lawyers money can buy.
Lawyers and ESPN. ESPN just bought the SEC rights, and they own part of the B1G rights. If they want Clemson, ND, FSU, and Miami in the SEC/B1G, they will get them in the SEC/B1G.

Reaction Score
That is a game changing tweet. Basically, ND can become a free agent for a relatively small buyout.
How so? It states the GOR would have to be paid, meaning for the next 15 years. I don’t fully understand it all, but it doesn’t equate to a relatively small buyout to me. Unless you mean football only, which I don’t see B1G allowing them to only come in football for next 15 years.

Reaction Score
That is a game changing tweet. Basically, ND can become a free agent for a relatively small buyout.
It would still be over $100 million with the payout and exit fee

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

What if so many schools leave the conference doesn't exist? I ask somewhat seriously because a conference does need a minimum number of schools to exist, no?

Reaction Score
Btw if Kansas went to the ACC and they were able to keep UNC and UVA from leaving, a basketball conference of Duke, UNC, KU, UVA, Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville would be very enticing for UConn...It would likely double the TV money for us and we are not in a position to be turning down millions of dollars

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How so? It states the GOR would have to be paid, meaning for the next 15 years. I don’t fully understand it all, but it doesn’t equate to a relatively small buyout to me. Unless you mean football only, which I don’t see B1G allowing them to only come in football for next 15 years.
The grant of rights is just giving up of the media rights for the school. Notre Dame never joined the ACC for football so they would only be giving up the media rights for their other sports which, including basketball, is a negligible amount in the big scheme of things.

Football drives the bus, as they say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom