Here’s a bombshell | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score

if Big10 isnt done then it's UW and Oregon next. if they want to go to 20 then it's Stanford and Colorado after that. those are the 4 biggest football programs and/or markets remaining.

the 6 leftover PAC teams are all big state schools with big enough alumi bases to merge with the big12 creating an 18 team conference. the thought of Cal flying to orlando to play UCF makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
if Big10 isnt done then it's UW and Oregon next. if they want to go to 20 then it's Stanford and Colorado after that. those are the 4 biggest football programs and/or markets remaining.

the 6 leftover PAC teams have enough geographical appeal to merge with the big12 creating an 18 team conference. the thought of Cal flying to orlando to play UCF makes me want to vomit.
How about that juicy Oregon State vs Cincinnati match-up? Every fans dream!

Reaction Score

You have to assume more Pac 12 schools will be going. The news of USC and UCLA to the Big 10 will push other Pac 12 schools to beg to join. I would assume Stanford/Cal/Oregon/Washington/Arizona/Colorado/Utah are begging to join. Washington St./Oregon St./Arizona St. have no change of getting an invite. Does this put the pressure on ND and the ACC GORs?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Crazy talk now for your amusement
1656621757331.png

Reaction Score

the 6 leftover PAC teams are all big state schools with big enough alumi bases to merge with the big12 creating an 18 team conference. the thought of Cal flying to orlando to play UCF makes me want to vomit.
If they're going West, they'd be foolish not to take all of Cali (USC-Stanford-UCLA-Cal) plus Washington and Oregon. It locks down the West Coast and allows for those teams to have rivalries and not horrible travel.

Reaction Score
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

The Big 10 and SEC cannot take any ACC schools as they have pledged their rights to the conference until 2037.

Why are Oklahoma and Texas waiting until 2025 to move to the SEC? That’s when their GOR expires. Why would UCLA and USC be leaving in 2024? That is when their GOR expires.

The ACC is where it will be. They can add, but they won’t see subtraction.
I remember reading that if enough teams leave the ACC, the GoR becomes invalid, however, I confess that I don't know how many teams it takes to invalidate the agreement since the conference won't release it to the public. I think all the major conference moves will occur well before this decade is done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this could be a trap for UConn. The ACC will not survive, but may try to make a preemptive move to "protect" their league in the short term. Would have to assume UConn would be an ideal candidate to add / backfill.

Have to be careful accepting any invite extended our way that isn't the SEC (never happening) or BIG (unlikely) that doesn't have some sort of protection for the basketball team when the ACC implodes.
Are they gonna trap us by paying us nine times our current media rights? Because that’s the kind of trap I think I can live with.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know ND is not a full ACC member in football and they only play 5(?) ACC games a year. However, they were the only team not to have a set three teams to play each season now that divisions are gone. It's likely so everyone can play them at some point. However, maybe it's because the ACC knew they were leaving for the B1G....hmmm....lol! Let the insane theories roll

Reaction Score
Big 12 would be crazy not to add Utah, Colorado, Arizona and AZ State. Conference would stretch from WV and UCF to Arizona. Adding Arizona would keep Kansas happy with a quality basketball team added.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I've been of the belief for well over a decade that the SEC wants to have a presence in Virginia and North Carolina at some point and that Va Tech and NC St fit culturally (their fan bases are more southern than UVA, UNC) better with the SEC.
UNC and UVA have very Southern fanbases. Just more Ashley Wilkes than Jed Clampett.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I put this in the Key Tweets thread on the Realignment board last week....

FOX and ESPN split up the major conferences, each taking half and creating a B1G brand and an SEC brand. Everyone else falls under their umbrella.

If the B1G and BTN, along with FOX, took an umbrella approach and had the P12 and BE under their umbrella, it would create a national TV audience. B1G and P12 for football with hopefully a UConn game or two mixed in, and then a full basketball reach. Very strong in Northeast, upper midwest and west coast, not as strong in south, southeast and Texas.

Then, Disney takes the ACC, SEC and Big12 and creates a parallel network, stronger in the southeast, Texas and Mid-Atlantic and weaker in Northeast east upper Midwest and west coast.

It would almost be like NFL with an AFC package and an NFC package.

Reaction Score
I know ND is not a full ACC member in football and they only play 5(?) ACC games a year. However, they were the only team not to have a set three teams to play each season now that divisions are gone. It's likely so everyone can play them at some point. However, maybe it's because the ACC knew they were leaving for the B1G....hmmm....lol! Let the insane theories roll
They’d have to break the GOR. Speaking of which, did the PAC not have one or was it in a reset mode for a new contract?

Reaction Score
At this point, I am rooting for FSU & Clemson to find a way out of that GOR and accelerate the poaching of the ACC.

Otherwise it's gonna be awhile before anyone leaves that conference.
If you are Clemson, UNC, ND, FSU how are you not doing everything in your power right now to break that GOR? They see the writing on the wall, and they don't want to be the odd man out. The clear pecking order will be SEC/B1G, Big 12 (once they poach the remaining PAC teams) and then the ACC. Those schools are not going to be cool with making $20M/yr while the SEC/B1G are making $50M+. That GOR will be broken, and it's gonna happen soon.

Reaction Score
If you are Clemson, UNC, ND, FSU how are you not doing everything in your power right now to break that GOR? They see the writing on the wall, and they don't want to be the odd man out. The clear pecking order will be SEC/B1G, Big 12 (once they poach the remaining PAC teams) and then the ACC. Those schools are not going to be cool with making $20M/yr while the SEC/B1G are making $50M+. That GOR will be broken, and it's gonna happen soon.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Reaction Score
We also cannot pretend that DC, NY metro, and Boston are not some of the prime locations for careers for alums of numerous B1G schools
You're not wrong, but they are also prime locations for college grads period. Do graduates from Big East schools, ACC schools, Ivy League schools, Mid Atlantic schools etc etc not settle in those areas?

Reaction Score
No I can say it. The two major conferences will be Big 10 and SEC. A possible third will be the PAC 12/Big 12 merger. ACC will be plundered and won’t be a major conference.
There is no way the Pac 12 merges with the B12, unless you're referring to the Pac 12 raiding the B12 for 2 schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom