Here’s a bombshell | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
I'd think it would have to be Stanford. Academics line up with B1G "beliefs/standards". Huge market for NoCal. Easy flights in/out of SFO or other airports. Money isn't an issue for Stanford. Big name recognition and outstanding in Olympic and non-revenue sports.
Notre Dame. This move was about backing the leprechaun into a corner and forcing him to break. That’s what’s up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s like $38M a year, so yeah. Take $38M from an ACC school and you have UConn’s budget situation. It’s not doable while also trying to run a Big Ten program for 15 years on zero television money.

I don’t know if anyone really knows Notre Dame’s situation with the ACC…I guess I would be shocked if it was not a sweetheart deal for the Irish.
I actually think 38 million a year is high even for a full member. I think it’s more like 32 million a year. Keep in mind however, that Notre Dame is not a full member. They are only in for basketball an Olympic sports. They get paid $10.8 million per year.

So, if Notre Dame decides that they finally want to join the Big Ten, their ACC GOR isn’t going to be an impediment. Let’s say that the value of their basketball an Olympic sports is worth double in the Big Ten what it is in the ACC, which is probably just a little bit high. they’d be giving up 20 million of the 60 that they would get in the big 10 leaving them with 40 million or roughly 30 million more than they’re making now.

Link

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Notre Dame. This move was about backing the leprechaun into a corner and forcing him to break. That’s what’s up.

Yes, I am quite certain the B1G or any other conference would love to have ND.

CL82

Reaction Score
It might be news to you, but it’s the same as it always has been. Exit fee (~$52 million) + GOR. Notre Dame has a football contract with NBC so the ACC only owns 5 games/year.

Notre Dame could chase the money of course. The college landscape has changed irrefutably. I think UNC could be looking at negotiated settlement at this point, but who knows. The B10 seems to have gone all-in on the West Coast, so the SEC might be the only suiter. Time will tell. And maybe sooner than anyone expected from even this morning.
The ACC doesn’t “own” any of Notre Dame’s football games. Notre Dame is independent but has a scheduling agreement with the ACC.

Reaction Score
I actually think 38 million a year is high even for a full member. I think it’s more like 32 million a year. Keep in mind however, that Notre Dame is not a full member. They are only in for basketball an Olympic sports. They get paid $10.8 million per year.

So, if Notre Dame decides that they finally want to join the Big Ten, their ACC GOR isn’t going to be an impediment. Let’s say that the value of their basketball an Olympic sports is worth double in the Big Ten what it is in the ACC, which is probably just a little bit high. they’d be giving up 20 million of the 60 that they would get in the big 10 leaving them with 40 million or roughly 30 million more than they’re making now.

Link
Well the numbers are a bit off. ACC is at $36 million payout now, though it will go up as the ACC Network now is at full rollout. And you forgot to add the NBC contract of about $15 million.

Back of the envelope if ND left by 2025, it would cost ND $52 million + ($11 million x 11 years) = $173 million. Doable with the B10 payouts, but not nothing. ND has consistently taken much less money to not play the B10. USC and the college landscape may have shaken things up enough to change the calculations. Time will tell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Link

I’m not including ND with ACC schools.

I really have no idea what their situation is with the ACC and I don’t think either side has actually spelled it out. I remember Swofford saying that if ND joined a conference, it would have to be the ACC, but I am also sure that the time period in question was not the duration of the television contract.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not including ND with ACC schools.

I really have no idea what their situation is with the ACC and I don’t think either side has actually spelled it out. I remember Swofford saying that if ND joined a conference, it would have to be the ACC, but I am also sure that the time period in question was not the duration of the television contract.
The SI article that I linked spells out the numbers. Now that you mention it, I do remember that there was some provision for period of time that if Notre Dame was to join the conference it would be the ACC. I have no recollection of whether there was any penalty provision associated with that outside of what they forfeit for GOR and exit fees.

Reaction Score
The ACC doesn’t “own” any of Notre Dame’s football games. Notre Dame is independent but has a scheduling agreement with the ACC.
They own the tv rights to Notre Dame’s football games at ACC arenas. It’s why you can find some Irish games on the ACC network.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am quite certain the B1G or any other conference would love to have ND.
Of course. But more than that, if ND wants independence but all their options are in the BiG, like USC & Michigan for example, then they’ll be forced to join whether they like it or not.
Either way they’ll get paid, but if they have to choose between SEC or B1G, who do you think they’ll go with?

Reaction Score
Are the B1G and $EC going to start kicking out the worthless schools (Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota, Mississippi St, etc) when they try to raid the top dogs of the ACC and PAC?
The SEC loves Vandy it gives them a semblance of credibility as academic institutions plus who doesn’t like going to Nashville
Also 3 interstates meet in that City and they have a great Airport.
24, 65, and the mighty 40 .
Other than NO. What SEC city is even close. Plus it’s normally a win All Great reasons for a road trip.
if Vandy were in my league it’s a road game I would pencil in .
Minnesota is very deep in Big Ten lore , Bronko Nukurski‘s school and a power in bygone years. Where talking the History Channel Conference here .
Northwestern again is a very prestigious co founder of the Western close to Chicago see Minnesota.
That leaves Mississippi State and Rutgers both difficult to rationalize . Other than one‘s a legacy , and the other is the Flagship school of a large state adjacent to an unrepresented larger state . That’s the best I can come up with.

Reaction Score
Of course. But more than that, if ND wants independence but all their options are in the BiG, like USC & Michigan for example, then they’ll be forced to join whether they like it or not.
Either way they’ll get paid, but if they have to choose between SEC or B1G, who do you think they’ll go with?
If you looked at ND’s revenue
media is a fraction even if doubled by the B1G contract .
They believe some of that over $100,000,000 in revenue would be in jeopardy if they were in a conference and didn’t dominate it.
They believe their independence and national appeal create that stream. Until that’s in decline they have no reason to join. Would you?

Reaction Score
They've shown over and over throughout realignment they don't care about rivalries and travel.
Exactly…it’s about how much the RSN pays the conf. It’s why B1G took Rutgers. I am forced to pay for the Big Te. Network. Everyone in the state is.

Reaction Score
Lack of leadership over the last 10 years has killed UConn . No stability nor tenure
Actually IMO demographics hurts UConn. Not enough people in the state to add much from a media rights standpoint

Reaction Score
Actually IMO demographics hurts UConn. Not enough people in the state to add much from a media rights standpoint
No no no. Part of Connecticut is in metro New York City market. Metro Hartford, New Haven market is sought after too.

Reaction Score
Northeast is college hoops crazy, they just unfortunately don't do college football well so there's disinterest.

If the super conferences result in leaving the NCAA, billions would be in play for basketball.

Reaction Score
No no no. Part of Connecticut is in metro New York City market. Metro Hartford, New Haven market is sought after too.
I know Ct gets NYC tv. Rutgers gets the B1G that market already. I’m talking about number of people paying to access the RSN…every month. My guess is Ru Is giving the B1G 10 mill a month. NJ has 3x the Ct population and has delivered NYC media access.

CL82

Reaction Score
They own the tv rights to Notre Dame’s football games at ACC arenas. It’s why you can find some Irish games on the ACC network.
I don’t believe the ACC has any ownership in Notre Dame football. The reason why you can find some Notre Dame games on the ACC Netwerk is because they are playing away games against ACC teams.

Reaction Score

UConn is a top 30 TV market, which does not include Fairfield County, which is part of the NYC DMA. If you add in Fairfield County we are close to top 25. It’s much bigger than the Oklahoma City market for example. Add in the average income per household and it’s a sizable DMA for advertising.

DMA Demographics

Reaction Score
It's just stuck in my head that California if it was a country would have the 5th highest GDP and it's shy of $4 trillion.

A lot of money in the Northeast and it's not that huge an area.

The one that sticks with me is that NFL revenue is projected to be 27 billion in 2027. That would put them in the top third of countries GDP.

Reaction Score
UConn is a top 30 TV market, which does not include Fairfield County, which is part of the NYC DMA. If you add in Fairfield County we are close to top 25. It’s much bigger than the Oklahoma City market for example. Add in the average income per household and it’s a sizable DMA for advertising.

DMA Demographics
I’m not disputing any of this. All I’m saying is I assume all of Ct is either already getting the B1G network if u r in the NY market or Acc network if u r in the Boston market. Adding UConn doesn’t add any additional RSN fees. Before RU joined the B1G my cable didn’t charge me for B1G network…now they do.

My assumption is that once UCLA and USC join the B1G network will be on most of California cable packages. At $2 per month that’s a nice annuity BEFORE They renegotiate the tv deal

Reaction Score
I’m not disputing any of this. All I’m saying is I assume all of Ct is either already getting the B1G network if u r in the NY market or Acc network if u r in the Boston market. Adding UConn doesn’t add any additional RSN fees. Before RU joined the B1G my cable didn’t charge me for B1G network…now they do.

My assumption is that once UCLA and USC join the B1G network will be on most of California cable packages. At $2 per month that’s a nice annuity BEFORE They renegotiate the tv deal

Do the TV’s in the Hartford DMA have either the ACC or B1G network? I don’t know. If not, thats still #30, almost 1M tvs, and that should move the needle for us. We also don’t need a full share. I know it’s not a lot, but UConn’s Women BBall has done well on the B1G Network.

Reaction Score
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

The Big 10 and SEC cannot take any ACC schools as they have pledged their rights to the conference until 2037.

Why are Oklahoma and Texas waiting until 2025 to move to the SEC? That’s when their GOR expires. Why would UCLA and USC be leaving in 2024? That is when their GOR expires.

The ACC is where it will be. They can add, but they won’t see subtraction.
With the money and prestige on the table, the GOR will be a negotiated exit for teams leaving the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom