Here’s a bombshell | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
BIG

Like your posts typically. Dislike your sense of entitlement here. Get over yourself and do the work,
cheez and crackers man! it was meant to be tongue in cheek, tho im prolly wrong on that since
What is a shark's tongue called?
A shark's tongue is called a basihyal. A basihyal is a small, thick, relatively immovable piece of cartilage that is found on the floor of the mouth of sharks and fishes.

so, basically useless. kinda like sum attempts here at humor. now, leave me alone. we got an intervention going on in another thread where some confoosed soul is actually contemplating driving from here to Baltimore for an overnighter. crazy, right? right?
i guess that one could say, when the almost inevitable traffic mess hits them, that they could while away the hours stuck in the car, chatting aboot conference realignment...

Reaction Score
If ACC schools want to negotiate out of GOR, why not sign with Big 10 and agree to not get television revenue share up until 2035. So remaining ACC schools get nothing until then, and that would be a negotiating point between the leaving schools and the ACC.

Some schools joining new leagues have agreed to smaller payouts for a while (think Rutgers did that with Big 10).

Not sure how GOR written but if for example Miami wanted out of ACC and would cancel football program would they be required to pay ACC anything through 2035.

Reaction Score
Knight is like 80 years old, no?

These decisions are generational.

Nike's next leadership team has no sentimental ties to Oregon.
He's 84. You think Nike is going to just abandon Oregon when he dies?

Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Sort of. The Big Ten receives a premium rate for households within the NYDMA, which includes Fairfield County. they are not getting it for the remaining 2 million people in the rest of the state. (Really, this discussion is more accurate if you talk about households rather than population, I just don’t know those numbers off the top of my head.) So adding Connecticut does give the big 10 a potential revenue boost. The question is whether that revenue boost is enough to pay for Connecticut getting a share of the rest of the Big 10’s income distributions. My guess is probably not.

Fortuitously, that is not the only criteria as the world drifts away from cable TV and moves towards a subscription TV model. There, total fans become important, so that has to be included in modeling the revenue that Connecticut would bring. I’m still not confident that the math works, but it’s not as simple as whether or not every part of the state gets the BTN.
Thanks. Stated much more eloquently than me! I would just add that we use Hulu and get BTN in northern NJ. but not when I am in Fla.

Just trying to point out that just because Ct has an affluent population IMO if an agreement doesn’t bring enough NEW eyeballs it’s prob not worth to add Uconn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Knight is like 80 years old, no?

These decisions are generational.

Nike's next leadership team has no sentimental ties to Oregon.

I'll take your word on his age. Not going to Google it. But these are exactly the type of legacy leaving donations old wealthy people make to keep their name relevant after they depart the earth.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If ACC schools want to negotiate out of GOR, why not sign with Big 10 and agree to not get television revenue share up until 2035. So remaining ACC schools get nothing until then, and that would be a negotiating point between the leaving schools and the ACC.

Some schools joining new leagues have agreed to smaller payouts for a while (think Rutgers did that with Big 10).

Not sure how GOR written but if for example Miami wanted out of ACC and would cancel football program would they be required to pay ACC anything through 2035.

lol….it doesn’t work that way.

If your plan to get out of the GOR is to cancel your football program or forgo rights revenue for 14 years, you’re getting fired and frog marched out of the athletic department.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Exactly. There is ZERO chance the ACC stays intact until 2037. It won't even keep all its members until 2027. Clemson/FSU and probably Miami will be in the SEC within the next 5 years and there is nothing the ACC can do about it.

There is every chance that the ACC stays intact and very little chance Miami, FSU or Clemson joins the SEC in 5 years. Why would ESPN wreck the ACC so that they can pay triple the amount they current pay for those three schools?

You guys do know that the networks make these decisions, right?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is every chance that the ACC stays intact and very little chance Miami, FSU or Clemson joins the SEC in 5 years. Why would ESPN wreck the ACC so that they can pay triple the amount they current pay for those three schools?
There’s a lot of wishful thinking because everyone wants to see the ACC raided.

Reaction Score
he B1G is not going to incorporate 6 Pac-10 teams. The money is huge but it's finite. All I'm saying is that the Pac10 left behinds are a lot more valuable than the top B12 schools, so they'd be negotiating from a position of strength.
my argument was based on the premise that the big10 would land at 20 teams thereby becoming the "superconference" always foretold.

but otherwise i agree, if the big10 pauses and waits to see what ND does before accepted anyone else, then the PAC needs to be proactive as they should still have the upper hand in a pillaging battle with the big12. having said that i dont think they care to add any big12 schools so theyre probably just going to sit still, whither, and die.

the big12 on the other hand is definitely clamoring for the likes of colorado utah, and arizona.

i think the two crippled leagues need to just merge and beat the big10/sec to creating a superconference comprised of the 22 western teams not names usc, ucla, ut and ou.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With the money and prestige on the table, the GOR will be a negotiated exit for teams leaving the ACC.

How many negotiated exits from a grant of rights have you see so far? Do you think it’s a coincidence that these huge deals are contingent on the GORs expiring?

There’s zero reason for the ACC to negotiate anyone’s GOR and there’s so much risk for a school committing to leave absent any agreement. We’re talking about the better part of a billion dollars worth of risk.

Reaction Score

You guys do know that the networks make these decisions, right?

There is Zero chance that UConn will go back to the Big East.

Reaction Score
lol….it doesn’t work that way.

If your plan to get out of the GOR is to cancel your football program or forgo rights revenue for 14 years, you’re getting fired and frog marched out of the athletic department.
How about they launder their media rights and the schools get their share under a different account? Would that work? Just being sarcastic because the cartel is one notch above a criminal enterprise anyway

Reaction Score
Please provide a list off all the minor leagues that are wildly successful.
Please provide a list of the minor leagues that have alumni.

I'm not saying this is good, or that the future of college sports will be great. I'm only pointing out that even if it is a minor league of sorts, it is inherently different than something like baseball's minor leagues.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Who wants to pick the tipping point when fans decide that college sports is just a minor league for the pros and stop giving a spit about it?

We’re well on the way to this.
If you were born and raised in New England that may be your take but out here in Chicago Big Ten football and Notre Dame football are as big a draw or a bigger draw than pro football. College football and basketball are quite a bit different than the pros and many people prefer the college versions.

Reaction Score
I agree they've lost perspective but I'm guessing you watch UConn basketball since you post here. Why do you want to watch minor league professional basketball when there's 30 NBA teams with the best in the world playing?

I watch both UCONN hoops and football. I'm not sure I can explain very well why I have traditionally watched college over professional athletics over the years. But, it certainly has something to do with my identification with UCONN as an alumni, pride in competing at the highest level in what had been perceived as a relatively level playing field, and watching young people compete at that level for the love of the game. And, frequently, there was a David and Goliath thing going on......."shock the world" he said.

Now, I know it has never been a perfect system, but this is now unfettered professional athletics complete with free agency and two conferences that will dominate the money, and, therefore, the talent. Money is now the sole driver and anyone who thinks that academics will play any role at all in this is dreaming. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom