Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Spoke with Oz from tos at First Night. No I'm not making this up and no I don't want to stir up the boneyard for no reason. Oz says we're good.

Where'd you talk to him?

Reaction Score
Wow ok. I think i've digested @husky429 completely erroneous post, hamidous diallo a top ten player wont get drafted because he has to work on his jump shot? basketball is not a game of jump shooting its called basketball, he is exceptional at a number of things other prospects fell very very short of. He proved this to me in the u18 games thats all i needed to see, he is a more dynamic transition athlete than any of those guys, and he also possesses nba ready physical attributes to be a above replacement defender. His upside lies in his shooting and overall pnr play;ones those get refined he has superstar potential.

I was on high on briscoe out of high school , and i was wrong. but i didn't see him as much as i've seen HD.

It's erroneous that similarly ranked players have had trouble carving out successful NBA careers, even college careers? They are similarly ranked because they are similarly good players, albeit for different reasons. It means that there's 9-10 players ranked better than him in this one year. The 2017 class isn't even known for being especially deep like the freshman class is right now.

If he is so NBA ready, explain to me why he is not the #1 pick.

I am glad you are really hyped about a player we might get on the UCONN roster. He is an extraordinary athlete and transition player. I will not deny that, ever. He has a pretty elite stop and pop too, but not coming off of screens a la Rip Hamilton, only really when he has the ball. When he wants to be, he is an astounding 1:1 defender as well. I watched every one of those u18 games too, and I remember very clearly that at times he disappeared, even for games at a time. I believe the gold medal game was the first I was really impressed with his play (but don't quote me, it was a while ago!). He made some transition buckets, a mid-range shot, and smothered one player on defense when they needed a stop.

But in basketball at the NBA level players need to have a respectable shot. Especially a SHOOTING guard. That is the direction the NBA is moving. This is not the 90s, in all reality the shooting guard position is not the highly regarded position it once was. Teams are looking for athletic 3s and bigs more than anything right now; great shooting guards need to be a notch above the rest if they're going early lottery.

As far a defense goes, it's just like anything else. potential. He has shown nothing yet. JUST being long does not make you a good defender. He is already slightly undersized for the position. I believe I got that nugget from his June draftexpress eval? And his potential as a 1:1 defender is great, but NBA defenses are very, very, very complex and kids need to pick up schemes quickly. It's not JUST athleticism and a good feel for anticipating passes. Defense is certainly a plus for his draft potential.

Is elite transition game translatable to the NBA? Yes. Is his mid range game? Yes. Does elite athleticism make the NBA drool? Yes. But they also see a sub-par passer (not because he's selfish... genuinely he just hasn't learned it); they also see a shaky handle for the second ball handler on the court; they also see someone who has shot roughly 20% from 3 in a league that is desperately looking for shooters. If he was ONLY not a great shooter, that would be one thing, but he's also a young kid with some BBIQ to learn before he can be great.

That's why I think he needs a year to get drafted where he wants to be.

Not attempting to be an a hole here. And maybe I'm defensive because I think the kid is coming here, but you are not an elite level NBA scout like you make yourself out to be, man. I'm a pretty decent basketball coach, and I'm certainly not saying that I know what's going on in scouts heads.

edit 1: You're right he's also solid in the PnR. Can't deny that either, and it's important to the NBA. But, without a respectable shot and shaky passing, he's going to get eaten alive. All they need to do is drop low and give him the 3. That's defense 101. The crazy part here, is that I'm pretty high on Diallo. I think he has all-star potential. You just don't seem to recognize that he has critical flaws to his game like most every player does not ranked in the top 2-3.

Reaction Score
“I definitely had a great time. It was a great atmosphere,” Diallo, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, said after the event.

The rumor prior to Friday was that Diallo would be in Kentucky for the Wildcats’ practice showcase. Others thought he might venture to Syracuse for a visit. But he came to UConn.

Although he insists he’s not close to making a college choice, Diallo’s presence in Storrs at First Night for the third year in a row seems to indicate he’s high on the Huskies.

Diallo’s fellow New York native and former teammate at Putnam Science Academy, Mamadou Diarra, is now a freshman forward with the Huskies and that obviously influenced Diallo’s decision to be in Storrs this weekend.

“It was my decision to come here and support my cousin and have a good time,” Diallo said.

Diallo may one day take part in the events, but he’s keeping his thoughts on his future largely to himself.

“I haven’t set any (official) visits, yet. I’m still wide-open with my recruiting and still enjoying the process,” Diallo said.

He admits he does like UConn.

“It’s like other programs recruiting me: great atmosphere, great coaches. I’m blessed to have top-of-the-line programs recruiting me,” Diallo said.

Visitors welcome

Reaction Score
@husky429 So Diallo has critical flaws in his game that would be corrected under one year of ollie? playing under entirely different rules and level of comp? He isn't the most polished perfect prospect, he spaces out in games and seems to be a bit unpredictable. Doesn't like shooting threes but thats not the end all be all of being a great prospect, he can be very effective exploding off a weakside skip and do stuff like this

hami.png

As far as defensively, we will just have to disagree because the guy is exceptional at a number of aspects on that side of the floor including but not limited to : Controlled close outs off digs, digging/scrapping at penetrators, on ball defense, and completely obliterating screens. This is all when he is locked in like he was vs canada, a game where markelle fultz, a touted #1 pick couldn't stay on the floor because of his inability to stay with the athletic canadian wings.

Also people go under the screen on plenty of great young nba players without 35% range, antetekoumpo, winslow come to mind. just to be clear I want him in storrs because I do think Ollie could help him gain confidence, but i also think if he wanted to he could be drafted relatively high after his PG year.

Reaction Score
He's coming tonight to announce that he'll be attending UK, and that both Houston & Cincy have been invited to the Big 12.

He'll depart in Emmert's limo, which will be driven by Jeff Hathaway.

HAHAHAHAHAH well done.

Reaction Score
@husky429 So Diallo has critical flaws in his game that would be corrected under one year of ollie? playing under entirely different rules and level of comp? He isn't the most polished perfect prospect, he spaces out in games and seems to be a bit unpredictable. Doesn't like shooting threes but thats not the end all be all of being a great prospect, he can be very effective exploding off a weakside skip and do stuff like this

View attachment 16183

As far as defensively, we will just have to disagree because the guy is exceptional at a number of aspects on that side of the floor including but not limited to : Controlled close outs off digs, digging/scrapping at penetrators, on ball defense, and completely obliterating screens. This is all when he is locked in like he was vs canada, a game where markelle fultz, a touted #1 pick couldn't stay on the floor because of his inability to stay with the athletic canadian wings.

Also people go under the screen on plenty of great young nba players without 35% range, antetekoumpo, winslow come to mind. just to be clear I want him in storrs because I do think Ollie could help him gain confidence, but i also think if he wanted to he could be drafted relatively high after his PG year.

Did I say that critical flaws would be corrected in one year? No. They certainly could be helped playing under an experienced D1 coach against tougher competition, along with more practice time against tougher players. He's in a tough basketball league now, but it's nothing like D1 ball and scouts know that. Even at UCONN's level he won't be able to drive as consistently as he does now. There's a reason why every decent prospect doesn't take a PG year and go straight to the pros.

"entirely different rules" lol. The game is not that different, hoss. There's some differences, but it isn't changing the fundamentals of the game.

Again, he is a terrific defender because of his athleticism right now. Team defense becomes more and more important the higher level of basketball one plays.

You're still choosing to ignore that he is also still learning BBIQ--passing, dribbling in the half-court etc. I think because you don't have a good answer for it. Again, he is an excellent prospect and you seem to be taking this a wee bit personally. He will need to get feedback to decide if he is likely to be drafted. We'll chat in 6 months or so and see who was correct. I wouldn't be surprised if he went NBA, but it is definitely not the right decision. He doesn't have being 7' tall to help him out like Thon Maker did.

We'll agree to disagree. In the future, you'll get along better with people if you don't come across as so dichotomous in your writing. FWIW

Reaction Score
HamD has to know how bad of an idea that is... I just can't see him getting drafted well. Or maybe he'll find out from scouts--would he be allowed to go to the combine to get feedback like college players are now?

His shot is just NOT there for a shooting guard at the NBA level, and he needs to bulk up; he's only 188lbs.

Huge potential no doubt, but the NBA would be a mistake. Look at the guards around his rank in the last 5 years (not just SGs, that would be too few I think)...

2015:
#8 Malik Newman - Transferring to Kansas; averaged 11/3/2 at Mississippi State
#10 Jamal Murray - Playing for Nuggets; #17 pick; averaged 20/5/2 at Kentucky; good start in the NBA
#12 Isaiah Briscoe - Still at Kentucky; 10/5/3 last year. 14% from 3, 46% from the line yeesh

2014:
#12 Rashad Vaughn - 1 year at UNLV; Playing for the bucks; #17 pick; averaging 3/.6/1
#13 Isaiah Whitehead - 2 years at Seton Hall; #42 draft pick; averaging 4.5/1/0 in preseason NBA games.

2013:
#6 Aaron Harrison - Spent two years at Kentucky; undrafted; averaging 1/1/0 with the Hornets
#8 Kasey Hill - Still at Florida; averaged 9/2/3
#13 Wayne Selden - 3 years at Kansas; undrafted; averaging about 6/3/1.5 in preseason with the Grizzlies

2012:
#10: Marcus Smart - 2 years at Oklahoma; 6th pick; averaging 9/4/3 for the Celts
#11: Ricky Ledo - Never played for Providence (academics); 43rd pick; averaging 4/1/1 for the Mavs.
#13:Rashed Suilamon - 4 years in college; drafted by hornets; basically didn't play preseason.
#14: Rodney Purvis (had to include him!) - Still at UCONN! Will likely be undrafted or very late 2nd round this year.

2011:
#11 Josiah Turner: 1 year in Arizona; undrafted; D League now.
#12 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - (maybe a really good comp for HamD?)2 years at Georgia, Pick #8; averaging 16/4/2
#13 PJ Hairston - 2 years at UNC; Drafted #26; averaging 6/3/1 with Rockets

The history for HamD is intriguing... on the one hand, a bunch of these guys never panned out at all. Maybe they needed more college conditioning; maybe they never had "it"? The one example of someone going straight pro--Ricky Ledo--did not turn out well at ALL. On the other hand, some guys may have been hurt by the draft after they didn't play so well in college. Who really knows... This shows you how TOUGH it is to make an NBA roster though, even for elite guards.

Doesn't this completely make the case for going to the NBA?

His choice is:
A) Declare for the draft and be a 1st round pick with guaranteed millions
B) Play in college, maybe get better and be a higher pick, but more likely get exposed and end up with nothing

You listed 15 guys, 14 of whom went to college. Of those 14 guys, 2 are basically up in the air (Newman and Briscoe), the other 12 are set or we have a good idea how their college career will finish. Of those 12, we have: 2 lottery picks, 3 other 1st rounds, 7 2nd round, undrafted, or to be.

So, assuming if he declares in the spring he's picked late 1st round: if he goes to college, there's a 1/6 chance of improving his position, a 1/4 chance of maintaining his position, and better than 50% chance of a worse draft position.

Oh, and if he goes to college, he for sure has to wait at least a year to get whatever money would be coming to him.

Reaction Score
Doesn't this completely make the case for going to the NBA?

His choice is:
A) Declare for the draft and be a 1st round pick with guaranteed millions
B) Play in college, maybe get better and be a higher pick, but more likely get exposed and end up with nothing

You listed 15 guys, 14 of whom went to college. Of those 14 guys, 2 are basically up in the air (Newman and Briscoe), the other 12 are set or we have a good idea how their college career will finish. Of those 12, we have: 2 lottery picks, 3 other 1st rounds, 7 2nd round, undrafted, or to be.

So, assuming if he declares in the spring he's picked late 1st round: if he goes to college, there's a 1/6 chance of improving his position, a 1/4 chance of maintaining his position, and better than 50% chance of a worse draft position.

Oh, and if he goes to college, he for sure has to wait at least a year to get whatever money would be coming to him.

You're not wrong. I probably didn't explain myself well enough which may have caused James confusion (and me being an a hole because I'm hungover and forget I'm talking about a high schooler playing a game).

I meant to suggest that seeing the 2-3/15 guys that are really doing much in the NBA at about his ranking/position, I don't see why scouts would take the risk. They know that there's a high chance of him not panning out. Personally, I don't see him taken in the first round because of that. His athleticism is not a dime a dozen, but GMs are more likely to take a risk on a big man than a guard in the draft.

I suppose this argument all boils down to whether or not he could be taken high enough to get guaranteed $$$ in the lottery. If he can, I'd leave in his position too. He'll get feedback after his high school season and make a decision from there.

Where do these rumors of him turning pro come from anyways? Seems like all he's said in interviews at least is "it's an option but right now I am set on going to college"... that's ambiguous and leaning towards college at best, no?

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. I probably didn't explain myself well enough which may have caused James confusion (and me being an a hole because I'm hungover and forget I'm talking about a high schooler playing a game).

I meant to suggest that seeing the 2-3/15 guys that are really doing much in the NBA at about his ranking/position, I don't see why scouts would take the risk. They know that there's a high chance of him not panning out. Personally, I don't see him taken in the first round because of that. His athleticism is not a dime a dozen, but GMs are more likely to take a risk on a big man than a guard in the draft.

I suppose this argument all boils down to whether or not he could be taken high enough to get guaranteed $$$ in the lottery. If he can, I'd leave in his position too. He'll get feedback after his high school season and make a decision from there.

Where do these rumors of him turning pro come from anyways? Seems like all he's said in interviews at least is "it's an option but right now I am set on going to college"... that's ambiguous and leaning towards college at best, no?

Yes, that's fair. If NBA GMs did the analysis you did, they'd see that #10-ranked high school guards would be overvalued if taken in the first round of the draft. But I think there's enough "upside"/hype that he'd go in the 20-30 range.

The rumor comes from the fact that he could go, not in his words. On the women's side, Morgan Tuck said all of last year that she'd return for her senior year even though she was eligible for the draft. Come April, she left for the draft.

The rationale calculus (which can be done by anybody at anytime) greatly outweighs people's word.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's fair. If NBA GMs did the analysis you did, they'd see that #10-ranked high school guards would be overvalued if taken in the first round of the draft. But I think there's enough "upside"/hype that he'd go in the 20-30 range.

The rumor comes from the fact that he could go, not in his words. On the women's side, Morgan Tuck said all of last year that she'd return for her senior year even though she was eligible for the draft. Come April, she left for the draft.

The rationale calculus (which can be done by anybody at anytime) greatly outweighs people's word.
Tuck also had her second set of knee issues last year, which more likely than not affected her decision to leave. Not to say that couldn't happen with Diallo as well

Reaction Score

Not to direct this thread on a tangent, but it must be unusual for a women's player to leave before her eligibility expires, no? I think Candace Parker might have left early but I can't recall anybody else doing it.

Reaction Score
Not to direct this thread on a tangent, but it must be unusual for a women's player to leave before her eligibility expires, no? I think Candace Parker might have left early but I can't recall anybody else doing it.

In the women's game, I think you have to be 4 years past high school (or 22 years old) to be draft-eligible. Jewell Loyd left ND early when she could even without a medical redshirt to consider, basically to duck UConn. Tuck graduated, but because of injury had another year available; she chose the WNBA.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Holy s*** all those who are stringing others along with these BS hints at "what Oz the holy and great" said on the other board duck* off. Either paraphrase what the guy said or don't say anything at all, your just wasting everyone's time and muddying up the last page and a half. I can physically see the pleasure you are getting from being a tease that doesn't want to spoil "the premium board". Anyone whose been on the internet before knows the Rivals premium boards are a joke and you should feel bad for wasting your money on it, don't try to justify your purchase by making secret cryptic members-only posts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy s*** all those who are stringing others along with these BS hints at "what Oz the holy and great" said on the other board duck* off. Either paraphrase what the guy said or don't say anything at all, your just wasting everyone's time and muddying up the last page and a half. I can physically see the pleasure you are getting from being a tease that doesn't want to spoil "the premium board". Anyone whose been on the internet before knows the Rivals premium boards are a joke and you should feel bad for wasting your money on it, don't try to justify your purchase by making secret cryptic members-only posts.
It was anything ground breaking. He said what he's pretty much been saying. Hami is UCONN bound sooner rather than later

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I respect that but why bring up it here when you know you aren't going to say anything?
@JimOllie makes claim about speaking with Oz and gives good news.
Posters in this forum have taken JimOllie to task in the past.
@methodology says Oz and nugget in follow up post from a site Oz posts. Oz is plugged in with UConn recruiting
Seems to me nothing more needs to be said. At least from Oz's perspective UConn is in good shape with Hami.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It has happened - Morgan Tuck, obviously - but it's not common.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
@BUHusky10 I understand your angst. But out of all the "insiders" that are connected to UConn-basketball forums, Oz has been right more times than not and has been consistent for a while. Take that with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom