Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
FWIW, which isn't a lot, a friend of mine is a manager and told me this was the case a month ago.

It's worth more than my speculation based on all the insiders here. Thanks for passing this along.

Reaction Score
UConn's stellar NBA producing history starts with Cliff Robinson in 1989 (yes, I know Corny Thompson and others, but I'm talking about the current run).

To most people, this is enough of a history to overshadow anything that came before. We are talking about 27 years of producing NBA players. That's quite a bit of time, and the run after Robinson soon included Chris Smith, Tate George, Scotty Burrell.

I really don't think history means much beyond these 30 years or so. It's a very long time.

Now, if you talk about conference, fan support, and a few other things, UConn may be at a disadvantage.
There's a reason we were in the top three (by ESPN, mind you), in the " path to the draft" rankings of schools. Now, it's true that UConn has produced fewer hall of famers than say, that one sick UNC team, and a bunch of 60s-70s UCLA teams, but, to some degree UConn has done more with less. I can't cite Ray Allen as an example - he clearly was ridiculously under ranked coming in (right around 35), but guys like Hilton, Emeka (also, obviously severely under ranked), Burrell, Jeff Adrien, KO, and a bunch of others had solid NBA careers, far beyond what their recruiting rankings would have suggested. Out of all of those, the guy who really sticks out is the head coach. When Calhoun joked about KO lasting 13 years in the NBA w/o a jump shot - really, that's the most flattering thing a guy could ever say about you. Despite your limitations, you lasted. As incoming recruits look at coaches, the understanding of what KO did, despite limited talent, is what will form the bedrock of his recruiting classes. And, that's why I won't fret when we miss out on whatever 5 star Prima Donna type. I want the guys like KO - who don't quit, and reap the rewards later.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected! I like the sound of this...
I could see him going to their Blue/White game which is next Friday.

I don't think they bring as much star power to that, but I'm sure he'll be treated to a great time.

Reaction Score
If we get Diallo and Bamba we should be preseason #1 next year, team will be loaded and have experience

Talent leads to more talent IMO. So while I don't think that Bamba's decision is directly linked to Diallo's, I do think that getting one five-star guy makes it easier to get the next.

Reaction Score
So Ollie doesn't get another shooting guard commit, but you still get to revel in the recruiting experience. In the video posted earlier he even says it makes you feel GREAT. All the attention, the "treatment" 9' official visits, free swag, etc.

What is the point of a silent verbal? Who does it benefit?

I honestly don't get it.

Reaction Score
diallo is either committing to connecticut in the spring or he will early entry. I would probably bet the house he is taking his chances at the pros from everything i'm heard, and no i'm not ruthlessly looking for a pat on the back its just facts. Him hitting the pros asap is running rampant

Reaction Score
Again, I ask for a Boneyard Crystal Ball to be created and pinned so I know whose opinion to believe the most.

Reaction Score
diallo is either committing to connecticut in the spring or he will early entry. I would probably bet the house he is taking his chances at the pros from everything i'm heard, and no i'm not ruthlessly looking for a pat on the back its just facts. Him hitting the pros asap is running rampant

HamD has to know how bad of an idea that is... I just can't see him getting drafted well. Or maybe he'll find out from scouts--would he be allowed to go to the combine to get feedback like college players are now?

His shot is just NOT there for a shooting guard at the NBA level, and he needs to bulk up; he's only 188lbs.

Huge potential no doubt, but the NBA would be a mistake. Look at the guards around his rank in the last 5 years (not just SGs, that would be too few I think)...

2015:
#8 Malik Newman - Transferring to Kansas; averaged 11/3/2 at Mississippi State
#10 Jamal Murray - Playing for Nuggets; #17 pick; averaged 20/5/2 at Kentucky; good start in the NBA
#12 Isaiah Briscoe - Still at Kentucky; 10/5/3 last year. 14% from 3, 46% from the line yeesh

2014:
#12 Rashad Vaughn - 1 year at UNLV; Playing for the bucks; #17 pick; averaging 3/.6/1
#13 Isaiah Whitehead - 2 years at Seton Hall; #42 draft pick; averaging 4.5/1/0 in preseason NBA games.

2013:
#6 Aaron Harrison - Spent two years at Kentucky; undrafted; averaging 1/1/0 with the Hornets
#8 Kasey Hill - Still at Florida; averaged 9/2/3
#13 Wayne Selden - 3 years at Kansas; undrafted; averaging about 6/3/1.5 in preseason with the Grizzlies

2012:
#10: Marcus Smart - 2 years at Oklahoma; 6th pick; averaging 9/4/3 for the Celts
#11: Ricky Ledo - Never played for Providence (academics); 43rd pick; averaging 4/1/1 for the Mavs.
#13:Rashed Suilamon - 4 years in college; drafted by hornets; basically didn't play preseason.
#14: Rodney Purvis (had to include him!) - Still at UCONN! Will likely be undrafted or very late 2nd round this year.

2011:
#11 Josiah Turner: 1 year in Arizona; undrafted; D League now.
#12 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - (maybe a really good comp for HamD?)2 years at Georgia, Pick #8; averaging 16/4/2
#13 PJ Hairston - 2 years at UNC; Drafted #26; averaging 6/3/1 with Rockets

The history for HamD is intriguing... on the one hand, a bunch of these guys never panned out at all. Maybe they needed more college conditioning; maybe they never had "it"? The one example of someone going straight pro--Ricky Ledo--did not turn out well at ALL. On the other hand, some guys may have been hurt by the draft after they didn't play so well in college. Who really knows... This shows you how TOUGH it is to make an NBA roster though, even for elite guards.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
HamD has to know how bad of an idea that is... I just can't see him getting drafted well. Or maybe he'll find out from scouts--would he be allowed to go to the combine to get feedback like college players are now?

His shot is just NOT there for a shooting guard at the NBA level, and he needs to bulk up; he's only 188lbs.

Huge potential no doubt, but the NBA would be a mistake. Look at the guards around his rank in the last 5 years (not just SGs, that would be too few I think)...

2015:
#8 Malik Newman - Transferring to Kansas; averaged 11/3/2 at Mississippi State
#10 Jamal Murray - Playing for Nuggets; #17 pick; averaged 20/5/2 at Kentucky; good start in the NBA
#12 Isaiah Briscoe - Still at Kentucky; 10/5/3 last year. 14% from 3, 46% from the line yeesh

2014:
#12 Rashad Vaughn - 1 year at UNLV; Playing for the bucks; #17 pick; averaging 3/.6/1
#13 Isaiah Whitehead - 2 years at Seton Hall; #42 draft pick; averaging 4.5/1/0 in preseason NBA games.

2013:
#6 Aaron Harrison - Spent two years at Kentucky; undrafted; averaging 1/1/0 with the Hornets
#8 Kasey Hill - Still at Florida; averaged 9/2/3
#13 Wayne Selden - 3 years at Kansas; undrafted; averaging about 6/3/1.5 in preseason with the Grizzlies

2012:
#10: Marcus Smart - 2 years at Oklahoma; 6th pick; averaging 9/4/3 for the Celts
#11: Ricky Ledo - Never played for Providence (academics); 43rd pick; averaging 4/1/1 for the Mavs.
#13:Rashed Suilamon - 4 years in college; drafted by hornets; basically didn't play preseason.
#14: Rodney Purvis (had to include him!) - Still at UCONN! Will likely be undrafted or very late 2nd round this year.

2011:
#11 Josiah Turner: 1 year in Arizona; undrafted; D League now.
#12 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - (maybe a really good comp for HamD?)2 years at Georgia, Pick #8; averaging 16/4/2
#13 PJ Hairston - 2 years at UNC; Drafted #26; averaging 6/3/1 with Rockets

The history for HamD is intriguing... on the one hand, a bunch of these guys never panned out at all. Maybe they needed more college conditioning; maybe they never had "it"? The one example of someone going straight pro--Ricky Ledo--did not turn out well at ALL. On the other hand, some guys may have been hurt by the draft after they didn't play so well in college. Who really knows... This shows you how TOUGH it is to make an NBA roster though, even for elite guards.
One important part you missed and that's very relevant: all these dudes got PAID for simply declaring. The allure of that, and confidence in your own game, is enough to send almost every player packing for NYC.

Reaction Score
Wow ok. I think i've digested @husky429 completely erroneous post, hamidous diallo a top ten player wont get drafted because he has to work on his jump shot? basketball is not a game of jump shooting its called basketball, he is exceptional at a number of things other prospects fell very very short of. He proved this to me in the u18 games thats all i needed to see, he is a more dynamic transition athlete than any of those guys, and he also possesses nba ready physical attributes to be a above replacement defender. His upside lies in his shooting and overall pnr play;ones those get refined he has superstar potential.

I was on high on briscoe out of high school , and i was wrong. but i didn't see him as much as i've seen HD.

Reaction Score
There's a reason we were in the top three (by ESPN, mind you), in the " path to the draft" rankings of schools. Now, it's true that UConn has produced fewer hall of famers than say, that one sick UNC team, and a bunch of 60s-70s UCLA teams, but, to some degree UConn has done more with less. I can't cite Ray Allen as an example - he clearly was ridiculously under ranked coming in (right around 35), but guys like Hilton, Emeka (also, obviously severely under ranked), Burrell, Jeff Adrien, KO, and a bunch of others had solid NBA careers, far beyond what their recruiting rankings would have suggested. Out of all of those, the guy who really sticks out is the head coach. When Calhoun joked about KO lasting 13 years in the NBA w/o a jump shot - really, that's the most flattering thing a guy could ever say about you. Despite your limitations, you lasted. As incoming recruits look at coaches, the understanding of what KO did, despite limited talent, is what will form the bedrock of his recruiting classes. And, that's why I won't fret when we miss out on whatever 5 star Prima Donna type. I want the guys like KO - who don't quit, and reap the rewards later.

Great post, and I appreciate what you're saying, however........

I want both the KO types, as well as some 5 stars sprinkled in. Call me greedy.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom