Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

Reaction Score
One more thought on Evelyn. In the highlight film, she appears to be the tallest player on the floor for Murray St, and is typically matched up against the opposing team's center, and yet, she creates fits for opposing Bigs. I consider TN's 6'3" Cheridene Green their best interior defender, and there are several occasions on the film where Evelyn just flat out abuses her. At UConn, Evelyn will get to play the 4 and be matched up against smaller defenders she can overpower. At the same time, with Liv and Evelyn on the court together, Megan could move to the 3 to play against smaller wings that she can overpower. It's going to be a lot of fun next year to watch UConn be the physical team.
Great point. It’s the importance of having megatron paying the 3 a more natural position and less of the need to bang and rebound against bigger players. With Liv and Megan and now Evelyn it will be a decent size. CW can rebound for a guard as well. If BatCam is healthy I think we’re ok but not great. Another big preferably 6’3” or so would be helpful for the teams with bigger lineups

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Apologies in advance but I don't have time to read 7 pages right now. If she's a RS Junior can she play 2 more years?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I imagine any team playing Murray State would have keyed in on Evelyn. What can she do if she isn't the focus of the defense?

Reaction Score
Apologies in advance but I don't have time to read 7 pages right now. If she's a RS Junior can she play 2 more years?
Then I don't have time to answer. You could just read the first page. I guarantee you won't have to read more than three posts to get your answer.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Then I don't have time to answer. You could just read the first page. I guarantee you won't have to read more than three posts to get your answer.

I read the 1st page. Show me where it explains if she has 1 yr of eligibility left, or 2.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the primary 'difference' for Geno over the past 5 years is the much greater competition for his 'type' of players - MsSt, SC, Oregon schools specifically, but also ND which for most of the decade 2001 to 2010 wasn't much to write about. And those are just the headliners.

He has recruited players he likes but whose skills are a step down from elite, and with this past year's misses he also took a look farther afield (Europe.)

People also have to realize that NCs are not easy - without DT he would have two fewer, without Maya or without Tina he would likely have two fewer, and without Stewie he likely has 4 fewer. Each of those 4 players was irreplaceable and there just aren't that many of those type players available. At this moment he doesn't have one of those players and didn't have one for the last three years even while he had a lot of talent. Because he didn't have one of those players, winning an NC would have required some luck and the luck didn't get them further than a FF berth (nothing to sneeze at!!!)

Being spoiled by Stewie and her classmates was a wonderful ride but it was unrealistic for fans to expect the ride to continue. And if it had, it probably would have been 'bad for women's college basketball'!!! :eek::cool::)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She was a RS junior this past season.

She played 2 years at Gardner-Webb, sat out a transfer year, and then was a RS junior at Murray St this year. She'll be a RS senior at UConn next year.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
She was a RS junior this past season.

She played 2 years at Gardner-Webb, sat out a transfer year, and then was a RS junior at Murray St this year. She'll be a RS senior at UConn next year.

Thank you, Plebe. Saw the redshirt Junior part and totally missed the fact that was her profile from this past season.

Reaction Score
I imagine any team playing Murray State would have keyed in on Evelyn. What can she do if she isn't the focus of the defense?

View attachment 42872

she played a heck of a lot of minutes to get those points............can't tell if most of then were off of simple in close shots or her mid range game................I guess we will find out in time.................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
she played a heck of a lot of minutes to get those points..can't tell if most of then were off of simple in close shots or her mid range game......I guess we will find out in time.......
It's not rocket science. You just have to go to the Racers website to look at the stats. Evelyn took 89 threes, hitting 32 for a respectable 36%. She also shot 172 ft's hitting 78%. Finally, if you watch the video near the beginning of this thread, you will see that Evelyn has an incredible array of post moves, fall away jumpers, hook shots, and so on that will remind you just a little of another low post player at UConn that will graduate in the coming weeks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I’m sure @EricLA will come at me with the Debbie Downer graphic, but we still need to keep in mind that Evelyn put up those averages in the OVC. She had great games against Tennessee and Kentucky and I have no doubt she’s going to make a difference, but when she’s not averaging a double-double next February, I’m going to be annoyed with the twelve threads about how overhyped she was.

Remember, y’all are creating this hype.
Not sure where you think the "hype" is coming from. Aside from ONO, a hobbled Batouly, and Irwin, Adebayo is now probably the only consistent option to spell ONO in the post. I will be honest - I've not "detectived" the thread to see who's predicting double-doubles, but I don't even see her as a starter. I see Makurat as the starter with Evelyn off the bench for any post help needed.

Time will tell of course, but what's not to like about a kid who averaged 20+ against 2 solid SEC teams? I think it's pretty clear Evelyn was the best player on her team so likely she was going to receive the most intense defensive attention. And still she put up great numbers. She's a great addition and will provide some much needed healthy depth in the post...

I'm thrilled we got her. I expect her to contribute. How much remains to be seen. :)

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Not sure where you think the "hype" is coming from. Aside from ONO, a hobbled Batouly, and Irwin, Adebayo is now probably the only consistent option to spell ONO in the post. I will be honest - I've not "detectived" the thread to see who's predicting double-doubles, but I don't even see her as a starter. I see Makurat as the starter with Evelyn off the bench for any post help needed.

Time will tell of course, but what's not to like about a kid who averaged 20+ against 2 solid SEC teams? I thnk it'si pretty clear Evelyn was the best player on her team so likely she was goign to receive the most intense defensive attention. And still she put up great numbers. She's a great addition and will provide some much needed healthy depth in the post...

I'm thrilled we got her. I expect her to contribute. How much remains to be seen. :)

Some folks have compared her to Phee, and considering Rebecca Lobo was the last player to do that until Phee came along, I’d say that’s a little undue hype.

I think a physical forward like her is a very welcome addition. I agree that she’ll get quality playing time and make a difference for the team; I’m just emotionally preparing for the resident Chicken Littles to post thread after thread saying she was a bust when she isn’t averaging a double double like she was at Murray State last season.

I was joking you’d call a Debbie Downer for suggesting people slow down. I guess my post needed a few more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .

Reaction Score
Starting five is now set, CD, CW3, ONO, Megatron, and Evelyn, with either Camara or Ania first off the bench depending on the situation. Then add in Audrey, Kyla, and Molly. I predict that we will not lose any Conference games and be very challenging in every game. Guess Geno gets his 13th straight final four and maybe #12.

Reaction Score
Some folks have compared her to Phee, and considering Rebecca Lobo was the last player to do that until Phee came along, I’d say that’s a little undue hype.

I think a physical forward like her is a very welcome addition. I agree that she’ll get quality playing time and make a difference for the team; I’m just emotionally preparing for the resident Chicken Littles to post thread after thread saying she was a bust when she isn’t averaging a double double like she was at Murray State last season.

I was joking you’d call a Debbie Downer for suggesting people slow down. I guess my post needed a few more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .

if she's playing a lot I'd be very happy with 12/7 average.........

Reaction Score
I liken her to Jamelle Elliott a little... Undersized crashing the boards... Loved her rugged style in the paint.. Evelyn looks like she has a little bit more to her offensive game though
That would get an A+ from me.

Reaction Score
I think the primary 'difference' for Geno over the past 5 years is the much greater competition for his 'type' of players - MsSt, SC, Oregon schools specifically, but also ND which for most of the decade 2001 to 2010 wasn't much to write about. And those are just the headliners.

He has recruited players he likes but whose skills are a step down from elite, and with this past year's misses he also took a look farther afield (Europe.)

People also have to realize that NCs are not easy - without DT he would have two fewer, without Maya or without Tina he would likely have two fewer, and without Stewie he likely has 4 fewer. Each of those 4 players was irreplaceable and there just aren't that many of those type players available. At this moment he doesn't have one of those players and didn't have one for the last three years even while he had a lot of talent. Because he didn't have one of those players, winning an NC would have required some luck and the luck didn't get them further than a FF berth (nothing to sneeze at!!!)

Being spoiled by Stewie and her classmates was a wonderful ride but it was unrealistic for fans to expect the ride to continue. And if it had, it probably would have been 'bad for women's college basketball'!!! :eek::cool::)
[/QUOTE
People have to stop with the what ifs. If that's the case Tennessee would have 5 if they didn't have Chamique Holdsclaw or B

People have to stop with the what if's. If that's the case Tennessee would of had 5 if they didn't have Chamique Holdsclaw or Baylor and ND with just 1 if they didn't have Brittney Griner and Arike Ogunbowale

Reaction Score
I think she is a little on the heavy side and needs to improve on speed to excel at UConn. Geno must see something in her that we dont she can play in the AAC because this conference is getting better and better each year with some athletic woman. I cant just go by highlights

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom