Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I like how she ripped the RB away from the player (about :25 seconds in) and that she is NOT afraid of contact. The fact she shot 78% on free throws is a bonus :cool: as is 36% from the perimeter

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I like the pickup a lot, but based on the photo standing next to Geno, she does not appear to be 6-1. The good news is pretty much all the players have their height exaggerated.
That day Geno was wearing his high heels. :rolleyes::)

Reaction Score
After watching the video, she seems to have some Gabby in her passing, some Lou in her 3 pt shooting, and a lot of Pheesa in her drop back shot around the basket. I believe that she will be a welcome addition to the 2019-20 season. Hopefully she can help the seniors get their NC.

Watching the video, Willnett Crockett comes to mind. Regardless, welcome Evelyn...now can I finally say we have the right amount of players to "practice"? :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The player that came to my mind watching the highlights was Chantel Osahor - body type and post moves and three point shot.

She is shorter and faster but she will likely be one of the slowest on the Uconn team at least at the start of practice. We'll see how she fares in the endurance trials that are Uconn WBB as the season wears on.

She does appear to have a really good court sense, good handle and very good footwork. Definitely excited to see what she brings to the team.

Reaction Score
Five out of 10 players will be seniors. Bringing in five Freshmen to replace them is not the way to build for the future. I’m thinking two transfers who can play in 20-21 is almost imperative; three Freshmen who can impact is much more realistic.

Reaction Score
This is fascinating. In 22 years following UConn WCBB, I've never seen Coach Geno make moves like this. I don't recall Coach Geno having more than one European player before, and that player resulted in a successful but strained relationship- Svetlana Abrosimova. But now he has recruited three European players at once.

And I don't recall his ever having accepted a "graduate transfer." He's only accepted a few transfers before, and those quite recently Batouly Camara, Stephens, and one more. He took Brittany Hunter, because he had recruited her, and she asked to come after severe injuries at Duke.

He's making moves that are unprecedented, and he's doing them all at once. I am shocked to see Coach Geno change his style so much more than three decades into being a Hall of Fame coach. Clearly he is not going to let his Final Four streak go into the crapper without a major fight. He's setting an example for his team: when the chips are down, fight like heck!!

A couple of these moves could result in subsequent changes, however. Anna could decide to go pro well before her four years of eligibility are up. She actually has been an unpaid pro for the past two years at least. And the grad transfer is only good for a year.

This is the busiest and most bizarre recruiting season in UConn history. Mind-blowing!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm a "Debbie Downer" because I feel we should pump the brakes on comparing a grad transfer from Murray State to one of the 10 greatest players to ever play at UConn?
No one made that comparison. That was your interpretation of a comment I made suggesting that Pheesa & Evelyn we’re both double double machines this past year, which is true. Beyond that comment, I suggested that Evelyn has the ability to replace a lot of Pheesa’s production on the court, which remains to be seen, but I feel reasonably confident is also true. The one thing I am reasonably certain of is that Geno believes that Evelyn can replace a lot of Pheesa’s production on the court, which is exactly why he recruited her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm a "Debbie Downer" because I feel we should pump the brakes on comparing a grad transfer from Murray State to one of the 10 greatest players to ever play at UConn?
You could just let people enjoy the fact the Huskies aren't stuck playing with a roster of 8 next season without comment. Not every thought needs to be expressed, you know

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Evelyn!! UConn Nation welcomes you!! Coach Geno and staff are working their magic. This will be another fun and amazing year. Looking forward to watching Anna, Aubrey and Evelyn play. #UConnnumber1fan!!#BleedBlue!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is fascinating. In 22 years following UConn WCBB, I've never seen Coach Geno make moves like this. I don't recall Coach Geno having more than one European player before, and that player resulted in a successful but strained relationship- Svetlana Abrosimova. But now he has recruited three European players at once.

And I don't recall his ever having accepted a "graduate transfer." He's only accepted a few transfers before, and those quite recently Batouly Camara, Stephens, and one more. He took Brittany Hunter, because he had recruited her, and she asked to come after severe injuries at Duke.

He's making moves that are unprecedented, and he's doing them all at once. I am shocked to see Coach Geno change his style so much more than three decades into being a Hall of Fame coach. Clearly he is not going to let his Final Four streak go into the crapper without a major fight. He's setting an example for his team: when the chips are down, fight like heck!!

A couple of these moves could result in subsequent changes, however. Anna could decide to go pro well before her four years of eligibility are up. She actually has been an unpaid pro for the past two years at least. And the grad transfer is only good for a year.

This is the busiest and most bizarre recruiting season in UConn history. Mind-blowing!
WBB is changing and Geno is doing what he’s done his entire basketball career. He’s watched what everyone else has done relative to transfers and foreign born players and he is adapting it and changing it to make it his own. He was a little late to the party, but in the end he will figure it out and beat everyone at this game.

Reaction Score
Just need to not let our hopes get carried away here. Look at the assists and turnovers. Not a lot of assists, maybe not a passer, or maybe no good shooting players to pass to. On the turnovers maybe no one got open to help her out but maybe ..... Lets take out time here. See how it all pans out. The shooting is not great, but we need defense and rebounding. Those she may have.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He's making moves that are unprecedented, and he's doing them all at once. I am shocked to see Coach Geno change his style so much more than three decades into being a Hall of Fame coach.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Maybe "desperate" is too strong here, but certainly exigent.

As Kim Mulkey said, coaches can either embrace and adapt to the new landscape or surely get left behind. She was talking specifically about transfers, but the internationalization of the recruiting landscape is similarly not to be denied.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just need to not let our hopes get carried away here. Look at the assists and turnovers. Not a lot of assists, maybe not a passer, or maybe no good shooting players to pass to. On the turnovers maybe no one got open to help her out but maybe ..... Lets take out time here. See how it all pans out. The shooting is not great, but we need defense and rebounding. Those she may have.
She was the best player on a losing team. Against three P5 teams, 2 of which made it to the Big Dance, she averaged 24 & 9. That’s not chopped liver.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the really interesting aspects to Evelyn's signing is that outside of a very few UConn WBB insiders (and they weren't talking) nobody saw this coming. Did anyone know this young lady had visited UConn's campus, or had even heard of her? So we all have to ask, what other potential transfers have been spirited in and out of Storrs without detection by the BY's cadre of super sleuths?

There are a lot of attributes concerning Geno's program. One of them is it doesn't leak. It's air tight!!! ;)
Whatever is discussed or disclosed in his office stays there.

I commented last week that Geno was not done. I suggested that he and his staff were working diligently on a few players for next year. I believe (no promises or guarantees here, just a gut feeling) with every fiber of my being there will be an announcement in the next 2-3 weeks that he has secured a BIG for the upcoming season. I also expect Evina Westbrook to make a bombshell announcement by commenting to UConn as well. Today was a good day!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well if nothing else from the video she can get up and down the court so she will definitely help in transition.

I tend to temper my expectations of what the season will be like until games are being played, but things are definitely looking up. This is why the "To Early Top 25" articles are so absurd.

Agreed!! The rosters are not complete yet. Let's wait until everyone has closed their recruiting for the year, then we can critique each team and make intelligent assessments and predictions going forward. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like how she ripped the RB away from the player (about :25 seconds in) and that she is NOT afraid of contact. The fact she shot 78% on free throws is a bonus :cool: as is 36% from the perimeter

View attachment 42863

Another note no one has picked up on..........................She played in every game (she's durable) for Murray State last season averaging 35 mpg. She only fouled out of ONE game. That means she can stay on the floor and play with "alligator arms" when she has to. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes.

It's like you don't know us at all.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The player that came to my mind watching the highlights was Chantel Osahor - body type and post moves and three point shot.

She is shorter and faster but she will likely be one of the slowest on the Uconn team at least at the start of practice. We'll see how she fares in the endurance trials that are Uconn WBB as the season wears on.

She does appear to have a really good court sense, good handle and very good footwork. Definitely excited to see what she brings to the team.

Normally I agree with 98% of your posts. Gotta disagree with you here. I don't beleive her body type is similar to that of Osahor's. Look at the picture on her twitter announcement. Look at the one of her sitting on the stairs (with her "UConn Nation" tee-shirt on, a current picture). She is svelte. Osahor was "slightly" rotund in stature. BTW, I like Osahor. It was fun to watch her play. :cool:

Chantel Osahor

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom