Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Not even four minutes into this. And while I was skeptical for about, oh, say 25 seconds, it became increasingly clear: this is a game changer. AE is already a capable open floor dribbler who can go the length of the floor. She can also drive and score, post up and score, and apparently hit the outside shot. Physical, and with good court sense. She'll mesh beautifully with Liv, Crystal, Megan and CW. Under Geno and the UConn system, she could very well be a double double threat every single game. This basically gives us 5 players on the floor every game, each of whom is capable of having a big night on offense. While the usual questions about defense will abound, I have absolutely no doubt that this team will make its presence felt early in the season and will quickly dispel any notion that this will be an "off" year. Final four material, most definitely (barring the usual).

Finally!

OK. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?! :rolleyes:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Geez I am heading out of town this weekend. Almost afraid to now. Afraid I will miss another commitment. :eek::D

Welcome Ms Adebayo. Being from London, I do hope she's an Arsenal fan. :rolleyes:
Oh well,sorry to say this to you,but I hope she is a Manchester United fan,lmao

Reaction Score
A grad transfer that can help us right now!! A quick look at her stats shows that she is a double double producer. The flood gates are open. Oh what a relief it is!! When I logged on just now, this is the kind of post I was hoping to see. Thanks Cat. :)
Moan groan moan groan. When will Geno turn off the spigot!! Will Recruits never stop coming into UConn. This is getting serious--how does he justify 20 players on this team?? Groan, Moan, Groan
I liked it better when Uconn had No one coming in--now close the flood gates. Damn! What can I complain about now. Oh , yea Geno's hair!!

Reaction Score
Starting five is now set, CD, CW3, ONO, Megatron, and Evelyn, with either Camara or Ania first off the bench depending on the situation. Then add in Audrey, Kyla, and Molly. I predict that we will not lose any Conference games and be very challenging in every game. Guess Geno gets his 13th straight final four and maybe #12.
But when will all this STOP!!

Reaction Score
There are a lot of attributes concerning Geno's program. One of them is it doesn't leak. It's air tight!!! ;)
I commented last week that Geno was not done. I suggested that he and his staff were working diligently on a few players for next year. I believe (no promises or guarantees, just a gut feeling) with every fiber of my being there will be an announcement in the next 3 weeks that he has secured a BIG for the upcoming season. I also expect Evina Westbrook to announce her commitment to UConn as well. Today was a good day!! :)

Well Scoop, any man who is willing to put his gut and fibers on the table is someone to be taken seriously!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. -- The UConn women's basketball team has added Evelyn Adebayo, a graduate transfer from Murray State, to its roster for next season.

Adebayo had 19 double-doubles last season and averaged 18.2 points and 11.4 rebounds for the Racers.

Adebayo transfers from Murray State to UConn

OK, here we go. I think it's a fair statement to say that UConn is in a much better place today than it was last week.............and Geno is not done yet. The word "bumper crop" (an unusually productive harvest) keeps coming to mind lately. :) I love it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I’m sure @EricLA will come at me with the Debbie Downer graphic, but we still need to keep in mind that Evelyn put up those averages in the OVC. She had great games against Tennessee and Kentucky and I have no doubt she’s going to make a difference, but when she’s not averaging a double-double next February, I’m going to be annoyed with the twelve threads about how overhyped she was.

Remember, y’all are creating this hype.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does anyone know whether or not we’re getting a Geno Auriemma show in 2019/2020? I really want to hear his take on this off-season and recruiting class.

I'm pretty sure he'll do a radio interview show with Bob Joyce sometime in October. No doubt one of the items talked about will be the acquisition of the new players for this year, and what he is expecting from each one. Someone will post that interview here in the yard when it becomes available. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m sure @EricLA will come at me with the Debbie Downer graphic, but we still need to keep in mind that Evelyn put up those averages in the OVC. She had great games against Tennessee and Kentucky and I have no doubt she’s going to make a difference, but when she’s not averaging a double-double next February, I’m going to be annoyed with the twelve threads about how overhyped she was.

C'mon Argonaut, don't be a salmon. Turn around and swim down stream with the rest of us. Go with the flow man. :)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
C'mon Argonaut, don't be a salmon. Turn around and swim down stream with the rest of us. Go with the flow man. :)

If she is averaging a double double, feel free to smoke me and I’ll have the admins change my name to Lox for all of next off-season. ;)

Reaction Score
This is fascinating. In 22 years following UConn WCBB, I've never seen Coach Geno make moves like this. I don't recall Coach Geno having more than one European player before, and that player resulted in a successful but strained relationship- Svetlana Abrosimova. But now he has recruited three European players at once.

And I don't recall his ever having accepted a "graduate transfer." He's only accepted a few transfers before, and those quite recently Batouly Camara, Stephens, and one more. He took Brittany Hunter, because he had recruited her, and she asked to come after severe injuries at Duke.

He's making moves that are unprecedented, and he's doing them all at once. I am shocked to see Coach Geno change his style so much more than three decades into being a Hall of Fame coach. Clearly he is not going to let his Final Four streak go into the crapper without a major fight. He's setting an example for his team: when the chips are down, fight like heck!!

A couple of these moves could result in subsequent changes, however. Anna could decide to go pro well before her four years of eligibility are up. She actually has been an unpaid pro for the past two years at least. And the grad transfer is only good for a year.

This is the busiest and most bizarre recruiting season in UConn history. Mind-blowing!

Geno must have been reading the Boneyard, some here have suggested that he should change his ways on doing business. By golly he's doing it. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno must have been reading the Boneyard, some here have suggested that he should change his ways on doing business. By golly he's doing it. :D

When plan A doesn't work out as planned, you go with plan B. ;)
I've often wondered if Geno visits the BY when he's bored and needs a few laughs. :D

Reaction Score

Yeah but don't forget UConn also plays in the AAC. ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
not sure how much of a scorer she will be in the UConn system but Evelyn certainly is a valuable addition as a rebounder and defender.....if there are no other recruits up front, hopefully she can team up with Camara to give UConn a consistent physical court presence
And let Walkrr play her natural small forward position. I think she and ONO will benefit the most from another strong rebounder.

Reaction Score
You could just let people enjoy the fact the Huskies aren't stuck playing with a roster of 8 next season without comment. Not every thought needs to be expressed, you know

Well, since the loss I have read every thought possible about the horrid 8 man roster. Now I have to read every over-the-top prediction for the newbies. And when someone with whom I agree adds some sanity to the discussion you try and censor him?

I'm all for enjoyment but the recruiting threads have been a trail of tears here until 31 days ago. Suddenly a transfer from Morehead St and/or a guard from Poland neither of whom who I'd wager were know by 5 posters on Jan 1 is/are assumed to be a starter? That's way beyond "enjoying the moment" It's bi-polar!!!

Those that were wringing their hands over a possible roster of 8 were a small but active group. I wasn't concerned. UConn won a title (undefeated?) with 8. Not optimum but doable. Geno wasn't concerned. Just a handful of posters here and a few haters on other boards who thought UConn was wounded. Now the other group has arrived. All we have for the 2 Euros are a few interviews, some videos and a few reports from persons who may or may not be hyping things. It's fine to be hopeful. I trust that the coaches know their jobs. But some here see the 2 newbies from Europe as if they were Valkyries, charging over the Atlantic on their magical horses to save UConn from certain doom. Me? I'll be thrilled if the 3 newcomers can manage 50 minutes/game and 25/20/10 between them.

I for one never wrote off the 2020 season or the 2020 roster. Even with 8. UConn has been to 12 or so straight final fours and during those years I'd guess that 20+ AA's have left. There is no cause/effect here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
that player resulted in a successful but strained relationship- Svetlana Abrosimova.
Geno and Sveta had this shtich going between them and Sveta had a look that could kill, but I know of no "strained relationship". The Iron Russian cried as she hugged Geno on Senior Night and she stayed on as a graduate assistant for a time. Today Geno and Sveta have a tight bond and she goes out of her way to show up on visits.

"Do you still keep up with UConn women’s basketball?
“Yes, I try to come to Final Fours as much as possible and since we’re so good, we always make the Final Four, so it’s easy to schedule. I talk to Coach [Geno] Auriemma a lot. I work with a Russian national team right now; I’m the general manager for the team so I’m following USA Basketball and UConn players who will make USA Basketball. It’s just amazing how one program can have all these star players, and every year they just come out and they perform at the best level always. The more years pass, the more I’m impressed by them.”

Catching Up With Former UConn Star Svetlana Abrosimova

Notice Sveta is using the 'we" word. Some, such as Z, start using the "they" word referring to UConn 15 seconds after they finish their last game.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hey Murray State is in Kentucky, and their nickname is the Racers, with a thoroughbred horse as their logo. Any idea who she likes in the Kentucky Derby this weekend? I could use a few extra bucks. :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and Sveta had this shtich going between them and Sveta had a look that could kill, but I know of no "strained relationship". The Iron Russian cried as she hugged Geno on Senior Night and she stayed on as a graduate assistant for a time. Today Geno and Sveta have a tight bond and she goes out of her way to show up on visits.

Svetlana flew from Russia to Albany to attend UConn's Elite 8 game against Louisville. Yeah, that relationship is strained. The amount of nonsense posted on this board is mind-blowing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Svetlana flew from Russia to Albany to attend UConn's Elite 8 game against Louisville. Yeah, that relationship is strained. The amount of nonsense posted on this board is mind-blowing.

I think it is important not to let misinformation take root. Yes, and she said she could not go to Tampa, but she managed that too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think it is important not to let misinformation take root. Yes, and she said she could not go to Tampa, but she managed that too.
Her transition to English was amazing. Supposedly she spoke little or no English when she arrived at UConn. A year later she was joking in English, not that easy in a new language. They say up to age 12 is watershed age for easily learning a new language. She was a quick study.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, our grad transfer likes to be known as Eveee. I'm sure Geno will quickly turn into a Pheesa type expletive!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom