Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Starting five is now set, CD, CW3, ONO, Megatron, and Evelyn, with either Camara or Ania first off the bench depending on the situation. Then add in Audrey, Kyla, and Molly. I predict that we will not lose any Conference games and be very challenging in every game. Guess Geno gets his 13th straight final four and maybe #12.

Reaction Score
No .. starting five is not set .. I expect Ania and Aubrey to start based on what I have seen, eh?

Reaction Score
She plays big, does it, mater, if she is 6' or 6'1"
UConn hs had some bangers in the past that weren't that tall but big bodied and tough as nails that rebounded well and were key elements to their respective teams successes. Obviously, we hope that this is another instance of us picking up somebody that fits that narrative!

Reaction Score
After watching the video, she seems to have some Gabby in her passing, some Lou in her 3 pt shooting, and a lot of Pheesa in her drop back shot around the basket. I believe that she will be a welcome addition to the 2019-20 season. Hopefully she can help the seniors get their NC.

Reaction Score
Watching the video, Willnett Crockett comes to mind. Regardless, welcome Evelyn...now can I finally say we have the right amount of players to "practice"? :rolleyes:
Thanks for mentioning Wilnett Crockett .... she reminds me of Wilnet, as well but I couldn't remember her name .... hope she contributes at least as much as Ms. Crockett did in her time as a Huskie.

Reaction Score
Geno must have been reading the Boneyard, some here have suggested that he should change his ways on doing business. By golly he's doing it. :D
Fairfield Fan already planting seeds that Anna won't stay for the duration???? Might be a little premature to start that type of dialogue????? Without knowing anything about her, how could you possibly speculate on something like that!!!!

Reaction Score
Great point. It’s the importance of having megatron paying the 3 a more natural position and less of the need to bang and rebound against bigger players. With Liv and Megan and now Evelyn it will be a decent size. CW can rebound for a guard as well. If BatCam is healthy I think we’re ok but not great. Another big preferably 6’3” or so would be helpful for the teams with bigger lineups
Obviously, we're talking about a talented 6'3" or more big ..... a skilled one .... size along means very little against the type of elite teams that UConn will compete against in the Fall .......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Despite being a glorified mid major, the AAC is like the WNBA compared to the Ohio Valley Conference!
Look, it’s not like top 6-5 players are hanging around waiting for Geno to bring them to UConn.

Geno had some needs in mind, one need is simply big bodies to fill out the roster. I imagine another would be someone who doesn’t mind banging in the paint and who can contribute some points and rebounds. Napheesa, for all her mastery of the paint, was not a banger or an enforcer. The Huskies got pushed around a lot last season and they needed a big girl to go into the paint and let the other team know that we f they get too physical, well, two can play that game. As a senior, Evelyn will have an idea what’s within the rules.

I don’t care if Evelyn isn’t Napheesa. I’d be thrilled with a Jamelle or a Stacy Hansmeyer. If Evelyn can add 10/7, I’m a happy fan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While many of us have compared Evelyn to Pheesa, the player who’s production she will be expected to replace to some extent, I think Geno had another player in mind when he recruited Evelyn. That would be Tuck. I’m not suggesting that Evelyn & Tuck are at the same level, but there are strong similarities in their game.

Like Tuck, Evelyn has a strong frame and is capable of bodying up much taller players in the paint. Also like Tuck, Evelyn appears to have really good footwork, an array of offensive moves in the post and she can step out and knock down the 3.

If Evelyn comes anywhere close to providing the production that Tuck did, she will prove to be a great addition for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Moan groan moan groan. When will Geno turn off the spigot!! Will Recruits never stop coming into UConn. This is getting serious--how does he justify 20 players on this team?? Groan, Moan, Groan
I liked it better when Uconn had No one coming in--now close the flood gates. Damn! What can I complain about now. Oh , yea Geno's hair!!

Complain about Geno’s hair! That will get you banned from the Boneyard. Some things are sacred.

Reaction Score
Look, it’s not like top 6-5 players are hanging around waiting for Geno to bring them to UConn.

Geno had some needs in mind, one need is simply big bodies to fill out the roster. I imagine another would be someone who doesn’t mind banging in the paint and who can contribute some points and rebounds. Napheesa, for all her mastery of the paint, was not a banger or an enforcer. The Huskies got pushed around a lot last season and they needed a big girl to go into the paint and let the other team know that we f they get too physical, well, two can play that game. As a senior, Evelyn will have an idea what’s within the rules.

I don’t care if Evelyn isn’t Napheesa. I’d be thrilled with a Jamelle or a Stacy Hansmeyer. If Evelyn can add 10/7, I’m a happy fan.

As am I, let's just be realistic with our expectations and comparisons. Frankly, it's not fair to Evelyn, and disrespectful to Pheesa, a 3x All American and one of the 10 greatest players ever at UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In thinking about why we may have had some issues with our recruiting success and why I don't think this will happen next year or after is that I think there was a very big talent and reputation gap among the starters and the bench. Our starters had multiple AA and near AA all over and I think that could lead to a very big confidence hit among the newbies. That quickly leads to being ultra passive and more than willing to give the ball up to a much better option. It takes a lot of internal confidence to fight through that.

I think the situation has changed alot. Our top players are very good to be sure with the potential to be great but it has not happened yet led to HOH level. The newcomers will not feel as intimidated and will not be as passive and acquiesce. They will not be competing against 'gods'.

Just my pop psychology.

Reaction Score

It is asinine for any fan to think Geno just plucks a 6 6 or 4 1 anytime he wants. This is at least a 2 was street.
Too early to compare any one to anyone. Let us get 4 games into the season then compare.
My opinion, a bad as it is, IS: Napheesa, Precious, Collier is a singular player, unique in what she did for her size. She was not a body up power player. What she did, considering her frame and height was totally amazing. No one compares to her.
If our latest Grad Transfer Evelyn can use muscle with talent along side of ONO or subbing at times for ONO that will be a plus plus plus.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As am I, let's just be realistic with our expectations and comparisons. Frankly, it's not fair to Evelyn, and disrespectful to Pheesa, a 3x All American and one of the 10 greatest players ever at UConn.
Why? It’s a fan forum, let people enjoy themselves. We had enough wet blankets during the season; people want to revel in some good new

Reaction Score
While many of us have compared Evelyn to Pheesa, the player who’s production she will be expected to replace to some extent, I think Geno had another player in mind when he recruited Evelyn. That would be Tuck. I’m not suggesting that Evelyn & Tuck are at the same level, but there are strong similarities in their game.

Like Tuck, Evelyn has a strong frame and is capable of bodying up much taller players in the paint. Also like Tuck, Evelyn appears to have really good footwork, an array of offensive moves in the post and she can step out and knock down the 3.

If Evelyn comes anywhere close to providing the production that Tuck did, she will prove to be a great addition for the Huskies.
You are usually right, and I won't argue you are wrong here.
I just don't think Geno thinks---this is a new Tuck or Stew or DT or Sue or Steff or J. Moore. As a coach he see's a need and a position. How will she help in that position. Will she be a plus on Offense or on Defense or both.

No disrespect.. But I think it would be less than intelligent for Geno to say she's a Tuck, but she lack this or that, or she's a tuck and does this better. I don't think that was his thoughts as he looked at her before he ALLOWED her to transfer into Uconn. Remember, this was a GENO's choice not a must take Uconn needed a post player, but was she this one??

Again, this is just me being emotional me. No one compares to Napheesa, no one. For Precious's size, girth, weight she was amazing against bigger taller players. She was mobile and accurate. So accurate a USA coach called her a ROBOT. Do I impress you will my caring and missing not the player Phee was, but the person she is. No one is Naphesa Collier but herself.

Reaction Score
In thinking about why we may have had some issues with our recruiting success and why I don't think this will happen next year or after is that I think there was a very big talent and reputation gap among the starters and the bench. Our starters had multiple AA and near AA all over and I think that could lead to a very big confidence hit among the newbies. That quickly leads to being ultra passive and more than willing to give the ball up to a much better option. It takes a lot of internal confidence to fight through that.

I think the situation has changed alot. Our top players are very good to be sure with the potential to be great but it has not happened yet led to HOH level. The newcomers will not feel as intimidated and will not be as passive and acquiesce. They will not be competing against 'gods'.

Just my pop psychology.
Your point is well made, and probably accurate. Nearly every class, except these past 3 years, has had top talent and walkon's/bench sitters. That wasn't new. Players like Bent and Irwin did exactly what Geno thought they would do as he recruited them. Nice kids easy to get along with, does what they are told. If they develop into top talent, so much the better, but no expected.
The overflowing new influx of talent is a plus and a negative. They ARE needed and the apparent talent is significant, apparently.
The next question is how this influx of new talent will playout in the recruiting scene.
Oh, I don't know--Gods ? CW, Danger, Walker, Ono --these are top players that have competed against the Best and beat most of them. Isn't that the typical Uconn WBB God?? None of the incoming have been where our core 6 have been and Danger has been there 3 times Walker twice, ONO and CW once. Many NEVER get there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Your point is well made, and probably accurate. Nearly every class, except these past 3 years, has had top talent and walkon's/bench sitters. That wasn't new. Players like Bent and Irwin did exactly what Geno thought they would do as he recruited them. Nice kids easy to get along with, does what they are told. If they develop into top talent, so much the better, but no expected.
The overflowing new influx of talent is a plus and a negative. They ARE needed and the apparent talent is significant, apparently.
The next question is how this influx of new talent will playout in the recruiting scene.
Oh, I don't know--Gods ? CW, Danger, Walker, Ono --these are top players that have competed against the Best and beat most of them. Isn't that the typical Uconn WBB God?? None of the incoming have been where our core 6 have been and Danger has been there 3 times Walker twice, ONO and CW once. Many NEVER get there.

Still, our current top tier have not gotten the multiple AA (yet) etc so I think they appear more mortal to our newcomers.

Reaction Score
Still, our current top tier have not gotten the multiple AA (yet) etc so I think they appear more mortal to our newcomers.
Obviously, you are right. That just isn't my measuring stick. Elite 8 and beyond to me for a team is significant. How someone outside of the program judges them is frosting on the cake if AA's are given.
DT Sue Swin Maya Stew, Rene, Barbara Turner, Maria, Phee Lou would have been my hero's without an AA on their sleeve.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

She doesn't have Pheesa's direct line speed down the court, but her balance, quickness, and array of moves in the lane put her in Tuck's company, and superior to Azura's. I think Ono can learn from her.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
WBB is changing and Geno is doing what he’s done his entire basketball career. He’s watched what everyone else has done relative to transfers and foreign born players and he is adapting it and changing it to make it his own. He was a little late to the party, but in the end he will figure it out and beat everyone at this game.
Great post. The genius of Geno. Observe, learn, adapt = Championship basketball.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another past player that might be mentioned as an analog to "Evie" is Kaili McLaren. Despite mobility limitations far greater than Evelyn's appear to be, she provided muscle on the boards and was capable of letting Tina Charles spend a few minutes on the bench when necessary. You may recall that the LSU coach thought that she was the difference in a couple of games against his team.

I'd be happy if Evelyn in her one season is as productive as Kaili was in her junior and senior years. Hopefully Geno won't have to play a zone just to accommodate Evelyn (as he often did with ONO this past year, and as he always did with Kaili).

Reaction Score
She doesn't have Pheesa's direct line speed down the court, but her balance, quickness, and array of moves in the lane put her in Tuck's company, and superior to Azura's. I think Ono can learn from her.
When given minutes, Z at times was dominate against Top teams. Hope you are right about "E." Minimal sample size against top talent to make any projections.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom