Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Another past player that might be mentioned as an analog to "Evie" is Kaili McLaren. Despite mobility limitations far greater than Evelyn's appear to be, she provided muscle on the boards and was capable of letting Tina Charles spend a few minutes on the bench when necessary. You may recall that the LSU coach thought that she was the difference in a couple of games against his team.

I'd be happy if Evelyn in her one season is as productive as Kaili was in her junior and senior years. Hopefully Geno won't have to play a zone just to accommodate Evelyn (as he often did with ONO this past year, and as he always did with Kaili).

Now this is a comparison I can get behind! McLaren averaged 4pts and 3rbs her senior season, I can see Adebayo having a slightly better year than that in the 7pts 5rbs range.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I ask from the bench players is that when they come in, they look like they believe they should be on the court and pose a threat on the offensive side of the ball. For reasons I have already outlined in other posts, I think our new guys will fit right in on that front.

Defense in the end is mainly effort.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can all agree to use a term like a new player has a style of play similar to a past UConn player to give folks an idea of their playing style. Whenever I personally compare a new or potential player to a previous player, it isn't about that they are equal in skill as it is about their style of play and how they might fit in to the UConn offense/defense scheme.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe we can all agree to use a term like a new player has a style of play similar to a past UConn player to give folks an idea of their playing style. Whenever I personally compare a new or potential player to a previous player, it isn't about that they are equal in skill as it is about their style of play and how they might fit in to the UConn offense/defense scheme.
You are correct and that is the intent of many BY’ers including me. However, there appears to be a subset of BY’ers that “knee jerk” to any type of comparison between a recruit and a former UConn great because it’s much easier to completely reject any comparison than it is to carefully analyze the relative abilities of two different players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What Rick Reeves remembers most about Evelyn Adebayo isn’t just what she did on the basketball court in two seasons at Gardner-Webb.

It’s how she told him she was leaving.

“Her last day there, I was out of town recruiting. She left a letter for me in my office, slid it underneath the door. One of the nicest letters I’ve ever gotten from a kid,” Reeves recalled Friday by phone. “Sometimes circumstances happen, and people need a new start.”

“She’s a very skilled player, can score inside and outside, and has a lot of potential,” Reeves said of Adebayo. “I’ve had a lot of admiration for Geno (Auriemma) as a coach, and I like him as a person. She’ll kind of fit in to his high-post offense because she can shoot it and she can put the ball on the floor. She’s got a lot of potential and a lot of versatility.”

“She has a scorer’s mentality,” Reeves said. “She wants to score.”

“I knew she had a good heart, but the fact that she expressed herself in that letter, just thanking me for bringing her to the United States, giving her an opportunity,” Reeves said, “she’s a great kid.”

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
What Rick Reeves remembers most about Evelyn Adebayo isn’t just what she did on the basketball court in two seasons at Gardner-Webb.

“Her last day there, I was out of town recruiting. She left a letter for me in my office, slid it underneath the door. One of the nicest letters I’ve ever gotten from a kid,” Reeves recalled Friday by phone. “Sometimes circumstances happen, and people need a new start.”

“She’s a very skilled player, can score inside and outside, and has a lot of potential,” Reeves said of Adebayo. “I’ve had a lot of admiration for Geno (Auriemma) as a coach, and I like him as a person. She’ll kind of fit in to his high-post offense because she can shoot it and she can put the ball on the floor. She’s got a lot of potential and a lot of versatility.”

“I knew she had a good heart, but the fact that she expressed herself in that letter, just thanking me for bringing her to the United States, giving her an opportunity,” Reeves said, “she’s a great kid.”

It may be because I’m doped up on Benadryl, but that made me tear up a little bit. I love when good kids get recognized for just being good kids.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If anyone has doubts about Adebayo’s maturity and potential, they need to read this post. These comments coming from a former coach that knows her well, and knows exactly what she’s capable of.

Do you remember how the late Buddy Ryan (Feb 1934-June 2016) greeted the media upon his arrival in Arizona? He was hired by the Cardinals in 1994 and in his introductory press conference, he boldly announced, “You’ve got a winner in town.” I think that can be said about Evie. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We needed a one year wonder and we may not have gotten Superwomen and we didnt get Alice in Wonderland either but we are far better off then we were a month ago. For next season we needed reinforcements and we have two so far in Anna and Evelyn and both have good experience. They should both see playtime next season along with Griffin. I still think we get another one or two players for up coming season. Typically Geno recruits replacements for starters every two years. For example Onos replacement in the middle will be either this season or next.

Our future looks bright with Paige and Nita next seaosn and the following season I really believe we get Fudd. Geno is not finished yet this season or next. He is recruiting UConn type players, players he wants that will fit into his system and his culture the culture he has built UConn on. Players from overseas seem to be looking for an opportunity...a chance to do something special with their lives and UConn is the opportunity and America's WNBA is the Dream to go along with the opportunities overseas.

I have a good feeling that Geno has a Big in place. We havent heard about her yet but with all that has gone on over the past few months I do believe we have someone else in the wings who will fit into UConns requirements and fill into the UConn system.

Our biggest recruiting people are not the people on this board who have connections. It is the UConn alums who are playing all over the world that are the contacts that lead Geno to the promised land. I have no inside info but I have a hunch that Geno has someone in the wings. JMO folks I ve been around since 1995 and I kinda have an idea and its just a hunch but I think we will be surprised by the end of the summer.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We needed a one year wonder and we may not have gotten Superwomen and we didnt get Alice in Wonderland either but we are far better off then we were a month ago. For next season we needed reinforcements and we have two so far in Anna and Evelyn and both have good experience. They should both see playtime next season along with Griffin. I still think we get another one or two players for up coming season. Typically Geno recruits replacements for starters every two years. For example Onos replacement in the middle will be either this season or next.

Our future looks bright with Paige and Nita next seaosn and the following season I really believe we get Fudd. Geno is not finished yet this season or next. He is recruiting UConn type players, players he wants that will fit into his system and his culture the culture he has built UConn on. Players from overseas seem to be looking for an opportunity...a chance to do something special with their lives and UConn is the opportunity and America's WNBA is the Dream to go along with the opportunities overseas.

I have a good feeling that Geno has a Big in place. We havent heard about her yet but with all that has gone on over the past few months I do believe we have someone else in the wings who will fit into UConns requirements and fill into the UConn system.

Our biggest recruiting people are not the people on this board who have connections. It is the UConn alums who are playing all over the world that are the contacts that lead Geno to the promised land. I have no inside info but I have a hunch that Geno has someone in the wings. JMO folks I ve been around since 1995 and I kinda have an idea and its just a hunch but I think we will be surprised by the end of the summer.

From your lips @Tonyc

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It may be because I’m doped up on Benadryl, but that made me tear up a little bit. I love when good kids get recognized for just being good kids.

He sure confirms the videos and gives assurance of someone who will strive to be a good team mate and be excellent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I like your style tony, and the way you think. You’ve got a witness. I agree 100% with this post. Geno was in a space the last two years he never wants to be in again. There are a lot of "elite" recruits in the next 2-3 classes. If we can get Fudd, that would be a HUGE get for us. I think she's one of the best right now, and she'll improve greatly by the time she's ready for college. I didn't think we had a snowball's chance in he** of getting her, however, based on recent events, I've backed off that posture a bit.

Like you, I believe Geno is not done yet, and he’s already secured a big for next year, and that she will make it known to the world via social media when she is ready. I look for all of the new additions to the team to be announced by May 31. BTW, your first sentence made me lol. :):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If anyone has doubts about Adebayo’s maturity and potential, they need to read this post. These comments coming from a former coach that knows her well, and knows exactly what she’s capable of.
Good kids with talent and Character are always welcomed at Uconn. Parenting /coaching shows. The kids that run through CD's charm school for only 2 years glow brightly.

Reaction Score

I've been with Geno just a bit longer and I agree with your assessment of where Uconn now fits in WBB in the coming year. I'm one who thinks we were not lost prior this new recruiting. The 4 plus Griffin with Molly and Irwin would have made a great run to the Elite 8 and maybe beyond.
With the new additions the future looks rosy, bright , and beyond Elite 8.
If you are right, and there is no reason to believe you are not, and Geno gets a BIG (I'm assuming ONO with bulk) WOW, WOW WOW!!
I liked your words @Tonyc

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I like your style tony, and the way you think. You’ve got a witness. I agree 100% with this post. Geno was in a space the last two years he never wants to be in again. There are a lot of "elite" recruits in the next 2-3 classes. If we can get Fudd, that would be a HUGE get for us. I think she's one of the best right now, and she'll improve greatly by the time she's ready for college. I didn't think we had a snowball's chance in he** of getting her, however, based on recent events, I've backed off that posture a bit.

Like you, I believe Geno is not done yet, and he’s already secured a big for next year, and that she will make it known to the world via social media when she is ready. I look for all of the new additions to the team to be announced by May 31. BTW, your first sentence made me lol. :):D
Scoop please PM message me Many thanks

Reaction Score
I've been with Geno just a bit longer and I agree with your assessment of where Uconn now fits in WBB in the coming year. I'm one who thinks we were not lost prior this new recruiting. The 4 plus Griffin with Molly and Irwin would have made a great run to the Elite 8 and maybe beyond.
With the new additions the future looks rosy, bright , and beyond Elite 8.
If you are right, and there is no reason to believe you are not, and Geno gets a BIG (I'm assuming ONO with bulk) WOW, WOW WOW!!
I liked your words @Tonyc
I may be optimistic, but I am hoping Batouly can make a significant contribution next year.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Eh, let's not bring TonyC's lips into this. Do you have any idea where they have been? :cool:

Oh my but this reminds me of the ending of the Saturday Night Live (May 4, 2019 episode) spoof commercial on Rectix:

CAUTION - Definitely not safe for work, and quite possibly not at home, either!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Eh, let's not bring TonyC's lips into this. Do you have any idea where they have been? :cool:
Oh my but this reminds me of the ending of the Saturday Night Live (May 4, 2019 episode) spoof commercial on Rectix:

CAUTION - Definitely not safe for work, and quite possibly not at home, either!

Groan, I knew this was going to happen when I saw your post @meyers7 .
Inquiring minds DO NOT want to know.

Reaction Score
Thank you very much VaMike23. This video is right on time. It gives us an opportunity to meet her and see her in action.

After watching this short 9 minute video, I’ve got just 3 words to say................I like her!!! :) She’ll fit right in. She can help us!!! I'm not suggesting she'll start, but she will get lots of minutes. Being an experienced veteran, I don’t look for her to have a problem picking up the system. She's not a blank canvass. She already understands the game. I’d say within the first 5 games including the two exhibition games. If Geno and staff didn't think she could pick their system quickly, they would not have offered her.

She'll be one of the oldest and most experienced players on the court. She’s a player Geno won’t hesitate to play. Between the summer pick-up games and a month of practice, she should blend right in immediately. :cool:
Ummmmmm.............!

Reaction Score
Ummmmmm.............!

I am confused about the evaluation of Evelyn by the staff as well if she is only getting almost zero playing time this year.

Carnac is obviously a fraud. He cannot really see the future:p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ummmmmm.............!
UCONN bench contributed 33 points and 23 rebounds in a game last night. One former bench player (Molly) stated the game and scored in double figures her first at UCONN. Another former bench player (Kyla) played 30 minutes and dropped a very workwoman like 5 dimes. The headlines should read "A star (Aubrey) is born maybe" and UCONN may have struck gold in the mining of the bench. Evelyn Adebayo didn't play- so what it! It was the 7th game of the season her turn will come.

Reaction Score
I am confused about the evaluation of Evelyn by the staff as well if she is only getting almost zero playing time this year.

Carnac is obviously a fraud. He cannot really see the future:p

To me, this shows just how large the disparity in talent is between the Top 10 programs in the country and the Mid-Major's. Evelyn was an all conference selection who averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds at Murray State. At UConn, she is the last person off the bench. Another example is Natalie Butler leaving UConn as a role player off the bench and becoming the A10 Player of the Year at George Mason while having probably the best season of any George Mason player ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom