Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official)

Reaction Score
This is categorically not true. There is nothing that says that they can't hire another coach after letting KO go, whether the buyout has been resolved or not. Only thing on the table now is whether the dismissal was for cause or not.

Fair enough - that woud be good news. I know that KO’s contract incorporates the CBA as to for-cause terminations. Under the CBA, an employee can appeal the “decision” with respect to a for-cause dismissal “action.”

I read that to mean that the employee has the right to appeal the dismissal action itself. But I may be wrong about that - I’m not an employment lawyer. Do you know how the CBA has been interpreted on this point in the past?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
All signs lead to Hurley. Pitt fans forum is throwing in the towel on this and expects Hurley to be the next UConn coach.

But of course, the URI fans are saying that UConn is not a good job and Hurley will remain ....

Reaction Score
Fair enough - that woud be good news. I know that KO’s contract incorporates the CBA as to for-cause terminations. Under the CBA, an employee can appeal the “decision” with respect to a for-cause dismissal “action.”

I read that to mean that the employee has the right to appeal the dismissal action itself. But I may be wrong about that - I’m not an employment lawyer. Do you know how the CBA has been interpreted on this point in the past?
He can be fired for any reason. He has been fired. Now the argument is whether it will be for cause or not. But he is not longer the coach at UConn and the school is free to hire another Coach. The school's issue potentially is that it doesn't know its economic state as it pertains to Ollie. But there is nothing that says that the school can't fire Ollie and hire another Coach while the "for cause or not" issue is being resolved.

Reaction Score
Pitt fans are beleaguered, just like us. They are expecting the worst.
No doubt. I used to love hating Pitt. With their 8 year players, their 29 year olds, their failure to win when it mattered, their australian guy and the Predator dude.

But since the Kemba step and their subsequent decline, I kinda sorta feel sorry for them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Literally a highly "liked" post on the Pitt thread breaking the same news saying "Jeff Goodman loves to trash Pitt and it's fan so I'd take this with a grain of salt."

Oh the joys of internet fandom.

It’s a known fact that every game day broadcast team hates every school they cover. Just ask the fans. Well, excepting Dookies and Dookie V, who covers Duke even when they aren’t playing.

Reaction Score
Pitt fans are beleaguered, just like us. They are expecting the worst.

You got me laughing. While I’m reading through their forum I wasn’t lost in translation... they sound just like us. Sad sad people lol! It’s ok we’re UConn we’ll bounce back!

Reaction Score
But of course, the URI fans are saying that UConn is not a good job and Hurley will remain ....

No I poked around their forum too. They’re already talking about who will take over once he’s gone.

Reaction Score

While unlikely to happen, the CBA does provide for a member to contest a termination & seek reinstatement to "their" position; again it is extremely rare that this happens. Note that the AAUP, his bargaining unit, contends he has not been terminated, rather placed on administrative leave without pay pending the outcome of the grievance process. It is all about posturing right now. I'm hoping that both sides are willing & able to reach a separation agreement pretty quickly so all involved can move on.

Reaction Score
While unlikely to happen, the CBA does provide for a member to contest a termination & seek reinstatement to "their" position; again it is extremely rare that this happens. Note that the AAUP, his bargaining unit, contends he has not been terminated, rather placed on administrative leave without pay pending the outcome of the grievance process. It is all about posturing right now. I'm hoping that both sides are willing & able to reach a separation agreement pretty quickly so all involved can move on.

Without having any documents in front of me, in a non-unionized situation you can fire someone for cause and they are fired whether or not a court subsequently determines you had cause. But often collective bargaining agreements and procedures bar the termination until cause is resolved. So it may be that terminating him before a hearing enjoins the university from arguing cause down the road.

Reaction Score
I believe they used the words "lateral move."

Lol I know they don't actually believe that. We literally spend twice as much money on Men's basketball, had 80% more attendance last year despite having a terrible season.

Reaction Score
Without having any documents in front of me, in a non-unionized situation you can fire someone for cause and they are fired whether or not a court subsequently determines you had cause. But often collective bargaining agreements and procedures bar the termination until cause is resolved. So it may be that terminating him before a hearing enjoins the university from arguing cause down the road.

I agree with that. I work @ UConn & am part of the other professional union; our CBA has similar language to the AAUP contract regarding termination & the grievance process. I would concur it's all semantics until the process runs its course or an agreement is reached. If an agreement is reached, it is likely that part of the agreement will be that he will be permitted to officially resign if past practices indicate anything.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To be clear, Goodman did not say he *knows* Hurley to UConn, he said he *thinks* Hurley to UConn.
exactly
what 1 man thinks doesn't make or change anything now

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If an agreement is reached, it is likely that part of the agreement will be that he will be permitted to officially resign if past practices indicate anything.
Obviously that is considerably more valuable for an employee whose termination proceedings weren't national news.

Reaction Score
He was in Kingston at the start of the season to talk to the team at Hurley's request, and he obviously still has a good relationship with Tom Moore. Plus Hurley's old college head coach was Blaney.

Dude's got a ton of UConn ties, and it seems like where there's smoke, there's fire. But $$$ drives the bus, and we're going to have to compete with an ACC team here. I think we get Hurley, but we're going to have to pay for it.

He shouldn't get more than half of Ollie's salary. We way overpaid Ollie. We shouldn't make the same mistake again. I think half of Ollie's salary is still 2 1/2 times what Hurley makes at URI. Let him prove himself before we pay the kind of money Ollie was given. He's not going to Pitt. He knows UConn is a far better opportunity with less risk of failure. Plus his kids don't have to be disrupted from the schools they are in if he's at UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree with that. I work @ UConn & am part of the other professional union; our CBA has similar language to the AAUP contract regarding termination & the grievance process. I would concur it's all semantics until the process runs its course or an agreement is reached. If an agreement is reached, it is likely that part of the agreement will be that he will be permitted to officially resign if past practices indicate anything.
think you are right
I think DB has known this and was willing to roll the dice because I truly think he was concerned that IF Hurley was his 1st choice he might lose him if he didn't relieve KO of his position when he did Pitt would pounce
I am sure KO will get something out of this mess
not sure Hurley is the best UConn can do

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He shouldn't get more than half of Ollie's salary. We way overpaid Ollie. We shouldn't make the same mistake again. I think half of Ollie's salary is still 2 1/2 times what Hurley makes at URI. Let him prove himself before we pay the kind of money Ollie was given. He's not going to Pitt. He knows UConn is a far better opportunity with less risk of failure. Plus his kids don't have to be disrupted from the schools they are in if he's at UConn.

If Pitt offers twice what we do, he's not coming here.

You get what you pay for.

Reaction Score
So this would in essence not allow UCONN to formally offer the job to someone else until the case is resolved? Seems to be a gray area here.

Reaction Score
So this would in essence not allow UCONN to formally offer the job to someone else until the case is resolved? Seems to be a gray area here.

It all depends on what the CBA says. It is possible they can't formally offer it until the process resolves without giving up the "for cause" argument. But I don't think it matters. If they agree with Hurley on his deal and can explain when the process will be wrapped up either way, I'm not sure he cares.

Reaction Score
If Pitt offers twice what we do, he's not coming here.

You get what you pay for.

Forget what article I read but family is very important to Hurley and he turned down D1 offers previously before going to Wagner because they were too far from where he and his wife lived. Seems he wants to stay somewhat close to ny/nj area.

Pitt is a hike. Not an easy/ short trip to ny/nj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom