Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodman: Hurley to UConn (not official)

Reaction Score
If true, I love the irony for those around the program for many years.

Despite the many great players that came out of St Benedicts over the years, I don't think Calhoun was ever successful in recruiting a Hurley Sr coached player to come to UConn despite his many attempts and great recruits (correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember UConn ever getting any of Benedicts players despite many attempts) ....Now he is going to convince Hurley Sr's own son to take over the UConn program! Quite ironic.:)

Hurley' father coached at St. Anthony's.

Reaction Score
If true, I love the irony for those around the program for many years.

Despite the many great players that came out of St Benedicts over the years, I don't think Calhoun was ever successful in recruiting a Hurley Sr coached player to come to UConn despite his many attempts and great recruits (correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember UConn ever getting any of Benedicts players despite many attempts) ....Now he is going to convince Hurley Sr's own son to take over the UConn program! Quite ironic.:)
Your point still stands, but Hurley Sr. coached at St. Anthony's in Jersey City (now closed). Danny was the coach of St. Benedict's in Newark before hitting the college ranks. St. Benedict's has always been a soccer power, but I don't think they were a basketball power before Danny (I could be wrong about that though).

To add to your post, I don't think Danny placed any players at UConn while at St. Benedict's.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Your point still stands, but Hurley Sr. coached at St. Anthony's in Jersey City (now closed). Danny was the coach of St. Benedict's in Newark before hitting the college ranks. St. Benedict's has always been a soccer power, but I don't think they were a basketball power before Danny (I could be wrong about that though).

To add to your post, I don't think Danny placed any players at UConn while at St. Benedict's.

Yes, you are correct. I meant St Anthony's not St Benedicts. I don't think Calhoun was ever able to get one of Hurley's St Anthony players.

Reaction Score
I really hope this is true and we can move the program forward. I guess we will have to wait a little bit longer until Rhode Island is eliminated from the tourney to find out.

Reaction Score
We are not going to hear anything official until KO’s appeal is over or the school reaches a settlement with him. UConn cannot actually fire KO for cause without going through the process first. If they bring in a new coach before that’s over, they’ve arguably breached the contract and would likely owe KO the full $10M.

Reaction Score
We are not going to hear anything official until KO’s appeal is over or the school reaches a settlement with him. UConn cannot actually fire KO for cause without going through the process first. If they bring in a new coach before that’s over, they’ve arguably breached the contract and would likely owe KO the full $10M.
I’m sure they are hoping to get the KO settlement done soon. Probably a little leverage for KO if we are trying to hire Hurley soon.

Reaction Score
This is categorically not true. There is nothing that says that they can't hire another coach after letting KO go, whether the buyout has been resolved or not. Only thing on the table now is whether the dismissal was for cause or not.

Reaction Score
The title is egregious. Needs to be changed or deleted.

People in media are supposed to have opinions on everything nowadays. Goodman was asked his opinion on our future head coach. Nothing more, nothing less

Even still, it's pretty likely Goodman knows about some stuff that us fans don't. At worst it's likely a fairly educated guess.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sadly, I don't think we can do better.

No idea who 'the guy' should be, but who out there is better? Leaving aside fully entrenched stud coaches...

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do people in the twitter age regularly push stories that are heavily unverified or purely speculation to push some sort of agenda, yes. Do people who claim to be "professionals" making a living intentionally "troll" complete strangers for no other reason than some sort of personal pleasure? No, that's ridiculous.

If he says it publicly, especially on an ESPN branded broadcast, he is doing it as an employee so his credibility is attached to the statement. Therefore if he's wrong, he's wrong because the source was bogus, NOT because Goodman wants to "troll" you nobodies that's paranoid nonsense. Let's see how this plays out.

The third option would be a 'professional' doing it for the clicks. Similar to an agenda, but not quite the same.

If you've got a fanbase you know will get up in arms, just put out a few negative comments, and watch the clicks flow. Happens on radio/tv more though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I really wish they would stop speculating until after the season, poor RI kids. I know, impossible to wish for, but still.

You're not wrong, but wtf else do UCONN fans have to do right now?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Is this a forum post with an embedded tweet itself embedding a picture of a different forum post quoting an XM radio segment?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
#hugeupgrade
At this point, I think any coach who can field a full roster wothout being dependent on players coming off bad injuries, and grad transfers would be a huge upgrade.

Reaction Score
Goodman is a , but is there a guy the BY does not think hates/trolls UConn? By my count over the years we have had Goodman, Doyel, Bilas, Gottlieb, Barkley... Of course, many times we've flipped when they've said something that wasn't critical about us and we then valued their "honesty."

The biggest troll of all time was the Pitt newspaper guy who called the 1999 team thugs and non-students compared to Duke.

Reaction Score
Everyone now knows JC visited URI a few times and even talked to their team. He even plays golf in southern RI in the cold, weather permitting. Between those things and Tom Moore being at URI , we know JC has spoken to Hurley on at least a few occasions.
Could be off the mark, but doesn't JC now live in Westerly or somewhere near Kingston? If so, the avid golfer likely finds his way on a few southern RI links.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom