Gamecocks 2022, part III | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not eligible.

Yep Aliyah was kinda young as a college freshman, wasn't she? Didn't she just miss out on being age-eligible for the U19 national team this past offseason, by a month or so? As a rising college junior?

Reaction Score
Yep Aliyah was kinda young as a college freshman, wasn't she? Didn't she just miss out on being age-eligible for the U19 national team this past offseason, by a month or so? As a rising college junior?
Birthday is December 11, when she will no longer be a teenager.

Reaction Score
Question for our SC friends here at the Boneyard: Is this the most complete team Dawn has ever had? It seems that way so far. Lots of versatility and depth. Big convincing win today.
Nope. I don’t think they’re complete. I do think they’re the best team in the country though. Then again. The question wasn’t for me lol. I do love watching them though.

Reaction Score
I do think this is the best defensive team we have ever had. I also think by year’s end this could be the best team - as long as we stay healthy. We just have so much depth - at every position. Dawn has done a great job already of putting our bench players in at crucial times so they can learn what it takes to play in a tense situation. They were locked in today.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1) I dunno if any of yall interact with Staley via Social Media, but if yall do.... can you do me a favor and tell her to take it easy on the next two opponents.... Thanks.

2) Im getting old and forgetful.. so I looked at yall's december schedule again.. a three game stretch of Maryland, Duke, and Stanford :eek: Gotta be the toughest 3 game stretch of any team in the country.

3) What's the word on Grissett? How much longer is she supposed to be out? Any chance she will be back by the 15th of December?

Reaction Score
3) What's the word on Grissett? How much longer is she supposed to be out? Any chance she will be back by the 15th of December?
No word that I know of on Lele but she is practicing. Before the Bahamas trip, Destanni Henderson answered questions from the media at practice and Lele could be seen in the background ballin’ with 3 of the male practice players, so hopefully she’s close.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No word that I know of on Lele but she is practicing. Before the Bahamas trip, Destanni Henderson answered questions from the media at practice and Lele could be seen in the background ballin’ with 3 of the male practice players, so hopefully she’s close.

I would hate to see a kid not being able to play in her hometown in front of friends and family.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
a three game stretch of Maryland, Duke, and Stanford :eek: Gotta be the toughest 3 game stretch of any team in the country.
Maryland plays Baylor, NC State and Stanford in consecutive games.

Also, South Florida plays UConn, Oregon and Stanford consecutively.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maryland plays Baylor, NC State and Stanford in consecutive games.

Also, South Florida plays UConn, Oregon and Stanford consecutively.

Come on now... you COULD have left that slide you know. :oops:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Come on now... you COULD have left that slide you know. :oops:
Ha sorry, your post made me curious and so I looked. Didn't realize it was a pride post. :)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Question for our SC friends here at the Boneyard: Is this the most complete team Dawn has ever had? It seems that way so far. Lots of versatility and depth. Big convincing win today.
I still think the 2019-2020 team was better offensively, but that team didn’t start out super hot on offense either. They grew to become the team they became. The ‘19-‘20 team was just so sharp offensively, they could get any shot they wanted on the court when they wanted it. Half court or transition. Ty quarterbacked the team so well that Dawn rarely had to get up and coach during games. Ty just had IT. And they were even better defensively. Ty and KiKi were so good that year that they elevated their draft stock to top 10 status. I think this team will grow as well.. the pieces are there. When it’s all said I believe this team will surpass the ‘19-‘20 team in every way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw in Auriemma's post-game presser where he states that his Huskies were "the better team" for 30 minutes of the game, and the Gamecocks were the better team for 10 minutes - albeit the most important 10 minutes.

It's an interesting read on the game. The Huskies out-scored the Gamecocks in the 1st quarter ONLY - the Gamecocks out-scored the Huskies in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. Out-rebounded them 42-25 for the game, but also 34-20 for quarters #2, #3, and #4. Shot better than them - 25-53 (.472) vs 15-47 (.319) - for quarters #2, #3, and #4. Forced them into thirteen (13) turnovers in quarters #2, #3, and #4 compared to just 6 being forced from us. And they were the "better team" for 30 minutes of the game?

:eek:

I hope Coach Auriemma and his staff take that perspective into preparations for our next game at the end of January.....

Reaction Score
I'm not sure he quite meant that they were better through three Qs as on the whole he seemed to be saying that they played well and executed their (very good) game plan up to that point.

He might feel that way but not quite sure that was the thrust of his statements.

He definitely felt like they had the right approach and the failure to execute by the players was the primary problem.

He's one of the few that will say it though I imagine most think it and often aren't wrong.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Saw in Auriemma's post-game presser where he states that his Huskies were "the better team" for 30 minutes of the game, and the Gamecocks were the better team for 10 minutes - albeit the most important 10 minutes.

It's an interesting read on the game. The Huskies out-scored the Gamecocks in the 1st quarter ONLY - the Gamecocks out-scored the Huskies in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. Out-rebounded them 42-25 for the game, but also 34-20 for quarters #2, #3, and #4. Shot better than them - 25-53 (.472) vs 15-47 (.319) - for quarters #2, #3, and #4. Forced them into thirteen (13) turnovers in quarters #2, #3, and #4 compared to just 6 being forced from us. And they were the "better team" for 30 minutes of the game?

:eek:

I hope Coach Auriemma and his staff take that perspective into preparations for our next game at the end of January.....
If that's the "better team".. can they please be the better team in January too? lol

But seriously. What I took from that was that he was saying his team had the right game plan for 30 minutes and they executed well, but then they just got worn down by SC's defense. I agree with him, the first 30 minutes were competitive. But SC did win 3 out of the 4 quarters in the majority of the primary statistical categories.

Reaction Score
If that's the "better team".. can they please be the better team in January too? lol

But seriously. What I took from that was that he was saying his team had the right game plan for 30 minutes and they executed well, but then they just got worn down by SC's defense. I agree with him, the first 30 minutes were competitive. But SC did win 3 out of the 4 quarters in the majority of the primary statistical categories.

But even if THAT was his perspective, he's saying that his team played the right game plan during quarters 2 and 3, where his team was substantially out-played, and where they lost the lead. In the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs, SC out-scored CT 43-35: at one point in the 2nd Qtr., CT led by 13 pts 28-15 with 8 minutes to play, and was out-scored the rest of the way of the 2nd and the 3rd Qtr. - 18 minutes - 42-26. And Auriemma still says this? Both teams shot similarly for the 2nd and 3rd qtrs - SC .487, and CT .481 - But SC took 39 attempts to CT's 27.

And it was 20-14 CT after the 1st, then 28-15 two minutes into the 2nd Qtr. Up to that point, CT shot 2-4 to open the 2nd Qtr., and SC only had one shot attempt - a missed 3-pt. attempt by Henderson. So by the 8-minute mark of the 2nd Qtr., CT was 10-17 (.588) from the field, and SC was 6-15 (.400). For the next 18 minutes of the rest of the 2nd and all of the 3rd Qtrs, SC was 19-38 (.500), and CT was 11-23 (.478). From that point on for the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs, South Carolina converted almost TWICE the number of shots that Connecticut did. And that's the "right game plan" for 20 of those 30 minutes?

My point still stands. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyhow, this game is over, and it's only one chapter with at least one - and possibly more - to follow. Time to move on to Elon and NC AT, back-to-back games that should give our youngsters plenty of playing opportunities before another run of strong opponents begin again....

Reaction Score
I think he said that even following the game plan that they knew it would be hard, so he might well consider being down 3 within a certain margin of luck.

I do not really think there is much there to get excited about.

I think Geno is kind of entertaining myself and didn't take it as a slight. He's entitled to think his team is better if he wants to (honestly every good coach should maybe claim to) even if that's what he was saying. But that wasn't how I took it.

I don't know why folks have started

Reaction Score
Anyhow, this game is over, and it's only one chapter with at least one - and possibly more - to follow. Time to move on to Elon and NC AT, back-to-back games that should give our youngsters plenty of playing opportunities before another run of strong opponents begin again....
Time to see the babies!

Reaction Score
Bree Hall absolutely plays like her hair's on fire every time she gets on the court. She's like a mad woman. I am ready to get Saniyah Rivers on track. She is the gifted offensive player and she's tall and quick. We do need some depth at guard and both of these girls can help once they get a little more experience.

If and when we get LeLe back - that's another terrific bench player who can play 1-4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bree Hall absolutely plays like her hair's on fire every time she gets on the court. She's like a mad woman. I am ready to get Saniyah Rivers on track. She is the gifted offensive player and she's tall and quick. We do need some depth at guard and both of these girls can help once they get a little more experience.

If and when we get LeLe back - that's another terrific bench player who can play 1-4.

The way the season has turned out, I'd like to get LeLe back, but not sure if it's going to happen.

Reaction Score
Interesting from G'ville news:

Cooper is second only to legendary forward A'ja Wilson ins the ESPN recruiting rankings of players from South Carolina that Staley has signed since her tenure began in the 2008-09 season.

► Wilson (Heathwood Hall) was the nation's top overall recruit by ESPN in 2014.

► Power Forward Alaina Coates (Dutch Fork) was ranked 28th overall and fourth at her position in 2013.

► Point guard Khadijah Sessions (Myrtle Beach) was seventh at her position and 40th overall in 2012.

► Forward Aleighsa Welch (Goose Creek) was 26th at her position and 88th overall in 2011.

► Guard Asia Dozier (Spring Valley) was 33rd at her position and 90th overall in 2012.

Of course, Ashlyn, Fulwiley and Joyce Edwards are still in the chute.
South Carolina HS coaching and officiating is generally pretty poor (for boys as well), but Staley’s success certainly isn’t hurting the sport at home. It just saddens me that so few schools have competent coaching or developmental programs.

Reaction Score
As far a native born ladies. Teresa Geter was #3 overall nationally and I think Shazuki Gortman was higher. Then you have to go back to lady that transferred back to Carolina to play for coach Wilson from Maryland. [Mclain ?] She was #1 overall and a kid from Charlestons. Now all of this pre-dates ESPN but the recruting services were more accurate back then in my opinion . Why ? No AAU
The recruiting services certainly were not more accurate without the benefit of interstate holiday tournaments, summer AAU, and widespread availability of online film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom