Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s very odd considering they‘ve Allowed 100,000 people into fb stadiums and had in person football media day in July.

Perhaps with all the Zoom/Meet/Meet Now/Team virtual apps proliferating on the internet due to the pandemic, and the costs of sending media staff to these things (hotels, meals, gas), they probably just figured the job could get done just as easily virtually as it would literally. SOME media days generate public attendance, like FB Media Days, but doubtful there'd be many there for WBB.

Schools generate revenue via football game attendance, so that doesn't surprise me. It's not really a factor with WBB media days......

Reaction Score
While we’re off topic, let me make notice we have a pretty talented freshman women’s tennis player here at USC. Sarah Hamner won the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championship this morning. Every few days I get tweets with her upsetting NCAA opponents ranked in the top 50 so she’s off to a pretty hot start. Just someone to pay attention to during her time in Columbia and possibly someday on the WTA tour. She participated in the juniors tournament at this year’s US Open (lost her 1st round match).

Looks like our tennis programs are in strong shape these days, with Jubb winning the men's singles national title 2-3 seasons ago....

Reaction Score
Since we are talking about WBB in this thread.... when is the SEC Media Day?

1) I have no idea what you are talking about
2) You don't need to post anything about that game
3) Whoever played in that game in the past.. that's the past. Lets focus on the 2021-22 Season.
And let’s focus on. WBB instead of football. :oops:

Reaction Score
And that's where I think you are very wrong. Dawn ALWAYS draws a crowd and this year things would have been buzzing with the things she has done AND with Kim Mulkey being added to the fray. Plus, it's not just WBB - it's MBB too. I get it about the pandemic and I don't blame them. It's just rather ironic that they had FB in person in July and have close to 100,000 people in stadiums with not mask but now are worried about the pandemic. Does sort of made you go hmmmm...or something.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
And that's where I think you are very wrong. Dawn ALWAYS draws a crowd and this year things would have been buzzing with the things she has done AND with Kim Mulkey being added to the fray. Plus, it's not just WBB - it's MBB too. I get it about the pandemic and I don't blame them. It's just rather ironic that they had FB in person in July and have close to 100,000 people in stadiums with not mask but now are worried about the pandemic. Does sort of made you go hmmmm...or something.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Money, money, money!

Check how much the SEC schools make on football.

Check how much the SEC makes on basketball. Other than maybe Kentucky, it ain't close.

But "yeah" the coverage on Kim would have been very interesting.

One could also say that the Football media days were conducted during the earlier covid lull, while there is now a spike. So, it could be coming from the coaches rather than the conference officials or ADs.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
We dream of 3-3. In Connecticut, football season is a way to kill time until basketball season starts.
I finally gave up my season football tickets to spend that money on basketball tournaments.

Reaction Score
Brantley Southers (Getting inducted into the SC Hall of Fame) I got here (USC) in 84. Great basketball player-walked into the Russell House Cafeteria one day-all the guys stopped eating.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I had a class with Brantley at USC; she was a great basketball player and I enjoyed watching her play.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I had a class with Brantley at USC; she was a great basketball player and I enjoyed watching her play.
This is so cool. I had a summer class with LaKeisha Sutton and Iesha Walker. I wonder what USC was like in the 80s.

I had a few SPTE classes with Connor Shaw and Stephon Gilmore as well. They were always pretty good students.

Reaction Score
No because I've watched her play and that's my opinion.

can she drive as a four and hit face up shots? Sure.

That's what makes her a potentially great four.
Watched her play clarification ? @ an actual tourney where Essence Tip Hayes played on the EBYL circuit or Youtube videos ?

Reaction Score
This is so cool. I had a summer class with LaKeisha Sutton and Iesha Walker. I wonder what USC was like in the 80s.

I had a few SPTE classes with Connor Shaw and Stephon Gilmore as well. They were always pretty good students.
Five Points. We could go to 5 points in the 80s. Lol . for a yr-lived in the same dorm as Darius Rucker (Honeycombs)

Reaction Score
I was sure the 2nd best female basketball out of WJ Keenan transferred in to USC ? Apologies...
Shaunzinski Gortman didn’t transfer in. She committed to USC while at W J Keenan. Teresa Geter transferred in from Tennessee. She attended Columbia High School.

Reaction Score
One can write a book and call it the secret WBB History at South Carolina: Covering the Parson years and the early tenure of the Wilson years. When we moved to the SEC-we did not support WBB $$ as we do now, poor recruiting plan by Wilson (IMO)and we could not recruit with TN,UGA, Vandy,auburn,LSU,Ole Miss. Especially holding on to instate.

Then UNC with former Francis Marions Coach Sylvia Hatchell picking our bones & getting the best players out of both Carolina's . . Those were the powers in the 90s. Arky a little bit when Fry Blair was their and took them to the final 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched her play clarification ? @ an actual tourney where Essence Tip Hayes played on the EBYL circuit or Youtube videos ?
FIBA world 3 on 3 tournament, 3-4 full ganes.

I think I've watched a full high school game of hers online but perhaps not. Couldn't immediately find it.

of course all the YouTube highlight videos and hype videos "Stars Collide: Barker vs Feagin get raw at figJam." Etc etc.

every time there is a tall girl who can dribble a little and hit a face up shot lately folks want to make her a small forward.

I don't buy it. You need to be perimeter oriented for that to work so the interior doesn't clog and you can defend guards. I don't think the vast majority of them can pull it off.

can you force it? I guess. It's really just a question of performance against teams that can beat you though.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Five Points. We could go to 5 points in the 80s. Lol . for a yr-lived in the same dorm as Darius Rucker (Honeycombs)
I was there from 2008-2013.. and those were some of the last great years of 5 Points if you ask most people. It was still relatively safe, every storefront had a bar or restaurant, a lot of the classic 5 points bars were still around (Jungle Jims, PTs, ParrotHeads, GoodTimes, Group Therapy), it was lively during the day and night, CPD would close off Harden to automobile traffic for really big night games back then, I'll never forget the way we celebrated in 5 points for the Alabama win.. Harden was closed off and it had to be 50,000 people out there. It looked like "St. Pats in 5 points", but at night. Columbia was still pretty student friendly at that time. Great times. The Vista also became a "thing" during that time. If you were into the bar scene more than the house party scene then it was a great time to be at USC, although I thoroughly enjoyed both scenes during my time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger