Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Coach sounds especially high on Rivers, great passer with court vision, and Cardoso in that presser.

Bree Hall really does sound like Brea Beal again but perhaps more shooting.

Feagin sounds like the one with the hardest path to playing time. Feagin seems like she is pretty happy with things though. Very sunny in her interview.

Reaction Score
I think Coach sounds especially high on Rivers, great passer with court vision, and Cardoso in that presser.

Bree Hall really does sound like Brea Beal again but perhaps more shooting.

Feagin sounds like the one with the hardest path to playing time. Feagin seems like she is pretty happy with things though. Very sunny in her interview.
Yeah Feagin was always going to have a hard time making an impact early on considering the vets in front of her. What I got from Dawn's presser, is what I had anticipated, is that we now have options. If a Beal or a Saxton can't produce offense you now have a Hall/Rivers and Amihere/Cardoso to come in to shake things up. I think the emphasis will be on 5 offensive threats this season.

Reaction Score
Yeah Feagin was always going to have a hard time making an impact early on considering the vets in front of her. What I got from Dawn's presser, is what I had anticipated, is that we now have options. If a Beal or a Saxton can't produce offense you now have a Hall/Rivers and Amihere/Cardoso to come in to shake things up. I think the emphasis will be on 5 offensive threats this season.
When you really think about it, it’s somewhat surprising that last year’s offense ranked 10th in the Massey ratings given we got <17.5 points from our starting 3 and 4 positions combined. Even Boston only averaged 13 or so—we weren’t scoring into the 80s on the regular.

I’m not saying that SC (or anyone in particular) will take the title, but when you look at the retained roster and newcomer additions, I’m not sure how you can say that any other team got better in the off-season more than SC did.

Reaction Score
So reading between the lines I'm hearing that Hall and Cardoso have had the biggest impact straight out of the gate, Johnson and Rivers are super talented but have a learning curve, and Feagin is a bit of an unknown because she is buried behind All Americans. I also got the impression that coach thinks Rivers and Cardoso have the highest ceilings of the newcomers.

I wonder if her perspective will stay the same by the time the preseason ends.

Reaction Score
So reading between the lines I'm hearing that Hall and Cardoso have had the biggest impact straight out of the gate, Johnson and Rivers are super talented but have a learning curve, and Feagin is a bit of an unknown because she is buried behind All Americans. I also got the impression that coach thinks Rivers and Cardoso have the highest ceilings of the newcomers.

I agree with your evaluation. This makes me happy if true—Hall seems to have been overshadowed by the loftier rankings of her three fellow freshmen, but #14 is still program-changing. (Recognize that HS rankings mean little outside on the court—just saying that I thought Hall would be a great asset and it sounds like that’s the case so far!).

Reaction Score
When you really think about it, it’s somewhat surprising that last year’s offense ranked 10th in the Massey ratings given we got <17.5 points from our starting 3 and 4 positions combined. Even Boston only averaged 13 or so—we weren’t scoring into the 80s on the regular.

I’m not saying that SC (or anyone in particular) will take the title, but when you look at the retained roster and newcomer additions, I’m not sure how you can say that any other team got better in the off-season more than SC did.
Agreed, they bring 100% of last year's team that was only a basket away from a national title game, then you add the #1 recruiting class and literally the biggest transfer of the off-season and it's hard to argue otherwise leading into the season.

Reaction Score
Agreed, they bring 100% of last year's team that was only a basket away from a national title game, then you add the #1 recruiting class and literally the biggest transfer of the off-season and it's hard to argue otherwise leading into the season.

That sounds a lot like UConn. Which is why this season’s match up will be so interesting.

Reaction Score
Losing at the buzzer and getting blown out are not the same. SC definitely was close to the title
well, we still would have needed to beat Arizona too. So, we really weren't much closer than UConn.

Reaction Score
well, we still would have needed to beat Arizona too. So, we really weren't much closer than UConn.
South Carolina would have, every team that upsets Uconn in the final 4 comes out flat the next game. It took an epic comeback from Notre Dame in 18 to win

Reaction Score
South Carolina would have, every team that upsets Uconn in the final 4 comes out flat the next game. It took an epic comeback from Notre Dame in 18 to win
I do think SC would have beaten Arizona, yeah. Gamecocks’ strength all year was post play (when they remembered it, anyway) and think Boston/Saxton would have overpowered a smaller AZ front line.

That said, I would have said (and did say) the same about UConn (but ONO went 0-7 and Edwards wasn’t much better). Suppose anything is possible.

In any case, both UConn and South Carolina enter the season hungry. They’ll play at least one, almost certainly twice, and very likely a third time. I think one of them exits 2-1 but can’t envision a way either team goes 3-0 against the other.

Reaction Score
I agree with your evaluation. This makes me happy if true—Hall seems to have been overshadowed by the loftier rankings of her three fellow freshmen, but #14 is still program-changing. (Recognize that HS rankings mean little outside on the court—just saying that I thought Hall would be a great asset and it sounds like that’s the case so far!).

I am sorry but I did not hear it the way you did. (Hall and Cardoso) leading the pack . The inference I got is that Johson will be playing back up PG Minutes so they are working with her on pace to play up tempo. Rivers she likes offensively but has to get her to improve Def. a little more and on the mental aspect (dont let a bad play effect your play) . They sound like the first Frosh off the bench to me..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Losing at the buzzer and getting blown out are not the same. SC definitely was close to the title

Really? I was simply noting that like S. Carolina, has its team coming back, has a highly recruited freshman class, and has a top transfer. And, if you want, lost in the FF. Are you telling me that you don’t see the similarities?

Reaction Score
I am sorry but I did hear it the way you did. (Hall and Cardoso) leading the pack . The inference I got is that Johson will be playing back up PG Minutes so they are working with her on pace to play up tempo. Rivers she likes offensively but has to get her to improve Def. a little more and on the mental aspect (dont let a bad play effect your play) . They sound like the first Frosh off the bench to me..
Fair. I agree that CDS believes Rivers will be the best of the bunch. I got the impression she had moments that made coach go "wow" but she wasn't consistent. So I agree that Rivers will separate herself from the pack once she feels comfortable in Dawn's system.

Reaction Score
Anyone at the scrimmage?? I can’t make it so I’m hoping someone records or goes live??

Reaction Score
The garnet/black scrimmage was pretty sloppy.

They were pushing them to play fast, Dawn said, and it wasn't smooth.

the full squad knocked off the practice men. Still playing pretty fast.

in full squad starters were Henny, Cooke, Beal, Saxton, Boston. First subs were Amihere, Rivers, Hall, and I think Cardoso.

then Raven and Littleton, I'm pretty sure

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was there. The defense is very ahead of the offense. Dawn wasn’t lying about Hall’s aggressiveness on D and Rivers’ passing. She had a couple sweet long passes. Black team defeated the Garnet team, and then the ladies beat the team of male practice players (for what it’s worth, last season’s starters started against the men).

The team theme is “Net worth”.

Janiah Barker was there. She sat midcourt about 5 rows up with apparently her mom. Even though she was masked, I recognized her pretty quickly as she entered the stands headed to her seats.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I was there. The defense is very ahead of the offense. Dawn wasn’t lying about Hall’s aggressiveness on D and Rivers’ passing. She had a couple sweet long passes. Black team defeated the Garnet team, and then the ladies beat the team of male practice players (for what it’s worth, last season’s starters started against the men).

Janiah Barker was there. She sat midcourt about 5 rows up with apparently her mom. Even though she was masked, I recognized her pretty quickly as she entered the stands headed to her seats.
I think Bree Hall will get a lot more playing time than many expected. The freshmen are incredibly athletic. Hollywood can sky.

Reaction Score
I think Bree Hall will get a lot more playing time than many expected. The freshmen are incredibly athletic. Hollywood can sky.

Hall is definitely taller and much faster than i thought when we were recruiting her.

Going to be interesting to see whether she ends up more a wing or a forward.

Rivers pops out to me. Didn't make her shots but you can see it.

Cardoso couldn't really do much with Boston. But maybe that face mask affected her.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the insights! What are your thoughts on the team relative to last year? Seems like offense usually lags behind the defense at season’s beginning for Dawn’s teams.

Reaction Score

Janiah with some video of her in Cola in her IG stories showing her spread in her hotel room, and hanging out with the freshmen and with Champ at practice.

Reaction Score

Thank you! I'm really excited to see Hall play! It sounds like she will fit right into Lele's shoes. We really needed a lockdown defender on Haley Jones in the Stanford game. With Lele injured and Brea guarding their best player there was no one who could assist. Sounds like things are changing for the good...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insights! What are your thoughts on the team relative to last year? Seems like offense usually lags behind the defense at season’s beginning for Dawn’s teams.
Bigger, faster, deeper, more athletic.
Thank you! I'm really excited to see Hall play! It sounds like she will fit right into Lele's shoes. We really needed a lockdown defender on Haley Jones in the Stanford game. With Lele injured and Brea guarding their best player there was no one who could assist. Sounds like things are changing for the good...
I think Haley Jones was their best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom