Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She's gone. Why would Boston turn down the money and risk getting hurt? Another championship would mean little in the big picture.
She can probably make more money in college.

Reaction Score
Too bad it’s not five on five! I think we might be the favorite in that scenario. Pretty tough to play five against twelve. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Unlikely but possible. Agree that UConn will need all 4, but you never know. Last year, UConn competed well in the 1st quarter then got pounded on the boards. If Huskies can make the game about speed and jump shooting, they have a chance.
I remember us getting blown out in the first Q last year

Reaction Score
She's good in the open floor but she still makes too many poor decisions in the half-court to be considered the better point guard than the player leading the country in assists with the best shooters and scorers on injured reserve for over half the season. No need to come here and disrespect Nika like that.
No disrespect intended. I did not say she was better than Nika. I am referring to this one particular game and stated I would not be surprised. I don't think Henderson is better than Paige. However, she was better on the floor that one night.

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended. I did not say she was better than Nika. I am referring to this one particular game and stated I would not be surprised. I don't think Henderson is better than Paige. However, she was better on the floor that one night.
Because Paige was at 80% and on one leg. Regardless when I hear best point guard on the floor I hear better player.

I think people are underrating how weak the SEC is this year. The only ranked teams South Caroline played this year are out of conference and we’re single digit wins except Maryland who was without their best player. So yea Raven Johnson playing better in SEC play is good but not surprising considering their toughest competition is OOC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But, what makes her a great coach?
Well, I’m just spit ballin’ here, but I’d say doing this twice, probably gives her an argument.

1675387733323.jpeg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I posted the following on the similar thread on the "General" board, but I sense that is less widely read than this one. So reluctantly I am re-posting here what I said there:

To me it is obvious that the key to the game, and the outcome, is whether UConn can do a reasonable job of clearing its defensive boards. In the NC game last year, UConn's performance in that department was abysmal. The Gamecocks got 21 offensive rebounds vs. UConn's 6; they led in second-chance points by 22-5; and in paint points by a surprisingly small margin of 32-26.

When I watched the game months ago, I believe I recall that UConn's first defensive rebound was pulled down by Evina Westbrook about 8 minutes into the game, after South Carolina had (sometimes after 3 or 4 tries) successfully put back every one of their misses prior to that.

UConn's two big players in the game (Liv and Aaliyah) got a total of 4 rebounds (2 each) in the entire game, while Aliyah Boston got 16, despite only scoring 11 points. Paige led UConn with 6 rebounds -- obviously not the way rebounding is supposed to work, although I would not be surprised to see Nika get 6 rebounds on Sunday.

On the other side of the scale, Destanni Henderson scored 26 points (9-20 and 3-6 from 3), including quite a few in the first quarter. I doubt that any SC guard will torch UConn on Sunday quite like that.

Even so, after getting down 22-8 after Q1, the game was even for the last three quarters -- the Gamecocks actually won the last 30 minutes by 42-41. At one point late in the game, UConn closed the margin to 6 points, but could not sustain the momentum.

If the rebounding margin (particularly the offensive rebounding margin) is as lopsided on Sunday as it was in April, the final score will be in favor of SC by 15 to 20 points. But if UConn can keep SC's offensive rebound totals under control, then the game should be close. I am assuming that Aaliyah and Lou play their normal games (at the level of the Villanova game) and not the somnolent games that they had against Providence.

And here is one significant update: With about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, South Carolilna is leading Kentucky by the huge margin of 63-48. The game was within 6 points a few minutes ago. Kentucky has a 2-7 record in SEC conference play. It sounds like a near approximation of last night's UConn game against Providence. Don't put SC on such a high pedastal as many posters have appeared to do.

Reaction Score
I’m currently watching the SC/Kentucky game. Kentucky is losing but they have played pretty competitively in the second half (SC definitely has a height advantage though, for one, and SC had like 19 points off rebounds last time I checked, which is almost the point difference right now in Q4).

It feels like watching UConn playing their conference games, where the opposition never really seems like they’ll pull off the upset, but the game isn’t a huge blowout from start to finish.

I think UConn can keep it very close when these two teams play, especially if UConn is shooting well from the 3 (as pointed out in this game by the announcers, that is a weak spot for SC). UConn also has to keep SC from dominating the boards.

Reaction Score
I remember us getting blown out in the first Q last year
You are correct. I was referring to the first time we played SC last year but it was only a 6 point difference in the First Quarter. UConn did a great job getting back in the game in the Third Q but did not do well at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Would it make sense to focus on rebounding position more than on defending the initial shot attempt?
I think so. You don’t have to closely contest their shooters, just don’t leave them completely wide open.

Reaction Score
You are correct. I was referring to the first time we played SC last year but it was only a 6 point difference in the First Quarter. UConn did a great job getting back in the game in the Third Q but did not do well at the end of the game.
We only played South Carolina once last season in the national championship game. The regular season game was canceled.

Reaction Score
We only played South Carolina once last season in the national championship game. The regular season game was canceled.
I believe they played in the Finals in the November Bahama Tournament and Uconn got blown out.

Reaction Score
Watching Halftime of the Iowa/Maryland game and they compared Uconns and SC minutes per game. Uconn leads the nation with starters playing over 30 minutes per game & SC the lowest minutes per game at 20. Also, SC has the highest off the bench mpg & Uconn has the lowest off the bench mpg.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Watching Halftime of the Iowa/Maryland game and they compared Uconns and SC minutes per game. Uconn leads the nation with starters playing over 30 minutes per game & SC the lowest minutes per game at 20. Also, SC has the highest off the bench mpg & Uconn has the lowest off the bench mpg.
Great observations BB Dawg...I also took note of that and the question that nags at me...If SC's starters are as productive as they are averaging 24 minutes per game...what can we expect if they play 30 minutes per game? I really hope that UConn can weather the storm for 40 minutes...it is going to be tough.

Reaction Score
Great observations BB Dawg...I also took note of that and the question that nags at me...If SC's starters are as productive as they are averaging 24 minutes per game...what can we expect if they play 30 minutes per game? I really hope that UConn can weather the storm for 40 minutes...it is going to be tough.
Productivity goes down over time.

Reaction Score
I believe they played in the Finals in the November Bahama Tournament and Uconn got blown out.
Wasn’t Azzi out for that game, or playing injured? And I believe we had some missing players as well. (Or at least one missing player.)

I don’t believe SC has ever beaten a “full strength” UConn team.

Reaction Score
Would it make sense to focus on rebounding position more than on defending the initial shot attempt?
Probably what will happen but I believe if you sag and lay off people, then they’ll just be able to plant themselves on the blocks. I believe in forcing them to come out to provide relief from pressure on the wings and out front. They can’t hurt you in that situation.
We have to up the tempo, force them to come out, then our O will have the quicker tempo including fast breaks.
No way in creation that UConn can compete with the best in the nation playing slow tempo and sagging D. Why go through that agony.
We have Nika, Lou, AG and AE as our best athletes. With Dorka hitting big shots and playing hard inside. Our athletes can compete with theirs.
Let them!!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am making a small adjustment from my original prognostication on my analysis thread...I think my prediction had the score for both teams about 5 points too high. I will stick with the same MOV of 11 points but...new prognostication is

South Carolina - 75
UConn - 64

MOV - 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members