Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
General Summary:

Of course the conventional wisdom is that UConn will get blown out by the Gamecocks...after all they are a severely depleted team with as much fire power on the bench as is on the floor. That is to say without even mentioning that South Carolina is the number one team in the nation. The analysis must start out with, "Why is SC the number one team in the nation"? Well, one could say it starts and ends with Aliyah Boston...but, that would only be partially true. SC has a deep bench, a lot of bigs, Dawn plays 12 players pretty consistently. Her stars only average 24 minutes per game. Cook, Beal and Cooper may only have 6 assists between them but as a team they average 16.6 assists...which is why their bigs get the ball. Dawn has the luxury to go with a well-balanced guard / forward starting line-up to wear down the opposition, often times getting them in foul trouble and then sub in her bigs to torture opponents with a hard to defend big, long line-up with all kinds of match-up problems. They can go deep into the line-up without sacrificing much. They average 82 points per game but, defensively they get the job done. They do this by averaging 9.7 blocks per game...if our players try to drive the middle SC will have a "block party". When you put SC's ability to block shots, rebound the ball (50.9 per game) together with their ability to steal the basketball (8 per game) you can easily see why they hold their opponents to only 46 points per game.

Dawn has played the same starting line-up all season: Zia Cook- 5'9" guard; Aliyah Boston 6'5" forward; Brea Beal 6'1" guard; Victoria Saxton 6'2" forward; Kiera Fletcher 5'9". This line-up is a very experience, upperclassmen laden line-up (four seniors and a graduate student)...doesn't get much more experienced than that which probably accounts for why they only turn the ball over 13 times per game.

This analysis must be done from a starters perspective and from Dawn's big line-up perspective:

Aaliyah Edwards vs Victoria Saxton - While Victoria starts every game she only plays 15 minutes per game...she will be replaced by a bigger, stronger player....either Kamila Cardoso 6'7" or Laeticia Amihere 6'4"; or Sania Faegin 6'3" or Ashlyn Watkins 6'3"...I think you can see what I mean by a deep bench with bigs just waiting to come in and finished off a tired, foul laden opponent. Victoria averages 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds and for 15 minutes that probably isn't bad...depending on who substitutes in for her will determine the overall point / rebounding impact at this position. If Aaliyah can stay out of foul trouble...which I believe will be a very difficult task for her in this game and if Aaliyah can play at the same level she has been playing at then I would predict that this position will result in: ADVANTAGE - EVEN...however, if Aaliyah gets into foul trouble there is no one on the bench who can handle the bigs at this position.... ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Dorka Jurasz vs Aliyah Boston
- I don't think that there is anyone on the planet who thinks that Aliyah Boston despite her averages of 12.7 points and 9.7 rebounds won't be up for this game and won't dominate the game. Dorka has been a God-send to UConn and I don't know where we would be without her. Her last outing against Providence was monstrous 19 points and 17 rebounds but that was against a Big East's bottom-feeder. This match-up will be otherworldly different. I think Dorka makes things difficult for Boston for a little while but, I think foul trouble will make Dorka's ability to stop the All American Boston almost impossible. ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Aubrey Griffin vs Brea Beal
- Brea Beal averages 23 minutes per game so it can be assumed that her substitution will be made in order to get a bigger player into the line-up which will make Aubrey have to work harder on defense. But, I believe Aubrey is a candidate for defensive player of the year and is capable assuming she stays out of foul trouble of holding her opponent's below their averages. I am not sure if Aubrey will be able to score against the starting line-up of South Carolina as they are sure to get back on defense and take away the run-outs of UConn and then you will have the bigs clogging up the middle waiting to kick-off their "block party". When the bigger line-up is in...I think that creates possibilities for Aubrey to get out and run the fast break... ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Kiera Fletcher
- This is another starter who only averages 15 minutes per game...which makes Dawn's substitution pattern more important as to how the advantage will play at this position. Hopefully, Lou can move freely without getting bumped on every cut and that she can find the space to get her 3 point shot off. I think despite Dawn's ability to play multiple players against Lou that Lou will find herself in this game. Lou loves to compete in the big games. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Zia Cook
- Zia is Dawn's point guard and remember Dawn was a point guard herself. Zia is averaging a team high 15.8 points per game in just 24 minutes of play. She hits 2 three pointers per game. She is a shoot first guard only averaging 2.1 assists per game. Nika's pesty defense will hopefully keep Zia under her scoring averages and cut into her offensive contributions to the team. Nika's ability to distribute the basketball to her teammates will be crucial in this match-up. I hope Nika can stay out of foul trouble as we will need her to stay on the floor. If she stays on the floor... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench
- We go three deep with 8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game while South Carolina goes 12 deep with 39 points and 23 rebounds per game. ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Coaching
- Geno and Dawn are both excellent coaches...Geno's coaching depth may be overall better but Dawn and her staff have more to work with... ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Intangibles
- Much of the intangibles have been discussed up in the general summary portion of this analysis but, what wasn't mentioned above is that this game is a home game for UConn...the friendly crowd will help some and may account for 5 points or so...but, as far as a game changer is concerned I would say no...the home court advantage will not both South Carolina all that much at least not as much as UConn's short bench and UConn's overworked mental and physical resilience.
ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

South Carolina - 79
UConn - 68

MOV - 11

Reaction Score
Good assessment. Only change I would make is Nika and ZC as EVEN. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up to GA and DS as EVEN in the coaching dept. but yeah, you're probably right.

Gamecocks - 76
Huskies - 65

sun

Reaction Score
I hope the ref's call a very tight game and that playing away negatively affects Scar's execution by causing them to have jitters.
I'd rather see the game won by good playmaking & shooting ability instead of by which team can play rougher & get away with it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Caroline not exactly sharpshooters from 12’ and beyond. We keep that percentage to under 40 there’s a chance we can pull it out, but that requires a good night (B+) from both Lou and Aaliyah, turnovers around 10-12 and good ‘d’ from Nika and Aubrey. I know, a lot to ask.

Reaction Score
I think we will have a very hard time breaking 50 points. SC will be all over everybody making it difficult to get good shots off. We will have to hope that we can make contested shots all nite. TO s will be our bane.

Reaction Score
South Caroline not exactly sharpshooters from 12’ and beyond. We keep that percentage to under 40 there’s a chance we can pull it out, but that requires a good night (B+) from both Lou and Aaliyah, turnovers around 10-12 and good ‘d’ from Nika and Aubrey. I know, a lot to ask.
last game against SC they shot 36% and we had only 15 TO s yet lost by 15 because we gave up 23 OB s

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Good assessment. Only change I would make is Nika and ZC as EVEN. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up to GA and DS as EVEN in the coaching dept. but yeah, you're probably right.

Gamecocks - 76
Huskies - 65
When did Dawn Staley reach "a coaching legend?" Only in the mind of SC fans and ESPN, and Carolyn Peck.

Reaction Score
General Summary:

Of course the conventional wisdom is that UConn will get blown out by the Gamecocks...after all they are a severely depleted team with as much fire power on the bench as is on the floor. That is to say without even mentioning that South Carolina is the number one team in the nation. The analysis must start out with, "Why is SC the number one team in the nation"? Well, one could say it starts and ends with Aliyah Boston...but, that would only be partially true. SC has a deep bench, a lot of bigs, Dawn plays 12 players pretty consistently. Her stars only average 24 minutes per game. Cook, Beal and Cooper may only have 6 assists between them but as a team they average 16.6 assists...which is why their bigs get the ball. Dawn has the luxury to go with a well-balanced guard / forward starting line-up to wear down the opposition, often times getting them in foul trouble and then sub in her bigs to torture opponents with a hard to defend big, long line-up with all kinds of match-up problems. They can go deep into the line-up without sacrificing much. They average 82 points per game but, defensively they get the job done. They do this by averaging 9.7 blocks per game...if our players try to drive the middle SC will have a "block party". When you put SC's ability to block shots, rebound the ball (50.9 per game) together with their ability to steal the basketball (8 per game) you can easily see why they hold their opponents to only 46 points per game.

Dawn has played the same starting line-up all season: Zia Cook- 5'9" guard; Aliyah Boston 6'5" forward; Brea Beal 6'1" guard; Victoria Saxton 6'2" forward; Kiera Fletcher 5'9". This line-up is a very experience, upperclassmen laden line-up (four seniors and a graduate student)...doesn't get much more experienced than that which probably accounts for why they only turn the ball over 13 times per game.

This analysis must be done from a starters perspective and from Dawn's big line-up perspective:

Aaliyah Edwards vs Victoria Saxton - While Victoria starts every game she only plays 15 minutes per game...she will be replaced by a bigger, stronger player....either Kamila Cardoso 6'7" or Laeticia Amihere 6'4"; or Sania Faegin 6'3" or Ashlyn Watkins 6'3"...I think you can see what I mean by a deep bench with bigs just waiting to come in and finished off a tired, foul laden opponent. Victoria averages 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds and for 15 minutes that probably isn't bad...depending on who substitutes in for her will determine the overall point / rebounding impact at this position. If Aaliyah can stay out of foul trouble...which I believe will be a very difficult task for her in this game and if Aaliyah can play at the same level she has been playing at then I would predict that this position will result in: ADVANTAGE - EVEN...however, if Aaliyah gets into foul trouble there is no one on the bench who can handle the bigs at this position.... ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Dorka Jurasz vs Aliyah Boston
- I don't think that there is anyone on the planet who thinks that Aliyah Boston despite her averages of 12.7 points and 9.7 rebounds won't be up for this game and won't dominate the game. Dorka has been a God-send to UConn and I don't know where we would be without her. Her last outing against Providence was monstrous 19 points and 17 rebounds but that was against a Big East's bottom-feeder. This match-up will be otherworldly different. I think Dorka makes things difficult for Boston for a little while but, I think foul trouble will make Dorka's ability to stop the All American Boston almost impossible. ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Aubrey Griffin vs Brea Beal
- Brea Beal averages 23 minutes per game so it can be assumed that her substitution will be made in order to get a bigger player into the line-up which will make Aubrey have to work harder on defense. But, I believe Aubrey is a candidate for defensive player of the year and is capable assuming she stays out of foul trouble of holding her opponent's below their averages. I am not sure if Aubrey will be able to score against the starting line-up of South Carolina as they are sure to get back on defense and take away the run-outs of UConn and then you will have the bigs clogging up the middle waiting to kick-off their "block party". When the bigger line-up is in...I think that creates possibilities for Aubrey to get out and run the fast break... ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Kiera Fletcher
- This is another starter who only averages 15 minutes per game...which makes Dawn's substitution pattern more important as to how the advantage will play at this position. Hopefully, Lou can move freely without getting bumped on every cut and that she can find the space to get her 3 point shot off. I think despite Dawn's ability to play multiple players against Lou that Lou will find herself in this game. Lou loves to compete in the big games. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Zia Cook
- Zia is Dawn's point guard and remember Dawn was a point guard herself. Zia is averaging a team high 15.8 points per game in just 24 minutes of play. She hits 2 three pointers per game. She is a shoot first guard only averaging 2.1 assists per game. Nika's pesty defense will hopefully keep Zia under her scoring averages and cut into her offensive contributions to the team. Nika's ability to distribute the basketball to her teammates will be crucial in this match-up. I hope Nika can stay out of foul trouble as we will need her to stay on the floor. If she stays on the floor... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench
- We go three deep with 8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game while South Carolina goes 12 deep with 39 points and 23 rebounds per game. ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

Coaching
- Geno and Dawn are both excellent coaches...Geno's coaching depth may be overall better but Dawn and her staff have more to work with... ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Intangibles
- Much of the intangibles have been discussed up in the general summary portion of this analysis but, what wasn't mentioned above is that this game is a home game for UConn...the friendly crowd will help some and may account for 5 points or so...but, as far as a game changer is concerned I would say no...the home court advantage will not both South Carolina all that much at least not as much as UConn's short bench and UConn's overworked mental and physical resilience.
ADVANTAGE - SOUTH CAROLINA

South Carolina - 79
UConn - 68

MOV - 11
Cook isn't their point guard. So the match-up would be Nika vs Fletcher and Lou vs Cook.

Reaction Score
On paper, SC is very deep (especially in the front court) while UConn is not. Foul troubles for SC will not slow them down while foul troubles for UConn will severely diminish the ability of UConn to stay in this game. I just don't see how against a team like SC that will crush the offensive boards, UConn does not get into foul trouble. As UConn had issue in rebounding against TN and SC is bigger and more athletic than TN, that does not bode well. I do think that UConn can hold SC on defense to about 70-75 points so the question is, can UConn score about 75 to 80 points against this SC. team. I guess, that is why they play the games...

Reaction Score
All part of the overreach in superlatives we tend to throw around far too loosely.Transcends sports…

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am guessing that Dawn has watched some film of this season Huskie games and will lean towards the same defensive plan - see how much physicality that they can get away with, especially on Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah, in that order. And they have the bench strength to get away with a ton of physicality...

And I don't really want to compare the NC game with this game because we are a completely different team. We had Paige, Azzi and Caroline available last April. We won't have them on Sunday. But we do have Lou, Aubrey and Dorka this Sunday, so...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This one is going to be incredibly tough assuming we go in with the 8 available players we had against Providence.

Defensively, I’d look for us to help off of certain perimeter players to clog the interior. I really think we need a lock down defender on Cooke because she’s the only player I’m confident can hit a flurry of outside shots. The key will be to defensive rebound. It’s going to take a lot of guts and effort, but eliminating second opportunities will be huge. Not convinced we’ll be able to though.

Offensively, a lot of the interior options we get in the big east will be unavailable. Given our depth, outrunning South Carolina isn’t a big option either. We’re going to need consistent outside shooting from Lou, and maybe more importantly, Nika and Dorka. Dorka has been shooting the ball very well recently, and if she can draw out the defense, Aaliyah may get opportunities inside.

Overall, it’s pretty much going to take doing everything well, plus a little luck!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I see a low scoring game which should cut down on the TO's. The adrenaline with be flowing sky high and with the fight, determination and guts we have been playing with I think we will fair better then most think. Rebounding will be huge and for a change we have Dorka Aaliyah and The Griff which we did not have the latter 2 last season. The only question for me is can we find that extra level of energy/speed especially late in the game. Im picking my Huskies by single digits. 67-62

Reaction Score
There is no universe in which Dawn is the equal of Geno in coaching! She’s a good coach with superior numbers and a dominant big, Geno is a great coach with five players who are mentally and physically exhausted and no bench production. SC is, and should be, a huge favorite in this game and will probably win fairly easily but it will not be because of coaching.
A great many things will have to happen in order for us to win. It is not impossible but very unlikely. However, stranger things have happened and I believe we are certainly more talented with our starting unit. Foul trouble, rebounding, and whether we can score against their vaunted defensive ability will determine the outcome of this game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope the ref's call a very tight game and that playing away negatively affects Scar's execution by causing them to have jitters.
I'd rather see the game won by good playmaking & shooting ability instead of by which team can play rougher & get away with it.
Agree in principle, but a tightly called the game benefits the team with more depth. That’s not us.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, Zia is having a really good year. But, against ranked teams, averaging over 30+ minutes,...

UCLA...35 min...26% shooting...12 points...5 of 19
Stanford...37 min...23% shooting...13 points...3 of 13
MD...29 minutes...29% shooting...18 points...4 of 14

She IS..an 80% FT shooter so don't foul her.

I wouldn't repeatedly give her uncontested shots, but boxing out or helping on their bigs would take priority for sure. They have Hall but make her a hero on a big stage and see if she wants the job. Folks say Beal shoots 40% from 3. True. She also shoots less than 40% overall. This isn't a must game win for either team, but IMO there's more pressure for SC. It's an away game. They don't want to lose a game to crippled UCONN while claiming a change of the guard in WCBB. They're undefeated.

My strategy would be to force SC to make jumpshots and not a bunch of putbacks. Play some zone. I would also shorten the game and run long offensive half court sets, unless there was a clear breakaway opportunity.

Kat

Reaction Score
I watched the SC vs Stanford game and noticed a few things. When Boston got into some foul trouble and had to sit down, the rest of the team went through one of those phases where no one wanted to take a shot. Boston returned and so did their offense but I was not impressed with the support. I did notice that in the 4th quarter, with the score almost even, that the SC players started knocking the Stanford players on their butts. Should have been fouls called but SC was getting some help. At a pivotal point, Staley came storming onto the court, hollering about a call. She should have been T'd, and that would have been critical. She's a great coach but Geno does not lose control like that in a big game.

I think a key to this game is how the refs are going to call the rough stuff, and how the players maintain their poise. I like our chances.

sun

Reaction Score
Agree in principle, but a tightly called the game benefits the team with more depth. That’s not us.
I understand your point but think that a tightly officiated game benefits the team that fouls less, and the more talented team shouldn't need to foul more in order to win.
UConn starters simply need to adjust to the level of officiating.
I don't mind that a tightly officiated game can cut both ways.
Let the chips fall where they may by having a good clean game allowing both teams to display their BB talent.
I think that the UConn starters could benefit by it since they can get tired out faster by needing to play the game as high on the roughness scale as Scar.
And if UConn plays a cleaner game then they'll benefit by drawing more fouls which could lead to foul troubles for the Scar starters & more foul shots for us.
It should also help to keep our players from being overly abused since we still need everyone to stay healthy to finish out our schedule, and rough play increases injury risks.
I'm trying to explain that there can be more to benefiting from it than whether one team has more depth or not.
Also 3 days after the Scar game UConn plays Marquette in Milwaukie.
I generally like to see teams play by staying within the straight & narrow paths rather than on the open range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the consensus, really, that we may get blown out? IDTS. UConn, even in it's current fatigued state, is a really, really good team. Having said that, they are playing the best team. It should be close.

I will say this: South Carolina wins, if both play their A game, or B game, or C game, respectively. However, if South Carolina does not match or exceed UConn's game (A, B, or whatever), they will lose. UConn's B game will beat South Carolina's C game for example.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Before all the injuries, I felt strongly that UConn had a distinct advantage in the backcourt over SC, with enough depth in the frontcourt to hang in there against SC’s towering frontcourt. That combination would have given UConn the very real possibility of upsetting SC.

As it stands now, the possibility of a UConn win is remote at best. I’m hoping the Huskies hang in there and maybe get a 2nd chance in the Big Dance with Caroline & Azzi back in the lineup.

As for SC, they have one of the simplest and most effective game plans in WBB. Play tough defense, get shots up on offense and crash the boards in waves. It’s not very sophisticated, but it’s almost impossible to defeat given the size and depth of SC’s roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom