Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To all the UConn fans who are posting UConn will get blown out. Take a look at our schedule and who we beat. We've been talking about how good this UConn team is all season and many feel we are a top 4 team. Why now do we have so many non believers? I think we are a pretty good team and I dont think we will get blown out. If we do we do but we have shown alot of guts and resilience this season. I think we can show it again on Sunday. If we loose I dont think it will be for a lack of effort.

Reaction Score
She was coming off the court limping against Stanford. One good game doesn’t mean she’s 100%. Just because her 80% is great doesn’t mean it’s not still 80%
I did not see Paige doing any limping in the National Championship game. How do you know she was 80%? Was this stated by Geno or a doctor ? I am not trying to be smart, but you consistently throw that number out. I doubt if anyone after a long season is truly 100%.

Reaction Score
Amihere certainly is. Cardoso is not. Watkins looks quick. Feagins doesn’t. It’s a mixed bag.
As a whole, the second group is the bigger faster lineup. We always pick up the pace with that unit. If SC pick up full court, it more times than not will be that unit with Zia. Cardosa, is not as quick as Boston but she would beat her in a foot race.

Reaction Score
Georgia has the former UCF coach, Coach Abe
Hence...the unchained aggression and all those fouls. GA committed some silly fouls. Maybe not 45, but a lot. And they missed a lot of FTs and they boxed out like a bunch of 5th graders. Games don't usually elevate my blood pressure or kill my mood, but every time GA went for the ball before boxing out I found myself screaming at the tv.

Reaction Score
I did not see Paige doing any limping in the National Championship game. How do you know she was 80%? Was this stated by Geno or a doctor ? I am not trying to be smart, but you consistently throw that number out. I doubt if anyone after a long season is truly 100%.
It was stated by Geno and Paige.

Reaction Score
Hopefully her and the other injured players are back for the tournament in March. I would love to see how SC would defend a healthy Azzi Fudd.
I think they'd just put Beal on her. I think the question would be how do they defend Lou and Fudd together? I think we will also miss Azzi and Carolyns rebounding and defense this game as they are both great defensive and rebounding guards, in addition to three point scorers.

Really unfortunate that they are out.

Reaction Score
I think they'd just put Beal on her. I think the question would be how do they defend Lou and Fudd together? I think we will also miss Azzi and Carolyns rebounding and defense this game as they are both great defensive and rebounding guards, in addition to three point scorers.

Really unfortunate that they are out.
Interesting question. Two years ago, Beal was not able to contain Paige. She's stronger and quicker now, I suspect. But I also think Paige may be a harder matchup for anyone than Azzi is. It's not that Azzi can't do what Paige does, like that unstoppable pop-up midrange jump shot -- she often show she can hit those two -- but she doesn't quite seem to have Paige's killer instinct. So Beal might be able to contain Azzi, or at least do so for part of a game. Lou has a bit of that killer instinct, too.

Reaction Score
Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. here ya go:

...........................................SCar/UConn (rounded)
Pts/game scored------- 82/81
Pts/gm opponents------46/59
FG%----------------------47/52
FT%----------------------69/76
Offens rebs. /gm--------19/16
Defense rebs/gm--------32/31
Turnovers/gm------------13/17
TOs forced/gm-----------16/15
Steals/gm-----------------8/7
asst/TO ratio------------- 1/1
Blocks/gm---------------10/4

Stats from before each team's most recent games.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will try to pack the inside and gamble that SC outside shooting won't be good- packing the area around the basket to get rebounds- but identifying who is your player to box out if they play a version of a zone is going to be tricky.

Reaction Score
I think it will be an exciting game and think the players on both teams will be excited for this match-up. I mean, for real, our two teams have elite athletes that came to our schools to win a championship. They weren't deterred because there were better players ahead of them and they are still there because they have bought into the "team" concept. They live for these moments.

SC's calling card is defense. I haven't missed watching a game either in person or on the screen since they started televising all the games which was before A'ja played for SC. This defense is elite. You may break it down for a while, but they just wear out their opponents because they have to work so hard to get open to shoot. If the defense has done its job, by the 4th Q fouls, tired legs, and frustration take a toll. We are really 10 deep. Dawn will keep moving pieces until she finds what works. We have that luxury.

There's no doubt UConn has a beautiful offense when it's allowed to flow. If that happens, the Huskies win. No question if you had your full roster healthy it would be a different game. This is a game until the 4th quarter but SC wins. We are healthy, our starters are well rested, and we are big, big, big.

Reaction Score
I believe they played in the Finals in the November Bahama Tournament and Uconn got blown out.
Correct. In a previous email, I incorrectly referred to the Atlantis tournament game against SC in Nov. 2021 as "last year." In this early season game, UConn came out strong and lead by 6 points after one quarter and 3 at halftime. While Huskies were in control for much of that game, they faded at the end of the 3rd quarter and had one of the worst quarters in UConn history, only scoring 3 in the 4th. My point was that when UConn ran and played up tempo against Boston and her then teammates, they did well. When they tried to run a slowdown, half-court offense, it was not pretty.

Reaction Score
If I was Dawn, I would use all 11 players and press for 40 minutes. By Q4, UConn (Nika in particular) could not possibly compete, given that we probably won't sub (particularly at guard). No reflection on our players, just a fact.

Reaction Score
You forgot point, in which UConn has an advantage. Nika quietly is becoming a star. A game of this magnitude could define her. She can pressure the ball, get some steals, push the ball in transition, AND hit some shots. Advantage UConn. Nobody mentions that SC doesn't have Destiny Henderson anymore. It's gunna get them. Let's hope it happens Sunday.
'Quietly?' ;)

Reaction Score
At a neutral site like in the NCAAT's, folks would expect less officiating & to let them play rougher.
But at a Big East home court I'd want the ref's to be more in control of the game.
The extra fouls would help give UConn players more breathers during the game too.
If they enforce tight rules from the beginning then players will be more careful to not foul.

I'm sure that Geno will give his starters the message to be careful because they don't have much of a bench, and to not take their court liberties for granted.
Especially with being such a high profile game with #1 at stake.
That's my hunch, let's wait & see if it works out that way to keep the game close/closer.
What folks have that expectation? You, perhaps. I certainly don't.

While I acknowledge that it is not realistic, I expect every game to be officiated according to the rule book, consistently, regardless of venue, regardless of the nature of the competition. Why should should it make a difference who the home team is? Why should it make a difference if the game is against an unranked team in December or top ranked teams in March or April?

Reaction Score
Two inches
When I think about the height of women players, I add 5-6 inches to them for an equivalency. So, PB would be 6'5", Nika 6'4", AE 6"8", and Boston 6'10", let's say.
So, most of the time in men's, there's a difference between 6'8" and 6"10. Center vs. Forward, etc.
AE's out of position vs. Boston IMO.
Not unprecedented: Anyone remember Elvin Hayes and Lew Alcindor at the Astrodome?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I am making a small adjustment from my original prognostication on my analysis thread...I think my prediction had the score for both teams about 5 points too high. I will stick with the same MOV of 11 points but...new prognostication is

South Carolina - 75
UConn - 64

MOV - 11
I didn't see any prognostication on the Prognosticator's Predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom