Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I didn't know until today that Tampa Bay is very shallow (average depth 11-12 ft). wow.
Irma dragged the water out so far that people could walk over a mile into the bay without hitting water. There was a lot of concern that the water would rush back in a drown those that stupidly went out that far. Fortunately the water didn't rush back in more like an ooze! We still haven't lost power but the water oh my

Reaction Score
I am in Venice - The eye is supposed to go right over us in a few hours. My accordion shutters are slamming and the wind is whistling - rain like crazy.
@huskyinfl

I hope you are ok. My sister and nephews live in Venice, and I can't get a hold of her. Is the forecast still predicting the eye to go over Venice?

Reaction Score
@huskyinfl

I hope you are ok. My sister and nephews live in Venice, and I can't get a hold of her. Is the forecast still predicting the eye to go over Venice?
Might be a little further south - wind is really picking up - screaming. Eye is huge but seems like a North Port direct hit now. Where in Venice ? I live in the neighborhood behind the Venice YMCA if you google that. Just popped my front door open - wind is insanely whipping left and right like I have never seen before. Will be tons of down trees

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I am in Venice - The eye is supposed to go right over us in a few hours. My accordion shutters are slamming and the wind is whistling - rain like crazy.

My in laws are also in Venice. Stay safe!

Reaction Score
Wind reportedly kicking up, no tornadoes reported, storm surge flooding for Sarasota property TBD (3:20 pm high tide). County fire dept halted responding to calls just south in North Port.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1664385643250.jpg

Reaction Score
It is crazy - peeked outside and saw some insulation. some of my soffit is gone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is going to be awful.

Yeah. I really hope those in mandatory evacuation areas took heed and left the area. The tidal surge and flooding is going to decimate utility infrastructure. This isn't a storm comes in on Wed/Thurs, Friday you clean up yard and are back to normal by the weekend. This is going to be weeks just to get some semblance of utilities functioning.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We live in Poinciana, southwest of Kissimmee, in a 55+ community. We went into a hurricane warning last night. The predicted path of Ian will take it right over our community. However, it should be downgraded to a tropical storm by then. This event is predicted to run to late Friday morning. Monday afternoon the decision to close the village, all buildings and all 14 pools was made. Been down this road before with Irma 5 years ago.

Sand was brought in yesterday for those who choose to sandbag their entrances.

Right now we have steady light rain with winds averaging around 10 mph. Starting tonight to tomorrow morning will be the worst. Heavy rain could total at least 18". Winds will be 50 to 60 mph will gust pushing 70+ mph. Flooding is expected. We have a pretty good drainage system. There are concerns that it may not be able to handle this much rain. We'll find out.

Once winds exceed 35 mph, all first responders and their vehicles will be off the road.

The vast majority of the houses in the community were built with the then new building codes. These codes were developed and put into effect after 2004 when 5 hurricanes hit Florida. New builds will withstand a Cat 3 hurricane. This includes windows, doors and lanais.

Our CERT team, Solivita CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) has already been activated by Polk County Fire/ Rescue. That was Monday. We are all trained volunteers. Our job will be to survey the community for damage. That will be transmitted to Polk County Fire/ Rescue. We will also assist neighbors who need help. We have a pretty sophisticated communications system that notify us of people in need. We have hand held two way portable radios. Most of us have either an FCC ham operator license or GMRS license. We have two repeater stations for communications. In fact I have my radio on the charging stand and on right now. My wife has hers on in the office.

I am one of the team leaders for a Search and Rescue team. We go out equiped with complete medical bags to deal with almost any situation. Each of us has a Go Bag supplied by Polk County Fire/ Rescue. The Go Bag has a variety of items needed out in the field. This is what we train for.

For our Florida Boneyarders, stay safe out there!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yeah. I really hope those in mandatory evacuation areas took heed and left the area. The tidal surge and flooding is going to decimate utility infrastructure. This isn't a storm comes in on Wed/Thurs, Friday you clean up yard and are back to normal by the weekend. This is going to be weeks just to get some semblance of utilities functioning.

I-4 from Tampa to Orlando was packed yesterday. Travel speeds were under 40 mph. Estimates last night were around 2.3 million had evacuated Tampa and surounding areas.

Reaction Score
Might be a little further south - wind is really picking up - screaming. Eye is huge but seems like a North Port direct hit now. Where in Venice ? I live in the neighborhood behind the Venice YMCA if you google that. Just popped my front door open - wind is insanely whipping left and right like I have never seen before. Will be tons of down trees
Please stay safe.

They are on Park Boulevard North. Still no contact. They live in a condo there. 2nd floor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I-4 from Tampa to Orlando was packed yesterday. Travel speeds were under 40 mph. Estimates last night were around 2.3 million had evacuated Tampa and surounding areas.

So, same as it is every day on the Thunderdome? At least they got most if not all the I-4 construction around Orlando done.

Reaction Score

Best to you!

Reaction Score
Half of my family live in Tampa and St. Pete. Some evacuated, some didn’t. My uncle who lives in CT now is supposed to close on his house in Sarasota on Monday…if there’s still a house to close on that is. This seems nuts, talked to a few fam members that are down there and stayed and it’s beyond their worst fears they said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom